Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ray Jo Hed. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who needs Culture and Tradition, eh!!!

They must have been a bit up themselves if they wanted to charget 2.5 times as much as Suicide, Joy Division and the future vaccine deniers

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

is it really punk if it has a guitar solo?

For some reason it reminds me of this, what a bunch of prats 🤪

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

’Spice Girls At The BBC’ on BBC2 right now.

Can’t say I’ve ever owned a Spicey record, but you have to admit they did bring out some great pop music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Aaaahhh great to see later back. The one constant in this orgy of chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Still better'n Coldplay, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Can't say I listened to it for more than twenty seconds initially. It's more "We're not a punk rock band we're a new wave band" as the Dead Kennedy's would've said. I give yew too a break on the strength of some of the early songs, Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Again, not sure where to put this. I think this will be appreciated in this thread! The whole set has been re-upped in higher quality.

Shame they never broke big. They're immense live then there's the drummer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

How do? This week sees Geldof, Grohl and Garfunkel (and Simon) on your televisions. Also a last chance to see TOTP before a messy reboot ...

Thursday

Nothing much

Friday

6.50pm Cbeebies Bedtime Stories - Dave Grohl (CBeebies)

Dave Grohl reads Octopus's Garden by Ringo Starr, a story based on Octopus's Garden. He's flogging a book and is making Nile Rodgers look reclusive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/cbeebies-dave-grohl-bedtime-story

7pm Dolly Parton - Song By Song (Sky Arts)

9 To 5 and Travellin Thru

7pm & 12.10am Irish Rock At The BBC (BBC4)

If this is on it must be St Patricks Day! No, It's Bob Geldof's birthday. Or it was last week when he was on the LLS

A compilation of Irish rock performances from the early 1970s onwards, with acts including Thin Lizzy, Ash, the Undertones, Stiff Little Fingers, U2, Sinead O'Connor, the Pogues, Imelda May, The Strypes, Hozier and the Divine Comedy.

8pm Classic Albums: Frank Zappa - Freak Out! (Sky Arts)

8pm & 1.10am Top Of The Pops 1991 - September 19 (BBC4)

Nicky Campbell presents the pop chart programme, first broadcast on 19 September 1991. Featuring live performances by Brothers in Rhythm, Utah Saints, Oceanic and Simply Red and video appearances by Salt-N-Pepa, Prince, Bryan Adams, Erasure, Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Julian Lennon

8.30pm & 1.40am Top Of The Pops 1991 - September 26 (BBC4)

Gary Davies presents the edition, first broadcast on 26 September 1991. Featuring live performances by Hannah and Her Sisters, Rozalla, Bizarre Inc and Sabrina Johnston and appearances on video by the Scorpions, REM, Tina Turner, Marc Almond, Bryan Adams and Bros

9pm & 2.10am Citizens Of Boomtown - The Story Of The Boomtown Rats (BBC4)

Documentary telling the story of the Irish band led by Bob Geldof, who scored hits in the late 1970s and early 80s with the likes of Rat Trap and I Don't Like Mondays, before disbanding a year after Geldof's hugely successful Live Aid event in 1985. The group reformed in 2013 and released their seventh studio album in March 2020

9pm California Dreamin' - The Songs Of The Mamas And The Papas (Sky Arts)

10.15pm Steve Miller Band - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

10.30pm In Concert - Boomtown Rats (1984) (BBC4)

DJ Pete Drummond introduces a classic concert by Bob Geldof's band from the Goldiggers, then a popular nightclub and concert venue in Chippenham, Wiltshire

11.15pm Janine And The 12 Stradivari (Sky Arts)

Superstar violinist Janine Jansen embarks on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to record a new album on 12 of the greatest Stradivari violins on the planet. As Tommy Cooper said "“I inherited a painting and a violin which turned out to be a Rembrandt and a Stradivarius ...

SPOILER WARNING

Unfortunately, Rembrandt made lousy violins and Stradivarius was a terrible painter.”

11.30pm Old Grey Whistle Test - Dr Hook In Concert (1975) (BBC4)

Bob Harris introduces a concert special featuring American rock band Dr Hook, from the BBC Television Theatre in Shepherd's Bush, west London. First broadcast on November 25 1975

11.35pm Se Mo Laoch - Seamus Fay (TG4)

The life and career of Séamus Fay, 'the Cavan Lilter' from Drumconnick, Cavan Town. His remarkable talent was recognised when he was crowned all-Ireland lilting champion in 1959, 1960, 1961 and 1969. Should you be wondering who took his crown in the intervening years have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All-Ireland_Fleadh_champions#Lilting_(Portaireacht)

12.20am Sam Smith and Anderson East - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

1.20am Other Voices (RTE2)

Featuring a performance from the legendary contemporary folk musician Damian Dempsey, and critically lauded indie pop musician Ailbhe Reddy. Plus, the duo comprising traditional singer and musician Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and guitarist Gerry O'Beirn take to the stage, as well as music from singer-songwriter Conchúr White

Saturday

6.45pm Bee Gees Live In Melbourne 1989 (Sky Arts)

8.55pm Imagine: Simon And Garfunkel - The Harmony Game (BBC2)

The story of Simon and Garfunkel's 1970 album Bridge Over Troubled Water, made during a particularly creative period in the duo's career, but which turned out to be their final studio LP. The film covers all aspects of the record's creation, from technical breakthroughs to the emotional feelings the artists had for each other, and features recent interviews with Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel and their collaborators, including manager Mort Lewis and drummer Hal Blaine. From 2011

9pm Poly Styrene - I Am A Cliche (Sky Arts)

Celeste Bell embarks on a journey across three continents to explore the legacy of her mother - X-Ray Spex founder member Poly Styrene

9.35pm Flim Taking Woodstock (TG4)

An interior designer returns to his parents' home in 1969 to help them run their struggling motel. When he hears of a nearby music festival having difficulties, he offers his support hoping to drum up some business - but ends up playing a vital role in organising Woodstock. Fact-based comedy, with Demetri Martin, Imelda Staunton, Henry Goodman and Eugene Levy. "One of the most underrated movies of all time... I really loved this movie and I am no hippie." says one random review although most feedback is less enthusiastic

10.05pm-1.05am Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)

10.10pm Later ... With Jools Holland (BBC2)

The Foo Fighters frontman and former Nirvana drummer shares stories with Jools ahead of the release of his memoir. Dave also chooses some of his favourite moments from the Later archives, including kd lang, Radiohead and Portuguese fado singer Mariza. Plus, performances by LA-based singer Lady Blackbird and British group Jungle

10.20pm Soundtrack To My Life (RTE1)

The RTÉ Concert Orchestra plays a selection of cracking hits and familiar floor-fillers. With Kodaline and some very special guests, including Jack L, Loah and others. Presented by Nicky Byrne

10.55pm Simon And Garfunkel - Concert In Central Park (BBC2)

The duo's 1981 reunion concert in New York City, performing favourites including The Sound of Silence, The Boxer, Mrs Robinson, Homeward Bound and Bridge Over Troubled Water, as well as songs from Simon's solo career

11pm Classic Albums: Soul II Soul - Club Classics Volume 1 (Sky Arts)

Midnight The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)

Ep 1 of 4 of the often repeated drumming series

Sunday

6.30pm David Brophy's Frontline Choir (RTE1)

The conductor assembles a choir made up of healthcare workers who risked their lives working tirelessly throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. Over the course of their musical journey the choir will produce a music video in memory of their fallen colleagues featuring the U2 song Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own, and will also perform at an emotional concert for their loved ones

7pm Ray Charles Live In Montreux 1997 (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Chuck Berry - Brown Eyed Handsome Man (Sky Arts)

A collection of performances of songs by the rock 'n' roll pioneer, featuring covers by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and Jimi Hendrix

9pm Tom Parker - Inside My Head (Channel 4)

The singer and former member of boy band The Wanted allows cameras into his home as he and his family learn to live with a stage four cancer diagnosis and arrange a star-studded charity concert at the Royal Albert Hall to raise awareness about brain tumours. He has just months to get the show on the road, and reunite his old band for the first time in seven years, all while undergoing draining cycles of chemotherapy

9pm Hitsville - The Making Of Motown (Sky Documentaries)

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch -Aine Ui Cheallagh (TG4)

9.40pm Deep Purple - From Here To Infinity (Sky Arts)

10pm Geantrai (TG4)

A programme, first aired in 2004, from Hanleys Pub in Knocknaderry, Co Limerick. With the Dunne family, Mickey, Bríd and Niamh, and Derek Hickey. Hosted by Breanndán Ó Beaglaioch

10.30pm The Ryan McMullan Story (BBC1 NI)

Documentary charting the singer-songwriter's journey over the course of five years as he plots his route to music stardom, centred on a four-day recording and listening session in Cruit Island, Co Donegal, at the end of 2019

11pm Isle Of Wight Greatest Hits - David Bowie And Rod Stewart (Sky Arts)

11.05pm Searching For Sugar Man (TG4)

Documentary following two fans in search of their musical idol. American singer Sixto Rodriguez enjoyed a brief recording career in the 1970s before fading into obscurity. However, his politically conscious music became incredibly popular in South Africa. Bizarre stories of his death had circulated over the years, but two devotees plan to find out what really became of him. This has been on Sky Arts a lot, I think it is new to TG4

Midnight Rock and Roll (Sky Arts)

Ep 1 of a repeat of the 10 part Doc series https://www.pulsefilms.com/work/item/rock-and-roll

1.30am Classic Artists - Rock Poet (Sky Arts)

Documentary giving an insight into Jim Morrison, the frontman of the Doors, featuring contributions by Oliver Stone, Danny Sugerman, Duke Special and David Crosby

And that's more or less that, here's a recent interview with Shaun Ryder where he discusses his recent chats with Aliens

Ahead of U2's 1987 Croke Park gig here's a quick report on who made money for Aiken Promotions that year (Everyone except Duran Duran)

Finally, the Best appearance by A Marching Band In A St Patricks Day Parade While Dr Richard Kimble Tries To Blend Seamlessly By Wearing A Carrolls Gifts Shop Hat of the week might be this one from The Fugitive (RTE2 Friday 10pm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Simon & Garfunkel yoke looks good to me.

Ray Charles at Montreaux should be deadly. Did you know in between Ros Na Run, Hector and lots of GAA and peculiar yet appealing gardening programmes, the TG4 player has BB King in Montreaux right there on the homepage sort of yokey?

Also, I'll be watching The Fugitive instead of the Late Late today. I just can't take it anymore.

The Frank and Walters on BBC FOUR!

CARK!!

Now that Covid is on the retreat I hope to fulfil my dream of taking a trip on this magical National Express service at last

FLOPTOPSCHE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

That was quite a good smorgasbord, without many of the usual national suspects, even (unless they were on while I was out of the room for ~10min mid-way)

:)

So who’s number one this week, pop-pickers!

PLAY PRINCE AND THE NPG!!

CREAM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Advertisement

Oh well, that’s the last we will hear from Bryan tonight :)

Mick Hucknell, the least popular turn ever on Alan Partridge. Even less popular than Forbes McAllister RIP

That Neds video was truly terrible.

Where were Melanie and Martina?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This mask wearing will never catch on...

People wearing Covid masks in the Julian Lennon video.

At least that wouldn’t happen in real…

Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nothing remotely Beatlesesque about that one Jules.

End of an era.

BBC4 should fast forward past the next 3 years

Nobody would weep for that TOTP era, it was unwatchable.

• Advertisement

Cigarette lighters out, boardsies!

*swaying*

Advertisement