Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metroid Dread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was AM2R ever finished before it got nuked by Nintendo's legal department? I presume you can only get it now from "certain places".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It was finished when it was originally released. There's been just some patching since then, via AM2RLauncher, that has it at something like v1.5.2 where the original was 1.1.

They're working on a v2 that will be all original art assets, rather than some sprites pulled from Fusion etc.

My favourite addition they've made is the randomizer, where they've got a few options, which randomize only additional item locations, and leaves the core items where they are, or my favourite, AM2Random, which randomises everything... When you get a seed that makes the bombs collectable until late-game, it's a real challenge getting through the game. You could get lucky and get the powerful beam upgrades early, or space jump etc. but it's all random, and challenges the sequence breaking in the game.

That's one of my biggest gripes with Samus Returns, they tried to break most sequence breaking, with the slippery surfaces everywhere, and one-wall wall jumping not possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While I think Samus Returns is good it relied too much on the counter mechanic to do any sort of damage to enemies.

AM2R is far better. It's a really expertly made game and I'd recommend it to all metroid fans.

The game was finished when Nintendo C&D'ed it which to be fair to nintendo was the best thing they could do, it meant the game was out there and they protected their IP and the fact they haven't gone hard on them seems to suggest it a unofficial endorsement of the project.

Have you tried it in AM2Random mode? Best NG+ mode I've ever played, and having to pull off as many sequence breaking tricks to get through the game made it a really rewarding and satisfying (if somewhat frustrating in the start) runs of a game that I've ever played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, only played a normal playthrough.

If a randomiser run appears on GDQ I'll have to check it out.

The AM2Random ones, because they're fully random, often have the bombs off somewhere mid-late game, and that makes it kinda crazy to play through.

Good description of the various random modes from Reddit:

Classic Mode -> Power-ups Only will only randomize Power-ups, not Items but you are guaranteed to get Bombs in the first Area.

Classic Mode -> Starting Paths Randomizes both Power-ups and Items but in separate pools, so you dont end up finding something like Varia Suit in place of where there's usually a Missile Pack. The choice between the Items you're given is what you get in the first Area. Bombs is the easiest, Screw Attack the hardest.

Split Random is like Starting Paths except you dont get to pick what you find in the first Area.

AM2Random is the true Random Mode where anything can be anywhere. It's the most challenging but also by far the most fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reviews should appear today from 2pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

I saw a preview last week or the week before from, I think, Nintendo Life and Alex said that the counter mechanic is far less prominent in this game and not as important as it was in Samus Returns. It's there more as an option rather than a semi-requirement like it was in SR. Hopefully Dread will be more to your taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Famitsu have scored Metroid Dread – 9/8/9/8. Silly Japanese, what do they know? I bet they won't buy the game in large numbers either.

The review embargo lifts in 20 minutes time.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/metroid-dread/critic-reviews

Famitsu reviews mean nothing as they accept advertising revenue for good scores.

• Advertisement

Ya, I don't put much stock in Famitsu reviews. Still, it's the first.

Reviews out. 88 metacritic. Essential from Eurogamer. 9/10 metro game central.

Sounds like a corker.

88 average so far

only criticisms are that the formula feels a bit long-in-the-tooth due to lack of innovation on same and some down points for reliance on melee counters

Yeah sounds great! Thank God.

Looks like 11-15 hours long too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Luckily I'd say unlike all the reviewers, I haven't played too many Metroidvanias so wouldn't be as sick of the formula.

I get most good Metroidvania games for the Switch and I never get tired of the formula. I think the are just saying that for the sake of being edgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Getting GREAT reviews.

Sounds like we have a classic on our hands.

Nintendo and their brilliant Spanish dev team, Mercury Steam, save the day!

Couple of lines from the EuroGamer review:

Perhaps the finest praise I can lay upon Metroid Dread's world is that, in atmosphere and splendour, it's easily the measure of Super Metroid's Zebes or Metroid Prime's Tallon IV - no mean feat, really.

And:

This is a modern Metroid, a 2D adventure delivered with triple-A panache, yet one that retains the grace and poise that's always marked the highlights of this series, and marked it out from its many imitators. How blessed we are to have Samus properly back, and what a marvel it is to be reminded how special Metroid can be. The wait, I'm delighted to say, was somehow worth it.

*sits hitting F5 on the tracking page*

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

"Parcel data received from sender

Head Office"

Hope its here for Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Pre-ordering this tomorrow with the Gamestop trade in deal. Only thing is I've never played a Metroid game before. Better look up some story recaps before starting this. Great to see it review so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day.

07/10/2021 05:35

Swords, IE

Noooooooooooooo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is why I'll walk into Smyth's tomorrow and collect mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

There's a story recap when you start the game, but I don't know how in depth it is. I'd definitely recommend reading up or maybe watching a YouTube video that goes over the story so far. You're in for a treat (hopefully) if this is your first Metroid!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'll be super odd playing a Metroid game, after all these years; both regards the relative absence of "traditional" Metroid games, but also the avalanche of pretenders, copycats, derivations or evolutions.

Apparently, mine has just arrived at home, so how do I take off from work now and skip tomorrow? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It would be a shame if you developed some COVID symptoms and had to stay home to be on the safe side 😁

I made the decision to finish the game I'm currently playing before buying this, but it's getting hard to stick to that. Reviews are looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

Gamestop just called to say it is stuck in customs

I think thats eveytime I have preordered since Brexit the same thing has happend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

that is strange I just came back from gamestop and my oled switch and limited edition game are in stock waiting to be collected tomorrow

Metroid Dread Report Vol. 10: To those departing for ZDR

The last Volume is in captivity. The Galaxy is at peace...

Now, need to convince the kids they don't like Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and trade it in for Metroid Dread.

It's never played, but I guarantee you if I trade it in, there will be war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Got the call from Gamestop there too that this won't be here tomorrow. Maybe Saturday or early next week. If I hadn't availed of the trade deal for 9.99 I'd be miffed

Just got the go ahead to do the SSBU trade. Now, will give them a call tomorrow and see what the story is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gamestop are a disaster. Smyths have them in stores already ready for tomorrow.

Played about an hour and a half of Dread and so far, so good! Taking a bit too get used to the controls,but it's been thoroughly enjoyable, and feels right. Obviously Samus moves at a faster clip than previous games, but it doesn't feel out of place or in any way 'wrong'. Managed to counter an EMMI once so far, but the game does tell you that it's very difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

I bought the digital version but its still unavailable despite being past midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Got an e-mail from gamestop to say "Great news! Your purchase has been sent to the courier for shipping."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm pitched up, outside Smyth's, waiting on the shop to open at 09:00...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has just gone live on Argos' site for €46.99 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Are they in stock anywhere ?

Or they already gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Reserved one for myself in Dun Laoghaire just before I posted that. Looks to be available to reserve in a lot of them. My reservation says collection from Sunday though so might not be actuality in stock yet

• Advertisement

I think you’ll have to wait until the actual branches open this morning before stock will be put up. It shouldn’t be sold out as they don’t do preorders afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

My gamestop order arrived this morning at half nine, not sure why others were delayed

Metroid Dread – Out now! (Nintendo Switch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Blanch Argos has a few in stock.. I reserved in Stephens Green though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got in carlow in the end , not for sunday ! sure look not bad price loved the metroid gba games and super metroid. Never got into prime but I have it on my to play list.

The penny has just dropped for the slow-witted; so this isn't available on the e-Store, is it? 1st Party titles never are, are they? 🤦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It is available digitally on the eShop, but it's €60 compared to €47 for a physical copy in Argos.

Ah, I see that now. Somehow didn't spot the digital option; thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I never got a call. I called in about 30 minutes ago and they said they were delayed in customs, and that it might be here tomorrow or next week. I availed of the offer too, but still very annoyed. I had level 3 card that I was just getting used to I think understanding, but the lad told me it was expired. It hadn't been used since January 2020.

I didn't realise that the clock was ticking on them, especially when everything was shut down for a year and a half.

So next week I go to collect it. That's very poor. Especially if it is a customs delay.

Advertisement