Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Doors locked, Sophie only dressed for "stepping outside" and presumably with no keys on her person.

Presumably she decided to venture outside for some reason, leaving the door open behind her.

There may have been an initial injury, followed by an attempt by Sophie to go back indoors.

The blood on the handle may have been transferred there, either from Sophie's or her attacker's hand.

Maybe I'm only stating the obvious ??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're talking about four witnesses.

There is Alife Lyons of the "90% sure" I may have introduced them very briefly in the garden one day. Whatever 90% sure means. Sounds like covering himself in case he is contradicted.

One of them is Leo Bolger of the suspiciously light sentence for serious drug dealing and the suspiciously vivid recollection of a casual introduction.

Two of them in France miraculously remembered years later some connection when it was convenient for the French authorities ... not when Sophie was murdered, not when Ian Bailey was arrested. Yeah right.

And regardless she did not know him in the personal sense. I don't consider I know someone who I was v briefly introduced to in a semi-professional capacity. The strongest that could be said is that she knew who he was, if Alfie's "90% sure" testimony is to be believed.

There is zero evidence of any personal contact by Bailey with Sophie - no letters, phone calls, nobody saw them alone together, not a shred.

Zero evidence to support the idea she knew him well enough to open the door to him at 3am aside from general principles of opening to door to someone in an emergency.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Could she have been seeing someone out (or insisting they leave) ??

Was her car parked in such a way as to easily facilitate a guest's car ??

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Murders tend to be brutal. In 2019 a 64-year-old farmer with no previous convictions killed his 73-year-old neighbour by driving the pronged forks of a teleporter into his car. That was a neighbourhood squabble. People go out of their way to make sure that there isn't proof lying around so to say there's no proof is ridiculous. There is far more probability that Alfie and Shirley did it than anybody else. But people seem to be reluctant to ask the kind of questions that should have been asked. Like how come they stayed around the scene when they realised that there was a murderer about and they might be next? Why did they both go to Sophie's house when a glance would have told anyone that she was the victim? f

For all that Bailey's supposed returning to the scene of the crime is a classic trait of a murderer so is attempting to contact a person you know to be dead because you have killed them but it makes you appear innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

In red corner we have Honest Ian. In the blue corner we have over 20 witnesses who directly contradict Bailey`s statements and must all be part of a keystone cop conspiracy.

• Advertisement

You will bend over backwards to make your case. The Guards fingerprinted and took hair from people. One can presume that they had DNA and fingerprints from around the scene but obviously it isn't much use if it's from someone who had reason to be there. So stop being silly.

I am making no assertions like you are in the case of Bailey. I am asking people to consider everything within reason about people who were in the immediate vicinity of the murder. I'm happy it makes you uncomfortable.

You obviously mean real thick stupid Ian who goes around telling people he murdered someone. Again ignore the DPP's report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

Anytime I've seen him interviewed, he says quite the opposite..

20 witnesses, 100 witnesses, doesn't matter how many there are if they are of the calibre of Marie Farrell, Leo Bolger, the French witnesses of the miraculous memory, Martin Graham of the police drugs bribe, Bill Fuller of the terrifying encounter in the field, Alfie Lyons of the sound sleep and the 90% certainty, the people Bailey supposedly confessed a brutal murder to yet kept on drinking with him ...

Three times the DPP has looked at this tissue of evidence, and three times has seen right through it, probably in part because they saw the Garda log before it was tampered with.

There was a cop conspiracy, the only question is for what purpose - to deliberately frame an innocent man, to shield someone, to get a result to cover up their initial mistakes, or to try to get Bailey at all costs because they had some evidence he did it that they couldn't reveal in court (for whatever mystifying reason).

@tibruit I understand you're selective about what you'll answer but anyway. If the DPP's first report is very persuasive in accepting the truthfulness of what Ian Bailey says he was doing on the day of the murder and Shirley contradicts him, she is mistaken about something that would prove to be damning for Bailey. Why would she persist with her version of events knowing how serious it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Who witnessed this mysterious blue Fiesta speeding from the scene? If I recall, the local postman driving his delivery van encountered or had a near miss with such a vehicle but nowhere near the murder scene. It was on the main road heading to Schull. So, it could have come from anywhere. Maybe it was somebody late for work. As regards the Doc Marten boot print, again it could be anybody's. A Garda detective or inspector would not be wearing such footwear if on duty or having just ended a shift. These are plain clothed officers. I am unsure what rank the deceased Bantry cop - mentioned as a possible suspect - held. The only speeding car witnessed near Toormore that morning was being driven by Ian Bailey in the direction of Sophie's house. This occurred sometime before news of the murder became widespread. What was he doing if not on a journalistic assignment having acted on a tip off? Also, in the Netflix documentary footage somebody had recorded showing Bailey crossing a police barrier and walking up the drive toward the house. This was a live crime scene. Did he have permission from the Gardai to do so and for what reason was he there, other than, perhaps, calling on his friends Alfie and Shirley.

Bailey went to visit Alfie 4 days after the murder, according to earlier reports on the thread.

use search: "murder at the cottage" briquettes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

As far as I know Bailey didn't own a car, but often drove Jule's car. If he was using Jule's car for the murder returned home, then he must have cleaned the car very thoroughly to return to the crime scene on the very next day. It's be pretty self incriminating if Bailey returned to the crime scene with a car's interior having blood stains from Sophie's blood. Or he really had balls.....

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, that's it in a nutshell

"Director of Public Prosecutions Eamonn Barnes said that the evidence ‘came nowhere near’ warranting a charge against Mr Bailey and that the case was ‘thoroughly flawed and prejudiced’ in relation to the former journalist.

Mr Barnes said that the garda investigation culminated in ‘a grossly improper attempt to achieve or even force a prosecutorial decision which accorded with that prejudice’.

Does anyone know what relationship Alfie had to Bill Fuller, if any?

Does anyone know what relationship Marie Farrell had to Bill Fuller, if any?

Does anyone know if Bill Fuller had any links to drugs in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder if the wells and septic tanks were searched for the houses in the immediate area?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I don't think Graham Dyer is comparable in this case..

Graham Dyer groomed, nurtured and moulded his victim into a submissive state over a long period of time. In his own mindset he dehumanised her, stopped seeing her as a person, more like an object to fulfill his deviance.

By the time Graham got around to killing his victim, he was totally devoid of any compassionate emotions towards her.. She was not a human being to him anymore, a mindset that he had evolved to over a long span of time.

Sophie's murderer did not have the time to dehumanise her. It was a rash action that probably got out of hand super fast.

Once the anger and rage had subsided, reality kicks in fairly lively.

The consequences of his actions would become all too clear.. A life of imprisonment, his family shamed, the guilt of what he'd done, the total mess his life had now become... Of course his personality will change, and change suddenly and drastically.

There was no brutal murders in Schull before Sophies, and none since... This has all the hallmarks of a one off event.

The murderer changed, I have no doubt about it. And people around him noticed the change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

"There was no brutal murders in Schull before Sophies, and none since... This has all the hallmarks of a one off event".

This is the key for me. The Gardai said that the murderer must be charged as they were likely to re-offend again. This was one of their arguments for arresting Bailey.

So if it was Bailey, why has he never murdered anyone since (or before as far as we know) since the Gardai were so sure that he would do it again?

If the issue was cleared with her death why would they need to kill anybody again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

With the amount of media, garda, and public attention on Ian Bailey after the event is it really any surprise there was no other murders since.

For someone as described by the Gardai, they would have a compulsion to act, none of the above would matter. They would not stop themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Do you think the murderer is still alive? I don't know if there exists a concept in Psychology where those guilty of crimes convince themselves they are in fact innocent and I don't mean just lying about or denying their involvement. It must take it's toll eventually both mentally and physically. This could be the case with Bailey. True, you could never compare him with the likes of Dwyer who is a truly evil narcissist. Bailey is just a sad.drunken loser who ,more than likely, committed a brutal killing in a single moment of madness he will never repeat in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Brilliant. He must have had some nose on him not to be put off with the smell of bleach.

Its kinda of hard to murder someone when you have a couple of detectives following you everywhere you go. Also it's seems according to the west Cork podcasts that Ian cleaned up his act a bit after the murder. Stopped drinking whiskey which according to Jules turned him into a lunatic and the reason he beat the crap out of her. Interesting that he was drinking whiskey in the pub that night Sophie was killed.

Well it is possible they have but not in West Cork?

Wouldn't matter to someone driven by a 'compulsion', their own safety or getting caught wouldn't come into it.

I guess without the whiskey to warm him up, he wasn't up to the midnight cross country treks in search of victims and the washing off the blood in ice cold water. The demon drink has a lot to answer for.

What utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The Gards only said that, to get support from the public for their actions.

And yes, this murder was a one off event. This murder was only about Sophie. It was something she had seen, something she had known, something she had done, or was about to do, and that would have cost somebody else dearly.

• Advertisement

Call it nonsence if you want. These are the words of Jules and Ian themselves. They both admit he was a different person with whiskey in him. He couldn't handle it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement