Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long in total does it take to open a bank account with AIB?

• 04-10-2021 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how long it usually takes to open a bank account with AIB? As in, how long does it take from the initial enquiry stage to being able to lodge money in the account?

Is it nescessary to lodge money in the new account when you open same?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Wife went in to a branch and was told the earliest available appointment was 5 weeks. They rang after 3 weeks+ but she had already opened an account in the TSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

Hi.

Thanks for that. I have already an appointment scheduled with AIB to sort this. Does it take long after the appointment to actually open the account and lodge money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Don't know, sorry. She had no need for the appointment in the end. Give them a call and ask what's the process and timeline.

Thanks very much 😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The answer to these questions are always - it depends….

• Do you have all the documentation needed to open the account and is it acceptable to the bank
    • Will the bank be easily able to verify you documentation
    • The amount and source of the money being lodged. Can you easily provide verifiable documentation on the source of the money

It could be as short as within 24 hours or longer than a week…

One thing to expect though is that if the amount is large and you intend to move it shortly after lodging it, will be problematic and require justification and most likely documentation.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I have my latest bank statement which I am using as my proof of address which includes the source of the money in the account.

How do the bank usually verify the documentation?

Lastly, what is the AIB banking app used for?

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Thank you. I set up my current account with AIB during an in- person appointment. Will I now get a code in the post from the bank? (As per screenshot below) What happens when I input the code?

When can I expect to recieve my new debit card and PIN?

Can I set up a separate savings account via the app?

Thank you.

Advertisement