Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban gambling adverts?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I took your first comment on this as a joke - but if you are actually being serious then I think (with all respect) it might be the case that you don't have much grasp on how the gambling (and in particular online gambling) industry works.

A comparison with a sex addiction (and most other addictions for that matter) do not compare. Not due to the addictive nature, but down to the sheer power the gambling companies have in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

I don't know about you but I would be physically maxed out before my credit card on hookers and coke.

Gambling could clean me out and I wouldn't break a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Banning anything never works and there has to be a bit of personal responsibility it is the same with forcing someone to take the vaccine it won't work. The way to do is for example anyone with a betting account would be declined a morgaage it's putting the responsibility and choice back on the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,745 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Look,

Kids see gambling ads ALL THE TIME. You cannot watch many sports now where gambling is a big part of it - and it is advertised as so. This is where the issue is. Gambling is being displayed as a "normal" behaviour - indeed an "expected" behaviour. This absolutely HAS to stop. The bookies are targeting younger and younger people and this will lead to far more issues down the line.

This really isn't rocket science.

Stop them advertising AT ALL. If it's such a great thing to do people will find it anyway but the normalisation of it is a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Completely agree with this.

Let people gamble if they want, but the normalisation of it by excessive advertising needs to stop.

When I was a kid, I watched football religiously. Don't remember any gambling adverts.

If I was a kid now, watching football the way I did, I would believe I was supposed/expected to bet on every sporting event based on the television advertising during those events.

That's the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The first thing they should do is change the legal status of a bet docket...

Its a gentleman's agreement and the bookie can choose not to pay you out...if you manage to sting them for a big payday...

Bookies are the worst kinda scum, much worse than drug dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Who said anything about gambling prohibition?

This thread is about banning gambling advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Bollocks. There's plenty of alternative sponsors lining up to endorse these sports.

The same argument was tabled regarding tobacco advertising. Snooker was heavilty sponsored by the tobacco industry. Benson and Hedges and Embassy tournaments, I believe. Formula 1 cars were festooned with Marlboro advertising. Darts was the same. These sports survived when the tobacco advertising was axed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ban all of those sex ads on RTE, yeah definitely. 🙄

Scrap the cap!

Should ban bookie shops within 5km of a post office or labor exchange. The fact that younormarily find a pub,bookies, off licence and a place selling cigarettes close together tells you all you need to know!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

"Labor exchange" ?

1973 just called, said it wants it vocabulary back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The argument against banning gambling advertising:

• Unlike other vices, gambling has no harmful affect on the majority of players. While around 50% of the population will gamble, only a low single-digit percentage will have a gambling problem.
    • Advertising is important to direct players to locally taxed, licensed and regulated operators, who will be more likely to impose player protection measures — from age vetting, anti-money laundering and source of fund checks, to interventions when problem gambling behaviours are detected. Banning advertising makes it more likely for players to play at unregulated operators, often with fewer protections, and so may have the opposite affect than intended.
    • Jobs: In Flutter, Ireland is home to the largest online gambling company in the world, home-grown and employing thousands of people across the country.

That said, there are lots of areas for improvement, both in advertising and in player protection more broadly. A watershed for TV advertising is a good idea, as is a greater prominence of safer gambling messaging. I would be in favour of limiting use of free bets and bonus incentives. Operators should also encourage greater adoption of deposit limits and so on, and regulators should have more power to hold operators accountable for shortcomings.

Sorry. I meant intreo. Bookies prey on those that can least afford it. Many are doing without(families of gablers)because.of the addiction they promote. Make all the jokes you want about town centres you want but it is rare to find a postoffice without a betting shop within 100m. I would suggedt that when small post offices close the small bookies disappear nearby

Not sure what your obsession with bricks and mortar is.

Do you think a problem gambler is going to stop because there's no physical bookies near their post office?

I live in a medium sized town of about 10k people. There's no bookies within 750m of the post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Get rid of winning streak. Terrible show and the draw is rigged.

it won't stop the problem gambler, but will make it more inconvenient. with less opportunity to gamble less people will also become hooked in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But unfortunately it's not the shops that are the reason for the increased prevalence of problem gambling, it's the online aspect.

The shops these days are really only there to cater for those that don't do it online, the older generation.

The singular biggest issue to new people (predominately men) developing problem gambling is through online activity, not bricks and mortar bookies. The biggest age range for problem gamblers is 20-45, and the vast majority of that cohort have constant access to online gambling.

Kids don't become addicts by placing bets in bookie shops

The view of the sad unemployed middle aged man going from the dole queue to the pub to the bookies is not a true reflection of the bigger aspects of the problem. In fact for a lot of men in that sad situation, the "community" around that trilogy is more beneficial for their mental health than if they were gambling / drinking in isolation

I would suggest most problem gambling uses multiple ways of gambling.. whatever is most convenient at the time. You have recieved your payment form the post office or withdrew money from the bank/atm, the nearby betting office is handy.. there is a social aspect, multiple betting options and TVs and tea or coffee for cus(uckers)tomers. I agree the older crowd more likely to use in place gambling.. that said stuck behind a pensioner in centra, dropping 50 euro on multiple different scratch cards and lotto tickets.. it took 10 mins to make the sale!

Nearest town to me is 20k population. 4 big chain bookies within 2 minutes of the post office and the intreo.. There are less options for grocery shopping. off licences and fastfood also very prevalent too. The big industrial estate just outside of town supports just one small sandwich bar..go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Xander10

What you are saying about bricks and mortar is outdated.

The scourge from adverts is the promotion of how easy and how much "fun" it is to tap your phone when watching a game.

It stated on the radio this week, there is a 48% drop in the number of bookies shops open since 2008.

The big two, with the resources to run online, have virtually squeezed the small independent guys out of the market.

I might do an occasional football bet in a shop. And these days they are virtually empty the whole time.

The lads you refer to, the addict with no online presence, will find the bookies to feed his habit whether it's next to the post office or 10 miles out a country road. He might actually prefer the latter for secrecy.

Advertisement