Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ivermectin discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

While John Campbell does not produce great videos, for most of us he is worth watching to get details of published papers and links for further investigation.

This is particularly useful to those who are not sure what terms to search for, while avoiding 'fake' papers and other crud.

IMO he provides a valuable service to the inquisitive.

He provides links to everything he uses so one can access them and come to an informed opinion ..... which can, at times, be completely different to his.

Covid antiviral pill can halve risk of hospitalisation

It's not Ivermectin but it's something that appears to work.

Will the Ivermectin fan-boys be happy though!?

Existing drug originally developed for flu cuts hospitalisation in 1/2

US drug-maker Merck said its results were so positive that outside monitors had asked to stop the trial early.

Good to hear we have a pill on its way that cuts risks of hospitalisations and deaths by nearly half. This new pill will ironically work in much the same way as ivermectin. Though ivermectin reportedly cuts deaths and hospitalisations by 87%. According to the press release Molnupiravir “inhibits the replication of multiple RNA viruses including SARS-CoV-2, the causative agent of COVID-19.” According to this paper in Nature on the mechanisms of action of ivermectin against SARS-CoV-2 published in June 2021, (which I won’t pretend to totally understand), ivermectin apparently “inhibits and disrupts binding of the SARS-CoV-2 S protein at the ACE-2 receptors.” Please, correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like pretty much the same thing to me. If ivermectin inhibits and disrupts the binding of the covid protein to the ACE-2 receptors, it’s going to make it rather difficult for the virus to make copies of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The article you linked is RETRACTED.

And you fail to provide a source for your 87% claim.

So Id be betting this Merck pill is the real deal unlike Ivermectin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

That's really what is comes down to.

More to the point. Is this not blatant off label promotion?

Which with the fraud that usually has gone with it has historically been the reason for the vast proportion of criminal charges against pharmaceutical companies to date and the many Billions of criminal fines & settlements paid.

Sure what harm could come from cutting clinical trials early?

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

It was the actual US medicines regulator that asked for that so that emergency authorisation could be applied for so that actual lives could be saved.

But the trial was not completed early.

Also note that it's a phase three trial (300 to 3,000 people)

50% Reduction in hospitalisation is huge from a simple tablet.

It's not some Big Pharma conspiracy - simply that this works and Ivermectin hasn't shown evidence of working from credible studies

If Ivermectin had shown similar real results from credible trials I'd be delighted but it doesn't

Among the half of patients taking molnupiravir twice a day, 7.3 per cent were admitted to hospital over the course of 30 days. This compares with 14.1 per cent of the second group of patients who were given a placebo pill.

The drug also appeared to lower the risk of mortality by half, though the numbers are small and experts have cautioned against over-interpreting the data. There were no deaths among the molnupiravir group, while eight of those who received the placebo died from Covid.

Upon seeing the results, the US medicines regulator recommended stopping the phase three trial early to begin the process of applying for emergency authorisation.

“It exceeded what I thought the drug might be able to do in this clinical trial,” Dr Dean Li, vice-president of Merck research, said about the interim findings. “When you see a 50 per cent reduction in hospitalisation or death, that’s a substantial clinical impact.”

Meanwhile the Together study for Ivermectin

. In the Together trial, that drug, commonly used against things like river blindness and intestinal roundworms, didn’t keep anyone with Covid out of the hospital any better than a placebo.

Of 677 people with Covid who got 400 micrograms per kilogram of weight per day for three days, 86 ended up in the ER or hospital; of the 678 people who got a placebo, 95 went.

That’s not a significant difference, and Mills’ team dropped it from the study.

Of course, Vaccination is still the most effective, safest, cheapest, and easiest way to avoid getting sick.

whereas this is the sort of "quality" of the "positive" studies for Ivermectin that is cited a lot - the one from Argentina - very poor indeed - red flags all over - data inconsistencies, data not shared, hospitals listed as being in the trial adamantly state that they weren't involved etc etc

The article being retracted does not take away from my point about mechanisms of action. Ivermectin apparently “inhibits and disrupts binding of the SARS-CoV-2 S protein at the ACE-2 receptors.” As I said above correct me if I am wrong. I am no expert on this.

Link to my claim - https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/06000/review_of_the_emerging_evidence_demonstrating_the.4.aspx

Mercks pill might be the real deal thought at $700 for a course of treatment much more expensive than ivermectin.

One question if ivermectin does not work why then are the doctors who are openly using it not having their licences revoked?, getting fired? or getting arrested for causing harm to people. There are doctors openly using ivermectin in the US in different medical centres and hospitals. I do not understand that a doctor can prescribe a drug that we are told is not working and maybe dangerous and nothing happens.

Not sure how you expect to convince anyone of your claim, when you base it on a retracted article. Come back to us with some real studies.

Ivermectin does not reduce deaths by 87%. Utter nonsense. Again, come back to us with some real studies.

Every properly run large scale trial has found no basis for the use of Ivermectin. A trial with 1500 hospitalised patients in Brazil, stopped because of zero benefit from Ivermectin.

The FDA etc doesn't micro-manage doctors, and check what basis every prescription was issued for. Ivermectin is licensed for human use for a specific purpose and is safe in that dose. There has been court cases re: the use of Ivermectin as a therapy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/07/ivermectin-ohio-judge-reverses-court-order-covid-patient

Wait for the court cases where someone sues after getting complications from unlicensed doses and then we'll see doctors come to their sense. Medical boards don't tend to actively investigate doctors except in response to patient complaints, but this doctor is under investigation by the state medical board in Arkansas:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/26/us/covid-ivermectin-arkansas-doctor/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The other thing to remember is that courts rule on laws not science. From a scientific point of view courts the only impact courts have is on the legally allowed investigative methods and the how easy is it to spread scientific information. A classic example is of Galileo and how he lost a court case for writing a book that said the earth revolved around the sun(and yes I know I am simplifying things a bit). The courts decision didn't change the science. It might have made it harder to teach in certain places and obviously impacted Galileo personally but thats it. The sun didn't start suddenly revolving around the earth after Galileo lost his case. The same for Ivermectin you might find a court case that allows it to be used in Covid treatment but that won't have any impact on effectiveness of Ivermectin in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Your US medicines regulators drug review budget being 75% funded by the Biopharmaceutical Industry sort of leaves me thinking who's interests do they serve. Was becoming a concern in the US before all this started.

Thanks for the links, but will be holding on to my stash of Ivermectin, had a repeat prescription for traveling, can't get it this last year or so.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This gets thrown around all the time by conspiracy theorists. Like all conspiracy theories, it's just true enough that people can hear what they want to confirm their lunatic theory, but it's also complete bollocks if you think about it for more than 30 seconds...

If a regular business is funded by its clients, then it works to fulfil the client's needs otherwise it loses the business. However, for a drug regulator, they don't have to worry about the pharma industry being unhappy with their service. If a biopharma company doesn't like the decision EMA or FDA makes, then it's not like they can take their business elsewhere. They want to sell their meds, they have to go through the regulators.

And what's the alternative? Fund the regulators from taxation? Then you'd be moaning that pharma is making billions and the taxpayer is subsidising it.

Just spend more than 30 seconds thinking about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That doctor is under investigation because of a complaint by a human rights group, he's effectively carrying out a medical experiment on prisoners which is all kinds of wrong and problematic, but not comparable to the typical patient complaint that would be under investigation for the reasons you're inferring.

If his result, nefariously obtained as it is, is really 531 cases with no deaths then it strongly suggests that ivermectin does warrant further more ethical examination.

(I'd also note, that human prescription ivermectin, which was used here, is prescribed to entire prison populations on a regular basis for scabies outbreaks. The actual medicine he prescribed is not in any way experrimental, what was wrong and problematic is the reason he did it)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Luke O'Neill was pretty good on this with PK on Monday.

The trial was stopped as it was considred unethical to keep the control group on the placebo such was the efficacy of the Molnupiravir.

Sounds fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Just read this https://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-tragic-ivermectin-for-covid-frenzy-warning-to-us-experts-2021-9?r=US&IR=T

Can someone explain why Brazil don't seem to be able to make Ivermectin work for them, despite whole towns getting it for free, etc? Here are some quotes from that article (published yesterday, 4th Oct 2021)

Antonio estimated about 70% of her ICU patients said during the country's deadly second wave (in late 2020 and early 2021) that they had taken ivermectin, and "I regret to say most of those patients have died," she said.

and

"People are tired of all the lies and the manipulation and the promotion of miracle cures that they realize don't work," Taschner said. 

and

The Brazilian government has issued new protocols for COVID-19 treatment, which recommend against using ivermectin in hospitalized patients, because they say there isn't good evidence it does anything. 

Continued from the linked article... don't think this "kit Covid" containing Ivermectin in Brazil had been mentioned before:

Many Brazilians used to spend about $30 a head on what they called the "kit COVID." It was a mix of vitamins and other pills that President Jair Bolsonaro touted as early treatments for COVID-19, well before vaccines became widely available to prevent and minimize coronavirus infections.  Among the "kit" drugs were the malaria pill hydroxychloroquine and the antiparasitic tablet ivermectin... But Brazilians quickly discovered — through heart-wrenching personal experience — the limits of treating COVID-19 with ivermectin. Brazil suffered some of its worst death rates yet in late 2020 and early 2021, even in heavily ivermectin-dosed areas, as the more transmissible P1, or Gamma, variant spread quickly across the country.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-tragic-ivermectin-for-covid-frenzy-warning-to-us-experts-2021-9?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Ivermectin debate seems to be drawing to a close. Article here on issues with methodology. BBC also doing a very negative piece on it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a pity from the early promise, but it's descended into anti-vax, grifty fakery.

At least there should be less people infected with worms afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I dont have a horse in the Ivermectin race (hohohoho), Im fully vaccinated. You are right, the big pharma companies gotta go through the regulators to sell their medicines. But you don't think bribery or corruption is a possibility? Its quite easy to see why a tinfoil hat nut would be suspicious of the ALWAYS trustworthy big pharma. Whispers that a preexisting extremely cheap drug assist against covid???? Could it be?? Is it so outside the realms of possibility that the noble big pharma companies would not want this information to surface? Maybe if you spent 30 seconds thinking about this you might gain some insight into why the tinfoil hat brigade are stroking their beards about Ivermectin.

Im not saying Ivermectin does work btw, sounds like the scientific consensus says the opposite.

• Advertisement

Methodology problems are certainly an issue across the entire drug subject. And certainly has been with Ivermectin (including retracted papers).

But there are other issues too. For example a complete lack of understanding of what a study even is saying.

The two most common examples of this I have personally experienced, including on this thread, are:

1) People supporting the use of Ivermectin jumping between studies studying it as a preventative of infection, and as a treatment after infection. They do not seem to know/care about whether a study they are shouting about is supporting one or the other. They just want to point to studies showing any positivity at all for the drug. If someone is defending it's use as a treatment and when asked for their reasoning they cite studies about it's use as a preventative (or vice versa) they likely have zero idea what they are talking about and may just be engaged in confirmation bias because they hope the drug works or their favourite podcaster or impeached orange president has lauded praise on it.

2) The studies I most commonly hear cited - including by Joe Rogan - are the "in vitro" studies. People do not seem to understand what that means. Firstly it means that the effect observed only occurred in a dish. With drugs it is much more common than not, that such effects are not later observed in mammal animal tests (including human mammalian animals). So an in vitro study is basically something that can only tell us "hmm that's interesting, lets look more" and literally nothing else. Secondly the dosages required to observe the effect in a dish are high. And I mean high. Sometimes 1000s or tens or 1000s times higher than anything you'd get in a pill. So why people think popping a pill has even the remotest chance of bearing out the results of an in vitro study is a mystery.

Increasingly looking like the Ivermectin hype train has become permanently derailed for anyone possessing a rational mind.

Campaigners for the drug point to a number of scientific studies and often claim this evidence is being ignored or covered up. But a review by a group of independent scientists has cast serious doubt on that body of research.

The BBC can reveal that more than a third of 26 major trials of the drug for use on Covid have serious errors or signs of potential fraud. None of the rest show convincing evidence of ivermectin's effectiveness.

Dr Kyle Sheldrick, one of the group investigating the studies, said they had not found "a single clinical trial" claiming to show that ivermectin prevented Covid deaths that did not contain "either obvious signs of fabrication or errors so critical they invalidate the study".

Major problems included:

- The same patient data being used multiple times for supposedly different people

- Evidence that selection of patients for test groups was not random

- Numbers unlikely to occur naturally

- Percentages calculated incorrectly

- Local health bodies unaware of the studies

The scientists in the group - Dr Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, Dr James Heathers, Dr Nick Brown and Dr Sheldrick - each have a track record of exposing dodgy science. They've been working together remotely on an informal and voluntary basis during the pandemic.

In some ways it's a pity, it would have been great - but it had all the hallmarks of a 'too good to be true' and really hid its light under a bushel whenever people looked into it properly...

There's really no "big" pharma aspect to Ivermectin, it's off patent and can be produced as a generic, all that needs to be done with it is have a trial, prove efficacy and submit it for approval (these aren't cheap processes, but nothing major), whoever submits for approval gets 6 months exclusivity (depending on the market) on sales of the product for that use. You could raise capital, fund a trial, get approval and make your money and more back if you believed in it enough, what the grifters are doing is ignoring the trial and approval piece and going straight to trying to make money from it then screaming when people cast doubt on it (as all grifters do).

Sodium hypochlorite has 100% effect even at relatively low doses in vitro for basically all virus and bacteria, it's crying out for a "low dosage" homeopathic product to be marketed :)

(Danger: Don’t Drink Miracle Mineral Solution or Similar Products | FDA)

Just wait till you see my in vitro arsenic tests on Covid Viruses - it is universally effective against all known flu viruses too! Therefore everyone will want my pills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

No big pharma with Ivermectin. But there is with the vaccines.

Moderna, the jenner institute and BioNTech were not big pharma, but that should be discussed on the vaccines thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

What do you consider "big pharma" and why is it an issue? Just because a company is small doesn't mean it work practices are going to any better. A bigger company is going to receive far more attention and is potentially far more likely to get caught out. The other thing is if a bigger company is caught out it will receive far more attention. Especially compared to issues with a small company that doesn't make headline news.

Why does the size of a company have anything to do with the effectiveness of its product? In the case of Ivermectin most of people pushing it have been conspiracy theorists. Any time its been given to people like in India or Brazil it hasn't been because it was considered to be effective, more that governments were desperate and were trying anything they could.

What the Ivermectin debate shows is the importance of properly run scientific studies. It also shows how bad science can be used to deceive people by unscrupulous individuals.

• Advertisement

Interesting to read Tess Lawrie's full email exchange with the BBC reporter Jack Goodman, not just the quotes in the article.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/BBC-story-Tesss-interview.pdf

Advertisement