Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Half marathon with 45lbs on your back in the boggy mountains of Cork/Kerry is some going. Nightmare for someone with a fractured rib.

That 300m might be 300m of altitude rather than 300m of track. Big difference.

Nocher was hugely impressive. Just would not quit.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah she was a proper trouper, she had 20kg on her back, easily a third of her body weight to carry on top. Melanie Noctor did very well too. The fella from Fair City did good too with a cracked rib that cant of been easy for him.

It was 48km from what I saw, 21km out, then 21km back and then they made them hike a further 3k up the last mountain after they got back to the start and thought they were finished. Then back down the 3k to the trucks. No wonder they were all absolutely wrecked at the end. Except for Stringer, he would have went again if they told him to.

Anyone know the hike in Cork/Kerry they used? There was some great scenery on it along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That hike was nuts, they don't do anything remotely like that on the British version. Balls of steel to complete that

Rory looks like he needs some time with a therapist. He seems to have some serious issues with his mental health. Not sure how he was allowed last so long

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Not on Ranger selection I'd imagine. A lot of the stuff on the show looks like it's basic training, especially the admin stuff with some ranger bits thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I thought it took 2hrs to complete one way. And over 2hrs back. Then the last 3k.

6 hrs in total I thought. Would seem plausible for 21k.

But maybe I'm wrong thinking 6hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It was 21k overall I'd say, including the 3k at the end.

The 21k was mentioned by the lad commentating at the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah but I thought it was 21k out, to make them think that was it but then tell them it was 21k back.

If it was only 21k then they should of done that in under 5 hours on the march that Stringer was leading. But they all looked so bolloxed they were walking for at least 10 hours.

Maybe Im wrong, the constant RTE repeats will soon be incoming so we'll soon find out 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Rory's "private pile" Stories. Is he gonna be the new Mental Health guru the country didn't ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

Sure he is at it already going around building sites telling his story 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

With 20Kg on your back? Rule of thumb averages walking pace at 5kmh, possibly slower with a heavy pack. Add 10 minutes for every 100m ascent on the walk and you would only need 300m ascent on each of the out and back walks to make it a 5 hour trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Some of the ascents were fairly steep so the full trip wouldn’t have been much longer than 21km if any. Anyway it’s not about the distance, it’s the climbs, the weight you’re carrying, the ground, even the downhills. It was a very tough challenge. When I climbed Everest it took me way longer than 6hrs so fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

great TV, looks to be proper suffering.

Is Ryan Andrew's rib really broken, at first I thought he's an actor so is just putting it on for TV but has it been x-rayed etc... Unreal last night from him to finish that hike carrying 20kg with a broken rib.

Stringer looked like he would've turned around and done it again. He's the obvious choice at this stage to win it, now that the soldier fella's knee is fcuked.

Murphy should've just sat on a wall and waited for last place to catch up to him then went with them. He might've regained energy and resolve by then. (Easy to think of these things sitting on a couch eating crisps)

would like to see was their actual cut off times or was all that just made up for TV and basically they knew ppl would just drop like flies during it so no real need to show audience where the time cut off was...once person had the resolve to get to the end they were keeping them in.

Love the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

would like to see was their actual cut off times or was all that just made up for TV and basically they knew ppl would just drop like flies during it so no real need to show audience where the time cut off was...once person had the resolve to get to the end they were keeping them in.

They've dropped people in earlier series who were willing to keep going on but weren't going to or didn't finish inside the cutoff time.

Yeah but that's because they needed to start cutting people.

I was listening to Rory cry and I was sure he said "I just wanted to hear the medic say I couldn't go on..because I didn't wanna be a queer like"

So I re-watched it again and he actually says quitter, but sounds like queer. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Rory really annoyed me last night. When they realized that one person didn't get dinner, the rest all jumped up giving bits out of their bowl (ok a bit unhygienic but you get over that) but there was zero budge out of Rory. He definitely seemed to have a very selfish streak to him that was "cloaked" with "mental health" statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

I feel certain people do more harm to mental health awareness. He's one of them. The incessant bawling did my head in. If you're passed physically fit to go on Hell Week you should be able to control your emotions somewhat. No one minds one breakdown in emotion but he was crying non stop.

Then at the table he started advising about how they would be getting cranky due to lack of sleep etc. Imagine what hardy people like Stringer, Nocher etc were thinking. They must have felt like telling him to go f off. Or more appropriately go take a hike!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He must have been passed mentally fit too. I'd be having a word with the support staff. In fairness though, he got through a lot before he cracked and it was only fatigue that got him.

He was crying in the first episode though and throughout. He spoke about his mental health being very poor before he started Rory's stories, and broke down badly. He's fragile I feel.

Whether the show is one for mental health advocacy..I don't know. I just found it irritating in the context of looking at a show for mental and physical thoughness. Like what was he doing there. I suppose it all comes down to promotion for the individual.

• Advertisement

He should have been thrown out long ago.

He failed on 3 events yet was allowed to continue.

Agreed. He was whinging to the medic "I have 3 kids to suppport...I have to go home to my wife and kids and be there for them...I can't go home dead like..my wife was so good to let me go and do this"

So dramatic. He was only gone a few days ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tbh - and this is my view and I may be being harsh - I didn't think Rory came across that well.

Okay, I understand he has had mental health struggles but he actually seemed more self absorbed and kind of wrapped up in his own ego than even the influencer types did. Okay he showed vulnerability, but it was still always fundamentally about him.

I hope we get the regular version back again next year in February/March.

I'm fearful they're going to give the slot to Davy's Toughest Team again, especially since this years wasn't finished.

Davy has RTE sown up. That show was BS compared to Hell Week.

Agreed. And that's why it's hard to have sympathy for him.

We all are extra careful when speaking of people with mental health issues. But there's a thin line between being totally wrapped up in yourself, as you rightly say about Rory.

He was probably hell bent on showing the "MINTL HILT" thing because that's where he's garnering loads of followers from now.

He often has posts about depression or whatever, comments are full of "You made us all laugh during lockdown blah blah blah"

He's probably seeing his comedy videos stagnate now, they were never going to last forever and he's trying to pivot to be a mintl hilt advocate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rory should have never got that far, he didn't listen in the ship boarding exercise and blow his strength instead of listening to the DS and he was terrible in the burning building the only pair to fail that too.

He's clearly got demons and fair f**ks for dealing with them but he shed an unbelievable amount of tears and he was on 2FM this morning rambling on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

That did come across terribly I thought too but you've got to remember they pulled him out of bed to see the medic, he was absolutely wankered at that stage and suffering from sleep deprivation. I doubt he'd of lasted the hike but I think he can feel a bit hard done by that they didn't leave him sleep till the am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

He put in a savage effort this episode in fairness but he did struggle when he was the team leader, although he took one of the early shifts, which is more difficult.

He's obviously comfortable with the physical test but there hasn't really been too many "mind over matter" tests of mental toughness shown so far unless you're afraid of heights. I recall a lot more problem solving and closterphobia type tasks in previous seasons.

Advertisement