Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wind turbine blades generally last between 20 and 25 years, not the 10 years mentioned in that post, and they can be recycled. GE for example are selling them to a company that uses them to make cement in a way that cuts out a quarter of the CO2 emissions from the cement manufacturing process

A major wind turbine manufacturer, Vestas Wind Systems have announced a new type of resin that can be dissolved and allows the composite to be broken down and recycled. They intend to begin using this within 3 years. Governments need to step up and ban turbine blades from landfill. this will force all manufacturers and operators to be more creative in ways to recycle them or dispose of them responsibly. The industry is working on solutions to these problems.

BTW, the life of a wind turbine is about the same as the life of a commercial jet, you don't hear to many of these people opposed to wind generation whinging about all those unrecyclable fiberglass and composite jets cluttering up the deserts of Arizona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It's called a balanced grid from renewable energy. Nobody is stupid enough to put 100% wind and then wonder why no power when wind dies. You will have loads of renewable technologies. Plenty mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Which ones?

Not solar, because there are plenty of times when both wind and sun are very weak (Winter high pressure)

Not wave because its not scalable

Not tidal because we don't have enough suitable locations

that's not entirely true that they just clutter them up for no reason at Davis Monthan...

It's home to the Aircraft Maintenance And Regeneration Group (AMARG) which is used for a host of different things, mainly storage and pillaging other planes for spares... there are some aircraft which go there, are maintained to a certain extent and returned to service if required.

any nuclear capable aircraft decommissioned from the USAF/Navy/whatever also has to be notified to international bodies and put on display for x amount of time, so other nations satellites (or Open Skies flights) can spot them as "stored" or "destroyed", this is part of the START treaty (if it's still being used)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

I'm delighted to see the public is finally wising up to the "green" party and how much damage they are doing. Famers have been saying it for years but now that why they are doing is finally effecting all of Ireland we can give them the boot.

• Advertisement

I refer back to my post about the greens back up to the same percentage vote they got in last election

Yes they are wising up the the green party and supporting them, I would expect the greens will hope to see that percentage grow like it has been since early 2010's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what damage have they done? what are you blaming them for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am no longer attractive to the opposite sex, and that's the fault of carbon taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A balanced grid is one where if one source is out, especially for maintenance, then others are capable of making up the shortfall. We have now because of years putting resources into wind energy left ourselves in the position that if one gas burning plant is off-line for maintenance we are looking at rooling Winter blackouts or importing nuclear fueled energy.

I have continually asked where this 70% green energy is going to come from within the next 8 years as I can see nothing much in the pipeline, or at least nothing much practical, other than wind. We already have around 30% being supplied from wind but we know it is not a constant reliable source as winds drop. Yet we are ploughing ahead to create even more dependency on wind with no backup plan I can see. So to ask the question yet again, where other than wind is this 70% supposed to be achieved and what source or sources will balance the grid when the wind is not blowing ? Other than importing nuclear from France I have heard nothing from either the Green party or their supporters here.

I don't support the green party. I suppose a cleaner/greener Ireland for my children. If that means I have to vote the Greens to get it then I will, or if another party has a better plan then I will vote them.

• Advertisement

Tyrical green`s rosy glassses. Using a poll that shows support for the greens at 7% while ignoring that 93% want nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

We should have allowed Shell to build that gas terminal.

Just imagine, endless supply of natural gas in Ireland, and also we wouldn't be beholden to the Russians for our gas either.

The wind turbines are great......when there is wind. LOL.

Close up all the peat power stations, we now have wind. LOL.

Crazy stupid Greens will have us on "Saddle up and bicycle peddle your electricity" schemes soon.

Every political party had a huge section on green initiatives in the last election. So go again please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a strange interpretation. if i say i am a green supporter, am i saying i 'want nothing to do' with the socdems, for example?

I which case perhaps you should give more consideration to your childrens as regards their future.

We are on a make believe road of wind energy suppling 70% of their social and economic furure needs. Asking questions as to exactly where this 70% is supposed to come from, and how the national grid can be maintained at the same level of outut to achieve that for their future, might be a good place to start.

It`s a political poll where people are asked which party they would support if there was a general election tomorrow. As such it represents the percentage that support either a party`s policies or has been recently influenced by a party`s performance. At 7% I cannot see any way to dress it up other than it being very minor support for the Green party on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

did you ever think maybe we need to change our way of life where consumption of everything, including power, needs to be drastically reduced? how do you think we can continue to live in our current manner without it eventually leading to serious problems?

No need to go anywhere. The Green party are front and center on green initiatives and they poll just 7%.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We should have allowed Shell to build that gas terminal.

Just imagine, endless supply of natural gas in Ireland, and also we wouldn't be beholden to the Russians for our gas either.

I'm fairly sure that the plan was to clean and export the gas so you wouldn't have seen any benefits there - you'd still be beholden to the Russians!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Big difference between burning large volumes of peat in inefficient power stations and the provision of peat moss as a growing medium in our horticultural industry. We do aspire to grow vegetables and plants in this state, do we not? Rather than ship and fly everything in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Shoog

nuclear has a significantly worse waste issue.

Wind turbines repay their embodied carbon in about two years so they are net savers of carbon for 18 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Thats the price we have to pay to live "greener"

Crippling our ability to grow plants and fruit and veg? Check

Rolling blackouts and sky high electricity prices? Check

Whats next on the green agenda, sterilisation? It would certainly reduce CO2!

Peat moss for agriculture is not the only solution. Potting compost can be generated at composting facilities from waste organic material. There is no need to import peat.

Offshore wind, pumped storage and high voltage interconnects. See it wasn't so difficult was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unfortunately we may not have enough raw materials on the planet to build enough renewable systems, if this is the case, nuclear could very well be the only other option, its believed newer reactors are far safer, and far safer waste, even though still problematic

Nuclear is implicitly risky, high cost for accidents. No complex system is entirely predictable and risk free so you can expect a meltdown event every few decades. If the hadn't stopped chernobyle from melting into the water table it would have rendered most of Europe uninhabitable.

Sited correctly and connected together renewables could provide all of our power given the will to make it happen and generate the geopolitical stability which would allow much of our electricity to come from north Africa. There is also pngoong work to tap the geothermal power of Iceland at comparable levels to multiple nuclear power stations

Ireland can provide most of it's gas needs through a network of biodigesters taking in slurry, grass and miniciple waste, producing high grade fertilizer and solving Ireland's pressing water quality issues.

What is the problem here is small minded people saying it can't be done whilst the brilliant visionary engineers just get on and do it. The task is on a par with the first fossil fuel electrification which didn't happen overnight and doubtless was plagued by naysayer

• Advertisement

I`m a believer in moderation in all things (other than the occassional piss-up perhaps that I believe can be good for the soul), but with plans for energy requirements of 70% coming from nothing much more than wind I cannot see it cutting the mustard when the wind drops.

Advertisement