Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options

Comments

Reserved a copy in Argos. I think even €47 is a lot to ask for a game like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

'for a game like this'??

Really?

It's a highly reviewed entry in a series of highly acclaimed games... Why wouldn't it be 'full price'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, it's expensive at 60 quid. I think the Argos price is ok. 45 quid ish. But it's out of stock now. I'd say it'll drop to that price in Amazon etc soon, but no further.

But I'd rather play this than a million GTA5 s or Halo infinites or ...

Hoping it's great!

Play it. Play it again. Pass it into your kids ... I

If you don't like it sell it for probably much the same price in CEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Deleted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Digital Foundry have a video up about Dread; sounds like if nothing else, the game's a technical success (the Foundry folks are enthused about the game itself too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Did Argos have much stock? They're sold out nationwide. You can't pre-order with Argos before a product is available, so to sell out in less than a day, is a good sign. Though not for me. I'll be saving it for Christmas time, so hopefully they get more stock in shortly. Though I missed it, I'm glad now I didn't order it for €60 on Smyths.

if the greatest version of Tetris was released it would be a highly reviewed entry in a highly acclaimed series, but i still wouldn’t pay €60 quid for it

Metroidvania games are usually launched around the 20-30 mark (I think) eg Ori, Bloodstained, Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight. Okay I’ll pay a premium since it’s not just Metroidvania but literally Metroid, but i think €60 is very expensive. Look at it like this, it’s likely the same price as they’ll charge for Prime 4, which will have been much more expensive to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Just picked it up in Argos portlaoise. Reserved it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Already saw a guide posted about an hour and a half ago : Metroid Dread Boss Guide: How To Beat Samus’ 10 Monstrous Foes

😤🤬

Didn't click it but that's annoying

Post edited by Suckit on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo really are spoiling this game. Their latest Tweet is about a returning move, couldn't avoid it. I would have guessed it was in the game, but didn't want to see a video of it in action automatically playing.

• Advertisement

It's now or never for Metroid, so Nintendo need to sell the **** out of it. Switch is the best vehicle they could possibly have for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

My Argos order is in today. Only ordered yesterday. Can’t believe someone said 46 quid is expensive for a game like this. Because it’s side scrolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

A couple of hours in, and it’s fantastic. Platforming and combat just feel right, and the map is something that requires proper exploration.

The Emmi sections are great too, some moments feeling properly tense! Looking forward to getting back at it this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am really enjoying it so far.

The visuals remind me of Inside, the art style in the backgrounds, very nice indeed.

The gameplay, it works very well on the Switch, I haven't tried it docked as yet.

I've beaten the first boss and it was challenging, as I am rubbish at games, but a nice sense of satisfaction nevertheless.

Well done Nintendo!

And, yes, it is absolutely worth the 60 I spent on it, given some of the cookie cutter drivel that demands that sort of spend on every platform, including Switch.

Well coincidentally the greatest ever version of Tetris has just launched on Switch

It's €30 currently

Pfff tetris achieved perfection in 1989 on gameboy

in fairness effect sounds excellent but I wouldn’t pay 30 for tetris

there are many single-player modes as well as innovative online and local co-op and vs modes

amazing visuals and music also

many more hours of entertainment that Dread really for €30 (price goes up in a couple of weeks)

Dread looks excellent for sure but it is not super-long at 12 hours or so

Something like Hollow Knight is amazing value - hundreds of hours if you want it.

yes because it’s cheaper to develop than say, Far Cry or Demon’s Souls. Indie devs with a lot less money and resources produce similar stuff and don’t charge €60 for it.

A simple €5 game made by a solo dev on your phone might be a far better, more enjoyable game than the latest big budget €70 title on a console, but that doesn’t mean I’d consider €70 to have been a fair price for the phone game, no matter how good a game it is.

Tbh I’d except Effects to be heavily discounted in a sale eventually, so it’s the sort of thing I’d pick up then (unlike Dread, which will probably never be less than 46 so I might as well get it for that.)

hollow knight was great

Tetris Effect has never been highly discounted on Playstation over 3 years so for sure it won't on switch I would say

• Advertisement

I just read you can’t fully turn off all the flashy effects if you just want to focus on your high score, which means it’s probably not the definitive version of tetris for me

“Despite what you change, some stage effects will still bleed on top of your gameplay.”

"I wouldn't pay 60 for the best reviewed version of Tetris"

"Actually I wouldn't pay 30 for the best version of Tetris"

"Something else is wrong with it too"

😂

Well yeah, I will mostly just want to play standard single player endless Tetris without distracting effects that obscure the play area, so if a €30 version of tetris with all these bells and whistles can’t deliver that…

hello to all the metroid fans enjoying this riveting tetris debate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's most rivetting is this shock or debate as to Nintendo games costing what they do. Whilst there are questions to be had about their consistent lack of scaling on their own range, it's arguably not here, or a debate with any degree of likely answer. Nintendo do as they please, they always will, and a consistent thing their pricy games have in their favour is the invariable polish and quality they bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd argue that the amount of planning and iterating required for the level of detail, overlap and deliberate allowances for sequence breaking required in a Metroid game means that they're most likely just as expensive to create and produce as a Far Cry or Dark Souls. Especially with the level of polish on display in Dread.

The outdoor environments in a Far Cry for example are most likely just built on top of/around randomly generated terrain, and indoor areas are as basic as they come.

Well it's better value than the Skyward Sword reissue (especially considering the extra kick-in-the teeth of the Loftwing Amibo).

Playing Samus Returns to scratch that Metroid itch. Never got far the last time I played. Going to finish the main game this time before Metroid Dread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And so the cycle continues...

1) Switch games are too expensive and expensive Switch games are sh1te

2) Here's an example great cheap Switch games.

3) But I want AAA games, on the Switch, and cheap.

4) Here's a selection of cheap AAA games for the Switch....

5) Now I want AAA games on the Switch... made by Nintendo, and cheap, they are never on sale!!

6) Here's the latest Switch sale, look at the 1st party games discounted...

7) I hate this forum full of haters that won't let me hate...

And so on...

Advertisement