Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart + (Coolmine LC closure issues)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

The train would only be impacted if a vehicle gets stuck on the train crossing. Someone "breaking the lights" makes no difference to the LC closing.

Absolutely agree that capacity improvements and electrification of the line are a good thing. Just would prefer for a solution that negatively impacts the least eg.: closure of LC and building of bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

There would be a pedestrian and cycle bridge so your journey would be a bit longer, but only the time it takes to cross the bridge

Simple solution would be to install or utilise current cameras that automatically send out fines & penalty points to anyone breaking the lights such as in many states in the US. This with accompanying signage would solve the issue quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not necessarily. As I understand it, and I could be wrong, these delays happen fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If this was practically or legislatively simple, they'd have done it for Merrion Gates decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So really it's only people who drive who'd be affected, and there are alternate routes anyway.

Basically, big whoop. Build the damn thing!

AFAIK there already are cameras in the City which specifically catch those breaking red lights so it shouldn't be that difficult? If it is, while legislation etc. is being sorted then have some of the patrolling guards set up in a not too obvious spot and go to town. Having looked up the occurence at merrion gates, the mind does boggle how people manage to hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There aren't. There were, and they're gone.

Merrion gates is part red light breaking and part over-height vehicles hitting the wires - a constant risk at all electrified crossings and exceptionally difficult to enforce by camera

That's a shame, would have through they were kept and more put in place to deal with the widespread breaking of red lights.

I see that now, increased fines and pp in that instance would seem to be the only way then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There were 60 level crossing incidents in Ireland in 2020. 155 in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, that could be a theory all right. However, IR decided that a two minute close before the train would be safer than a one minute close just to let the idiots time to get through on the red lights, and if they strike the gates, the train can stop in time. Of course, most times, the idiot manages to get through unscathed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A lot of incidents at LCs involve vehicles striking the barrier in some way. Some are really minor, some end up with the arm strewn across the track. The end result is the same either way though, trains can't go through until everything is checked out and made safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lots of talk here about residents opposing the level crossing being closed?

as a resident it’s all news to me, I don’t know anyone who is giving out about the proposed closure.

but I only see one poster who is against it and seems to believe it won’t happen.

Am I missing something?

Also nobody has picked up on my above posts regarding the lack of a bridge at the new Kellystown development??? Why is there no bridge being built there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The issue with building a new bridge as part of the new Kellystown development is the same as building a new bridge as part of DART+; where do you put it?

Wherever it is proposed, somebody is going to have an issue with it. They have already dropped the proposed bridge at Stationcourt Way so the precedent is set, complain enough and the bridge will get dropped. There is just no acceptable location so no bridge will be provided, but of course the people who brought about this situation still aren't happy.

This attitude is exactly the problem. Someone breaking the lights makes no difference until the day it actually does make a difference.

Well no.

there is a big difference between building a bridge on a greenfield site and one through an existing housing estate.

planning for kellystown without a bridge shows a lack of foresight and common sense. It’

Kellystown may be a greenfield south of the rail line/canal but there are existing housing estates north of it. Where do you propose building a north/south bridge that won't draw opposition?

Where they were initially going to build Lidl maybe?

or could go slightly further west around west mans town and link over to ongar

I assume you mean where Aldi applied on Clonsilla Road? That would be a good spot for a replacement bridge for the Clonsilla LC (although no doubt there would still be objections from residents in the area over the visual impact and bringing additional traffic). I doesn't help much in terms of Coolmine and all the current complaints over closing the LC would still remain.

• Advertisement

Of course it helps. Having more bridges spreads out the traffic so it’s not all shoehorned down the same route

It might help a bit but I don't think it really addresses the issues raised at Coolmine. Very few people east of the DTB will drive past it to use a bridge further west, most will still want to use the DTB. A new bridge where you suggest is going to alleviate very few of the current objections to closing the Coolmine LC but would bring in new objections from people who don't want a bridge at that location. Like I said, it might help in terms of closing Clonsilla but not in terms of Coolmine.

well my tupence worth from living in Riverwood for the last 20 years .

I see it all the time, countless cars using chapelizod to avoid the m50 toll. They head over the level crossing or DR Troy bridge on to their destination in Blanch, clonsilla, but I know a lot to further out, ongar, clonee, dunboyne and beyond. The only route they use is through the housing estates in carpenterstown.

so it’s not just a local route, it is a busy rat run.

so give them a proper alternative, drive them onto a better road….. ie improve the porterstown road down past the hotel all the way down to westmanstown and put a bridge there to link up with ongar. Pretty much green field all the way at the moment but guaranteed to be built up over the coming years. This will take a hell of a lot of the traffic away from the built up housing estates.

problem in this country is we don’t think and plan ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

When you look at it, it's incredibly poor planning and you would really hope that ABP pick up on this.

From Castleknock to Clonsilla, the plan closes three bridges (Coolmine, Porterstown and Clonsilla), leaving only two open (Fr Troy and Granard).

While Coolmine is by some distance the busiest of the three being closed, there will be some knock-on effect from the other two closing too. There will be traffic chaos, for everyone in D15.

IE could easily leave the Coolmine crossing open. They just don't want to. Fair enough, but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to. The train should have priority but not absolute carte blanche to f**K everyone else over.

Close it at rush hour, leave it functional the rest of the day. I genuinely don't see why that can't be done.

IE are absolutely incompetent and should not be trusted with a project of this magnitude unsupervised. It won't end well.

"There will be traffic chaos, for everyone in D15."

"Close it at rush hour, leave it functional the rest of the day. I genuinely don't see why that can't be done."

This is contradictory.

The only time there will be traffic chaos will be at rush hour, so by closing it at rush hour you're not preventing any of the chaos you say will result.

You're also, as all people always do, ignoring the indisputable fact that less traffic space leads to less traffic and that provision of better public transport encourages modal shift, and you're also ignoring the fact that the roads that traffic would be diverted on to will be upgraded to increase flow.

It takes some neck to call rail engineers incompetent when your suggestion literally causes the issue you're trying to avoid.

The proper alternative is the rail line, not more roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Over developed (vs the infrastructure) and abysmal planning. They've done the same thing for decades. Won't listen.

Most of the bridges are a detriment to the local communities at peak. They suck in rat runners and make it gridlock at peak.

The problem with Porterstown Road is that is has no where go. Its bottlenecked at Castleknock college, Castleknock Village, Chapelizod. There is no fixing that.

Porterstown Road has gone from a country road to a high speed rat run once they opened Dr Troy to it. It will only get worse. It going to be shame when they concrete over every bit of green they can see.

If you don't want to be in traffic, go off peak or don't drive. Otherwise you are in a car, you are traffic and its only going to get worse.

• Advertisement

Yes caiimhin of course you are right. Everyone should get rid of their cars and just rely on public transport 🙄

Advertisement