Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Burner not firing

• 08-10-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Burner: Riello 40 B10

Oil tank has plenty of oil (it never ran out)

It was serviced back in June/July , plumber had to come back as it was not working after service , he said it was an airlock, was last used and working in July

I tired to fire it up last week , nothing

I tired the reset button on the front (red button) , nothing

I am confused where the bleed valve is , everything I come across online has a long protruding pipe with an allen key head

I presume first thing to do is check if its airlocked, maybe it was not bleed correctly ?

Nothing to my knowledge was adjusted since it last worked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is the pump kicking in and then just not firing or what?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If its not making any sound its not an air lock that you first need to fix.

Has the high limit stat tripped. Its beneath that little cap beside the boiler thermostat.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭clodola

Pressing the red button or turning on the heating , nothing , no pump sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

It's the bottom bolt on the left hand side.

As said above, Hi limit may have tripped beside the thermostat. Stating the obvious I know, but is the power definitely switched on in the hot press?

As above check the stat. But also could be electrical issue. If the boiler has a plug socket could be fuse. If it's wired to fused spur could be fuse. Could also be the heating control not sending power to activate.

• Advertisement

I presume the thermostat is the big blue box on top, Little cap , as in the the center of the unit? appears to be a blanking cap (yellow high light)

Nearly sure this had a reading i.e 60 on it , appears to be at low end of the scale

Worth checking with a multimeter if power is going to the burner ?, it has a black control box , few junction boxes on the wall , everything is working in the boiler room

This is in the garage outside (boiler room) , all the oil burners are in there ; no idea why they have two in this house , the big blue one and another smaller for the main house (is working fine), the control box for the septic tank is in there , working fine

I have never seen so many pumps , property must have at least 5-6 pumps I have seen , at least 3 in the house , 3-4 in the boiler room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Flexible oil line also needs renewing.

If there's no power to the burner it's being cut by the thermo or the supply to the thermo. Should check the burner supply for power.

Plumber was reluctant to do it at service as I had 300 litres of oil in the tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

would be more important to change that hose than service burner

Got it working, as mentioned the high limit stat tripped

What causes it to trip?

Will try get another plumber, 2nd plumber I had out, replaced an expansion vessel, 272 euro fir 10 to 15mins work and I had to supply the parts, he never braced it, so I had to redo, feckin thing was leaking at more than 1 point (obviously the previous plumbers fault, who touch it a few years back) , I was left without water as he forgot to turn on a valve, when I asked if he checked the psi on the expansion vessel, he got annoyed, he just slapped it up

1st plumber was back n forth to the house 6 times, kept telling me its working, when I tried, heatimg, hot water, nothing... No idea why lads don't verify everything is working before they leave, no leaks.. It takes them more time and frustration on both sides, do it once, do it right

Really is difficult to get a person to do it correctly, I have to spend my time on forums, YouTube tutorials, reading manuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

temp set too high on run stat

low in water/ system pressure

failed or gammy circulating pump

airlock

running with a dual system without non return valves

Thanks Jim

Advertisement