Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's interesting the amount of effort that some posters are putting in to try and pin a single lie on Biden.

I mean, there's plenty more to talk about there, alternate strategies for Afghanistan (they're afraid to talk about that), there is the whole budget/debt cap going on (telling lies themselves about the timeline on this). Another poster has a "Biden went for a walk today, he embarrassed America by walking instead of using a gremlin to mobilise this is the end of Biden" schtick going on along with plagiarism.

But no, if I narrow my view just enough I might be able to pin a single lie on Biden is their sole interest for whatever reason.

It's a lot desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I am not trolling when I say I am actually shocked your line of defence is, well the interviewer said "should", and the general said Recommend, it's the same thing in this context. When I say to a mate, you "should" have a drink , I am not ordering them to have a drink like you seem to be implying "should" means.

Gen McKenzie

" I recommended that we maintained 2,500 troops in Afghanistan"

"And General Milley, I assume you agree with that in terms of the recommendation of 2,500?

Gen. Milley: (50:12)

What I said in my opening statement and the memoranda that I wrote back in the fall of 2020 remained consistent"

So that's Gen Milley and Gen McKenzie.

Now what about Gen Miller. Unfortunately his briefing is under wraps AFAIK. But this exchange means we know what was recommended by Gen.Miller.

"Mr. Inhofe: (50:21)

This committee is unsure as to whether or not General Miller’s recommendation ever got to the president. Obviously, there are conversations with the president, but I would like to ask, even though General McKenzie, I think you’ve all made this statement. Did you talk to the president about General Miller’s recommendation?

Gen. McKenzie: (50:41)

Sir, I was present when that discussion occurred, and I’m confident that the president heard all the recommendations and listened to them very thoughtfully"

"Mr. Inhofe: (11:01)

Around the same time, General Miller, who was then the commander of the US Forces Afghanistan advised his chain of command to keep approximately 2,500 troops in the country. "

So the commander of US forces in Afghanistan, (Gen.Miller), the commander of US Central command (Gen.Mckenzie), and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of staff, recommended the retention of the troops, and Biden "heard all the recommendations and listened to them very thoughtfully"

So what's your "numerous" other explainations?

It's not about the single lie thing, it's that he either lied or forgot completely in a major interview and posters here ignore it but they will smug post, bait, and insult while going on about how superior they are.

Someone highlights the blind loyalty fanboyism by pulling the transcripts, it's "so much effort" despite constant complaints about low effort posting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think anyone is ignoring it, just that they're not bought into all these things being impeachable offences.

Even taking your interpretation completely, do politicians get caught in spin often? Yes, do they do it maliciously? Most don't, some do (the predecessor), Biden doesn't seem to, he seems quite genuine in what he's doing and trying to achieve. Most people will be looking at the two infrastructure bills and the pros and cons of them instead (I remember one poster was particularly obsessed by Kamala Harris' opinion on Tupac in a similar way, but only to try and slur someone rather than having any point to make).

The "other side" is trying to make everything into a personality contest and trying to keep away from talking policy because they have none, you're putting yourself into that category making your posts more and more hollow and vacuous. Tucker Carlson style outrage only works with GQP supporters which gives you a very small audience (you're at the "even if the actions went well, what they said about it is an outrage" stage, which followed the "this is the worst set of actions ever by a president" stage).

I have misunderstood and mispoken of course, generally on minor matters, when asked a clarifying followup question I have not doubled down on something. Its also not comparable to a minor matter, this is about what advice he recieved in relation to one of the most important policy choices in the last 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

OK. So at least you have moved to understanding that it could have happened.

So at least we can move on from you insisting there are only three possibilities.

Did I say I had mispoke like that and douBled down on it in a important interview, no, forgetting extraordinarily important stuff and then Being convinced your right is often casually referred to as having a senior moment ;)

By you. You have acknowledged that he could have misspoken, you struggle to understand why he doubled down.

But you were adamant that there was only three options, which now accept, grudgingly, that there are indeed others.

So now that we agree that it may not have been a lie, or a senior moment, what exactly are you so exercised about that you have been chasing this for so long?

Suppose. To move on anyway.

Seems to be a trap for the Democrats from what I have been reading, but one that's of their own making. I am expecting the anger at Democrat holdouts but surely if they weren't centerists/ on right of party they wouldn't be elected and it would be republicans blocking anyway.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/575583-mcconnell-to-propose-deal-with-schumer-to-solve-debt-impasse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The ultra liberal New Yorker magazine is calling out Biden for the border crisis.

How Biden Came to Own Trump’s Border Policy

Haitian asylum seekers were deported under Title 42, a despised Trump-era practice that the current Administration can’t seem to let go of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This follows an emergency request from the Justice Dept. Good to see the administration standing up to Republican loons.

They really need to have a referendum on it, instead of all this constant court wrangling. Of course that is never going to happen, the greatest democracy in the world(tm) can't actually do that.

Just ask the straight question, rather than have it wrapped up in local, state etc elections where lots of other factors come into it.

Do that, and then tackle the 2nd Amendment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

When was the last federal referendum on a constitutional change? I can see the 'light touch government' types giving out about it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That's not the process; Congress (2/3 both houses) send the amendment to the states for ratification, or 2/3 of the states can have a convention and propose amendments. The latter has never happened, it'd be some sight if it did. Once proposed, the amendments need approval from 3/4 of the state legislatures or conventions of the states. Again, the 27 amendments were approved by state legislature vote, there's never been conventions.

FWIW the last amendment (which was proposed in 1792!) was ratified in 2019. Currently, the 'equal rights amendment' has met the 3/4 approval by State Legislatures, but is caught in legal wrangling initiated by the #2xIMPOTUS DoJ, everyone's favorite John Goodman lookalike, William Barr.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Decent article here indicating even as Afghanistan gets further in the rear view mirror he needs some big wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

President Biden is set to restore sweeping environmental protections to three major national monuments in Utah and New England, including Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante, that had been stripped away by Donald Trump.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ah Trump, never one to miss an opportunity to be become even more of a cartoon villain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Also the debt ceiling has been raised. 2 weeks before a shutdown, no brinkmanship. Where’s the poster who said this was impending doom?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This is why I’m glad he was elected.

He also moved to protect the Tongass national forest, which some loser wanted to level.

And stopped drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

“The president will also reimpose fishing restrictions in the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine national monument off the coast of New England that Trump had opened to commercial fishing.”

• Advertisement

Done a runner like normal?

Think the jobs report is out today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It might have been better if the GOP hadn't folded , but McConnell played the long game - as always.

The Democrats were planning to introduce a "Filibuster End-run" process where for specific legislation the Filibuster could be removed for a specific vote to allow them to get around the GOP being deliberately obstructive.

This actually would have been a very good thing in the longer term as it would set a precedent giving Manchin et al some cover to allow for the same exception to be used for things like the voting rights act etc.

It's telling that the GOP folded almost immediately when that suggestion started being discussed a few days ago.

McConnell knew that this debt ceiling game of chicken wasn't worth risking losing the filibuster on voting rights so in some ways this is a bit of a win for the GOP.

I thought his strategy was that by offering extension he doesn't risk the republicans getting blamed for tanking the global economy but will force the democrats to put a price tag on the amount of borrowing and still have to try pass their spending deals by is it Christmas/January?and said costs will be made obvious for attack ads to use later

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's definitely an element of that as well , but the timing of them agreeing to the extension I thought was telling.

Within about 48 hrs of the 1st stories of the Democrats prepping for this filibuster work-around proposal the GOP are giving the go ahead for the vote.

Much as I despise McConnell he is an incredibly shrewd parliamentarian and plays the "game" better than any other at the moment. Protecting the filibuster definitely factored into his decision here , without doubt.

He knew that even Manchin and Sinema wouldn't allow the default to happen just to protect the filibuster and as such would have however reluctantly, supported removing the filibuster to get the vote passed.

Once they'd done that once , McConnell knew that their ability to hold out on the filibuster for other votes would be massively weakened so he had no option but to let this one go.

September jobs report: Economy adds back disappointing 194,000 jobs, unemployment rate falls to 4.8%

At what point are people going to start to blame the continued reluctance of so many to get a vaccine, and thus prolong Covid, as a factor in the continued lack of big job numbers?

I'm sure it's available somewhere but it would be interesting to see where those 194k jobs were added and to compare the vaccination rates against the rate of jobs growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What matters in your question is who "they" are. As they say out here, "the dog on the street" knows this is the reason. What matters is if decision makers make changes. Short of mandating vaccines for everyone in the US, what more can be done? Direct hospitals to deprioritize unvaccinated patients arriving with Covid symptoms? Financial incentives to get vaccinated? Restrict the unvaccinated from most social activities (movies, dinners out, sporting events?) Reduce insurance compensation for Covid-related expenses when unvaccinated? These might help some.

Sites like 'sorryantivaxxer.com' and 'reddit.com/r/hermancainaward' provide the online a place to mock antivaxxers, but that's all there is. FWIW some of them make small donations to gofundme's to insult the dead antivaxer. But, will that change anything?

I'm not coming up with something that works. There's a core that's a cult, and as Jonestown and Heaven's gate in San Diego showed, there's nothing much you can do about cults.

• Advertisement

Sure we may as well just blame trump at this stage.

Advertisement