Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Router for Siro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thanks. Do you use the C8 with Siro. From the discussions above, there seems to be a requirement to support VLANs in order for Siro to work.
    Regards,
    PeterG.

I'm using it with VM at the moment, siro not in my area yet I'm waiting patiently it's due to be available in June. Yes the C8 does support vLan tagging, I haven't had to use it yet but I'm sure there are guides available.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dukelamonty

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm using it with VM at the moment, siro not in my area yet I'm waiting patiently it's due to be available in June. Yes the C8 does support vLan tagging, I haven't had to use it yet but I'm sure there are guides available.

Great. Thanks for taking the time to comment and subsequently reply. Much appreciated. -PeterG.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I'm on Vodafone Siro and having non-stop problems , dropping devices , needing rebooting etc ..
    I'm going to replace with the Archer router.
    Just wondering as I've always had wifi issues upstairs ( I've been told that's due to the underfloor insulation ) would it be possible to use two routers , one downstairs where the Siro comes into the house , and another one upstairs ?
    I already have a Cat 5 cable running up to little Tommys XBox up there .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I'm on Vodafone Siro and having non-stop problems , dropping devices , needing rebooting etc ..
    I'm going to replace with the Archer router.
    Just wondering as I've always had wifi issues upstairs ( I've been told that's due to the underfloor insulation ) would it be possible to use two routers , one downstairs where the Siro comes into the house , and another one upstairs ?
    I already have a Cat 5 cable running up to little Tommys XBox up there .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Yes you can. Router downstairs and an access point plugged into the cable upstairs.

I’d wait and see what coverage is like with the Archer. I Use a ubiquity WAP for WiFi instead of the Vodafone one and coverage is way better and much more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

heroics wrote: »
    Yes you can. Router downstairs and an access point plugged into the cable upstairs.

I’d wait and see what coverage is like with the Archer. I Use a ubiquity WAP for WiFi instead of the Vodafone one and coverage is way better and much more reliable

Thanks for that .
    Is it just a matter of connecting via Cat 5 cable ( Ethernet port to Ethernet port ) and plugging in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Thanks for that .
    Is it just a matter of connecting via Cat 5 cable ( Ethernet port to Ethernet port ) and plugging in ?

Depending on the devices as to how much config there is. A WiFi mesh system with cable for the back haul could be an option. Some suggestions in this thread

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058072654/4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

My system is an Edgerouter with 2x TP Link EAP-225's. One is mounted in the middle of the house downstairs, the other on the landing upstairs. Both centralised so much better wifi connection everywhere.

I had tried using a second wifi router with my vodafone (a TP-Link Archer VR900) but for some reason it would never give out DHCP addresses over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

I'm looking for an addition/replacement for a Vodafone Gigabox on SIRO due to its abysmal wifi. Thanks to the useful discussion in this thread, I'm leaning towards replacing the box entirely with the TP-Link Archer C7.

An earlier post mentioned that the v1 model doesn't support VLAN tagging, which is required. Is there any way to tell from a site listing which version I'm looking at? (For reference, there's Komplett and Currys).

Additionally, is there any benefit (or drawback) to going with the AC2300 instead? It seems to get good reviews, though I'm not sure what the higher spec means in real use. I won't be putting the network under heavy load so I suspect the extra €30 would be wasted. But if there's a compelling reason (future-proofing, for example) I might be open to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    I'm looking for an addition/replacement for a Vodafone Gigabox on SIRO due to its abysmal wifi. Thanks to the useful discussion in this thread, I'm leaning towards replacing the box entirely with the TP-Link Archer C7.

An earlier post mentioned that the v1 model doesn't support VLAN tagging, which is required. Is there any way to tell from a site listing which version I'm looking at? (For reference, there's Komplett and Currys).

Additionally, is there any benefit (or drawback) to going with the AC2300 instead? It seems to get good reviews, though I'm not sure what the higher spec means in real use. I won't be putting the network under heavy load so I suspect the extra €30 would be wasted. But if there's a compelling reason (future-proofing, for example) I might be open to it.

would you be better off using the gigabox for bringing the internet to the house and them a mesh system for the wifi element? wouldn't be a massive cost difference

Roy Rogers wrote: »

Get the C8 it's a brilliant router you don't have to worry about version number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

TheDriver wrote: »
    would you be better off using the gigabox for bringing the internet to the house and them a mesh system for the wifi element? wouldn't be a massive cost difference

I started with that line of thought, to be honest, but €75 to simply replace the gigabox and not mess about with additional devices seemed simpler as well as cheaper. House is about 140 sq m so a big mesh system seemed like overkill if a good router would do the job. Would you recommend a mesh system instead?
    CoBo55 wrote:
    Get the C8 it's a brilliant router you don't have to worry about version number.

Fair point, but I didn't spot it stocked anywhere with a quick look! (Out of stock on Amazon and haven't looked anywhere else yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The Archer C8 seems to be end of life. Anyone know what the latest equivalent model is?

The Archer C8 seems to be end of life. Anyone know what the latest equivalent model is?

C9? There's a C9 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John_McMahon

Hi Guys,
    I recently switched to Vodafone broadband, package deal 1gb siro broadband, tv and phone. The router from Vodafone has terrible wifi coverage so thought I would switch it out for a TP link mesh system. I have this plugged directly to ont and setup pppoe with vlan on the tplink which works great, coverage all over the house now. The issue I have is the TV no longer works or the phone. I don't care about the phone but is there anyway to get the tv working with this setup. I have a setting on the tplink that converts one of the ethernet ports to iptv but not sure if there are certain settings required to do this. Anybody know if this is possible and what the settings should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

Siro is being rolled out in my area currently so still a few months before i can get it . I currently have virgin media and they router the provided is awful . Im currently looking at the Archer A7 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Archer%2BA7&qid=1589897243&s=computers&sr=1-1&th=1 . I plan to bridge my Virgin box once i get this but im wondering does this router support Vlan tagging so that i wont need the vodafone gigabox once im able to get Siro?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

Siro is being rolled out in my area currently so still a few months before i can get it . I currently have virgin media and they router the provided is awful . Im currently looking at the Archer A7 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Archer%2BA7&qid=1589897243&s=computers&sr=1-1&th=1 . I plan to bridge my Virgin box once i get this but im wondering does this router support Vlan tagging so that i wont need the vodafone gigabox once im able to get Siro?

Nevermind , A7 is the C7 but is an amazon exclusive that has Alexa integration

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have a DSL-AC68U for a few years would that be suitable for FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Hey guys is this still the best priced router to switch the gigabox with? I have Vodafone TV but no big deal if it doesn't work on it as I've used it twice in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Would this router, linked below, replace a Vodafone Gigabox Router that comes with SIRO? I am looking to get more stability on my wifi as I have one device that has issues keeping a good connection.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax90/v1/

Going to answer my own question here, I bought that tplink ax6600 router and got it working with vodafone fibre (siro).

There are a few settings you need to change on the router, mainly...

• change internet connection type to PPPoE
    • enter a username of serialNumber@vfieftth.ie where serialNumber is the serial number on the back of your Vodafone Router
    • password of broadband
    • enable IPTV/VLAN and choose "custom" option
    • enter Internet vlan ID of 10
    • it needs a vlan ID for VOIP and IPTV as well, I just entered a 2 and a 3 there, dont know what they should be but I dont have VOIP or IPTV from vodafone so guess it doesnt matter
    • enable the 802.1Q Tag
    • I enabled OFDMA, TWT on the wireless options

And then it all worked, I named by wifi network the same as the old one and the same password and all clients connected ok. Job done.

Post edited by aristotle25 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

What is your top speed , using wireless connection ?

Have you got any improvement coverage/speed compare to Vodafone's router?

Yeah I definitely see a difference in coverage, I have strong wifi signal in parts of the house that was very weak before. That is the main benefit.

I saw 650MB on wifi when I tested the speed, it is averaging 450-550 at the moment in my home office which is upstairs, about 10 meters away in a straight line, and there is a bathroom between the router and here. It was at about 300-350 with the vodafone router.

If you dont have issues with the current vodafone router I am not sure I would spend money on a new one, I think the one I got was €250 or so. I only bought it as I have a hifi speaker than needs strong wifi.

650 Mbps is it with WIFI 6 phone ?

Have you got gigabit package , I suppose?

Post edited by alec76 on

Yeah have 1GB fibre.

I was testing the wifi on my latop but now I think that must have been with the cable plugged in and didnt realise.

Definitely seeing 500-500MB on wifi on my laptop with no cable plugged in just now.

I have an old iphone6 that tells me 150MB on wifi.

No bother , I was just curious, it is top of the range TP LINK WiFi 6 router and very cheap one compare to other brands .

Best routers could hit 850 mbps wireless via WiFi 6 , I was wondering if this one can do the same?

unfortunately you need iPhone 11 and up to find out.

As for the Vodafone latest Gigabox routers , they could go up to 500-600 mbps wireless too( for the very short range though)

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I left voda before end of contract because of their router a heap of sh$t.

The vodafone customer service is in keeping with the quality of their router.

Went to Digiweb wit Fritzbox excellent unit and excellent customer service from Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Hi folks,

Would this Archer C80 be a suitable option? Seems to be on special at £59.99 on Amazon at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B0845XD62P/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=archer+c9&qid=1633723043&sr=8-1

You might consider WiFi 6 router instead,

it is on good deal too £69

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Next-Gen-Gigabit-Wireless-1201Mbps/dp/B089YXY2YH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3SFQUJ8FW02YR&dchild=1&keywords=archer+tp+link&qid=1633772995&sprefix=archer+tp%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRFFEMTVMVk01MDVOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE4OTg1MlMzTURQTldUWFIwNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDQ5MjAyMk9PNlQ2Nkg2TjZITyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

choice not that simple , as c80 premium old router and AX20 new Generation budget line.

MIMO 3x3 vs MIMO 2x2 etc.

But AX20 does support WIFI 6 ,

MESH (so if one router won’t be enough to cover the house , you could add another one and create ONE seamless network)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

This arrived this morning, I set it up and the difference is incredible

• Advertisement

Advertisement