Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Was the same old last night to some degree, Zebre just fanned out and defended, we then struggled with go forward ball! a win but far from pleasant to watch!

Rea Snr is lucky we don’t have any other serious options! Still think I’d like to see McCann at blindside with a ball carrying 8.

Stewart isn’t a crash ball 12 and shouldn’t be used like that!

Good to see another storming run by Reid!

Next week will be a step up again, we’re lucky how the season draw has started! A few of the South African teams would just steam roll us!

• Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our tactics are nonsense, we try to go wide way too fast and that's why Zebre could just fan out.

Our tries came from a few moments of individual brilliance and/or defensive errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stewart Moore is a good young player, but the reality is that because we don't have huge ball carriers in the pack we need Stuart McCloskey in the team.

With Henderson, Vermeulen and McCloskey in our team and throw in the class of Hume and Addison (if he stays fit) then I think we'll be a very good side. Still short of Leinster and possibly Munster. But we'll have a team capable of reaching the URC final and making the Champions Cup knockouts.

Also if we can get Callum Reid's scrummaging up to scratch then we will have another quality carrier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster Rugby has no new injury concerns arising out of Saturday’s game against Zebre.

Stuart McCloskey (hamstring) and Jordi Murphy sustained recent injuries in training and are currently unfit for selection.

Jacob Stockdale (ankle) and Rob Lyttle (back) also sustained recent training ground injuries and will have their fitness for selection monitored through the coming week.

Also, currently unavailable for selection due to injury are: Cormac Izuchukwu (knee), Luke Marshall (knee), Jack McGrath (hip), Iain Henderson (thumb), Kieran Treadwell (shoulder), John Cooney (hamstring) and Rob Baloucoune (groin).

We're going to lose at home to Benetton this week. Only possible returnees are Stockdale and Lyttle.

I think we'll be OK.

Would like to see Timoney at 6 with Reidy and McCann at 7 and 8. Thinking ahead to Europe and the big Inter Pros and bigger URC games, I'd want Timoney, Murphy and Vermuelen as our starting back row with Reidy on the bench, so giving Timoney a run at 6 would be useful. It also means another game for McCann who is beginning to become more influential.

I'd also start Lowry at 10.

Other than that I'd keep the team more or less the same as it was last week. I'd maybe consider trying Reid from the start as well. Stick him in alongside Herring and Moore.

• Advertisement

Agree with all of that. I think Burns has sometimes gotten short shrift from fans in previous seasons, but as OH, he really should have pushed the team on and been a powerful influence against Zebre, and he was too quiet. He's also clearly carrying a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭ljsulster

A good weekend of action for the youngsters in the AIL. Aaron sexton with a score for malone, Harry Sheridan put in a shift for trinity and James mccormick scored a hat trick for Ballymena in their defeat to queens who had James humphreys and Conor McKee pulling the strings at half back

Ulster team to play Benetton Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 3, Friday 8 October at Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm kick-off:

(15-9) Will Addison, Craig Gilroy, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Matty Rea, Nick Timoney, David McCann.

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Callum Reid, Ross Kane, Mick Kearney, Sean Reidy, David Shanahan, Mike Lowry, Ben Moxham.

More or less as you were. Wonder what happened to EOS. No-one back from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Missing Marty Moore too. Atm would have him slightly ahead of O'Toole, who is also v good.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's been awol since his arrival! Seems like a waste of 💰

its looking that way, when he can’t get a game against Zebre or Treviso

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Treviso are a more than decent side and I would be surprised if they don't give Ulster a tough game tonight. I would put them in a different category to Zebre altogether.

Agreed. Given how many we're missing, I'm pretty concerned.

I think we'll win.

The BBC show last night had a really good interview with Ian McKinlay.

That programme is a good watch.

Has Garbisi left Benetton or is he injured or rested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Thought the backrow was the main positive to take from that. McCann looked busy and ready for more games this year, Rea had one of his better games and Timoney continued his form at the breakdown.

O'Toole and Reid mostly held up in the scrum until later on, but Reid managed to win a good penalty at the end there.

Though Doak had a mixed bag this time round, felt his passing wasn't always accurate and was maybe guilty of forcing things at times.

Moore wasn't great again, keeps falling off tackles too easy even though he isn't shy about the initial contact.

I don't know what the crack is any more with Benetton. Are they any good or not?

But I know I'm happy with that result. Missing fourteen players, I'll take five points any day.

Timoney has to be part of our first choice backrow. Reid and O'Toole are finding their feet in the scrum. Kearney brings more to the table than Carter does. Addison has such class - we just need to get him match fit. When was the last time he took to the pitch three games in a row?

Will have to watch the TV coverage,but from the ground, Doak looked very, very good indeed. For a teenager, his box kicking is exemplary. The Italians were always under pressure fielding the ball. There were a number of knock-ons from them, a couple we regathered - they never had a straightforward catch to make. Last week I would have given Hume MotM, but I thought Doak absolutely deserved it tonight. It would have been easy for him to go into his she'll after his knock-on, but he took it in his stride.

• Advertisement

Yeah, well I thought Doak had a mixed first 20 mins, but after that he showed his class. He isnt the finished article, but this guy is 19. You have to remember that. The kid is special. He plays like a 50 capped international.

But actually the player who pleased me most was David McCann. He is getting there with every game he plays. Some really effective carries and some great defensive work.

I'm also a big fan of Ethan McIlroys. He just looks really composed.

Those three are serious talents.

15 points from 3 games with McGrath, Moore, Henderson, Treadwell, Murphy, Vermuelen, Cooney, McCloskey, Baloucoune and Stockdale to come back. Granted a few of then have had bits and pieces of gametime, but there are signs of real depth this year.

Wer'e still lacking a few big carriers, hopefully Henderson, Vermuelen and McCloskey remedy that soon.

• Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doak is very, very good. A ton of Ireland caps in his future.

On another note - thought the ref was great.

Yeah he was. At the match I thought the call to deny Herring's first try was harsh, but watching it back McCann definitely initiates the contact. Would need to see Hume's yellow again, initially I thought the Benetton player lost it in contact, but to be fair Hume didn't complain about the yellow. But yeah he was good.

There's a lot to like about this league this season. Still some mismatches but it's getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Very handy win. Doak very impressive. His goal kicking is exemplary and his box kicking on the money too.

Only real negative for me is Carter who ambles around the pitch and doesn't look that interested at times. Reminds me a bit of Neil Francis.

Vermuelen will bring extra ballast to the pack and will definitely improve the pack as well as bringing on the younger back row players.

Agreed on McCann and McIlroy as well. Ethan spared our blushes a couple of times last night with good positioning and awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good bit of business signing Kearnet! He's very handy and physical. I think he's better than Carter.

Doak is the best Irish prospect I've seen in a while. As a 9 of course. He's just so mature for his age! His ability is great too!

McElroy is very impressive and Addison brings so much to the back line. It's great seeing lads like Moxham getting minutes, it will deepen the pool.

Ulster will be a force when Henderson; Nordi and Vermuellen play. I think they could win the URC!

Young guns showing up well! Doak, McaCann & McElroy!

We could be in bother if Warwick is injured! No Loosehesds left and Milasonovich awol.

On another note I’m not looking forward to playing the SA teams, completely different level of physicality!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thought Matty Rea went well. Got stuck in and carried bravely.

Glad Addison came through unscathed.

Doak is very good. Good passer of both hands and just sets those little pop passes to his forwards right into their hands.

Good vision and kicks well also. One for the future.

• Advertisement

Injury update

Marty Moore suffered a concussion in training last week, and he is currently following the concussion Return to Play protocols.

Kieran Treadwell, Rob Lyttle, Eric O’Sullivan, Robert Baloucoune and David O’Connor have all now resumed full team training following their recent respective periods of unavailability.

Treadwell, Little and O'Connor really going to struggle unless they up their game.

Good to see O'Sullivan bac, Warwicks injury mustn't of been as bad as thought.

Advertisement