Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Yes, the serviced pitches are always much nicer with bigger areas, private garden and hedgeline etc. Plus if feels more like a holiday than carrying water and waste back and forth. The french campsites are amazing for touring fans. Ireland doesnt compare in terms of facilities, space and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Any recommendations for a campsite for 2 adults and a 3 and half year old for next summer? end of june or early july?

We will probably get the ferry, waiting for Irish Ferries to release their schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Plenty of other options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

There's a few sites in Brittany on the Benodet side of the coast that are quietish and probably more suited for toddlers. Look on Eurocamp/KelAir/ Canvas etc for some ideas. They've plenty of choice between them.

I also booked Dol just three weeks ago for your dates next year as I'm bringing the grandkids who are 8 and 12 with us and they're probably just the right age for that location.

We booked our ferry with BF with a flexi ticket and it actually works out approx €220 cheaper than Stena Line when I punched the numbers in just now into their site.

Thanks for the suggestions

BF ferries are quite dear next summer compared to 2021. Plus their frequency isn't that great

• Advertisement

Yes. We have looked into flying, as its something we've done before. We'd probably go further south around Bordeaux

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I was thinking more about the other ferry options. Brittany Ferries and Stena also operate to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Anyone else feel that this thread isn't as interactive since things changed?? Sorry to go off topic, just wondered..🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Peckham

Time of year perhaps? Everyone back from their holidays and many not yet planning their 2022 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

I completely agree. Changes have led to a negative user experience.

Old man shouts at sky......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yeah, back in 2018 boards was the 24th most visited website in Ireland, I think just before the platform change it was #50. No longer in the top 50.

https://www.similarweb.com/top-websites/ireland/

(Sound of toilet flushing)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crumtrin

Irish Ferries still have not released their schedules for France next year, fairly poor form I have to say. I know others have said sometimes they wait till November. I just do not understand why they leave it so late, the demand is obviously there.

You have answered your own question. The demand is there.

This time they have the added freight on route. When I went in the summer it was packed out with lorries and trailers.

Frustrating but worth the wait. Hopefully we see something at the end of the month!

Supposedly Irish Ferries timetable available at the end of the week.

Irish ferries bookings are open. Prices gone up by about €500 compared to last yr 😡 not surprised with those gougers... Only for I have credit to use I'd have booked weeks ago with BF or Stena.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're spot-on . €500 approx dearer on my exact dates with flexi and I'm going with BF. In fact, even before I booked a cabin it was dearer in total than my complete package.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Eye-watering prices to France 2022 with Irish Ferries all right. Bet you they'll still sell out very quickly though... there's a lot of credit to be used.

I might price hiring my own Yacht with its own crew and chef on board and then use the additional savings to buy a car when we dock as an alternative to the Irish Ferries July 2022 prices.

My god these prices are unbelievable !! But not surprising I suppose, it seems to be cheaper to go from a Thursday to Wednesday as opposed to the Saturday to Friday option. I am glad that the schedule is out and I have booked, but what an increase in price. I should have booked with Brittany Ferries earlier in the year I would have a saved a few hundred €€€€. I hope the WB Yeats is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I’ve just booked for 2nd April to 31st May with Brittany ferries car, caravan and one passenger with inside 2 berth cabin both ways €590

with Irish ferries it was quoted as €818!! That’s certainly some gouging….

• Advertisement

The WB is a lovely ship. The quality of ship is one of the reasons I have never gone with Stena or Brittany. 2 years of credit out there to be used up so they will sell out nxt year. But I'd expect a small step back in '23 cause people will go down the fly and drive route and credit will be used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd booked to go in September of last year for very little, might have been €350 or so all in for car and two adults (didn't happen in the end). I'd been planning to do the same trip in late May/early June next year and they want €800 all in. No thanks, back to flying and renting a car it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I think that if you looked at Brittany Ferries Pont Aven then you would find that it is at least as good as the WB Yates (personally I think that it is better) particularly if you do intend traveling with a caravan, I stopped using Irish Ferries after the twice that I used the WB Yates, as on all 4 crossings when leaving the ferry the electrical connection between the car and caravan grounded resulting in the car’s electrical connection point being bent up into the rear bumper bar (I never had that with either Pont Aven or Oscar Wilde). I know that it can be a bit of a bind traveling down to Cork but I have the time to do that and I stay for a couple of nights in the caravan down there which I actually enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tooler

Unbelievable alright. Dublin to Cherbourg in July for 2 adults and 2 kids with car is coming in at €1,632. WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Just did a quick check on all three operators there for the easter holidays in April 2022. Large car, caravan, 2 adults and 3 kids coming in around €1100 to €1200 with all three. Only difference is the dates they go out / come back and the cabin - you can get a 6 berth on Stena. Last time we went at easter this same combination was about €750, and the time before that it was just short of €600.

Also checked Stena using the Axa discount - and it increased the price by about €150!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Peckham

Out on 6 August, back on 21 August. €1600 for 5 of us, including 2 cabins. About €100 more than we paid this year for the same weekends.

Still €400 more than Brittany Ferries though.

If we go it will be out with Brittany Ferries (to benefit from the 7am arrival into Roscoff), and back with Irish Ferries (prefer coming back into Dublin).

Ya the drive down from mayo with the caravan with 3 kids wud be too long. But if the price gap is still there in 2023, I'll defo do a mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just booked for August 2022.

Out on 12th, Dublin to Cherbourg, back 25th.

€1204, one 4 Berth cabin each way, flexi.

3 adults in a 5 berth motorhome.

Deposit paid, so something to look forward to.

Cheapest cabin available is €113, while reserved seats are €29 each.

Cabin is only €25 more.

Post edited by Nekarsulm on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looked at prices for July, forget it, we're flying somewhere this time.

• Advertisement

Unrelated to the Irish Ferries price gouging.

Has anyone booked through Homair or allcamps instead of Eurocamp?

Prices seems to be significantly cheaper on the same sites offered by eurocamp and with better mobiles (Newer design with Aircon and TV)

Advertisement