Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Varadkar hits the right note for Landlords

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Here is what is happening to GP services in rural areas. Small towns are being stripped of services. You live in a small village so you try to convince yourself you have everything. I know people living not far from Strokestown. They regularly travel 26 miles for a hird-do. A 52 mile round trip. People want to rent in small villages because there is not suitable rental accommodation available in the towns. They don't want to buy and leave themselves stranded.

https://tippfm.com/news/healthhttps://tippfm.com/news/health/templemore-gp-issues-raised-dail/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is women for you, I now a few in our area that go to the. Ity to get there done even thought I. My locate village there is 4-5 hairdressers operating two beautician and there is a barber as well. TBH you have not got a clue

Slava Ukrainii

You can't understand why people don't want to buy in a village. To me it is obvious. people do not want to commute and have to travel long distances for goods and services. Fuel prices have risen massively in the past year with further hikes threatened for diesel. Who wants to commit themselves to motoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Some people dont want to buy in a village.

Some people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rightmove

Have a guess who the target example is.

Also I note the discussion here about the LL selling up. RTB/threshold etc are selling a service and they are warping the relationship between LL and tenant. Threshold should be renamed to overhold and perhaps RTB can stand for Right of Tenants Board.

I do not think I ever said that. I just a analysised the price of the houses in Strokestown and you or another poster said noone would want to live in Strokestown and went on an incorrect rant about lack of amenities and services in towns and villages like Strokestown. As I pointed out every one of you assumptions were incorrect. Just like you last one about cost of car transport. When you factor in the massive saving in buying in a town or village compared to living in rented accommodation in a larger urban setting, there is only one winner if you have the option

As I said earlier in this thread, that house is 100 k+ under build cost and will I crease in value by 50+% over the next 5ish years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If there was only one winner, villages wouldn't be struggling and cities bursting at the seems. The prices reflect that reality.

But if you can escape the rat race, you'd be mad not to.

I didn't say nobody would want to live there. I said nobody would want to buy therE, which is in fact the case. People are prepared to rent, nobody is making an offer. Running a vehicle is an ongoing expense compared to paying for a house. The savings will disappear rapidly. Many people in the cities live without cars at all and some Morley run a very basic small car. Living in a remote village means running a good reliable car with consequent expense. The market agrees with me, not you for all your talk about the advantages of small villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Must me some hairdo if they had to travel that far with 4 or 5 hairdressers in Strokestown.

I don't get the stranded thing, now if I was living in a city paying 2k a month on rent and nothing suitable or affordable to buy I would be looking at buying something in some town or village around the country and having a mortgage for less than half the rent you would be paying, I would give it a few years to let the market settle down and then decide whether country living is for you, while it works for some, others never get used to it.

Now, what do you do with the house you bought, well the way I look at it is if you can buy a house for less than half the price it cost to build you will never go wrong, So you can sell up with a tidy profit or maybe keep it for a rental. at least you have something after a few years instead of throwing 24k a year down the drain. but as usual, I'm going to be told I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hontou

You do know what you are talking about. It is a reasonable rule of thumb that I follow too: If it can be bought for less than it costs to build then you should be ok. (all other things being equal such as ok neighbours, stable enough interest rates and inflation)

• Advertisement

Watching last Thursday weeks cheap Irish homes. There was a three story townhouse in Gorey for 150k. Decor was a bit dated but house was in vgc it was the house that the lady looking for a house choose as the one she would follow up.

Assuming you had a deposit of 30k your repayments would be 600/ month. Looking at daft around Gorey there is a mixture of two and three bed houses for 2-300k. A 25 year 250k mortgage would cost about 1100/ month. There is options out there it's a matter of seeing if it is practical in one's circumstances

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yes disgraceful behaviour. We all pay for this lawlessness in higher interest rates. International banks don't want to do business in Ireland for residential mortgages.

I would think this is typical of may towns of similar size in rural counties. Bit by bit, the services go, the footfsll drops and new business cannot be attracted.

Gorey is not an isolated town. Its growing town, a reasonable commute to Dublin and in range of all the holiday traffic on the sunny south east. It's long been a place people move out of Dublin to.

This is not true of many other rural locations. No matter how you talk it up.

That is where you are wrong. Around large urban centers there is many of these towns that are commutable with working from home.

Slava Ukrainii

Of course there are towns like Gorey with similar characteristics. But a few of you are talking up towns (and counties) with none of these characteristics.

Sure you can make it work. But it's not for everyone.

Advertisement