Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no citizenship test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As another poster said, a language test in one of our two national languages would be an idea. I've met an individual waving an Irish passport in a professional context who had next to no English, had to conduct the convo in a mutually shared language.

It left me wondering how many more cases like this there are. Probably more than official Ireland would like to admit.

We'd be one of the few (only I'd suspect) European countries not to administer a language standard for citizenship. France, Denmark etc ain't handing over passports to naturalisation candidates who don't have the national language to a somewhat high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

100% agree that citizenship should be tied to a baseline level of language proficiency.

In terms of testing for Irish cultural literacy, it's more of a 'nice to have' rather than a pre-requisite. I work in the tech sector; ca. 50% of my colleagues are from abroad, some of whom are in the process of taking out Irish citizenship. Frankly, the majority of them have little interest in Irish society, culture, or dare I say, Irish people. Most live in an ex-pat / immigrant bubble and rarely interact with Irish people outside of work. I would prefer that they showed more interest in their host society and didn't view an Irish passport in such a transactional manner. However, that's not for me to mandate.

It's their loss at the end of the day. As long as they are gainfully employed, pay their taxes, do not engage in crime, and speak enough English to communicate effectively, I couldn't care less how they live their lives. In truth, most of my Irish colleagues are equally as disinterested in them on a personal level, so it's pretty quid pro quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Whatever about knowledge of history, current affairs or culinary habits and such, a grasp of one of our official languages should be the basic minimum requirement. It's really not a lot to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Sand

When it comes to a citizenship test, we are describing a test for people who wouldn't otherwise be able to meet the conditions to turn out for the Irish football team if they were good enough. Which are loose enough to accommodate Tony Cascarino. To be honest, why would we be concerned if such people were "Irish" or not? By any measure they would only be nominally Irish. They might hold Irish passports or Irish citizenship, but never be ethnically Irish. The ethnic Irish might be concerned with the English, or the Famine, or Michael Collins because that is the story of our own people. People who hold Irish passports/citizenship but are not ethnically Irish might correctly view that as a foreign peoples history. We need to differentiate between ethnicity and citizenship, because they are not one and the same in the modern world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably should be one, however it would be a political mine field trying to introduce it... whatever party suggests it or attempts to implement it would take more of a kicking than praise....

The danger would be it would give the likes of SF a shot in the arm...I mean with their schtick on immigration as is that lot are only fûcking short of suggesting that we reimburse applicants their air fare, successful or otherwise....

first person to fail would be giving out wanting a resit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Keeping politics out of it as much as possible would be the ideal. A basic test in English would be grand. They don't even need to be fully proficient - a Ballybough or Tuam level of English as a minimum should be enough to participate in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah the oul history test. I did it for the Canadian citizenship, I was hungover and just before the flight, found a website with a question bank. I did that for an hour and got 100% in the test.

Because of my huge interest and time invested in understanding Canadian culture? No, because English is my first language and I can use the internet.

What does it really prove?

What does it prove? How little interest you have in the national story of the country in which you reside / resided. If you’re borderline disrespectful to the country you choose / chose to call home, that’s on you.

You’re pretty much identical to my colleagues described above. This is why I believe that a citizenship test is futile. Instead, we should insist on the fundamentals of economic self-sufficiency, language, and refraining from criminality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

What is knowing how many counties there are going to do for us?

Plenty of dickheads know that answer, so it's not like we're rooting out anything.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious, did you ask as part of your enquiry, how much its costing these people to apply for citizenship, I know many wonderful people from various countries who've gone through the process having lived and worked here for over 10 years, personally, most seem to know more about Ireland than actual Irish Citizens. Anyone, who spends years, working and living in Ireland and is prepared not just to go through a complex citizen application process but an expensive one, gets a pass from me, Citizen Test or no test.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

When you can turn up to your citizenship ceremony, wearing the uniform/stigmata of a viscious, fascist, totalitarian idealogy that would enslave us all in a heartbeat and still get your citizenship, it show we need to stop handing citizenship out like confetti.

I work in an MNC where almost 50% of the staff are non-Irish. I’m also a people manager, so interact with a lot of different folks.

The majority know very little about Ireland or the culture of this country, contrary to your assertion. In fact, one Brazilian chap is noteworthy for the time he has taken to understand his surroundings and to forge friendships with Irish people.

It scarcely registers for most of the others. They mostly see Irish citizenship in purely utilitarian terms and make no bones about it. As for cost, it’s a small price to pay to be afforded the privilege of citizenship of this wonderful country that our forebears have handed down to us.

Why such a hang up on knowing about Irish Culture exactly, what has that got to do with becoming a citizen 🤔

I've worked in 15 countries over 30 years, fantastic experiences , met some wonderful people, not once did learning about their culture enter my mind, yes, I saw some fascinating places. I seem to recall however, when for example in the USA, Irish people I got to know, went to Irish Pubs, Celebrated Irish Holidays (Paddy's), I personally had Irish Butter and T Bags sent to me across the world.

Here, I see Polish people live, work and contribute to Irish Society, but equally celebrate their own culture, Holiday's etc. People's identity doesn't change, I believe when and if they decide to take up citizenship, nor should it.

I'm an avid reader of History, for example I'd know more about the American Civil war than I would about the Easter Rising etc.

Citizen Tests seem to me to be completely un necessary, is it really that important a foreign national seeking citizenship needs to know who Michael Collins is, is it really necessary they know what the four provinces are, it just completely unnecessary.

I will admit, a basic understanding of the English language could be required ( perhaps it is, I don't know), but I suspect most applicant's have that mastered long before applying for citizenship, are we then to require applicant's can speak fluent Irish?, when such a small percentage of Irish people either speak or understand the Irish language (I'm one to my shame admittedly)

I'm just not getting why any citizenship test should require an understanding of things that ultimately don't affect or concern a citizens daily life.

1. ’Hang-up’? Not at all. I’m simply countering your assertion that apparently many foreigners living here know more about this country than actual Irish people. Fun fact. I manage people from the Indian sub continent and Latin America who have zero idea of the identity of the Taoiseach, that the Irish language isn’t English spoken with an Hiberno accent, and that Belfast lies in a different jurisdiction. Many of these folks are on the citizenship track. They’re simply clueless about where they choose to live. This bleeds into their personal lives where they inhabit bubbles of their own nationality. Does it affect their work performance? No. Do I care how they conduct their lives? No. Does it cheapen the value of Irish citizenship? Debatable.
    2. ‘A basic level of English’? It takes more than a basic level of English to be economically self-sufficient. That’s the bottom line. Have these people acquired a sufficient grasp of the language to be economically active. Preferably, they should also have the ability to engage with the majority population, but if they choose not to do so, that’s on them.
    3. I say this as somebody who lived in another EU country for a decade without having any intention of taking out citizenship. I made damn sure to learn the language fluently and to blend into the local culture, by learning something of the national story and taking an interest in local sporting and cultural events. For me, it’s about showing some interest in and respect to the country you have chosen to call home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is certainly not the case that most foreigners living in Ireland for more than 10 years know more than "actual Irish Citizens".

It may be that the "actual Irish Citizens" you know and hang around with are particularly ignorant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

why? surely it would be more important to see what they have to bring to our society, what qualifications and training they have had, and what type of jobs they would like to pursue, and what type of training they require to do so, ffs!!!!

Re Point One , And ????

RE Point Two , you know exactly what I meant about an understanding of the English language.

RE Point Three, I take your point about learning a language fluently if an intention was to stay very long term , however I respectively suggest English would be far easier to learn as a language than for example Indian with its numerous dialects, indeed some European languages extremely complex and Scandinavian languages also. Helpfully most of these have English as a second language.

I'm sensing a slightly concerning different narrative to the original question raised in OP so, I leave my contribution at that and my opinion still stands .

No but I can see were this Thread going , so I'm outta of it Donald Trump 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

We need to differentiate between ethnicity and citizenship, because they are not one and the same in the modern world.

No we do not.

There is no reason whatsoever to differentiate between the two, unless of course, you're trying to suggest that ethnically Irish people are somehow better or more valuable then non ethnically Irish citizens.

A slippery slope you're creating....... I would imagine most people understand exactly what youre doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah now thats not exactly true, those nationalists be nationalisiting!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,225 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted - if you are incapable of posting in a civil manner then do not post at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If they have been working in Ireland for 5 years then they clearly have sufficient language skills to be economically self-sufficient.

At this point in time. However, if circumstances change and they need to re-/ up-skill, they should have at least a B1 level of English, to avoid becoming a burden on the state.

It’s logical to impose some conditions on citizenship to future-proof our immigrant intake. Economic migration exists for the benefit of this state, not vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It doesn't make any sense really. A test of 'Irishness' isn't really possible. Knowing how many counties there are achieves nothing.

By all means, have conditions that must be met for citizenship to be granted (time period living here, no criminal record, etc), but an actual test does nothing.

And even then, those who don't meet the conditions for citizenship can live here anyway without citizenship as long as they qualify for a visa, so it's not really an immigration issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Numerous posters here have commented on foreigners intending to get Irish citizenship while also being disinterested, detached and ignorant of Ireland; to me this shows a complete lack of respect for the people, society and culture of the host country. An Irish passport is one of the most powerful you can get and citizenship bestows a lot of benefits so I don't think it's too much to ask to learn a small bit of knowledge about the country.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I couldn't imagine getting citizenship of a country I knew nothing about.

Post edited by Pixel Eater on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well why would you want people applying for citizenship to be more knowledge on the country than people born here? Have you got evidence that native born citizens who don't have this knowledge are some how disadvantaged and if so what is to be done about it? Make them do a course and attend a course as well?

In countries where there is a language requirement it is at A2 and I'd say that there are very few people applying for citizenship that could not very easily meet that requirement, unless perhaps they are the grand parents of the family etc....

Advertisement