Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

I'd imagine they are being rested for Munster game next week! Strong Connacht side named that should have more than enough for dragons team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Possibly, I wouldn’t have thought there would be much need for resting at the moment as after the Ulster game there is a month break but could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

City link will be providing a bus direct from the Sportsground to the Aviva, tickets will be €20 and there will be a draw for a signed Connacht jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Tbh with papalii I’m sure the minutes he plays will be watched very closely. There were times in the first half last week that he looked gassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It was great to be feel thousands of spectators silently wince when he went in for tackles too. He was good though tbf but not sure he'll ever have the tank for more than 50 minutes max. His carrying will be needed badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not sure why ye would prefer papal over Boyle? Boyle a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Partially its because he needs as many minutes as he can get, hes been constrained by his own poor tackling but I think with consistent outings at URC level we could have a serious dual threat at 8 between him and Boyle for bigger games like interpros or Europe this winter. Hes an option unlike anyone else in our squad and with consistent coaching and conditioning work he could end up being a key player that takes us into the Champions cup consistently which with the current set up of the URC is a narrow path for us to walk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

A late train will also be added leaving Heuston at 20:20 and serving Athlone, Ballinasloe, Woodlawn, Athenry and Oranmore as well as Galway

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/travelling-to-the-aviva-all-you-need-to-know/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Marmion out I assume injury forced

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Carty misses a sitter of a pen straight in front. Perfect conditions really so can’t blame the weather. Just hooked it left.

Gets a second chance from almost the same position now.

• Advertisement

Could see that chip over the top from Williams coming a mile away. There was acres of space in behind the Connacht defensive line.

This would be a really bad result given the tough run of games to come. Perfect conditions but Connacht just haven't done much today. Opted to kick pens in the first half when they maybe could have kicked a couple into the corner and gone for it. Haven't really managed to get in behind the Dragons defence.

Those 5 missed points by Jack from straightforward enough place kicks would have come in handy around now.

Every time Connacht get back into it they immediately do something braindead to gift the Dragons a handy 3 points.

Very bad result with a fairly daunting set of fixtures to come. Dragons have improved but that's their first win in Galway in 17 years I think.

Connacht didn't put enough scores on the board in the first half when we were on top. Seemed content to kick pens. Thought they could have gone for it more given it was almost perfect conditions. Actually thought they played a bit conservatively today until they fell behind. Couldn't really get in behind the Dragons defence consistently. Very few line breaks after the opening 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

**** performance. Losing gimmes like home to the dragons make it almost impossible to have a decent season...

Upcoming fixtures. Potential is there for things to look quite bad by Christmas. A lot of our "easier" fixtures on paper don't come until the second half of the season.

Munster A

Ulster H

Ospreys H

Leinster A

Ulster A

Munster H

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

New competition, same s**** from Connacht. As usual zero questions will be asked of Friend. I saw one pre season preview that said we were "Lucky to have him"?

His tenure hasn't been awful, hasn't been good. One absolutely glaring thing is out management of the game when the opposition goes down to 14. Seen twice already this season and countless times over the last 4 years. I honestly think we need a coach who will try to instill some basics and stop obsessing over having a nice style of play, which we don't even have anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm not a fan of Friend! I don't think he brings anything. I would have like Carolan to have been givin the reins. He (Friend) is like VanGrann. Very uninspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Dragons were a good bit better than us and deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Dragons were class tonight but we're a soft touch under Friend overall (bar some fantastic shocks).

The branch moving the Ulster match is even sillier in hindsight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

It was a very decent Connacht team. But players are all over the shop. There is nothing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RuggerHead13

I thought Oliver made such a difference when he came on. Aways brings energy and a dog that is contagious. Butler has been off the boil for a while now. Connacht best backrow is Prendegast, Boyle and Oliver.

Only caught up with it today.

Cartys poor decision from the penalty seems to have been missed.

He tried to rush the kick and bounce it into touch, didnt get it out and Dragons scored from that play and then took the lead.

Also the penalty miss was so bad, some people had just clapped it assuming it was scored being so close.

That's 8 points there alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

To be fair to Connacht, Dragons were some way above their 2 previous league performances. No one really saw this coming. Wales Online has glowing report on Taine Basham. I thought all their big name players stood out.

IMHO Connacht's problem is inconsistency. Poor against 2 Welsh sides and excellent against the Bulls. Part of the problem with Saturday's defeat was fact that it was at home where 8 days earlier they had looked dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'm very worried as to where we are at and have been for some time. Its hard to even know where to start. The lack of resources is an issue but that's always going to be the case. You get on with what you have and to me we aren't building anything of substance.

Throughout Friends tenure I'd have nothing bad to say about him as a person (other than the fact he's too open to interviews with the media) but the fact he seems such a likeable guy in itself is maybe half the problem.

I don't see anyone really driving standards at Connacht in any meaningful way. When things start going wrong in games they go catastrophically wrong all too regularly. The volume and nature of the scores conceded against lots of average sides over the past season or so is alarming.

Full credit to dragons for Saturday but I'd be pretty certain they won't score anything close to 35 points away from home again in the league.

Looking at Friends job record it's all short stints. I remember when he first came the vibes from him was that he was pitching up here for a couple of years and he'd be off again. Everything with Connacht just feels cosy and unchallenged at the moment.

The loss of Nigel Carolan in particular is very clear. The back room has changed a bit but to me it's a weaker setup now when we needed experienced coaches coming in.

Kieran Keane was clearly a man who the players didn't respond to but with Friend I think we're too far the other way. As a short term stop gap to bring some positive vibes he might have been ok but long term I think we are just drifting and losing our way.

Whatever about our away record, even in our worst days a team that won at the sportsground generally knew they'd had to fight hard for anything they earned. As a team to me we no longer place any real value in doing the dirty work.

Dragons are definitely an improved side but they're still going to be in the bottom half at the end of the season and they won quite comfortably on Saturday.

I might be alone in this but I get no joy out of losing a match 30-40 for example. It might be entertaining to some but a dour workmanlike 12-10 win suits me perfectly.

In years gone by we'd be under the cosh defensively at home and I'd usually expect us to find a way of turning over the ball. There was an air of inevitability about all Dragons tries the last night.

The first try we got out of jail moments beforehand and everything from the moment the penalty was awarded to the try was scored summed up Connacht perfectly.

The one off wins here and there have seriously papered over the cracks. We might come up with a great performance out of nowhere in the weeks ahead but in reality with the way the league is skewed our league season is as good as over already.

The sad thing is while I'll always support this team I feel no connection to it at the moment.

Some people are giving the mistaken idea that Andy Friend is carrying on what Pat Lam started. I couldn't disagree more. This current team have no respect for the ball and no coherent game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

its back to the old inconsistent days for Connacht.

things will nevefr change till top tier irish prospects are actually redirected to the province.Friend is a poor coach with no real track record. just flitting in and out of jobs with lacklustre results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

A lot went wrong that shouldn't have. A lot of basic skills failures in the first half that would have meant we were a lot further ahead heading in to the second half and it's probably a totally different game.

Despite having a lot of excellent players and prospects in the back row they never seem to click cohesively as a unit. I'd be tempted to give 6. Boyle 7. Oliver 8. Papali'i a go with Prendergast to come off the bench at 50. Butler seems a bit off the boil at the minute. It does mean that you risk one of your second rows having to put in a big shift there's an injury, and one of them having to cover the back row but there are plenty of options there capable of doing that.

We desperately need Aki back in the team for his jackal threat if nothing else. Boyle seemed to be contesting a fair bit(though not getting much change from the ref) but at least he was slowing the ball down.

Carty needs to be dropped at the moment. Too many mistakes.

Style of play needs to be looked at as well. We were so one dimensional on Saturday. Rarely spread the ball. One pass, and run into a tackle. Then get turned over/knock-on/give away a penalty. It was tough and frustrating to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Consistently inconsistent. I think we have enough quality in the team to be a tough outfit to beat but the performances game to game can just swing so wildly. I said it last season that either the game plan is not being translated from the coaching staff well enough or there is something else not right internally. Yes with the new coaches there will be a bit of bed in time but results will have to pick up regardless if they are against Leinster or Ulster or whoever.

I don't like to single out players but Butler is not cutting it the last few seasons. He was fantastic for the first 2 seasons after arriving. I realistically thought he would even get capped for ireland if he kept going the way he was. He is good when dealing with referees but I do doubt his leadership skills. Oliver is a good 7 for urc level but not in Europe. I gladly take back Colby Faingaa and let Butler move on.

Enough of the rant anyway, and let's hope we get things together and start to move in the right direction.

Advertisement