Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A luffing crane has gone up at Horgans Quay to facilitate the remaining office development. I don't think I have ever seen a luffing crane in Cork before. I wonder if we will see a second one for the prism? Also the total crane count for the city is now at 14 with a second crane to come at Horgans Quay soon. This is the highest number since the Celtic Tiger which peaked at 20.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Now, if they could do only the same with Patrick's Street! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There is an SHD application pending with a company called Siri Homes for 131 apartments. Because its only a pre application those are the only details showing. Given that the SHD will likely be disbanded in the new year, you'd imagine they'll have to submit a full application in the next few months.

Corks record with SHD applications for apartments is appalling by the way. There has been permission granted for 3,500 apartments across 12 different applications since early 2018 and not a single apartment has been built.

Between this application in Douglas, the one in process for Mahon for 200 apartments and the CMP site with over 700 pending an application there will be around 4,500 apartments granted permission to build from the SHD scheme and there is genuinelly a question if a single one will ever be built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

It seems like a perfect site for such a development like this and one that could easily handle the apartments. In order to get that density it might need to go 4 or 5 floors so I'd expect it to be cut down a little but good to see ambitions.

As you say though, it's great having ambitions but they need to actually happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Morrisons Quay development is commencing. What's the car park referred to here, something round the back of the site or the quayside parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

They have taken some of the quayside spaces temporarily i see a crane has gone up in blackpool too .

Student apartments development starting on North Main Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Irish Examiner

Plans have been lodged for a development of over 100 build-to-rent apartments on a site in Blackpool on the northside of Cork city.

Bellmount Developments Limited is applying for permission for a strategic housing development at Millfield Service Station, Redforge Road, Blackpool, Cork.

The site, which is 0.46 hectares in area, is located to the immediate north of Blackpool Retail Park. The site is situated c. 200m from Blackpool Shopping Centre and approximately 2kms from Cork City Centre. The plans include the demolition of structures on the site, including a single-storey building, pump island canopy, fuel pumps and the removal of underground fuel tanks.

In its place, the developer would be hoping to build 114 build-to-rent apartments in two blocks, ranging in height from four to nine storeys, and the construction of a 313 sq m retail unit, a gym, and a shared workspace. A decision is to be issued on the plans next January, and they can be viewed in full at www.redforgeshd.ie.

I walked down that direction for a closer look this afternoon and with Holy Trinity Church, The School of Comm and this new hotel all along this stretch, both Fr. Matthew and Morrison's Quays should be fully pedestrianised.

As far as I could see they both Quays are mostly accessed for parking.

Those quays are to be redone in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not much change planned in pedestrianisation terms, and still plenty of parking.

A lot less than whats there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Took a walk past the Quay this afternoon, looks like they've started the work at the back & the interior going by the pics above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I see that NDP has some crazy section talking about an Events Centre for Cork city. The old Beamish site apparently.🤣

What an absolutely mad notion that will never, ever happen......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not a whole lot in the NDP for Cork. Same old projects reheated like Cork commuter rail - this must the the 3rd time in a year that the €185m European money for a new platform in Kent, resignalling and dual track to Midleton has been announced. Most disappointing is that there is no acceleration of the timelines in CMATS - no mention of Cork light rail other than it will continue to be funded through to design. There's a vague mention that BusConnects is expected to be largely completed by 2030!

There's nothing new in this NDP so it's disappointing that none of the major projects like CMATS are being accelerated. Climate crisis? What climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

That photo always gets me as they had to bring in a square of grass and soil just to do the "breaking ground" photo op 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Back on the NDP, has anyone seen any plans of what the proposed new town at Monard is meant to be like?

Surely it'll just be another Celtic tiger era massive housing estate with no facilities unless their is some kind of public private partnership to develop a cohesive masterplan?

• Advertisement

First mentioned in CASP in 2001 - 20 years ago. The 2009 Cork County Development Plan had a target of 7,800 people living in Monard by 2020 🤣. Gonna be another 20 years before anything happens there, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I don't understand how these NDP announcements are regarded as news. They go in the same pile as hospital trolleys and waiting lists and housing crises - permanent news. Like the "clowns in Congress did it again" robot in The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah the city keeps objecting to it, as far as I can tell. If it was properly oriented around the train station it would be a great development, but from what I saw of the original plans it wasn't altogether convincing in that regard.

ABP gave a large part of it the go ahead years ago. Not sure it's right to point the finger at the city council as the problem. It's more the government as a whole has done nothing to help progress it. No funding or progress on developing the train station or the NRR to enable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I didn't see the ABP approval actually: I only saw the city objection! I actually agreed with their reasons for objection too. The sprawly Monard suburbia on the N20 "but near the train" wasn't ideal, traffic-wise.

Just reading the ABP approval there, and the original reasons for objection were the M20 not being progressed in any meaningful way, the railway station not being progressed in any meaningful way. They since approved it on the basis that the M20 and railway station would be complete before construction. Not sure what to say about that? Good luck maybe?

Irish Examiner:

A developer is in consultation with An Bord Pleanála over the potential development of 191 apartments in Cork.

Tiznow Property Company has commenced a consultation with the board over the demolition of structures on the site of the former Cork Warehouse Company on Monahan Road, Cork City.

The consultation proposes the construction of 191 apartments and is a standard part of the Strategic Housing Development. Its outcome is not indicative of future planning decisions. The Monahan Road site is close to the potential locations of other major residential developments, including the proposal from Marina Quarter Ltd, which is seeking to develop 1,002 apartments on the former Ford Distribution site, fronting Centre Park Road and Monahan Road. That scheme was approved in April.

That's not the site across from the Marquee entrance is it? Those warehouses were demolished over the summer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It is indeed from what I can tell. Company behind the application looks to be Comer Group related.

• Advertisement

Found a planning application from 2000 which confirms they're former Cork Warehousing Company. Not sure what's left to consult around demolition beyond what they're going to do with the rubble... I wonder will we ever see much happen here.

Edit: Had a walk past today and there are more walls standing than I thought. I could be wrong about when the demolition happened.

Post edited by TheChizler on

Advertisement