Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI won't cover Mater Private hospitals

• 07-10-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

I have had VHI for years. Recently got referred by a GP to a consultant in Mater Private Cork for a back problem. Had an MRI, VHI covered that. Saw the consultant, knew I had to pay that myself. Got booked in for a caudal epidural and found out just the afternoon before that VHI don't cover Mater Private (a High-Tech hospital category) on my policy. I had to pay €900. On a procedure that's not guaranteed to even work, I did consider cancelling but instead maxed out my credit card as I've been in agony for 10 weeks now.

My problem now is, if I change cover when I renew in December - A: they will make me wait 2 years before I can avail of higher cover and B: a policy that covers the Mater is over €3,000 per year (my current one was €600 approx, paid for by my job).

I guess the answer is that I just say Bye Bye to the Mater which is a shame as I actually like and have faith in the doctor I've seen and if I did end up needing more injections and/or surgery down the line, I'd have felt so much better having him do it.

I've looked at Irish Life who don't seem to cover Mater Private either - so is the Mater only for people paying huge premiums and/or can afford to pay out of their own pockets?

Anyone know of a policy with an insurer that does cover the Mater and doesn't cost the earth?

Comments

Advertisement