Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Again, that doesn't make sense on two fronts. If this case was as slam-dunk as it's being made out to be, then the cost of litigation is meaningless, since costs would be awarded against the loser. If say 10 families chipped in 5k and fronted the fees you'd have a test case on your hands.

I suspect that there had been no litigation because there is a real chance the homeowners wouldn't win, not because of cost. Which is actually quite astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

What I was told was home owners were presented with the no insurance letter. Told by their solicitor that because of lack of insurance the case would fail. Make of that what you will.

It has been researched more since the mica campaign really took off earlier this year. It turns out it is impossible to get a building contract from Donegal County Council without insurance. There is a department in Kerry that assesses each quarry for insurance before they are even added to the list of possibles to get awarded a contract. However when home owners were told their case would fail they turned to politicians who promised for years to help. Eventually ending up with the scheme announced last year just before the election.

The question has to be asked - why didnt any councillor / TD say "hang on minute - quarries must be insured - get your case going again and we will sort this now - compensation, quarries closed, proper regulation etc." Not 1 councillor knew of the process for awarding contracts? You could argue thats not their job but I think the fact that an inquiry has been ruled out is telling.

Anyway people are starting to go the legal route. Problem is a lot of people dont have that time on their sides. People like to simplify this situation but it is far from simple when you try to come up with a timeline of events. Its shocking how things have been let get this far. This should never have happened.

If that's the advice their solicitor gave them, well then all I can say is they need a new solicitor. Not holding insurance has no bearing on liability. If you could only be sued if you had insurance then no one would have it.

There are some very obvious holes in the protesters story, and quite frankly they need to be honest with the rest of us on why they haven't gone legal, when the ask is this big. Why have they not sued this company out of existence before seeking state support? According to the above, they have a pile of cash, big cars and big houses??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They have gone legal. It didn't work. I'm not sure why I'm even engaging with you on this thread as I've bailed out of the other one due to your postings. Legal action is expensive. I know I couldn't afford it, especially, as it currently stands, I'll be paying a mortgage, as well as rent, as well as costs to get my house fixed. You're very dismissive of everything presented to you and appear to have no empathy for anyone in this shítty situation. Are you just here to bait people? Try putting yourself in my situation.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf whilst hes been combative he's not entirely wrong.

If you even got 1 percent of the number of people that are apparently impacted by this to come together it would be a grand each to club 50,000 on legal action. Which a good lawyer would get something out of. That's a tiny portion of people. If you raised it to ten percent it would be a war chest at very low cost to the complainants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Let me be very clear about this. You are asking questions of the wrong people. You and others seem to think that you have some form of entitlement to answers in this thread. You and others should ask the mica action group, Donegal County Council or Cassidy Brothers who may be in a better position to address your "genuine" concerns.

Hold on now, just because I'm asking questions and don't agree 100% with the mica protesters doesn't mean I don't have empathy. I fully understand that it's a pretty rough situation that the homeowners find themselves in. I have posted previously that the homeowners should get support, it is the right and decent thing to do. What I don't agree with is the level of support that they are seeking. I have issues on a number of fronts:

1. It appears that the affected families have given up on chasing the supplier, that continues to trade. Maybe they have a good reason, but it just looks like they see the state as a softer touch.

2. Demanding uncapped 100% with no family input. This will absolutely lead to run-away costs. The only way costs can be controlled is that if the individual parties have a genuine stake in keeping cost under control.

3. Demanding demolition and rebuild because their engineer won't sign off. Engineers are highly reluctant to put their PI on the line for any existing structure anyway and sign off is only needed for sale. The goal of any state assistance should be safe homes, the fact that they can't be sold is irrelevant.

4. Demanding full demo and full rebuild of empty nests. There seems to be no appreciation that the States role here is to make homes safe and habitable, to meet the needs of the current inhabitants. A retired couple in a 4 bed house with three grown up children shouldn't feel entitled to a like for like replacement. It's needs, not wants. The State should make sure these people have somewhere to live but it shouldn't be in the business making people financially whole.

5. Demanding rebuilds of houses significantly larger than the national average. The average irish family can cope with 160sqm, I don't know why families affected couldn't live with the same.

€3.2bn is the current projected price of the enhanced scheme, which equates to at least €2k+interest for every family in the country. That's a huge amount of social solidarity that's being asked for, and the complaint is that it's not enough?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Same old ground. I'm out.

You must be new to this thread. We've been on the Mr Musician roundabout for months. At least you have some banter.

"He said: “We have to look at the statute of limitations. We have learn the lessons of the past.”

The statute of limitations “may start from the day that one receives independent verification of a defect, as opposed to when someone believes there may be a problem.”"

• Advertisement

This is where you come to understand what people are going through and what they want. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm seriously starting to think mr musician is minister o Brian on boards, definitely quite a comparison how they both can't grasp the simple facts of the matter in hand .

What facts are those that I have failed to grasp?

You know I am entitled to not agree with the demands of the protesters and any/ all the posters on this thread. It isn't some form of heresy. An alternative point of view is legitimate, even if it's hard to stomach.

Trying to paint a picture of everyone living in McMansions, the scourge of one-off rural housing, empty nests, wants-not-needs isn't an alternative point of view. It's trolling. Especially in a thread started years ago, in the Donegal forum, for people to discuss the topic. Kindly keep your entitlement to the thread in the politics forum.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Morning, while I may not agree with all some posters state I do believe, as long as it is civil, it is good that they have the opportunity to raise concerns as the amount of families effected and the expectation being put on the Irish tax payer is significant. I do honestly believe that there is no one in the country that does not believe all the families should receive support - absolutely no one however the challenge is how can this be achieved that results in the families getting safe houses. Another thing I would like to say is that for people who are not aware of any effected families who I've spoken to through work it seems to be the "Like for Like" part which they are un-comfortable with, as with Ireland being Ireland the fear is that it will lose control very quickly and they are not hearing from the campaign group how this will be controlled.

The controlling part of it should be up to the government...but I can see how that could be an issue too as it's lack of government control that lead to so many council houses also being constructed using defective blocks, even though the issue was flagged up years ago.

I've been wondering, since he claims to be in the trade, whether there isn't a financial gains motive lurking behind those questions - that are repeated, ad nauseam - while failing to answer any questions asked of him/herself.

Best not bother answering, in my opinion.

I had to screenshot that as I've no idea how to link to Twitter. Just shows how the government are trying to spin this.

Anyone else on here heading to Dublin tomorrow? We've taken the kids out of school to join us this time. Strength in numbers.

🙄 I'm in the trade but I have no financial or any other interest in this issue other than that of a concerned taxpayer.

I haven't refused to answer any question put to me, at least not knowingly.

It isn't obnoxious either to point out inconvenient truths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Unfortunately all my family have commitments that can't be changed.

I will be heading down on my own, but this time every pair of feet is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks like there will be a big crowd again tomorrow, despite the weather not being as nice as it was in July.

Can't make it myself unfortunately due to work commitments. But family will have people at it ok.

I would like to think that when the task of rebuilding outer leafs/demolishing houses etc actually starts, that the Gov will put the job out to tender to a massive company or two, able to deal with such a task. That way they will have control over the costs.

The way some are talking here, they are assuming that your local builder you know is going to do your house, then move on to your neighbours, then the next etc .....

The scale is too big for that imho, and it'll need some serious thinking about the process before any walls are tossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Anyone who did due diligence and employed the correct professionals should be covered by Mica redress.

But...

.. anyone who went on the cheap, avoided regulations and paid under the table should learn a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Care to explain what you mean by "on the cheap" and what regulations are you referring to?

You might want to read back over this thread, then....

It would be some job to price up thousands of one off houses for any company. I can't see how a company could possibly put in a tender that would not be either drastically over priced or under priced and constantly in need of extra money like the children's hospital.

And thats the reason why I proposed the idea (which I'm sure most of the campaigners wouldn't sign up to) of a template of houses being made available to be rebuilt.

For example, there could be a 2 bed home, 3 bed family home, a 4 bed, a 5 bed. And maybe 2 designs of each, and you pick the one you want built?

That way, the company doing the rebuilding are working off a list of maybe 8 or 10 house types, and its just replicating the same designs over and over?

That would make Inishowen look like one massive housing estate with identical houses everywhere. It wouldn't be for me.

• Advertisement

Agree, and thats the reason why I said many homeowners wouldn't sign up to it.

But trying to come up with some way of finding a compromise that would get this issue sorted.

I think if we want this problem fixed asap, then a huge construction company or two, employed by the state, is the way to go. But its going to be awkward for such a firm to have to rebuild hundreds if not thousands of individually designed homes.

Just putting it out there!

Advertisement