Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Article on about non UK second generation players currently with our squads. Interesting it seems Cristiano Fitzgerald might not actually qualify for Portugal. Born in Singapore to an Irish dad and French mother. Was actually in with us at U15 level too.

“I would say very much that Cristiano feels both Irish and French, but he has never lived physically in Ireland or France.”

So why has he chosen Ireland over his mother’s country, where one of her brothers was an underage star for Ligue 1 side Nantes, before injury ended his professional football dream?

“The dad gene is a bit stronger than the mum gene! It was probably that my influence was heavier on the sports side than his mum’s,” replied Fitzgerald senior.

So Ireland will have to hope that he's good, just not really really good i.e. not good enough for France!

He would undoubtedly start to feel a little more French in that case.

The French system is so stacked though that he would seriously have to be a world talent to get in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haha that sums it up ‘good but not too good’. It reminds me of an article I read one time when Damien Duff was playing Irish schoolboy football. His coach would have to leave him on the bench and bring him on, after a while. Because he was attracting too much notice and he wanted to keep him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Still goes on somewhat today even. It's slightly different but there's a lad who played underage in Limerick that easily could have went across the water. He was a beast of a player at 10 and 11. So much that questions were asked was he even that age because he had come here from Africa and think there was some issues with birth certificates.

Junior team that he was signed with are a big team in Ireland but didn't feel the need to actually make him a better player because it would have attracted LOI teams. Their game plan was give him the ball because he's stronger and faster.

At 17 he wasn't even that good enough to stand out at U17s LOIs because he was no longer bigger, stronger or faster than everyone else and was a one trick pony. All right footed and only tried to beat you with strength. Don't think he even plays football anymore, and his younger brother was even better than him but similar it was give the ball to him he's stronger and faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I appreciate Callum Robinsons honesty but, but it's probably from arrogance of a being a professional footballer in England. I'm disgusted that he is allowed to play for Ireland while refusing a vaccine.

Most people in Ireland can't return to work without being vaccinated. Why are these guys held to a different standard?

The FAI again are a shower of *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Saudi takeover at Newcastle completed, I'd say it's not long before Clark and Hendrick will be looking for new clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Might need to hold onto them to get out of the championship next season

Easily I'd say. Especially Hendrick as he's warming the bench and Clark is pushing on. It's not like the Saudis are going to be short a couple of Bob and will bring in a big named manager to build a team that can challenge for Europe.

Not like someone is going to turn down blood money if they actually get relegated.

• Advertisement

Nothing from the FAI about tonight's match but a very attacking line up for tonight's first qualifier against Andorra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah feck, I didn't realise this was in Turner's Cross, i'd have gone!

Finished 5-0 and by the sounds of it Ferizaj scored the goal of the night with a run from half way and cut inside to score. Rocco Vata was suppose to be outstanding tonight and scores the fifth goal with a shot from outside the box. He still qualifies for the U17s for the next two years.

Edit:

Poland and North Macedonia drew 0-0. A win on Sunday and all they'll need is a draw against Poland to qualify for the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Noteworthy aswell, dont know if its confirmed but there was speculation in the irish examiner that this may have been the first Ireland u17 lineup with no player affiliated to an English club. Shows Brexit is rerouting the paths of young Irish footballers.

17 of the 20 players are home based. Only three based abroad were Rocco Vata (Celtic), Kevin Zefi ( Inter Milan), and Caden McLoughlin (Villarreal). While technically no players affiliated with English clubs, Rocco Vata is UK based.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Great to see Irish clubs being able to hold onto the promising youngsters a bit longer. You'd hope that at least if they go a bit older their clubs will be compensated properly and put money back into future youth development.

It is but the FAI need to step it up when it comes to youth development now because the main destination where lads get their first taste of professional training is cut off until they turn 18.

If nothing changes between then we'll be sending players abroad who are further behind in development than they already are, and if that's the case we might as well have lobbied FIFA to make a special dispensation for Irish youth players still being able to leave at 16 to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Knight and Idah doubts for tomorrow. Both lads would probably start too if available. Could see McGrath keep his place in the team if Knight doesn't make it and be interesting to see if Keane gets thrown in for a debut start if Kenny wants a target man player or goes with Connolly and Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lads when will tickets for the Portugal game be on sale?

Post edited by TheMilkyPirate on

• Advertisement

#1 Justin Ferizaj

#2 Mark O'Mahony, A: Rocco Vata

#3 Kevin Zefi, A: Sam Curtis

#4 Sam Curtis, A: Kevin Zefi

#5 Rocco Vata

Ireland Vs Serbia could be more interesting games if Ferizaj, Zefi, and Vata become senior internationals.

Under 19 team to play Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm surprised that Lyons was dropped for O'Connor if so. Good to see Kerrigan get a start if so.

-----------------------------Maher

O'Connor - McGuinness - O'Brien - Bagan

---------------------Coventry - Kilkenny

------------------Wright - Tierney - Kerrigan

-------------------------------Kayode

Edit:

Lyons must be injured if Ronan Boyce is on the bench. Would have started Colm Whelan ahead of Kayode whose been poor most times if not everytime I've seen him at underage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Classic I was just thinking. Infectious is probably the worst word he could have used there gave me a good old laugh that did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Connor Noss nearly scored within seconds of his introduction but makes a mess of the finish.

Kilkenny the pick of the bunch for me. Other than a sloppy passage at the very end there he was excellent, really confident and assured with the ball at feet and was finding space all the time. Wright was the best of the attackers, lightning fast, he was able to make some great runs and set up the first goal.

Misses another one on one, it was saved and he didn’t make a mess of the finish but it should have been stuck away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Shame Noss couldn't finish. Keeper made a decent save tbf.

Was an alright game. Still not warming to Crawford as the U21 manager though. Yet to be impressed with performances since he's come in.

Sounds like we'll be traveling to Montenegro tomorrow with a home based squad by the sounds of Crawfords post match interview.

Do Montenegro not let in people who are fully vaccinated? Or is it because clubs are having their say that they don’t want their players in quarantine?

Yeah it's all down to quarantine. Anyone from the UK or Germany would have to quarantine when they arrive home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thought Lee O'Connor played well. He had plenty of ball over his side and did well up and down the wing. That said I don't think Lux were up to much.

Poor Tyriek Wright was just being kicked every time he got the ball. Competent enough performance imo. Dominated the game at times and were unlucky to only win by 2

What would happen at senior level? Montenegro have two games away I see in this window but in theory if they were hosting Norway,,,would Harland and Odegaard etc have to serve a quarantine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

At this rate Kenny with put Risteard Cooper out of a job! That is gas altogether!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah they said that last night when talking about Kayode and Kilkenny being allowed travel by their clubs, but apparently anyone that travels before Monday still has to quarantine when they get home is what was reported by Owen Cowzer. Oisin McEntee won't be going he said as his club said no.

Though doesn't make sense because also says both lads will be allowed train and play when they return home but other than that they'll be isolated from their teammates.

Jason Knight out of this evening's game. No Will Keane in the match day 23.

I've got a bad feeling about the game today. Going to Azerbaijan with so many players who are out of form or not playing and needing a win. It's a recipe for disaster. The Azerbaijan manager seems very clued in as well, I can see him getting the tactics right over Kenny and frustrating us.

Prediction 1-1.

Yeah De Biasi did very well with Albania and qualified them automatically for Euro 2016 after taking over in 2011. No surprise that Azerbaijan picked him up to try build them up. They're richer and should probably give him time to build a team like he did with Albania. Was actually in the media during the week talking about Kenny and how time and patience is needed when rebuilding at international level.

• Advertisement

In yesterdays U19s game 9 of the starting 11 were dual national. With 5 of that 9 being second generation and 4 of that five being born outside of the UK. Dan Rose is second generation and Seary I think is only third generation. Bosun Lawal and Tayo Adaramola are Irish born with Nigerian heritage and Oisin Gallagher is from Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Should have said not from the UK. They've been the main source of our dual nationals born abroad.

Fitzgerald born in Singapore, Gilsenan born in Australia, and both McNulty and Finn Benoa born in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good to see some exciting players at both 17 and 19 age groups. It really is noticeable how many dual nationality players and players from different backgrounds we have coming through now, great to see. Was in Tallaght for the 21s game yesterday and have to agree about them not being hugely impressive anytime I've watched them lately. They won comfortably enough but it wasn't a brilliant performance and we struggled in the final third. It was hard to pick out any standout performers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pretty much this. Then role on the same debate of Kenny out or Kenny in. In fairness, he really does need a win, as much as I'd like him given more time a full campaign without one wont entice the fai to hold on. Great to see a win(obviously), just can't see it actually happening

McClean not so baffling as I always thought he'd get the nod ahead of Stevens. Horgan yeah it's baffling as his better games have always been as a impact sub and always thought we'd only go 3-4-3 if Robinson, Idah, and Connolly were the front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not surprised by McClean's inclusion really. Azerbaijan were bricking it every time a ball went into the box and I seem to recall his deliveries were good that game. I expect that's the strategy today. Get the ball in as much as possible. Playing 3 at the back against this lot is depressing all the same. He obviously knows his future is on the line. I would expect us to win if we are aggressive and the set-pieces are good - bit surprised Hourihane isn't involved for the latter aspect.

No excuse for anything other than a win. Azerbaijan are ranked 117th in the world and their top scorer of all time has 14 goals, which is 3 more than McClean has for us. If he can't get a competitive win against this side then I don't know when exactly he can. I reckon 2-0.

How is three at the back depressing. It suits Doherty and McClean a hell of a lot more than four at the back. Allowing them both to get forward better, and both Omobamidele and Egan will be encouraged to push forward rather than sitting back in defence. Pretty sure in one of our games Egan had one of the most key passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

If we don't win today, Kenny can fcuk off. What is the point of waiting for another campaign to sack him or do the honorable thing and resign.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement