Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SamWFE1

For those doing contract/equity: If a question comes up on a husband and wife and undue influence/third parties, would you answer on both undue influence and impact on third parties? So with the third parties you have Etridge/Roche/Fitzgerald, but earlier cases said there is no automatic presumption of undue influence for husbands and wives so would you then go into Class 2B presumption of undue influence after you have dealt with third parties? Seeing whether there was a relationship of trust between the third parties and the transaction was to manifest disadvantage? I just ask because in ACC Loan Management v Connolly they said that a transaction can't be set aside as against a third party unless there is actual evidence of undue influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 T2020

Yeah same! Hopefully we just get lucky with the other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

If you can focus on the pre-2009 position with mortgagees, that seems to be a popular Q. Post 2009 powers of mortgagees and mortgagors is all in the legislation so I think that's why it isn't asked as much. JM may well come up but a lot of the time it only comes up as a "write a note on 2 of the 3".

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fe1prep2021

Does anyone have sample answers on mortgages? Struggling to understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 38 T2020

Thanks, I'll have a look over both of them to cover myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

No experience here but someone else posted recently here that they only bulleted their 5th Q. in Company in a previous exam and they passed so here's hoping it'll all go well for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

I'd really appreciate if anyone could share the EU March 2021 paper with me and/or examiners report and sample answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 StrugglingLawStudent

PROPERTY

Thoughts on covering:

1. Findings
    2. Succession
    3. AP
    4. Co-ownership
    5. Mortgages
    6. Family Property

Should I be safe enough? Dread easements but a bit spooked after hearing about the March paper

I wouldn't be surprised if Easements came up as its definitely due a run but I think what you have is (hopefully) fine.

The usual essay came up for land reg in March and one of the usual topics in landlord & tenant came up too so hopefully that excludes them from this paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 StrugglingLawStudent

Totally agree. Any thoughts on the influence of equity of the affect of the 2009 Act making an appearance? I guess with land reg being up in March some are expecting one of those to get a run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

hi guys - are there any predictions for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Equity

Can anyone who's sat/passed equity give some sort of insight into how long answers should be? The questions just seem a lot more focused... Compared to the other exams, would we be expected to write less for equity? Quality over quantity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MichelleLaw

EU Law

Hi guys, could someone share an up-to-date EU law grid?

I sat it in November and passed some of my answered were two and a half typed and some were 4 typed depending on if I answered note questions

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

Does anyone have any Property sample answers? Have all other subject's sample answers except property. Would be greatly appreciated.

I think quality over quantity is the approach for all the exams. They don't seem to appreciate waffle. A lot of reports always comment negatively on how students write all they know when it's not what the questioned asked.

So I'd say as long as you feel like you've adequately answered the question, length is irrelevant.

Post edited by fe1ki5 on

I wouldn't be surprised to see an equity question thrown in. I'd think a general essay on how it's presence in property law or as a mini essay of the Uses/equity's darling or something of the likes

If discussing husband & wife. I would quickly deal with the issue of class 2b etc then move on to Etridge and then the Irish position in Roche etc.

A husband and wife Q will usually involve the bank and you may well be advising the bank as to whether they had done enough... Therefore husband and wife aspect is almost irrelevant save for identifying its not automatically presumed etc. It'll be more a matter of establishing whether the bank had done enough to ensure her consent was free & independent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

Land law sample answers? DM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Looking at the Grids, UI is definitely due a break on both Contract & Equity. Came up as a problem in both March 21 papers, and has been on last 3 Equity, PQ/PQ/ESSAY. I know it's a very popular topic but I have it lower down in my revision. Might see it as an essay in Equity and that will have a focus on the banks and what steps they need to take post Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

CONTRACT

Can someone please share what they're covering topic wise and any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

Best of luck to everyone sitting Property also! First week down 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I think something like tracing or quistclose trusts will pop up! Don’t know why, just have a feeling. I agree with you too though!

Yeah but both were PQ's in March 21 weren't they? you could be right though, the examiner could just as easily throw them on again as they regularly appear! I wonder do the examiners sit with a grid and say "oh x is due a run" haha

Am I right in saying Equity changed the internal examiner a few sittings back? I think its is very hard to predict looking at the past papers, sometimes you get a nice carbon copy problem or essay from previous years but then just as easily get a new style question - especially with the Charitable Trusts problems.

Both were in March paper and not popular by way of looking at the grid. So I'm actually not sure. Tracing is nearly always a PQ so I'd be surprised to see the same style question back to back, unless it's a general essay. Likewise with quistclose. But in terms of exam papers, it does tend to be harder to predict as the topic choice is so wide and varied.

I think Charitable PQ

Trustee PQ or essay

PQ on quia timet or mandatory injunctions

Constructive trusts (haven't covered)

Perhaps question on presumed resulting trusts too.

PQ on SP and Rectification

Again guesses/wishes 🤣

I think they are spot-on in terms of predictions! I'd also add in:

• DMC problem
    • Strong v Bird & Hating bass for Note
    • Estoppel PQ

If the examiner goes with 3/4 questions from Equity side of the syllabus and 3/4 from Trusts, should be well covered with that lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jbholmes

Also sitting Equity on Wednesday. It looks like it's becoming more difficult to leave out entire topics and with almost 20 topics it leaves a large amount of material to cover. Anybody got the latest Equity grid, mine is 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

EU

Does anyone have a sample answer for Question 6 March 2019 or Question 8 August 2020? Basically the ones on human rights/how human rights have developed through Charter, ECHR etc?

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ais20

Does anyone have any Eu sample answers that they wouldn’t mind sending on?, it would be much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

I did it in November and it was a different internal examiner with no question on injunctions

im not sure if he has continued being the examiner

Advertisement