Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Definitely after! He wasn't switched on defensively and I felt Keita would have had a bit more bite in him for the last 15-20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought Jones had an alright game overall, he was up against it tho as were the majority of the team but I wouldn't be crediting him with an assist for that goal. I know if you look at stats, it will go down as one but come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Just to be clear - I was not suggesting that Keita should have started in place of Jones. I felt that Keita would have offered more in midfield for the final 15 minutes plus stoppage time to see out the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He needs to stop being Little Goody Two-Shoes on the pitch. Has Jones ever got a yellow, I like a midfielder to get stuck in, rattle some cages, take a player down when you need to. You need to show who's boss in midfield, not go out of your way not to foul someone, as he does so so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

That's surely something he'll learn to do with experience. Taking the yellow at the right time is fine but I'd be worried about a young midfielder on the yellow not doing it again.

Milner usually does it very well and he's old enough to be Jones father.

Fab does it even better and altho he isn't that old, he also looks like he could be his dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm surprised he didn't see some time on the pitch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Keita has actually been in nearly all matchday squads this season. So he's been fit enough to play yet he was dropped first for Elliot and now behind Jones. And considering Elliot was trusted ahead of him for Chelsea and Jones for Man City, our two biggest games so far, I don't think it's experimentation or rotation.

I think Keita's only ahead of Ox at this stage, which makes him 6th choice if everyone was fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

When we went 2-1 up Naby should have came on for Jones

He is far more tactically aware off the ball than Jones & the fact he males interception & tackles & recovers would have been a massive help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kinda like saying a tap in to an empty net shouldn't be credited as a goal. But it is. Jones assisted the goal, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We better sign Salah up on a new contract before Newcastle come in for him.

• Advertisement

Personally I consider Jones pass, just that, a pass. Salah had to do everything to conjure up that goal, same as Jones thunderbolt against Brentford, I wouldn’t consider the 5 yrd sideways pass before it an assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

We know it's technically an assist, everyone does.Just don't see much point using it as a defense to say he didn't have a shite game.

New (extremely wealthy) kid on the block, wonder who their first marquee signing will be.

Jones was just ok v City, nothing more. Henderson and Fabinho were actually worse.

That's fine, but statistically it is an assist. People can consider things whatever they wish but the facts say different, as Rafa might say.

He had far from a shite game. Our only midfielder of the 3 to actually put his foot on the ball, slow it down, take the sting out of situations. The responsibility for the more defensive elements of the game should have fallen more on the other two imo, especially as Curtis offers so much more going forward than those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Fair enough, I agree with the defensive element but I still thought he had a poor game and I think the assist isn't much of an argument. The above is a better one haha.

Probably a young up & coming Brazilian coming from an Eastern European or Portugese club. It will give those players an entry into the big league, which will suit both parties, but Newcastle will have the ability to pay higher wages which will make them more attractive than Porto, Lille or a Leipzig. Newcastle can't & won't just go from relegation strugglers to title challengers overnight. They will need to change the entire culture of the club first, before moving up to Europa League level, and then Champions League level etc. They'll also need to sign a few experienced PL players too, with a somewhat British base.

The first summer of Abu Dhabi spending saw Man City sign Ben Haim, Zabaleta, Kompany, Shawn Wright-Philips, Jo & Robinho. With the exception of Robinho, none were household names. Although 2 did go on to have brilliant careers, they were more in the up & coming bracket than established word class players group. That January window saw them sign Shay Given, Wayne Bridge, Bellamy & Nigel de Jong. They finished 10th.

The next season saw them sign Gareth Barry, Kolo Toure, Roque Santa Cruz, Lescott, Tevez, Adebayor & Adam Johnson. Again, there is a clear trend here of signing players from within the PL, experienced PL players from players around the 4th - 10th place clubs. They were obviously a better quality signing than the year previous. They finished 5th .

It wasn't until the club were in EL football that they could then sign Yaya, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero etc and the more established household names from Europe every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see the Saudi's making a statement signings taking a player from each of the top 4, Pogba, Rudiger, Sterling & Mane and spending a billion on a new team.

They will spend a billion buying and changing the name of the Sports Direct Stadium back to St James Park to totally win the fans over and get around FFP.

• Advertisement

Wonder who the first manager will be, it’ll have to be someone with a reputation if they want to attract big players.

Conte would be my guess, He always wants to spend money and the Saudi's have lots of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It'd be some laugh if they bought out Rafa's contract at Everton to bring him back to Newcastle, which would build up a lot of credit with the supporters there who already idolise Benitez. Money is no object for them so anything is possible, and seeing Rafa ditch Everton just when the club look like they're on the right track would be brilliant. 😂

Realistically, they could do worse than Frank Lampard while they're in transition, Conte is probably out of reach for the time being, I can't see him jumping head first into a relegation battle even with the promise of a 9 figure transfer budget in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I can't see anyone, regardless of how much money they have, reaching for Lampard as the solution to a relegation battle unless the objective is to ensure relegation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Who could they attract to the club in its current state, even with a big January transfer budget? It certainly won't be a big name, not yet at least. If they completed the takeover in June or July they might've gotten someone better but it'll be tough now even if the wages are massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Agreed. Thought he started slow, like the team as a whole, but was up to speed before halftime and had a decent second half, wasn't outstanding or anything, but if he had the #14 jersey instead of Henderson, Hendo would have been whipped off first. He was dreadful for much of the game to be honest.

Wouldn't disagree that Naby could have come on for Jones late on though, a more experienced player and perhaps a safer option when leading, but that's kinda wise after the event, DON'T think Jones did much wrong late on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jones won't do anything too fancy, he'll keep his position, pass the ball and when the space opens he'll push up to join the attack. Just like Gini did, that's what Klopp wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Seeing the story of the UAE ruler using Pegasus to bug his ex-wife's phone, I am glad we didn't get taken over by DIC. Yes it would have saved us a lot of stress, but I don't think I will be able to continue supporting Liverpool if a nations state were to take over the club. I don't want to be reminded every time the owners murder civilians or does something stupid by other clubs or have to stoop so low to defend it. I don't have time for that.

Good luck to Newcastle fans. They have already shown they are happy to jump from the pan into the fire. I don't know, no matter how much money Mohammad Bin Salman has, whether I would like the person who authorised the murder of a outspoken critic and who started a oil price war with Russia to be in charge of my club. There seems to be a complete lack of sense and money does not buy that. I suspect you will see Maaden and Saudi Aramco or Dussur get involved in football. Those major names that will benefit from their multi-million commercial deals.

UEFA can go screw themselves. They allowed PSG and City to get away with sport washing, now you will have the worst of those countries getting involved. Even if UEFA starts being serious about FFP against Newcastle, you know their fans will be shouting about how corrupt UEFA are and how Qatar has bought them. The irony of PSG fans and City fans having used the same argument when they were being pursued will be a little too much for them to process.

That’s the first name that came to my mind, followed by Jose, he loves a big budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Pity Ranieri is off the market. Would Brendan like the challenge, I think he's taken Leicester as far as they can go.

Not sure why Jones shouldn't be held responsible for his mistakes like anyone else,

First goal he caught in no man's land for 2 passes in the build , not close enough to tackle not tactically aware to cut out the pass, Then he let Jesus just waltz past him

Second goal again not close enough to KDB to cut out the pass & secondly didn't track the run,

Yes he got an assist but it was a simply 2 yard pass that anyone on the pitch could have made & did make during the 90 minute just happened on this occasion Salah decided to turn into prime Messi 7 beat 3/4 player and score ,

I thought Jones was poor on the ball on Sunday , he ran into player numerous times & lost possession Or just turn around & played it to the CB , By the way he was the culprit who Klopp was screaming at to be Brave in the first half ,

He was brilliant away to Porto but City he was awful , No harm as he has time on his side,

• Advertisement

Gerrard has been talked about as Newcastle's first manger ,

English & Premier league Icon would be huge draw to the Prem loving Arabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Could see Coutinho being a fairly easy and obvious first signing too. Barca need him off their books, and Newcastle would be happy to pay his big wages, and he'd probably be happy enough to make that sort of move. Have seen Bale mentioned as another that would make a lot of sense.

Ye guys like Coutinho , Bale ,Werner , Donny, Martial , PEA , Isco

Then any English player abroad like Tammy ,Smalling, Tomori guys like that ,

Having Newcastle throwing their weight around may actually help the current top clubs in the division for a short period of time.

It will be another PL club who can afford both the mid-tier and top-tier wages that others cannot afford. Close to home, looking at the likes of Origi or Shaqiri (before he left) or others like a Werner, Lingard, Willian etc. Newcastle will have to buy some PL level players first, before they can really enter the European market. Especially without European football to offer straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

They should go after all of the young English talent that seem to be coming through on a conveyor belt the last few years. Go after the next Bellingham and Sancho, when they're leaving City/Birmingham and offer them first team PL football with one of the best coaches around, best facilities being built and a 3-5 year plan you can sell to young lads. Top these up by going after good pro's who still have something to prove, who's the current 28 year old James Milner that's available that can come in and run your dressing room or an Adam Lallana type who Liverpool didn't want to let go because of how committed he was every day.

No need to go after the mercenaries that you have to try move aside in a few years. They have seen how a few teams have done it before, learn from those mistakes and take what worked. I'd guess they'll be aiming to go straight to where Chelsea are now in the next few years, have 40-50 'first team players' but 20 of them are out on loan with a few to be sold every year to keep the accounts looking good. Chelsea have spent hundreds of millions over the last 2-3 years but they've nearly recouped all of the transfer fees over the same period so their outlay was achievable on the accounts.

It'll take a few years but they do have a few hundred million they can throw at the problem immediately thanks to Ashley turning a profit before FFP will come to have a look that put the breaks on Everton this year. Don't do what they did and throw hundreds of million on proven average players.

Or more likely they'll just start throwing money around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't think they will go for a big name like Zidane or Conte to replace Bruce , they need someone to win a relegation scrap, someone who knows the league and a scrap , maybe someone like Hasanhuttel from Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Are the Saudis gonna be able to spend as much as they like, is there no cap on what a club can spend each year??

**** hell because the Saudi's bought Newcastle #FSGOUT is trending on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It doesn't seem to apply to man City, psg etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Bit left field but Villa Boas could be a reasonable starting point.

New Newcastle DoF buys and supplies players to VB to coach. If he does a good job and gets momentum going in the right direction he earns the right to start next season.

If VB falls flat on his face (bar actual relegation) he gets the bullet at the end of the season and a Conte type comes in to finish the rebuilding project. They won't be able to sell it to Conte as the equivalent of managing al eading CL/PL club but add 50% to his market rate and give him a bullet proof 4 year contract and he'll be all over it, singing from the hymn sheet about a once in a lifetime opportunity to reawaken a sleeping giant and get it back to where it belongs blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

The marginal nature of FSG's business model got ruthlessly exposed by COVID but I'm not really of the mind to complain too much about J. W. "Not linked to the suppression of women's rights and the deaths of any journalists" Henry when I look at some of the other options right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Former German manager could be a shout..j low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think the new Saudi owners are going to be afraid to spend money. With the UAE owning City and the Qatari's owning PSG, I'd say there'll be a bit of d1ck-swinging going on from the outset as the Saudi's will want to show they can compete with their Arab cousins. As someone pointed out, the very top tier players aren't likely to sign, but there's a plenty of high profile players in La Liga that have failed to perform whose clubs will be desperate to get them off their books (Coutinho, Griezmann, Hazard, Dembele, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in 2-3 players of that ilk in January alone. To be honest, I wouldn't be too concerned if Newcastle went down that route to find players. What would worry me more is if they started competing against us in signing top, young players who may be playing for slightly less glamourous clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Have to say lads the Saudis buying Newcastle has me slightly worried for our long term success especially with FSG and their frugle ways at the helm.

That is on top of Klopp and Edwards departing within the next 3 years.

Perhaps it would be best for the club and FSG to sell to that red bird capital group or some company like red bull.

6th anniversary of Klopp as Liverpool manager tomorrow.

Villas Boas must be one of the biggest spoofers who's managed at a high level in the last 10 years. He's literally the last person you'd want working with a director of football or having to deal with high profile stars.

I reckon you were right the second time though. Newcastle are essentially what Man City were in 2008. If the Saudi's throw a ball of money at Conte and promise him similar sort of backing, how could he refuse such an offer? I don't think City will want to mess around with the managerial appointment. They are going to go for the vest best they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's a pity we can't get another 6 years of Klopp.

• Advertisement

Man, that takes me back. Do you remember tracking his plane flight to Liverpool to close the deal? I think we all dared to dream he'd join us, but it wasn't until he was on that plane that it all become real.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2577234-internet-reacts-as-coverage-of-jurgen-klopps-liverpool-flight-is-live-tracked

Advertisement