Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking in a new chainsaw

Options
  • 06-10-2021 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I recently bought a new stihl chainsaw. There are so many theories on how it's done I'm looking for honest advice. Some say tear straight in with no full throttle out of the cut more say cut light wood for the first few tanks and there's even some who let a whole tank of fuel idle through at the start! Thanks in advance. John. The mods can move this if it should be in chainsaw chat sorry..

Post edited by cat320 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Anyone?? Its a stihl ms 500i. I've upgraded from an ms290.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure what your meant to do but we always toook it handy for the first hour or 2 then work away. on a bit saw cut smaller bits for a while before going full depth

It's a 25 inch light bar. So your saying to cut handy stuff for the first tank then sail on with her? I have a massive beech tree thats down, I was looking forward to sinking her in to it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭divillybit

@cat320 How you liking the 500i? I was thinking about getting one but couldn't justify it for all the cutting I'd do, but got a good clean ms660 lately.

Out of interest, are you going to get a 30+ inch bar for that saw if its a big tree trunk?

• Advertisement

How's the form divillybit? Oh man it's a beauty, the power is just fantastic for its weight etc. 👌. You got a 661? Wow that must be some beast to go? It came as standard with a 25 inch light bar and that seems to be large enough so far from what I've come across. I was thinking about a 28 inch light bar for bigger stuff but I probably wouldn't hardly use once in a blue moon. I think.the 25 is perfect on her anyway. Cheers. John.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭divillybit

It's an ms 660 I have, great saw in big timber. It's a 28", bar I have, but I'd need a longer bar for some of the big trunks. The 660's are fit to run 36 of 38" bars I think. I've a 32" bar too for the saw that I got from the previous owner of the ms660 but he ground down the rakers alot on the chain with a grinder and I think that chain would bite too much so I'm gonna get a new chain this week for it.

I think the 500i does really open up after a few tanks have gone through it according to guys on YouTube like Bucking Billy Ray

Advertisement