Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Comments

If it was the only way for 100% of costs for a fully rebuilt house to be agreed to by the government it wouldn't be the worst thing. It would also mean that all houses could be completed significantly faster and everyone could get on with their lives.

Would many people want to wait 10-15 years for a slim chance of their house being rebuilt to original plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

If you remove all emotion, which is not easy to do, this to my mind the most effective and manageable solution.

I'm only assuming what the poster is referring to here but I've had one person say to me that people who "self built" i.e did not use a contractor and Engineer/arch to sign off but selected all materials and trades people etc themselves were at the time happy to take the cost savings but now when it went wrong are looking to blame the government. When I heard the guy say that I didn't have a come back to him....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi

It wouldn't matter if it was self built or contractor. You've presently got no come back. The blocks are defective in both scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Firstly I don't believe that would be a widespread issue, houses whether self build or not still need to be inspected at various stages.

However that is a moot point in this issue, it is the blocks that were defective. There is zero evidence that anyone sourced cheap sub standard blocks to save money on their build cost.

That would be so incredibly stupid as to defy belief. As far as I know blocks are relatively cheap, there would be no savings to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭golondrinas

After protest on m50 offer the 90 %. If they shut down vital roads again offer them 80%. After that tell them to fcuk off. Government holding the cards. Not many going about their lawful business this morning will have much sympathy for them. Citizenry not happy (in any case) forking out 2.5 billion for this Wild West type building. Now less happy.

The guy had sympathy for people who bought in a housing estate as that family had no input to material used etc.

Same with familes who built with a contractor & arch signing off the build - these professions should be responsible first and then government should step in as they did their best to ensure they used professionals to build their home.

Whereas people who did all the build themselves, they were happy to take responsibility for the savings they made at the time and now are looking to him (tax payer) to give the self build guy his 100% redress and like for like re-build. He felt it was a case of buyer beware for these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭Allinall

I must say my level of sympathy and empathy to the affected people has taken a big dive this morning, when i heard of the "slow" protest on the M50.

Pissing off the very people they are asking to fund a redress scheme is the height of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

A self build house still has to meet building regulations.

I don't mind different opinions on whether redress should be given or how much redress should be given. That is your own opinion. But it is simply factually wrong to suggest peole that did self builds cut corners to reduce costs and that is why they're facing this issue.

That is simply untrue. People are entitled to different opinions but at least keep it factually correct.

Self build, or contract or second hand home is imaterial to the mica issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Good luck. One morning and you're pissed off. Feel the pain.

• Advertisement

Where did i say I was pissed off?

Maybe read the post you were replying to.

I am not suggesting people cut corners at all. What I am doing is feeding back what I've heard from this person and his thoughts. Which I'm sure if one person is thinking there are more out there too. Most of the population, including myself, have no idea on how building is done or signed off. They most likely just hear self build/one off houses and assume this equals it was all done by the owner with no controls in place and for some reason we all live in McMansions too!

Wild West type building!

FFS. There seems to be some thick folk around who think that 7000+ houses in Donegal and Mayo were all built by unqualified builders, using the cheapest stuff they could find.

I do despair. But I do think some people are just trolling on the internet for a bit of craic.

Thought against hope it might get discussed on LiveLine today, but just heard the preview of whats on today was on the Ronan Collins show, and no mention of Mica protest.

Not surprised at all, not sure what his beef is with the campaign?

Maybe its because there are much more important things to talk about like:

• someone couldn't do their driving test cos they trimmed the insurance disc
    • someone at school can't wear their blazer cos it hasn't got the crest on it.

The show is an embarrassment at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

An absolute masterclass in how to lose support in the GDA.

While the current leadership did well to get it on the political agenda, the group are being poorly served by them now. They are combative, evasive and have shown themselves as willing to disrupt the lives of those they want support from. Dubliners are blameless here, this was something Donegal people did to Donegal people.

That said, the silly tactics and hot-headed emotion doesn't change the fact that something needs to be done - but it may impact the political calculus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes every motorist is paying for Quinn failure in insurance, poor govt regulation led to that event. And the government had to step in after the fact and regulate - hence the quinn levies and cash reserves all Irish insurers now need to hold.

The same situation as quarry/defective blocks scandal essentially - the government and self-regulation of providers has led to gross negligence, the cost of which massively eclipses the value of any assets that could be sold or seized. It is Quinn all over again, the one common factor? The govt light-touch regulation.

If you weren't caught up in the go-slow yourself, why are you losing sympathy for the campaign?

I could understand if you were late for work or something. But if you just heard about it, not sure why you are annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does it matter ? It's an idiotic strategy. It pisses off people they talk to friends and family it pisses off them. Then they hear Mica and they turn off in future.

Absolutely bizarre strategy tbh.

I'm not annoyed.

I am a taxpayer who will have to pay for the redress scheme.

I find it hard to have sympathy for people who deliberately piss off the cohort they are asking to help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just passed the protest at the customs House. Thought there'd be more there, maybe 2500?

Maybe not every householder is holding out for more?

• Advertisement

It isn't easy to get a day off work. I couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for that little insight. The extent of your talents knows no boundaries.

Ah here, now you are just trolling and I'm not having it. You were warned previously so now I am thread banning you. DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD AGAIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was caught on the M50 this morning. That kind of action does nothing. Those in Government couldn't give a fudge about the M50 at rush hour.

I know someone high up in the campaign, and I'll be letting them know when I next see them that slowing traffic and p1ssing people off is a bad tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Only way to make any headway is to cost Dublin, you can have all the protests you want around the country and RTE and the Indo won't report on it, bring your protest to Dublin and the politicians and media take notice, It was well enough publicised ,those who didn't know about Mica ,know now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Grand, can we explore the concept of empathy a little?

If you think only folk directly impacted by the go-slow should care about those who were, why would you feel that people who aren't directly impacted by mica should care about those who were?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Now I know you are just here to troll. There were an estimated 10,000 at the last protest. There's more at this one.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Afraid not. It's a sure fire way to bring the cost into focus and have a very negative sway in public opinion. The existing scheme will come into question and the heralded figures of 350k most people will wonder why that's not enough.

You need the Dublin public on side just as much as anyone . The TDs will be reading the room and not just Donegal TDs who lets face it are probably on the block regardless.

Advertisement