Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

Multiple pumped storage systems combined with HVDC interconnects means that its a viable proposal. There is a general rule of thumb which make solar and wind considerably more robust than either alone - if its calm its generally fair and sunny, if its dull then the wind is generally blowing. This is sufficiently true to cover 90% of situations. You always keep gas peaker stations in reserve for those times when it is both dull and calm. Its also a truism that its rarely both dull and calm across the continent of Europe at the same time.

These solutions work - but they work better the more area they cover.

I am also pragmatic even about Nuclear, if there were a way to make nuclear impossible to blow up catastrophically and generate no high level radiactive waste then I would certainly reconsider my objections to it. If they were ever able to get a fast breeder reactor to work reliably then I would be an advocate for building a few in order to eat down the high level waste we have accumulated from 80years of conventional nuclear. China has been working on small compact sodium salt pellet reactors which would be intrinsically safer than all conventional fission reactors (though they still generate high level waste), and if they ever perfect them they may represent a sector for nuclear. The problem with all nuclear so far is its association with Nuclear Arms and the fact that all programs had the secondary purpose of generating weapons grade Plutonium as a byproduct - which pushed them into a dangerous design area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You are looking at an idealist future that according to you where the whole world should follow that ideal. Except not really, because if we end up in a hole of our own making we will need them to drag us out of it.

Perhaps it would be an idea to realise that practically everyone recognises the problem and stop being so condescending. Especially when your ideal falls short on practicality and our energy supply needs.

Some one who cannot see a problem cannot discuss solutions. And there end my discussion with you.

Lets not forget people, that Uranium is a finite resource and the more we come to depend on it the more we see a repeat of the "Peak Oil" scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A lot of predictions there.

No harm in speculating and some of it may come true but it's not now and never was "easy being green".

The fact remains that going by the IT poll we know that at least 85% said they would support parties whose manifesto includes steps to address climate change.

That is FF,FG,SF,LAB and GP. I don't have the time or inclination to check up all the smaller parties and Independents.

No matter who ends up in the next government lifestyle change is coming and some of it won't be pretty.

We can beat the GP about the head and shoulders for sport if we like but that's only a side show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Really? Clean potting compost suitable for horticulture from all the crap that many citizens put in their brown bins??

Manifests are written to be all things to everyone.

Why do you believe FF and FG were so eager to get the Greens to sign up. Because they were in such admiration of the Greens political savvy ? The are the two parties in Ireland that invented political savvy. The Greens are now out front and center on energy supply. Do you actually believe neither FG or FF recognise the danger of this 70% energy from wind power somewhere down the line leaving us with rolling blackouts, or leaving us that we will be indefinitely at the mercy of others for energy. Do you not think perhaps they may have not noticed Germany`s problems with Russian gas.

FF and FG will do what they have always done, what every major party in a coalition government does, they claim credit for successes. For problems the minority party are the mud guard. You don`t have to look to far back to see how that has worked. The Labour party went from at one point thinking the could lead a government to now polling less than the Greens because of a water charges policy that wasn`t even theirs. It was that of FG the major party in that government.

I think it was you that mentioned the Social Democrats. In opposition the were all over health, came up with Slainte Care which everyone signed up to yet when offered the post of Minister for Health in the present government they baulked. In politics, like everything else, it is wise to be careful on what you wish for.

I have identified the problem with 70% of our energy coming from nothing much more than wind energy. Your solutions are either unpractical, unworkable or hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some data on the public attitude to all the proposed climate strategies and completely unsurprising to find they oppose them. The government approach is really not helped by the fact that they only seem to have one - higher carbon taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

The only interesting part would be what is the percentage in young people v old. Boards would be an older crowd I think we can all accept and hence why the bigger resistance. Younger people don't want to be left with a kip so they are more interested.

Really not that easily explained away. You can be in favour of something until you realise just how much it's going to cost you. People do not like higher taxes and they are all voters. It is an issue to persuade the public to go with all of these plans - well the one plan. There's been little to no effort on that front.

It was in the 80 or 90's that these issues got highlighted. We are 30-40 years later and if people still don't understand I am not sure what a tv ad campaign will do.

Simple fact is we need to put together a green plan and if people want to cry about it then tough, this is certainly a case when some people know better than others. What does hurt it is when we are importing turf etc, we need to stop messing like that as it just give ammunition to the nay sayers.

Young people get it, the government should concentrate on them. If someone is 40-50 and has been hearing about global warming for 30-40 years and still can't understand it, let them off. It's a waste of time trying to educate them now.

My parents are old and yet they still get it and are keen to help when possible. So its not like everyone older doesn't understand so dont get me wrong.

Talking down to people to people like this is a surefire way to get their backs up. It's not education, we are moving towards this and it's a whole lot easier if you can persuade people to go with it. So far it all it looks like is a big stick that is getting bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Young people are full of dreams and can be easily persuaded by the next big fad. Older people tend to have heard all this rhetoric before and see it as tax raising exercise while only paying lip service to actual green policies. That's the big difference between the two cohorts IMO.

We've been hearing about a metro system for Dublin for that last 20 years and not a single track has been laid in that time. They want people to move away from cars while at the same time keep increasing fares making them economically inferior, not to mention the practical difficulties in trying to plan a journey using public transport in this country.

This idea that people should just accept any aul guff the government come out with because it has "green" in the title is not how democracy works I'm afraid.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

We have more offshore wind resources than GB and Germany combined

That with battery banks and interconnectors is all that's needed

Build it with near 0% EU investment loans over 100 years and we will be selling green electrons in a decade or so

The Fossil fuel electric generation risk of being stranded has never been higher

Most of the comments here sound like they come from the 80's

#thegreatstranding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

THat you think nuclear incidents all end in chernobyl style meltdowns or fukushima's post-earthquake-tsunami leaking is absurd.

Reactor technology has moved on from those kind of designs a long long time ago. Modern reactors dont even need power to contain the reaction, its akin to air-brakes, when the power goes, the brakes start. Passive containment procedures are the new normal - nuclear meltdowns do not happen with modern reactors. (They barely even happen with older ones either, save for a soviet clusterf*ck)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe this is your first rodeo but I've been listening to confident predictions of environmental catastrophe my whole life pal. None of them materialised. I was a hysterical little eco warrior as a kid because my teachers had been filling my head with their nonsense for years. I saw the worst nuclear catastrophe man has known and it was a bit of a disappointment given how hyped I was.

So yeah, I don't buy into your panic much, and I don't buy into your nonsensical, drawing board solutions at all.

Who said I was in “panic”?

If you can’t see the multiple environmental catastrophe happening every year then those teachers have a lot to answer for

Here is just one example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50951043.amp

Fossil fuels are a disaster, we need to free ourselves from this blackmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"So is this down to climate change?

Many Australians are asking that very question - but the science is complicated."

😂😂😂

I like the graph showing these bushfires were happening all the way back to 1926

Do you have any opinions that do not involve linking to a YouTube video?

Ha .. imagine backing up an opinion with a reference from people who actually know what they are talking about .. in video format.. from a CONSUMER video platform.. oh my!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

The largest battery bank in existence could power the country for half an hour.

How many of them do you propose we build?

When we incorporate the cost of these batteries into the cost of capturing this 'resource', how expensive does it become?

such and old argument, the Australians have more Natural Gas than they know what to do with

"Australia holds 70 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven gas reserves as of 2017, ranking 27th in the world and accounting for about 1% of the world's total natural gas reserves of 6,923 Tcf. Australia has proven reserves equivalent to 43.9 times its annual consumption."

Knowing this they are still building the biggest battery banks on the planet, with more on tow

Natural gas plants risk being stranded .. this is not just a green issue its financially insane

also what do you think the interconnectors are for ?

Nah, some of us consumers don't do YouTube as a way to tell us what to think and tend to view it as little more than evidence people can make videos. You clearly have an agenda, as we all do, so why not lay that out without the help from your YouTube friends?! FYI your examples take up the time taken to read up to 10,000 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The manifesto may be a much abused document but still every party will have a section about climate change. Not necessarily because they are especially enthusiastic regarding the issue but because they know they will have to fulfil our international obligations if they get into power.

You are correct about the "mudguard" effect and the second part of the IPSOS/MRBI poll linked in another post above serves to underline the somewhat muddled approach of the Irish electorate to climate mitigation policy.

Apparently there really is more mileage left in the "mudguard" but eventually one would hope that voters will wake up and realise that they are being misled.

I didn't mention the Soc Dems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

If it's an old argument, how come you can't answer the question?

How much battery capacity must we build, to guarantee our supply with renewable sources only?

This has all the looks of “if only the sheeple would listen to me” post about it. In terms of planning and producing a plan, it needs to go beyond politics and indeed the lifetime of an individual Dail. One of the challenges to the political system of the vote shifting away from the two formerly largest parties is that it creates a lot of volatility. That in turn produces scenarios where people look for someone to blame when things don’t go the way they think they should go. Small parties are always the easy targets in this scenario.  The question is, however, in a scenario where say SF and others turn out to be the core of government will they continue to be their populist selves or do what's right for the country on this?

• Advertisement

1. I did when I said "What do you think the are the interconnectors for?"
    2. Who said we have to backup our entire grid with batteries or that we have to replace all other generation in one go ?
    3. Watch the video, you over provision with renewables, sell the excess and interconnect for backup

you could make the same arguments against electric cars

"oh theres not enough public infrastructure"

"oh they dont go far enough"

"oh they are too expensive"

And yet they are inevitable.

Advertisement