Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

The government has said that 100% redress for a full demolish and rebuild is not an option.

Friday there will be a march with however many people and that will finish up by 6pm as they have to make the trek back home. Paddy Diver will show the news stations more blocks breaking apart. Government TDs won't show their faces anywhere near Dublin 2 after 12 and before everyone leaves. Mary Lou will be out front and center taking pictures and saying that Sinn Fein support 100% redress. Pictures will be in Saturday newspapers showing people holding signs saying 100% redress, no less.

By Monday we will be back talking about the budget and Friday will be a distant memory for everyone not affected by Mica.

There doesn't seem to be a strategy to brings this to a solution that all sides can agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Everyone was the right to protest but when start this crack with a go-slow on the M50 this morning and planned again this evening delaying people trying to get to work and the likes of hospital appointments they will lose support very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

To be honest having a go slow protest on the M50 is stupid. Even a lot of the supporters on this thread have adopted the same combative approach. And open question are the Mica protesters actively trying to stop the people affected getting help?

I think everyone has sympathy and thinks they should help. It's a question of how much help they should get considering we have a housing crisis. They are not the only people looking for a new house so to a certain degree it's get in line with everyone else.

From a personal point of view I think they should be helped but they shouldn't get 100% redress. It's unfair on everyone else looking for a house and the money could be better spent on tackling other areas of the housing crisis that me have. The actions of their supporters both this morning and on this thread has actively turned me against them.

The situation of the home owners is tragic and speaks for itself. They need to get new leaders for the campaign instead of the current leaders who seem to playing a game of how much they can annoy the general public. Instead of focusing on tragic situation of the people impacted. The campaign should be about people and not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I did not hear about a go-slow on the M50 being planned, and I would not agree with such a tactic as I feel its important to keep as many of the general public on-side with the campaign. But to say the current leaders have been playing a game of how much they can annoy the public is slightly disingenuous. Up to that go-slow, there has been absolutely no pissing off people, not that I know of anyway.

Unfortunately it looks like the campaigners feel that a little bit of disruption might highlight the issue more, that's their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

64% of donegal housing stock are one-offs - source on that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

I think the campaign needs new leaders. The best article I saw about the situation was an interview with a family impacted. That's what needs to be focused on. Not the money aspect.

Rejecting an offer of 350k is quiet frankly insulting. We have a housing crisis. 350k would buy a decent house/apartment in most places in the country never mind in a rural area where house prices tend to lower. Most people would bite your hand off it offered that.

So when I say the leaders of the campaign are focused on money this is exactly that I am talking about. There doesn't seem to be any real appreciation that the people affected are just one of many people in a similar situation ie people who need new housing. Some of the stuff they have come out with like the 350k rejection is only going to annoy large sections of society and actively damages their cause. They may not mean to annoy the public but I'd argue thats exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

You'd think that would be the case, but I actually don't know if the political system will respond like that. There's a visceral delight in attacking Dublin, even if its senseless. So, yeah, a bunch of people can deliberately inflict harm on people who haven't harmed them and get away with it. Maybe they'll be rewarded with 99.95% redress, to encourage the next campaign to do the same.

I very much doubt this will mean the existing promise of substantial compensation will be removed.

There's not a lot of sense in the campaign, but that's not holding it up. On an aside, I'm struck by the way that folk in Donegal have a mindset where even the actions or inactions of the local Council they elect they see as something that M50 motorists can be blamed for.

But, apparently, no-one actually directly connected to the transactions that cause a particular house to be built at a particular time with particular materials has any responsibility. Legal action is just a fallback, in the event of Government not stumping up 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You mention 2008. There were many people whose pensions were bank shares. When the government took over the banks, they got nothing, zero, zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

I fully agree that they should be helped in some way but I absolutely don't agree they should be getting 100% redress.

I saw some figures that 100% redress would cost something like €3.2billion.

That kind of money would go a massive way in sorting out the many serious issues in this country, the health service, the homeless, the education system, the list could go on.

Totally accept the homeowner has been well and truly shafted and should be given some help, however, the taxpayer's money shouldn't have to foot the entire bill to sort of this mess.

There isn't an infinite amount of tax papers money in the pot.

• Advertisement

3.2 billion would do nothing for the health service - its already one of the best funded in the world, the problem is not money.

Nor would it sort the homeless, because homelessness in this country is an industry. Plenty of NGOs need homelessness to keep going or they are out of jobs. Self-preservation trumps altruism for the most part.

The education system does not need massive money either, it needs reformed teaching practices and curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Still doesn't mean there's money there for 100% redress.

The original offer seemed more than reasonable and this morning's shenanigans just showed the protestors up to be greedy, wilful and very selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The protest was/is in the city centre. Are you saying there was also a protest earlier on the M50?

Central Statistics Office. Map 2.2 at this URL:

[url]https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/od/[/url]

Is it a surprise to you that most housing in Donegal is one-off?

Was the money there for the bank bailout? Or Quinn Insurance fiasco?

Somehow we find the money to pay for these things anyways, and we make it so it doesnt happen again. Failure to take appropriate actions now for redress and regulation will mean the same thing happening for a 3rd time not long in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm speaking as someone potentially affected by Mica, so definitely not opposed to the Mica action group but disrupting traffic etc will be counter productive. There is nothing to be gained by pissing off the wider Irish public who are largely supportive.

I also find it hard to argue with redress with 350k cap.(If that was an actual offer/proposal) If i'm badly affected I would have no problem accepting that.

The reality is if you dont ruffle a few feathers you never get so much as noticed.

There have been double digits of protests over the last month outside Dail Eireann, could you name even 2 of them? Probably not. They are mild and inoffensive, there for a photo-op and they leave. The average person wouldnt even know they were there.

If you want people to take notice of a cause, you have to be prepared to get on their bad side. If it comes to a 3rd protest in Dublin, plenty of Dubliners will be wishing the government did enough to placate them so it didnt bring traffic to a halt again.

@joe40 I am with you.

I mentioned in other thread that I will be saying to a figure high up in the campaign that disrupting traffic is not a smart thing to do.

And as for the 350k cap, I too would take their hand off them now. But not sure I will get the chance to accept it if the campaign doesnt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I think there's a lack of understanding of the political calculus.

If the government give in to the type of bullying protest this seems to be morphing into then they look weak. Which means the next rent-a-mob with a gripe are incentivised to do similar, and while placating one small group they alienate the majority who, sooner or later, will extract a political price for giving in to bullying.

They also incentivise the group to return for more. I suspect pouring €3 billion + into Donegal is going to create a lot of local inflation in construction prices, meaning people won't be able to get their houses replaced like-for-like with any current money they receive that is notionally 100% redress, meaning if they need to they'll just come back and think "well we got 100% for disrupting the city for a day, I wonder how much we'll get if we do it for 3 days, or 5 days."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I get the impression that the people pushing hard on furthering this may actually be folks with investment properties multiple properties or properties which they paid alot more than 350k for. And frankly they are doing the majority of the homeowners impacted by this an absolute injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There are other counties higher than Donegal, and many very close as well.

It appears one-off housing is an Irish thing, not a Donegal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

In Ireland Public funding accounts for 73% of all health spending, this is lower than the EU average of 79%. The rest is made directly out of the pocket of households through private health insurance, which plays a much bigger role in Ireland compared to most other EU countries. 

The source for these figures is the World Health Organisation and can be accessed

https: //www_euro.who_int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/419463/Country-Health-Profile-2019-Ireland.pdf

You think the education system doesn't need a massive amount of money? Really?

A report from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) just released in Sept 2021 ranked Ireland in last place out of 36 countries when it comes to investment in education.  This amounts to 3.3% of GDP compared to the OECD average of 4.9% or the EU average of 4.4%

The quick findings of the report can be found here https: //www_independent_ie/irish-news/education/irelands-share-of-gdp-spent-on-education-smallest-of-38-nations-40859267.html

if you feel like reading the full report it can be found here.

https: //www_oecd_org/education/education-at-a-glance/

Like, all you really need to do is see and hear about all the kids with special needs who don't have school places or have to travel way out of their way to access a school that will meet their needs to see the lack of funding in the education system.

So clearly part of the €3.2 billion could do a lot of good.

• swap the _ for a . in the links. Was unable to post the actual links

Post edited by ToTheSea on

And your point? I was responding to apparent surprise by some that most housing in Donegal would be one-off. I'd have thought that people would know that as a by-the-by, particularly if they live in the place, but apparently not.

Indeed, some other counties - mostly, but not all, on the Western seaboard. similarly have 60%+ one-offs. It looks me like only 3 counties have a higher proportion of one-offs - Galway County, Roscommon and Monaghan. But, like, so what.

The germaine point was, simply, that as most of the housing in Donegal is one-off, we shouldn't be surprised that most of the mica-impacted houses are one-off. As as many rural one-offs are self-builds, we similarly shouldn't be surprised to find many of the mica-impacted houses are self-builds.

Make of that what you will - it's others that seemed to have trouble accepting these basic facts. Including Donegal people who apparently haven't noticed most houses in their county are one-offs, and think that Donegal Council Council is an alien authority forced on them by people in Dublin over which they have no control.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Read the map. 64% of the housing built in the period 2011-2016 were one off builds. Coincidentally, there was a gigantic housing crash and depression around this time if you remember. Resulting in little investment in housing projects outside individual builders. If you are going to quote the CSO, please get it right, or at least read your own link.

It even says the following:

Over 60 per cent of households in County Galway were one-off houses, the highest in the country. Roscommon (56%) and Leitrim (52%) also had a large proportion of this particular type of house.

So somehow Donegal has a higher percentage than Galway, despite Galway being the highest in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

This guy - Paddy Diver - now featuring on all news bulletin boasting he can block M50 with 500 people any time he wants, and is planning on doing so every 3 days without warning unless they get what they want.

So Dublin commuters are to be targeted directly as a negotiation tactic

And, again, is there a point to this? Are you saying Donegal people are mostly apartment dwellers?

• Advertisement

Advertisement