Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a landlord ask if you are employed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

No. Despicable behaviour if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 25,938 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The chance that someone who needs to provide fake references will actually pay are probably quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I find it a bit difficult to believe the RTB will hand over any information, even if you supply them with a name or address, it's not within their remit to confirm references and they are probably covering themselves from falling foul of GDPR, data protection at the least.

In my experience they won't hand over any details unless they have some specific dealings with you, and even then it's a reluctant and slow process.

What's needed is a state provided service, operated privately (tendered for) that confirms references and retains deposits, but the chances of anything being fit for purpose are slim, the RTB isn't fot for purpose and merely suits the current agenda. Accountability on all sides needs to be the order of how things are run, chances of that are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Well whether you find it hard to believe or not, I just did it a little over a week ago.

phoned up, gave them the name and address I had for a supposed landlord.

And they were able to tell me not only did they not have the name I gave them but they also had no tenancy registered at that address.

From that I deduced either the reference was a total fabrication.

or the prospective tenant was renting from an illegal landlord.

Either way their reference couldn’t be verified so I moved on.

• Advertisement

So you're saying the RTB gave you, a lad on the phone, private information just cos you asked nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Could someone not just test the claim? Ring up now, give a fake name and address of a local post office, shop, td’s office that you know isn’t rented. One person ring so RTB don’t smell something fishy going on and then report back here what they say.

Edit: if something doesn’t exist then what private info are they giving you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

What is? Do you mean faking references or a landlord asking about employment?

There is no part of the RTB website that will give you the landlords name of a property.

The only thing it will tell you is that there is a registered tenancy at a property, nothing more. No details about the tenants or landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yup. And it's not even reliably accurate. My (owner occupied) house still appears on it but hasn't been rented since maybe 2019. My last rented place isn't on it now although I know it was registered and I know it is currently occupied by a new tenant and there's a very above board letting agent involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I checked a few properies of people i know who were renting but sold up over the last few years.

They are all on it, even thou one sold in 2018 and 3 sold in 2019. I could forgive 202 still being there but not 2019 and 2018.

Again, I am saying that I phoned them up and I gave them the information written on the alleged landlord reference.

and they told me that they had no record of the name I gave them and they had no record of any tenancy registered at the address I gave them.

No they did not “give me” any private information.

I gave them the name and the address on the alleged reference.

And they told me they had neither the name nor any tenancy registration from that address.

From that I deduced the reference was a fabrication and I moved on.

Where have I said they “gave me” any landlords name?

I didn’t!

For the third time.

I said I phoned them up I GAVE THEM the alleged landlords name.

I GAVE THEM the alleged tenancy address.

And they told me they had neither the name registered nor any tenancy registration from that address.

AT NO TIME did they GIVE ME anybody’s name or anybody’s address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I know from practical experience it's not.

Also in terms of the asking for payslips and so on how are landlords going to reject people without setting themselves up for a discrimination case, isn't it more likely the more stuff asked for the more likely your going to get a discrimination case?

Yep, asking for info like payslips, bank statements etc, they may be leaving themselves open to a discrimination case.

From my limited experience ( only have one property I let) but with these ever changing laws, I have employed legal counsel to guide me through what is permissible to request.

I request three pieces of information.

1. How many people in occupation?
    2. Previous landlord references / work references and / or character references. ( It’s up to the prospective tenant to decide which references they want to give and I do my utmost to verify whichever reference they decide to furnish me with)
    3. Proof of ability to pay. This may be a rent book showing a history of payments to a previous landlord or some other means.

Some people have sent me payslips which at no time have I asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

It not hard to believe, I consider what you are saying is not factual at all, RTB in my experience do not give information out over the phone, unless you are the tenant or the landlord and maybe some specific or limited information if you email them if you have some connection, ie again you are the tenant, the landlord and maybe if you have a legitimate 3rd party concern. What you highlighted in particular re the RTB, they dont verify references to randomers. I find it exceptionally unlikely they will confirm or refute any information regarding names and specific addresses, and you can check if a specific property is registered or not online, so maybe they might give that information out as it is already publicly available.

Well in my experience, last week, they confirmed that they had no registration in that name nor from the address I GAVE TO THEM.

And yet again, I REPEAT, for the last time, they did NOT at any time, give me anyone’s private information.

With regard to the information being available on their website. Indeed, I had previously tried to search the address for a listing and couldn’t find one. Hence I picked up the phone and called them.

As for being a “randomer”. I quoted my own RTB landlord registration, along with the address of my rental property to the person I was speaking to. They knew exactly who they were speaking to and had access to see the history of my own tenancy registrations.

Frankly, at this point, it’s of no concern to me what you believe.

I got the information that was important for me at the time to assess the reference I had received as unverifiable.

I subsequently went with a different tenant whose references I could verify.

And they are now living in my property and their tenancy has been registered with the RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

there Is nothing in it for the landlord to rent out their room/property to this someone they don’t trust. What I usually do is either try and get someone who is. Friend of a friend or ask them to tell me about themselves in which cases 90 percent of them tell me where they work up front.

DaCor Whoever you are.

I shared my experience of what happened a week ago.

Clearly you don’t believe me.

And equally as clearly I don’t care what you believe.

My new tenants are now in my property and their tenancy registered.

And that is all that is of importance to me.

For some unknown reason you feel the need to continue to argue.

I shall leave you to continue to argue with yourself I have no interest.

Good luck to you.

I dont see a problem with your claim.

Boards is full of posts from people in the past who have been able to check with the RTB if a property is registered with them.

I would imagine all you do is ring up and pretend you live there and ask it it registered. easy peezy. Not going to try it myself, but im sure those who dont believe you could give it a go themselves and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think banks should be able to ask for proof of employment or income when considering mortgage applications, because it's clearly discriminatory. If it's ok for a bank then it should be the same for a landlord.

Every potential tenats should be aware that they need to send as much info as possible to a landlord when trying to get a rental.

Of course you dont have to if you dont want to, but it goes something like the following.

Landlord advertises property with email for contact.

Applicant responds to email asking about property.

Landlord responds to applicant via email : Please send me some blurb about yourself together with any other information or references you think would help your application.

Potential tenants 1 - 10 : My name is xxxx. Is the property available. - Bin.

Potential tenants 11 - 20 : My name is xxxx. I work in x, here are my references from my job. Here are my references from my previous landlords. Here are my latest payslips.

Top of the pile to call back after checking refs.

Potential tenants 21 - 30 : My name is xxxx. I work in x, Im not giving you references til i get the property. - In the maybe pile if you run out of the other ones.

Landlord then checks the refs of the the top 3 or 4 and puts them in order of preference.

Landlord then phones his preferred tenant after checking refs and offers them the property. If he was too slow and tenant already has a place he moves on to the next.

Landlord never responds to anyone who they do not intend to intend to offer the property to.

This only works in a landlords market like these days. You would nearly have the opposite situation if it was like 10 years ago and it was a tenants market.

Yep, that’s a good description of how it goes.

I’m sure TDs are up there as we speak, knitting up even more restrictive legislation profiting LL’s from asking for any references / proof of ability to pay, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What a welcoming place this has become. Boom, first response to the OP is derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Sorry typo in my previous message. Was meant to read *prohibiting. Didn’t have my reading glasses on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

My prev LL asked for Payslips, Employment letter, Bank Statements. All this on an email. What are my rights? Curious.

Advertisement