Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, some professionals believe, we actually dont have enough raw materials on the planet to do this, a 100% renewable system simply isnt possible, if this is true, we could be in serious trouble, particularly if we continue our slow abandonment of alternatives such as nuclear. yup nuclear will probably never be truly safe, but if we cannot meet our power needs in the future, serious issues such as widescale starvation could be on the cards, due to the complexities of our food supply chains. baring in mind, these professionals are actually from a scientific and engineering nature, and i suspect they could be right, putting eggs in a single basket, rarely works out in the long run! future geopolitical disruptions, disagreements, conflicts etc, are also more likely in regards our future power needs, greatly increasing our vulnerabilities......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Well should this not of been organized before these container ships started to land.

And alot of others on the way.

Here is a prime example of the green party. Close,ban and tax materials and working structures with no other solutions to take there place . That's for someone else to sort out in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are not allowing for PR.

The single transferrable vote means people can and do support other parties than their first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Could you provide a source for professionals who believe renewables cannot provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nuclear is not implicitly or explicitly risky - the number of deaths worldwide attributed to nuclear power is miniscule even compared to renewables.

We have come a long way from the days of Soviet-era reactors, designed so that uranium can be enriched for weapons use. At first you say that we cant and shouldnt have nuclear, yet in the same breath say that if when our renewable capacity is not enough, we just import nuclear from France. If its good enough to import, why not build instead? Over the lifetime of the reactor it will save money compared to importing, and also guarantee we actually get the power.

If everyone opts to go for wind turbines and solar panels, and import when its not enough, there wont be enough nuclear to import. We will be facing Europe wide intermittent blackouts in the next decade if we dig our heads in the sand like you propose.

• Advertisement

very interesting talk, and i suspect both are right, keen is a strong believer nuclear is also critically needed, not just over materials issues, but for other reasons also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you are living in dreamland or happy to import nuclear energy to make up a shortfall forever using interconnectors it`s not. It`s more simplistic than simple.

We have one pumped storage facility in Ireland Turlough Hill and it has been there since 1974. What stage of construction are all these others we will require at ?

The reason we do not have more is because there is no such thing as perpetual motion. It takes more energy to pump water up a mountain than the energy it will generate. There is also the problem that the energy used to pump water is off peak, the same time you are charging those millions of cars and everything else you are talking about using off peak energy for.

You are now in the dreamland of energy production excessive to our needs, when we are looking due to the present policy of not having enough, when just one plant is out for maintenance.

Post edited by charlie14 on

no worries! i have come across research papers in the past, stating the same, even though they may have come from the same researcher, it is fuel for thought, i also beleive 'both' men are not on their own in regards their opinions on the matter, remembering those eggs!

Workes the same way for every party, but if you are only polling 7% nationally then your chances of winning seats in each constituency are slim. The Green`s are polling 7% because there are a few constituencies where they have enough of the percentage of the vote to win a seat. For the vast majority of constituencies they are not even close. The Healy Rae`s are the same where Kerry are concerned, but I haven`t seen anyone make a claim their policies are representative of the nation as a whole.

• Advertisement

Every single party had a green agenda and part of their manifestos in last election. Saying that because the Greens have a small base means doesn’t mean every other party has a green agenda and are pushing ahead with policies

• Registered Users Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course we should have one small modern nuclear power plant on the island. When we get the 6 back, we'll put it in Carrickfergus or Larne.

all puns aside, i dont think theres a hope in hell we ll ever have a reactor here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

You do not understand what I said about risk, risk has two components - the chance of an accident and the consequence of an accident. You can never reduce the consequence of an accident to an acceptable level with nuclear - it will always cost to much if it happens. Japan has learnt the hard way that an accident costs billions upon billions of lost value and clean up costs and they will be living with their crisis for decades/centuries. Lets repeat that - you can never make nuclear risk free.

The sad fact is that nuclear exists and France have a lot of it. I am a pragmatist so it would be stupid to refuse to use their surplus since it exists - but that is not an argument in favour of proliferation of Nuclear.

We don’t need one

If we hook into France then we just use that power, why build another station if the capacity is already available, the CO2 required alone for the contrete is huge

only problem is, we ve no way of knowing this will be the case in the future, we ve no idea if european relations will remain to be in the future, and the fact, europe as a whole is slowly shutting down its reactors, so...... we re back to that eggs situation again!

Then nothing about the future works and if we get to the stage where we cannot buy surplus from France then we will have massively bigger issues to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

When are the Greens going to be buried once and for all?

I remember a couple weeks back, kids were bunking off school in the name of climate change chanting outside the Dail. Salad Boy Eamon Ryan came out and was speaking to them, telling them they are going to listen to them. Where was Salad Boy when the Mica lads were there or where will he be when the farmers are there on Friday?

Yet Ryan is out there listening to kids whose balls haven't even dropped or paid a euro in income tax!

Nothing Ryan has done has reduced the emissions I create, he's only taken more of my money to be wasted on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The GP doesn't have to win a seat in each constituency to get into a coalition government.

You said earlier -

"Using a poll that shows support for the greens at 7% while ignoring that 93% want nothing to do with them."

Clearly more than the 7% are giving lower preferences to the GP and expressing support for the other parties who are in coalition with them.

Furthermore as others have pointed out policies to address climate change are a feature of almost all manifestoes.

• Advertisement

Not really. I said it pages ago about a super grid, these discussion have been going on since the early 2000s

The problem with the current crop of pretend Greens is that they have broken the first principle of Carbon Taxes and treated it as a source of tax revenue. Carbon taxes are meant to be revenue neutral so that every penny that is taken in is given back in incentives for people to reduce emissions. The FG/FF/Greens have broken trust on this one and it will be very difficult to win it back again.

They did the same with Water charges (ultimately a good thing to charge for water) but they didn't acknowledge that we already paid for our water in motor taxes among other things and give back the cash they were already taking to pay for water.

Neither do independents that are polling twice the Green percentage of first preferences. Are you suggesting if it was a group of independents we should unquestionally follow whatever policies they have ?

The numbers now have the Green`s in the happy position of the tail being able to wag the dog, but that comes with consequences. They will be carrying the can for carbon tax hikes and any blackouts we may have to a greater proportional extent because of their smaller base support than other parties. If that happens then not only will their national poll percentage drop, but preferences from other parties will drop.

They also have the problem that it was not so much tranfers from the two parties they are now in government with that saw them over the line this time around, but from those in opposition. None of those are going to be sitting quietly on the backbenches cheering them on knowing it was their voters that put them at the big table with transfers.

With things easing politically on Covid, the Green`s honeymoon period is coming to an end. Some very rough weather from some tough political opponts heading their way.

Can you not even see the hyprocrisy in your own posts ?

You are on here banging away about us not doing our bit, taking advantage of others, being anti nuclear and showing the rest how it should be done if they only followed our example while at the same time happy to see we can fall back on France for nuclear power when we need it.

Of course you are favouring proliferation if you are creating a market where France are producing more nuclear power than they need for their domestic use. That`s just simple economics. Something the Green`s have very little interest in or a clue about apparently.

It could be worse though. If you were encouraging the French to go as far green as you are encouraging us to, there would be no surplus to plug into.

There is no hypocrisy, I simply believe in using what we have as a foundation. Its you who are the fanatical believer that Alternative Energy is a fraud and that our own nuclear fleet is essential. I am looking for practical solutions to get us to zero carbon in the time frame available to us, and that for one is a reason to dismiss our own nuclear out of hand.

I am a pragmatist where as you are an anti-green fanatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

You have hit the nail on the head. Eamon Ryan and the Greens don't understand normal life outside Dublin. I would much rather see the Mica homeowners get money than spending 365 million a year on cyclelanes. That's nearly 2 billion over lifetime of government. These are the crazy decisions being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The reality is that the Green agenda is nothing more than a way for developed countries to keep developing countries down, imperialism masquerading as charity,

Will you ever get over yourself. I`m far from an anti-green fanatic and when it comes to pragmatism you haven`t the slighest idea.

Pragmatism is dealing with problems or situations that focuses on practical approahes and solutio. Ones that will actually work in practice rather than just looking ideal in theory. You are more an idealist than a pragmatist, but even on that you are an idealist that is promoting your ideal for here while quite happy to take advantage of others not sharing this ideal of yours when it suits. IMO that is nothing more than idealist hypocrisy

And you my friend are stuck in a dying past incapable of seeing the only future possible. I have my doubts we can make it to a viable future - but at least I understand the problem and want us to try. You just want things to stay the same even when thats an impossibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

The largest pumped storage installation humanity has ever constructed would power this country for a grand total of about eight hours.

Advertisement