Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

OK I guess the PCRs are ~ €100 ?

If I didn't take it would I not get into trouble when leaving the UK a few days later ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Day 2 PCR Cost cost can vary substantially. If you follow the links on the UK gov website, many of the advertised prices are not available in reality.

We ordered Randox in the end, delivered to Dublin for around £40-£50 a test. They're still sitting on the window sill here unopened.

The pcr's are £69

There are no checks leaving the UK regarding what you did with the test

There is a possibility you will get a call from the police to the number you give on your UK plf

Theres talk that just an antigen will be required at months end

Everyone entering including citizens and residents,not just tourists who aren't transiting needs to book one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Just back from a few days in Bordeaux. I wasn't asked once to show Covid Cert in either airport. in Bordeaux Airport I was asked if I had my PLF. I didn't know I had to fill this out, but the Ryanair lady said "I just have to ask if you have one!" and that was it.

And unless you're transitting solely airside, you'll need one also.

• Advertisement

Randox day 2 self administered tests in the UK are £45. No need to pay any more than that. I’ve used them consistently, they arrive reliably, and are the cheapest I have found. There is also a discount code available on the British airways website (you don’t have to fly)

So how does it work if you are going for a few days to the UK and staying in a hotel ?

you get them sent to the hotel, you do the test and what ? upload the result somewhere ?

I mean ... not exactly bulletproof is it ?

You do the test and put the swab in the mail in the supplied envelope.

its not bulletproof. Not even close. The equivalent of wearing a string vest in a warzone. You don’t even have to do them. Our ones from when we last arrived in the UK a few days ago are still sitting on the table

its a farce…..nothing more than a money making racket. The rates of actual returns of the tests are very poor. It’s just about getting the paperwork to get on the plane and through border control. No basis in science whatsoever

The day 2 test has to be a pcr

a Google search brings up drive through ones for as little as £20

you'dwant to check if that's an accredited tester

you can take it immediately on embarking

It doesn't have to be on day2

Its a pcr test.. you need to post the sample

You don't analyse that one yourself 🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Yes, it’s a self administered PCR. With the results sent to the lab in a special packet and results 2 days later.

google Randox day 2 arrival tests

The cheaper ones are generally appointments or drive throughs at odd times and in weird locations. Or scams

ive had to do this a lot and that was the cheapest ‘real’ option as far as I could tell

exactly a box ticking exercise, the whole thing is at this stage ...

Well as I said,the policing of it is pretty poor

You'd get away with a 20 quid one and never use it being a holiday maker

I couldn't tell you if you are one of the unlucky ones chased for follow up,what happens if you've left the country but try to return

There still are fines,large ones

So you are better off sending off the bit of snot in the prepaid envelope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks from Dublin. I had no idea a test was still required. Balls

The most important thing about the day 2 test is that Owen Paterson, the Conservative MP, continues to get his £100,000 or whatever the going rate is these days for his 4 hours consultancy per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just a quick note on my spain 1 week holiday in Murcia. (returned on Tuesday gone) . Smooth sailing.

Spain was very chilled. Full bar service, live music , zero social distancing as most was outside entertainment, masks in shops and at reception desk of hotel otherwise nah , as you wish.

There was certainly a lot of locals and limited amount of tourists that were wearing masks outside and even on the beach at 32 degrees heat but they thankfully stuck out like sore thumbs.

In general a very pleasant trip. Airport to and from was exceptionally well handled and there was a real air of covid is history and let’s get on with living life again from all sectors of Spanish tourism (additionally Dublin airport was a pleasure on both sides)

It’s not! There have never been any requirements for tests, forms or anything else for Ireland to UK travel, even in the peak of the pandemic last year

and now if vaccinated there is no test for the way back either

while I’m here, a note from my few days in Copenhagen last week

very strict on border entry re vaccination cert. but other than that it is as if Covid never happened. Not a mask in sight anywhere, inside or out. In fact, we had ours on when transiting from the airport to the city and the ticket inspector came up to us to remind us that we don’t have to wear them. If you were to wear one in any situation you would feel like you really stood out

No entry or number restrictions inside in bars, clubs, restaurants, shops etc, No vaccination passports. All Covid signage removed from everywhere. Is genuinely back to 2019 and everywhere is buzzing.

worth a visit if you want to get somewhere where all reference to Covid has disappeared

coming back to Ireland and finding my two local coffee shops still not allowing inside seating and vaccination passports and limited numbers inside everywhere else was a real shock. So came back to London for the rest of the month for some normality

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Does anyone know what security queues like at the minute, have an early flight next week and Fast Track doesn't open in time for it. Just trying to plan arrival, thanks.

It's bizarre that some places are introducing covid passports now ,whilst Scandanavia have removed them and Ireland will be removing theirs soon.... talk about the introducing them in Spain too soon ...

Spain has plummetting case numbers ...

bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Quags

I would imagine you would be ok. I was there a couple of weeks ago for a 7am flight and got through in 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Bordeaux is a stunning little city, though you have my sympathies if you had to use the cowshed terminal there which is by far the worst airport terminal I’ve experienced.

Anyway glad to hear the experience was smooth there. How was the nightlife? Were bars and restaurants operating with normal closing times and no social distancing? I’m thinking of going to Lyon next month.

Not required if going to Scotland from Ireland

Only if you are coming from outside the common travel area

Seeing as we are adding experiences

My own recently, Dub Frankfurt mykonos on lufthansa

All docs checked at Dub before boarding passes issued

Did online check-in but required to get bp's at a desk

Passport control at franfurt entering schengen area wanted to see my EU DCC and checked dates

Arrival at Mykonos, EU DCC and Greek plf checked

Island very busy

Long queues to get into night clubs as vaccination certs were checked

Very strict on that

No masks or social distancing once inside except by servers

Street bar strips/beach clubs hopping,no visible sign of covid era only that servers wearing masks

In 34c most people were outside

Ditto in the evening

Return to Ireland,again all docs checked in Greece and again in Munich

Noone got on board the Dublin flight at munich without having their Irish plf ,or EU DCC/pcr result checked, despite mine having been checked in Greece

Transfer bus at Munich rammed but everyone wearing ffp2/N95 masks as is the law there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Just to add, you can avoid having to go to the check-in desk to get your boarding pass in most cases with Lufthansa. They have a digital document check which you can do between 72 and 12 hours before your flight. I did it and my documents were approved instantly.

https://www.lufthansa.com/ie/en/form-digital-document-check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I flew at 3pm on Tuesday last week. I was 3 minutes through security and cleared to departure area. Seamless

True

I didn't bother with that as I'd a bag to check in anyway

On the return Everyone was having a physical doc check at the Dub gate in munich, so it's not a given

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Trip to Canada a couple weeks ago. Have to download the ArriveCan App, and enter data of vaccinations etc. No more than 72 hours before scheduled departure of flight to Canada, take a PCR test. Finish CanAm app. Bring copies of test result to show airline or no check-in will happen. Arrive Canada, you may be nabbed for a random arrival check.

On the way back to the US, Toronto airport has a (more-or-less) onsite rapid anti-gen test. Half an hour later, take the result to check-in. US immigration seems to be taking the airline's word that they checked, and did not check themselves.

I'm expecting to go back to Canada in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I was checking in three people for upcoming Ryanair flights & uploading the DCC’s , for some reason the site wouldn’t allow me to upload the cert for one of the travellers for the return flight, no problems with the outbound flight or other travellers, assume having the paper cert is fine?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bobinsky79

Hi All. Hope someone will know the answer to this.

I am planning to book holidays from Belfast to Tenerife. Will I need a PCR test coming back from Canaries via Belfast. I am not going to stay in Belfast just park the car in the airport and on the way back straight after landing down to Dublin.

I rang holiday providers in UK and got two different opinions.

Will appreciate if someone could help.

Advertisement