Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I gave you the link to the calculator with the tax etc. Sorry if you can’t understand

You should note, two people on a combined 100k get more money than a single person on 100k. Just in case you are not aware, two tax free allowance.

The SF tax is on a single person earning 100k, that’s the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

You undoubtedly apply the same standards to our illustrious TDs and Ministers who have to claim travelling and various other expenses to make ends meet in attending our Dail.

I can hear you now Maryanne.... " You didn't know how far you'd have to travel into work before standing for election? , away off with you wanting to be paid to travel into your work"

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Now im on nowhere near 100k a year but I guess the crux of the matter is does someone on 100k already pay their fair share and I think at €38.5k in direct taxation they do, why should they pay more tax for services they (or their kids in fact) are very unlikely to need such as social welfare and public healthcare?

Someone on €35k a year only pays €6k in direct tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The Tories do capital projects.

Eg channel tunnel,HS2,Manchester metro,Dockland light rail. Etc.

They have been in power for 43 of the last 71 years. They do capital projects like pretty much every other developed country on the planet.

We don't even have a rail link to an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The way I see it, there are two categories of cost of living when it comes to government policy: Domestic issues which the government can intervene with, and international issues which are outside our control. The issue of housing, for example, is a domestic issue. The issue of energy prices, for example, is an international one.

When it comes to domestic issues, government subsidies at the buying end are the wrong way to go, as they only act to further inflate prices and enrich those exploiting the issue to begin with. These issues are better solved with government policy to reduce prices, than putting more money in peoples' pockets to pay those prices without addressing supply and market forces.

When it comes to international issues, government subsidies are unfortunately pretty much the only way to go - unless of course an alternative is to circumvent the internationality of the issue by implementing a homegrown solution. On some of the issues we face, this is something the government can do - on others, it is not.

A domestic example: It's well known at this point that SF want to dramatically increase the amount of social housing built in this country in combination with measures to reign in those intentionally exploiting the housing crisis to price gouge. The former policy will help, but will take time to do so. The latter policies are therefore necessary in the interim. Ramp up the construction of social housing, and while we're waiting for it to be built, make it harder for the existing housing stock to be exploited as a means of leeching money from the people who are competing in that market. Vacant property penalties, rent controls, etc. All of this is SF policy - address supply in the medium term and address price gouging in the interim.

An international example: Energy prices. It's fairly well known at this stage that the issue of skyrocketing electricity and petrol bills this year is largely coming about as a result of international forces which are disrupting the supply chain long before anything is imported into Ireland - in other words, in terms of what we have to buy into the country, the price increases are occurring before it gets to our border. This isn't something the government can directly intervene in, so this is an area in which government intervention on the buying side is the only way to alleviate the issue. Reducing VAT or excise on fuel and/or increasing the state's assistance to those less well off in terms of fuel allowances are one example of policy intervention in this regard. State subsidies for people to retrofit their homes with modern insulation etc to reduce the amount of energy required during the winter, is another.

SF recently released a document calling for these kinds of interventions: https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/61977

Outlining what other EU countries have done and suggesting we do similar - targeting the profits of energy companies, increasing state fuel welfare, delaying the implementation of the (necessary) carbon tax initiatives until this particular crisis has passed, etc etc etc.

These are two examples. My point is that while your arguments about economics are logical, you are failing to acknowledge that there are supply side issues which simply cannot be fixed on the government's end because they are happening outside Ireland, and the only thing we can do in these instances is to either reduce the state-imposed burden on prices via excise, etc, or increase the assistance the state gives to people.

The bottom line is, taking the "let the chips fall where they may" approach that our current government is so, so, so fond of when it comes to the cost of living is simply not an acceptable answer. It is unpalatable and unacceptable to simple allow peoples' lives to be decimated in this way, yet this is what our government has been doing ever since the beginning of the "recovery".

SF have directly stated that they will not do this. They are not taking the lassaiz-faire approach, and right now, of the three big parties, they're the only ones who are, at least on paper, committed to not doing that. FG are absolutely committed to it, FF are... Well honestly it's difficult to tell what FF actually stand for these days. The Greens are too tunnel visioned in their (rightful!) crusade against the looming impacts of climate change to realise that things have to be done in a way which is recognisant of peoples' everyday reality and at least attempts to shield quality of life to some extent. Labour simply can't be trusted after the amount of BS they tolerated when in coalition in the earlier part of this decade. PBP aren't seen as a party by many, unfortunately, to a great many young leftists in particular Richard Boyd Barrett is the only well known face of the party and a vote for them is seen as splitting the left vote when the momentum is with Sinn Fein. Same goes for the Soc Dems.

On that last point, it is a great shame that so many in Ireland do not fully appreciate the beauty that is our PR-STV system. Splitting the vote is less of an issue for us here than it is in other jurisdictions, and so the momentum argument isn't as valid as it would be in a country like the UK or the US. But the fact remains that many people genuinely fear that it does, which is why the vote goes where the momentum is.

The support for SF really is this simple. I feel like honestly, more people would understand this if the media in Ireland spent more time actually speaking to ordinary voters, and young people in particular - what I witnessed at the 2020 election count in Dublin was a media which was utterly dumbfounded by what was going on, whereas myself and my friends saw that election play out more or less exactly as we had anticipated. There is a huge, huge, huge lack of recognition of the issues facing young, single people and young families in Ireland - in fact, to be honest, the fact that it took until the second major level five lockdown for the "bubble" system for single-occupant households to be introduced is evidence of that. I posted extensively about this during the course of last year - that policies were very obviously being made entirely by people who had established family units, and initially held absolutely no regard for the plight of young, single people living alone.

SF at least act as if they understand that plight and care about doing something to fix it. 

• Advertisement

^^^

one thing to note, the biggest blocker of houses been build in Dublin for years and still today is Sinn Fein. Plenty of information around and even Waterford whispers done a joke article about it last night.

Saying SF understand the plight? Maybe they do but currently they are one of the main reasons it exists in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein have proposed to give a €0.5m new tax break to J.P. McManus. If only they would look at the desperation of people?

OF course you can be critical of something and that is the end of it. However, you completely lack credibility and look stupid. So we pretty much agree on Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

.....I know its a SF thread, hence why I'm talking about SF.

I'm in full agreement with you that I don't think SF should be filling that gap for anyone.....talking about should (I even used a wee italic for you this time) is all well and good, the issue is that polling indicates that for a significant enough number of people, they're apparently the closest thing to it.

You can scream about it until you're blue in the face, but a significant enough percentage of the electorate are so fazed by FF/FG that even fecking SF seem like a better choice to them. That is deeply concerning given our agreement that SF are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.....and they'll hold up about as well to the heat of actual governance as one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Nah not really now. So by your thinking if a working family can't afford to buy or manage rent they should say nothing unless they've a housing policy in their pocket? :)

• Advertisement

Why would he be getting that tax break, whats the criteria?

I think the old saying applies to Sinn Fein. If you are a fool, better to keep your mouth shut rather than opening it and confirming you are a fool to the world.

So, yes, Sinn Fein would be better advised saying nothing.

He has a mansion worth €200m, the LPT on that is around €0.5m. Sinn Fein are abolishing the LPT in their budget, giving J.P. McManus a new €0.5m tax break.

LPT....all the rich people in South County Dublin would be handed a nice tax break.....all the millionaires around Ireland in mansions would get a tax beak.....

Just to take one example of the nonsense that is in the Sinn Fein budget. They have proposed €1m capital expenditure for an embassy in Palestine. That seems fair enough, you could buy an office and an Ambassador's residence for that and pay for set-up costs in most cities in the world.

However, they have made no provision for increased current expenditure i.e. extra staff for the DFA. So build an embassy, but put no staff in it is one of their policies!!!!

It's a shambles. Like the LPT is baffling, county councils are desperate for the money. People are demanding more amenities now for kids etc, they are trying to keep the lights on and SF big idea is to cut their entire budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

And how big are JPs tax breaks on his horseracing empire given to him by FFG Government?

In fairness to JP, most of his money is made outside of Ireland and he is resident in Switzerland (where he conducts his business from).

Well, you see that is the point. The LPT gets around the tax residency issue because it is a tax on a fixed asset on the ground. So J.P. McManus can hide half the year in Switzerland, and avoid all other taxes, but he still has to pay the LPT.

How many people are employed by horse racing in Ireland?

That's not true as you know. They along with the SD's and others block the mass wastes of tax payer money being spent to line the pockets of cuckoo funds while making the crisis worse.

• Advertisement

But aren't they proposing a tax on wealth over 1 million, so JP will be actually paying more tax elsewhere?

Seems FF/FG are playing catch up because didn't they suggest hiking taxes on multinationals?

Ahead of Budget 2021, Sinn Féin had proposed a reduction in tax breaks for multinational corporations in a bid to bring in more than €700m in tax revenue.

However, Tánaiste and Fine Gael leader, Leo Varadkar, took to social media to criticise the proposal.

“Multinationals played a crucial role in lifting Ireland out of the last recession and they will again as we rebuild our economy after Covid," Mr Varadkar wrote on Twitter. “What does SF want to do? Tax them.” 

Cork TD Donnchadh O Laoghaire (SF) said the Tánaiste’s comments were a sign of desperation.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40097468.html

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The SF alternate budget is total pie in the sky stuff, id be embarrassed to be putting my name to it as an average person never mind these are policies are supposed to be from experts in the area, hoping to run the country:

20k new social houses built next year - absolutely impossible, id say the average is 2 years to go from nothing ->planning->building->handing over keys, never mind the building industry is operating at full capacity. Even if you had all the sites and planning ready to go it would be impossible.

900 new hospital beds next year - again impossible, the NCH for instance will have 470 beds and they are saying 2024 for that now, where are they going to magic up 2 NCH's next year from?

6,250 new healthcare staff next year - HSE cant even fill the vacancies they have at the moment and where are these staff going to live?

Getting rid of help to buy - Guaranteed to annoy a lot of potential SF voters but also likely to drive up social housing lists

I know all government parties are bad for these optimistic promises and sometimes its better to shoot for the sky but my god SF how much of my brain am I meant to turn off to believe this stuff?

Eh no. He won't, because he is not a tax resident in Ireland.

Sinn Fein are replacing a tax on fixed assets in Ireland (which is levied on every house, whether or not the owner is a tax exile or tax-resident) and replaced it with an undetailed, uncosted, tax on a person's wealth. You can only tax person's who are tax-resident in Ireland, so the wealth tax won't be paid by J.P. McManus or the overseas property funds. Instead, you will see the local ordinary businessman, the kind of guy who employs ordinary locals, paying the extra tax.

It really is outstandingly stupid the way they have gone about this. The only real way of taxing wealth is to tax the asset through a tax like LPT.

Be a great sign of solidarity for the Palestinians. Coveney speaks well on it but this would be a bigger statement.

So that's why you and the indo singled out poor JP. I suppose he hasn't been paying his subs to he party.

I believe they plan on tackling tax loopholes too. I think going after income is best. There are people in houses worth a hell of a lot of money with medium to low income. I don't think people should be penalised for it. Enda Kenny said it was 'morally unjust', but that was when he was pretending to have an ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That's one aspect. Any proposals will have imperfections. But you're ignoring the vast proposals they have suggested on closing tax loopholes etc. What I have found hilarious is the scrutiny that one point will receive against SF versus the vast universe of insane policies and issues in the actual budget. Truly wonderful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

SF and FF fairly closely linked here. Scary to see how many FG supporters support partition.

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1446435348192677921?t=4Es0iypMi-gexQSIy2hBhw&s=19

So you have absolutely zero to refute my analysis of the stupidity of Sinn Fein's tax proposals, other than some kind of FG rant. Once again, on the SF thread, discussing SF policies, and the response is something something FG something attack poster something something FG something.

Utterly predictable.

I have already explained why J.P. McManus and his friends will escape the SF tax loophole closing. International tax treaties are legally obliging.

Again, deflect to the government on the SF thread, but I have already pointed out two measures of stupidity in the SF budget. There are plenty more, such as the way that students are abandoned when it comes to accommodation, with no provision for them. Ooops, another mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lads, did SFs mad tax plans include pulling down the main tent pole of the economy?

Thank god they're not in government eh?

Advertisement