Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post are the ones that decided to drop the clearance charge from 10.00 to 3.50 before it became clear what the ramifications would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Hold on! WE didn't put the onus on An Post, we don't know who did! In any event, Customs are the barrier that importers must cross to receive their shipments.

How the division of responsibilites is met is between them both. Personally I think it's asinine for An Post to even play a part in making decisions about complex customs rules? how that happened is the question!

Pre-EU there was a simple system that would work today and even more efficiently due to advances in emails and such like.

The documentation was sent by the shipper (nowadays by email) in advance to the importer. The importer then filled out customs forms

(nowadays by email) giving all the details of the shipment including tariff codes (free to look up on the web). If you had everything correct, your shipment was released and if not it was a rejected declaration which triggered a fee and a few days notice of extra fees for storage. That was your incentive to get it right!

I still believe there is a hidden / unknown factor in play.

An Post is handling the Customs declarations which it's making a complete thrash of, and when queried, either ignore the query or give a useless and unhelpful answer after several days to several weeks if answered at all.

Customs, at least in my experience have answered helpfully and promptly, but always end with a comment that implies that their hands are tied.

We need to know by whom and why!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Exactly… i’d be more than happy to provide any missing info (and pay extra, if necessary to get my delivery). Also, this is a record, in what i expect is a very obvious record-shaped parcel, so very obvious what this is, if common sense is applied

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And DPD Parcel Wizard and also parcel motel( I think) stopped doing UK deliveries.

I guess because they couldn't, or didn't want to deal with the clusterf*ck.

An post seem to have got landed with it.

Likewise with all the tat that was Freepost from China.

Didn't seem to be too many complaining about carbon footprint then.

• Advertisement

The package that I sent from my house near Chicago to my home in Ireland has made it's way back. Departed Chicago on September 5th, arrived in Dublin Sept 10, sent to Portlaoise on the 19th. Must have been refused at that point (?). Left Heathrow on 23rd and I've been told it's at my house in the US now. If parcels could talk. $70 i won't get back. A pink return to sender stamp on it.

Who is paying for all these returns?

The poster I was responding to was putting the onus on An Post 'why can't they say what the problem is'

The unknown factor vs pre the EU?

It's the volume of bric a brack being dispatched from all over the planet with one click.

Ok I get ya!

However, the volume of bric a rac is a personal choice. Censoring / Restricting peoples choices, foolish as they may be is a dangerous route!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I doubt the volume has changed recently. what has changed is that all parcels are now liable to vat instead of only those over €26 as previously. Plus the fee that An Post receive for processing customs has been reduced from €10 to €3.50.

And the UK left the EU Single Market.

I posted figures from the UPU earlier showing Ireland gets more parcels than countries ten times out size.

What's the odds that our international parcels are more likely to come from our neighbour outside the EU than say La Poste whose big neighbours are within the EU?

• Advertisement

That's a situation I didn't realise!

I read a lot of people suggesting buying within the EU.

That's all well and good. My own shopping habit is to start with Irish companies and at least try to buy here. Afterall it's our kids and grandkids who

will need these businesses to give them jobs! It can be hard sometimes though!

Having said that the EU is great unless the product you want is specifically British, as it is in my case being an expat Brit looking for the

stuff I used to know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

It seems most returns are happening at the level of electronic scanning. The scanned code does not match the electronic, or Taric is only the previously acceptable six digits, not 10. Maybe the electronic is only six either, but no-one contacts supplier or receiver to say the parcel will fail before its sent. All outside EU post I've received prior to this was handled by an Post. I would get a notification of Vat plus €10 from them, to be paid at the post office where the parcel was held. Sometimes they would send a notice requesting the invoice to prove the cost, as obviously the value on the label is always a lie. Packets with invoice in the plastic sticker bag would not require this. I don't ever recall a correspondence with customs on stuff like this. If only customs got to see my returned packet, they would establish the tax due in a blink, even if the Taric was 6 not 10 digits. I would expect to pay the €10, not €3.50 for this manual assessment, but at least I'd get my delivery. Now it's impossible to order from outside the EU, there seems to be no chance of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Royal Mail putting stickers on stuff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Thats part of the problem - Royal Mail are indicating that a CN22/23 label is sufficient when its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A message on the An Post site 06 Oct. I note the phrase "must be returned". They also say they are working their way through a backlog.

My item has been returned to sender

If your item has been returned to sender or you are awaiting an update on your item, it is likely that the electronic customs declaration made by the retailer/sender for your item may have been insufficient or invalid according to Customs regulations. An Post cannot amend customs declaration so items with incomplete data must be returned. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

One of my orders was sent back to Thailand, if I want it reshipped via DHL it will cost 40 to do so. An Post are wasting their own money, and they are wasting mine too.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

My item which cos me €220 has arrived back to the sender in China after initially arriving in the An Post sorting centre in Portlaoise on August 10th. Does anyone know how the hell to get this to me without it being rejected again? I've been following the thread but totally confused as to how to get it though or maybe I should just pay up and go DHL? Any advice would be very welcomed.

The reps on Twitter flat out refuse to state that something will not be returned after the required VAT charge has been paid because they know there is a problem and they are not admitting it. I have a package waiting to be paid for, but all I am told is that once payment is made, the package will be released for delivery. I've since responded with an example of a tweet from 2 days ago complaining that their package was returned after payment received. This is an absolute joke of a situation.

• Advertisement

There's no certain way to get non EU packets past AnPost. The only alternative is to use door to door couriers, like FedEx, at great cost.

AnPost state this on that previous link;

An Post cannot amend customs declaration so items with incomplete data must be returned

If they can't amend, who can? Surely it's possible to amend something online or by email? They had no problem accepting screen grabs of invoices from ebay when determining value for VAT, it would be trivial to request a change of Taric no. Here's the joke. They have a web tool to convert 6 digit to 10! They could do it automatically. It's insane, electronic data use brings with it the opportunity to interactively amend and correct. AnPost are acting like it's the 18th century, and even back then you would probably get your goods eventually.

I've heard from friends in other EU parts that the way some postal services are doing "faulty" shipments is to email the recipient telling them the reason for holding, giving a time limit to get the correct info and submit it and pay the "wasting our time" fee along with the other charges. You also get a date after which you can't and it goes out for return to sender. I'd happily accept this!

There's the EU update on it from 2019:

New form of customs declaration for low value consignments

Following an amendment to the Union Customs Code Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446, it will be possible from 1 January 2021 to declare goods up to 150 € using a customs declaration that requires 3 times less data than a standard declaration.

Following an amendment to the Union Customs CodeSearch for available translations of the preceding Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446, it will be possible from 1 January 2021 to declare goods up to 150 € using a customs declaration that requires 3 times less data than a standard declaration.

From 1 January 2021 the existing VAT exemption for goods up to 22 € will disappear. In order to allow VAT to be levied, all imports into the EU will have to be declared at the border using an electronic customs declaration.

Considering the enormous volume of low-value consignments imported into the EU, neither declarants nor customs IT systems can handle the production and processing of a standard customs declaration per consignment and in any event a standard customs declaration is not necessary in most of the cases because there is no customs liability for goods of a value below 150€.

Therefore, the Commission has amended the UCC Delegated Regulation to provide for a lower, more manageable but still adequate level of data (a “super-reduced data set”) in customs declarations on imports of low-value consignments (those below the threshold for application of customs duties of 150€). This legislation should mitigate, for both customs and traders, the impact of the sharp increase in the number of customs declarations.

This is an important step forward and allows Member States and economic operators to go ahead with their IT developments.

The amending Delegated Regulation, entering into force on 25 July 2019, can be found hereSearch for available translations of the preceding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finally got a reply on Twitter from these muppets for a padded envelope sent from the UK nearly 30 days ago now, Christmas this year is going to be an absolute disaster:

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Track/History?item=RN802132730GB

Hi XXX, thanks for getting in touch.

As of the 1st January 2021, All goods items coming Into Ireland from Non EU countries irrespective of cost are required to have electronic data sent to An Post to enable the goods to be assessed and apply VAT charges where applicable.

Please refer to the sender to arrange for the item to be re-issued with the correct customs information, once it arrives back in the country of origin. Please find more info here http://anpost.com/Customs.

I am sorry I cannot offer you a more favourable reply today.

-Megan

-But this is documents not a package? Are you returning all letters that are coming into the country aswell? Do not send that envelope back I need it.

Hi XXXX

Checking the tracking on the item, it appears to be in a clearance delay This delay would be due to the volume of items that have been received over the last few weeks. if this is a document (letter/ A4 envelope) this should be fine

I apologise at the moment I am unable to advise on a delivery timeframe , however all tracking will update and reflect when this is out for delivery.

-Chris

I've since had a response

Hi Deck, thank you for your response. according to the customs system, it has since been update that it contains failed electronic data, meaning it will begin the process of being returned to sender. I sincerely apologise for providing conflicting information, the customs status of this item has only updated after my previous DM and will completely understand the frustration of this. So I would advise that you do not pay the customs charge attached, and to contact the sender of this item to organise a reissue of this item or a refund. Apologies again.

-Megan

I received the payment notice a week ago, and after several messages confirming the item wouldnt be returned I get this (as I expected).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's unfortunate. Have one parcel that has taken a week to get from the penultimate step to leaving the UK. Know it's come up as being sorted by An Post. Guess I will see what happens next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DevFirst

Welp, the parcel I ordered in August from Japan finally arrived back in Japan yesterday. An Post never contacted me or attempted delivery at any point. It got to Portloaise, the last stop before it gets delivered to me the next day, but instead was in Heathrow the next day on it's way back to Japan.

Japanese company is refusing to refund the €30 I paid for shipping, they said An Post put a "unclaimed" sticker on the parcel, meaning "the shipment remained unclaimed by me past its retention period" which it didn't. An Post no help, giving me the same stock answer as everyone else, claiming sender sent with parcel with "missing electronic data".

I'm ab-so-****ing-lutely FUMING.

DHL often use AnPost for the last leg of the journey into ireland, with the packets custom cleared inbound in Germany. The problem is AnPost are rejecting these also, and worse, your packet is returned to Germany, not your original source, so there's little chance of you or your supplier ever seeing it again. I read this in an article on DHL's giant forwarding centre, it said mail returned to the DHL warehouse went into a 'black hole'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

My package shows a similar state to yours, almost down to the dates and times. Here's hoping they make it through 🙄

• Advertisement

They must have run out of the other type of sticker, sure they don't give a flying f***. I think we need to clog up the small claims court. AnPost cannot ignore a finding made there, and they'll need an army of people to turn up in person if enough claims went in. It'd be worth the €25 fee.

Advertisement