Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Hospitals are going to be bursting at the seams with or without Covid. The GPs will need to step up in terms of care that doesn't require A+E and people need to go to the GP first, too many Medical Card holders go straight to A+E.

Its not a culture I support but if people want a (near) guaranteed bed and better, prompt care, you need to go private. The government need to consider hiring private hospitals again as well before they reach for the easy Lockdown option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

We're two weeks from reopening and people are already talking about a lockdown. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 38,293 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Covid doesn't do plans and is unpredictable etc etc

Lockdowns have really become a thing in society that does more bad then good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lockdown as a state of mind is a legacy of COVID!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't worry, we have been assured by the experts on Boards.ie that this will absolutely not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Another lockdown won't be tollerated by the public, we just about tollerated the last one, I can't even see them delaying the 22nd for the same reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There is no 100% gaurantee with vaccination of all the other diseases on the US immigration list either, so they most likely looked at the number of infections and deaths in the US from Covid and thought it a sensible addition.

You can disagree with the immigration policy of many countries, even for social or political reasons, but at the end of the day it is your choice if you wish to go live and work there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Folks, a friend of mine was out for dinner last week in a restaurant that happily seated a group of 10 others at the one table. Who was in the same restaurant at the same time? Tony Holohan. Was he sitting at a big table with more than 6 people? You bet ya!

It's all a sham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Been here for 7 years and never been asked for proof of vaccines yet. My child hasn't even been asked in order to attend school (don't worry, shes had all of her standard shots because I'm not actually an anti vaxxer) The flu shot is most comparable to this one, and that has never been required for immigration. I'll participate in the useless health theater because I don't have a choice but it's not preventing covid from coming into the US.

That I do believe is a thing but perhaps not as prevalent as some suggest or imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not sure from that if you are there illegally or not as you would have have to complied with all the other vaccination requrement 7 years ago to be there legally, but then it`s none of my business what your statis is.

For myself if I was thinking of moving there I would give more consideration to many other areas before a vaccine shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, not here illegally. There were previously no medical or vaccine requirements for visas, at least not ours, only green cards. This time though we will need this vaccine to be able to re enter the country after our renewal, and we are applying for green cards anyway so either way will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

’If’ the hospitals struggle? 😂

I haven’t seen it widely reported, but 4 A&E nurses in UCHG resigned last week in protest over the conditions there - somewhat ironically it was the non-covid section, which was moved when they gave over the main area to covid. Patients have been sitting on skirting boards because there aren’t enough chairs.

Billions frittered away and this is what we’re left with, no-one counting the lives lost as a result.

https://connachttribune.ie/nurses-quit-over-safety-fears-at-ed-609/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hospitals ARE bursting at the seams.

I had the absolute misfortune of spending an afternoon in Beaumont A&E this week.

I got lucky.. I mean, lotto win lucky, I was in and out in 2 hours.Everyone around me had been there for 6 hours minimum wait already.The only reason I was there was because I could not get a same or next day appointment with my GP to look an ear problem, DDoc prescribed for me but it wasn't enough, and by the time I actually got into my own GP, the problem was pretty bad.Rang Eye and Ear but they only do appointments in their A&E since covid, not walk-ins, and they don't do same day ones.So they suggested Beaumont A&E.

Don't get me wrong, I am beyond grateful I got seen, but god I felt like a complete idiot sitting in Beaumont A&E taking up time and space for an ear problem.Surrounded by mainly elderly people who clearly also had nowhere else to go to get seen.

The system is so far beyond broken, it is disgraceful that we just accept sitting in an A&E for 7 or 8 hours minimum just to get seen as acceptable or normal.

A child I know split his head on a corner yesterday evening, spent 7 hours on the floor in Temple St A&E waiting room, waiting for stitches.No seats,it was overflowing.What is wrong with us?

Part of it is because some people who go to A&E really shouldn't be there in the first place. They either have nowhere to go or they treat A&E as their GP. You know that people are seen in terms of urgency and that unfortunate child would not be that urgent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be fair, I shouldn't have been there.By that point I had exhausted 3 different doctors in order to just fet a prescription,only one of which had been actually able to see me, and I should have been in the Eye and Ear with severe ear pain.It had been going on for 10 days at that point and had escalated suddenly.The point is that the system is so overloaded and broken that people have nowhere else to go, despite all the momey pumped in

Yeah, the holes in the system start before you even get to hospital. We really don't have any proper primary care and James Reilly, whatever issues people might have had with him, did actually get the ball rolling on these things.  Yes it is money but it's also organization as well. The HSE barely got to reorganizing the hospitals into regional groups before we got hit with COVID. So next year we need to see some movement on all of this. 

• Advertisement

I know someone stuck in a major Dublin hospital for the last month.

The family have no contact with her as covid is in the ward so no visiting,they cant contact her by phone as she doesnt have a phone with her.She cant leave the ward duue to covid so cant do the necessary exercise and physio she needs and she has now been discharged by the Occupational therapy team.

Seemingly most of the Rehab places are closed due to covid so she cant be discharged and there is zero help in the community.

Beaumont has always been horrendous, full of elderly people waiting to be seen and those waiting for beds stuck on trolleys. A huge number of patients taking up beds there should be in nursing homes or in respite beds in the community, the respite beds are full too because there isnt enough home help and some families dont want to pay nursing home fees or for home care packages for their elderly relatives so they leave them in hospitals.There doesnt seem to be any consequences to them doing this and in fact some families acutually get transitional payments, ie the first six weeks of nursing home care free when Granny is actually transferred to a nursing home.

And now we have a proposal that the Head of the Department of health and the head of the HSE share the chairmanship of a group set up to reform the health service.

How bizarre is this, if either organisation was effective we wouldnt need to be reforming it, surely we need someone from a health service that actually works to advise us.

And now some GPS have seemingly stuck up a notice saying one ailment, one payment on their walls, imagine bringing your car to a mechanic and asking him to look at your lights and tyres and he says, no can do, its lights only today and you pay me for that, if you want me to look at the tyres hand over your credit card again.!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Stopped reading when you said they can't contact her as she doesn't have a phone with her, not difficult to get a phone to someone.

Could be the case that she doesnt have a mobile phone,some people are just eccentric and just dont have mobile phones.

Also could mobile phones interfere with equipment,maybe they are banned.

The main point is family have no contact, havent been able to visit, their relative isnt allowed out of the ward and no one allowed in.

She could be there for months and will deteriorate due to lack of exercise,there is nowhere for her to and no rehab available, it would be better for her and everyone else if she had died.

And then the main point for you is that she doesnt have a mobile phone.

Well it happened to my 96 year old grandmother pre-covid...stuck in a hospital after a fall for 8 weeks, because they wouldn't discharge her to her home until necessary works were done.She wasn't sick, other than the damage done by the fall, but (much as I loved her) she did unnecessarily occupy a hospital bed for 8 weeks because she wasn't allowed home and they couldn't find an interim spot for her and it took about 8 weeks to get the work sorted (and my family were lucky, they had the resources and means to get the work done to her house).What choice did we have?How many are there like her?

And there are a couple of doctors around here that do that - one ailment, ten minute slots only.Well known for it and been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why is any of this surprising? The so called chief medical officer and his little patsies made it very very clear for the past 18 months that this is a singe issue island, if it isn't covid than absolutely nothing else matters.

The Irish accepted this and bought into it fully, so no point complaining now that pretty much every other part of life is significantly worse off than it ever was. Ireland made its covid bed, now it can lay in it.

The main reason for Lockdowns is to get the hospitals in order, so what was done here then to fix that issue ? Easier to blame the public and saying there not playing there part and not social distancing etc

Real danger lockdown will be our only option cause of this and it will be horrible. I know its a cliché but no way can i handle another big lockdown and others are the same

How do you imagine they might have found the time and the plan, while battling COVID and simultaneously dealing with the system wide hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

A good friend yes. A very trustworthy one. I don't care if you don't believe it. Keep your head in the sand for all I care.

Numbers going back up

Just in time for the big review in the next week, 22nd Oct will quickly become 22nd Nov and so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

With 90% of the population vaccinated why are we still even threatened by any possible lockdown/restriction?

Advertisement