Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ah congratulations! Delighted for you, it was a long auld road, very glad for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not sure if it's been mentioned here already, but both interest rates have been reduced by 0.25%

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

thanks a million :) absolutely delighted. we have everything done now ready to send in but have to wait another week for an appointment at our gp to get these bloody letters! no other MPI asks for such a thing which is weird

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bee81

Hi Guys,

Long time follower 1st time poster.

We got RIHL mortgage approval in March, very lucky to go sale agreed in April signed our contracts in June and got our keys to our new home 31st August.

The MPI that they use are shockingly useless. I highly recommend sorting out MPI and IP with another company just in case as it held us up months.

I have a medical condition and did the telephone interview, sent in a medical report from my GP stating that my condition doesn't impact on my work life and I've never had to take time off work because of it and they still turned us down.

I talked to a colleague who's brother worked for that Insurance company and he told me he had to leave as they did his head in so much. The minute they input a medical condition on there system your automatically turned down.

We got there in the end but the council were so slow!!!!!!!!!!

Would you have any recommendations on who else to go with for MPI? Or do I have to wait to ask the council if we are turned down by theirs?

• Advertisement

We went with Irish Life found them really helpful and let them know it was urgent so they rushed it for us. Our GP was very good also and I explained I needed the medical report done quickly and sent back and they did it within days.

Your council aren't allowed recommend any MPI to you if your turned down you have to sort it yourself. If you have to get your own it has to go before the credit committee to be approved then you send in your last few pieces of paperwork and it goes before the next credit committee then it takes a week to issue the money order which has to be sent from the council solicitor to yours. We didn't think it would take the council as long to process but with the time of year everyone was taking leave and had to wait for them to come back from it. Really dragged out the process.

I just think the council doesn't make people aware of how long it takes and it's headwrecking

Jesus what a nightmare. I just emailed the council and asked them the process if I got turned down for their MPI. The reply I got was "you have to use the council's mpi". Sound, way to ignore the question haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RmIre90

Hi everyone,

Got sale agreed on a house early August and got the official loan offer from the council about 2 weeks ago which was signed and send back .Our solicitor wants to wait for the legal documents to come from the council before we sign the contract.Does any one know how long it will take the legal documents to come through ? Has anyone signed the contract before the getting the legal documents ? (Official loan offer signed)

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Would it fair to say you are saving a tidy sum by having your MPI with Irish Life rather than with the council?

You'd think it would but because my husband wasn't turned down for the MPI with the council he had to take it and the price was the same as what it would have been for the 2 of us on it. You have to take the council MPI unless your turned down for it. That's why I advised having a back up in place in case your turned down because it added 2 months of a wait on for us. My MPI had to be approved by the credit committee in July which it was we sent in the deed of assignment then and, payslips letters from employers stating that we were on no wage supplements. That had to go before the credit committee to be approved in August before the money order could be issued ( couldn't understand why it all couldn't be done at the 1 meeting but its the way it's done. Took another week for the money order to be issued to there solicitor then another few days before it was sent to ours. Then it had to clear their client account before it was sent to the vendors solicitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

We were told by an Estate Agent that vendors are reluctant to go with bidders on this scheme because of how slow the councils are. It's just maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DKMS

Hi, I wonder does anyone know how often there is a Credit Committee meeting held in Laois County Council?

Sorry it’s all very new to us. You got sale agreed before you received an official loan offer from Rebuilding Ireland? We are still waiting from Credit Committee, however we would like to buy the house we are renting. But probably it would be safer to wait for an official approval, just in case if our application was declined?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I have a quick question.

I will be eligible to apply for RBI in early Dec. At what point is it best to apply witb banks to obtain insufficient offers?

I presume the date needs to be pretty close to the application date so was thinking of applting via a break in 2 weeks time. Any advice?

Also I'm just assumimg the broker will provide me with an AIP letter once received? Is that correct?

Id be happy to do it myself but am very conscious that it takes the HR in my company ages to complete salary certs, if i do it myself multiple salary certs are required whereas only one will be required for a broker application

from what i know brokers won't touch the rebuilding ireland homeloan application. i spoke to two and both said i'd have to do it myself. for the refusal letters just print off online calculators. that's what i did and waterford council accepted it no bother

Oh thats fantastic - i will go for that so as I am actually going to be applying with Waterford Co. Council

any questions just DM me. we applied in april and received our approvial in principal via email in july and received our official paperwork in the post in september and went sale agreed on a house a few days after

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

2 quick questions if I may.

1. For the question on previous loan applications, is this referring to mortgage applications, or do I need to list every loan I've ever had?
    2. On the section (Appendix 3) for the 2 insufficient offers, for the amounts applied for, do I need to actually specify an amount, or can I put maximum available here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

Genuinely curious as to what the benefit, bar being able to borrow over 3.5x, is for a Rebuilding Ireland loan?

There are a lot of banks offering better rates. I've heard the mortgage protection insurance for RI is very expensive too and you're forced to use one individual provider for it. I would obviously prefer to be putting the interest money back into the state rather than a faceless bank, but what other benefits are there for an RI loan?

Thats the only benefit to be honest. RBI is for when 3.5x wont buy you a home. 3.5x my salary wouldnt buy me an apt. But with RBI and i've over 30k saved I'll have a lot more options.

I do think that we'll see interest rate rises soon, inflation is getting out of control and when that happens int rates rise to curb it. The benefit of a long term fixed rate is also there in that instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pmrozik

Hello All,

I just wanted to let everyone know about our experience with applying for the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan.

We were fully approved by AIB and PTSB and were well on our way to purchase a home. The seller then pulled out once we asked our solicitor for a Letter of Termination as there was an elderly tenant at the property. We were of course assured that they would move out as soon as we paid the deposit.

Long story short, we did not purchase the property and in the space of two months prices went up about 15-20%. The Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan was our backup plan all along. We applied towards the end of June, and received our decision on September 15th. It read that we were rejected for the following reasons:

1. Repayment Capacity Not Demonstrated
    2. Unsatisfactory Savings Record/Source of Equity - No Credible and consistent savings
    3. Unsatisfactory Financial Management - Unpaid direct debits

This was from the Waterford City and County Council. I spoke with the lady who had submitted our application and she said she was surprised herself.

I am not sure what to say really. As I had mentioned, we were fully approved by two banks and our finances were credible enough to them. We even managed to pay off our PCP car loan back in March to increase our repayment capacity.

Not really sure where to go from here, we're looking to see if we can apply for social housing as prices have gone through the roof.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. Best of luck to everyone.

Sorry to hear that - such disappointing news to get!

From what i've seen a lot of people appeal this decision. I know its more stress but fwiw i think it would be worth a shot.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Appeal if you wish. In my experience your better of trying again with a broker. ( i recommended which brokers if allowed to do so )

went down the route of rebuilding ireland. Asking loads of questions before applying. Got rejected on something they assured me I wouldn’t get rejected because of. Pure waste of 3 months.

Now sale agreed with that broker. Contracts exchanged. So just a waiting game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anybody approved with previous credit issues? Missed payments on a CU loan a few years ago, loan has been cleared for over two years now. I know banks are a bit flexible and have been told by broker we should be fine with most banks considering the length of time since the credit issues and the strength of the rest of our application (savings etc) but from what I've read the council will just turn it down once they seen the credit report so don't really want to waste our time applying if that's the case.

Anyone know what the turnaround is for Dublin City Council at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DunleeryMary

Was on to Louth County Council as about to submit an application. However, they are not accepting any more applications as their funding is exhausted. They said they didn't know whether the scheme would reopen in January (!!) or would be replaced by some Housing for All scheme. Am devastated here as had been saving to apply now.

Does anyone know if it is usual for County Councils to run out of money towards the end of the year? Has anyone heard that the scheme is to be discontinued or subsumed into another Housing for All Scheme? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And we still expect this government to solve the housing . Christ

That’s what we received too. Qe were waiting for over 9 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DunleeryMary

Did they indicate that the scheme would be open again in the new year? Beginning to think they just ran out of their fund allocation for the year. The Housing for All launch paper says this about the Local Authority Home Loan scheme -

1.7 Reform the Local Authority

Home Loan scheme

Changes will be made to the current

Local Authority mortgage product which

enables first-time buyers, on low to

moderate incomes, to access sustainable

mortgages to purchase new or secondhand

properties, or to self-build. The

loan, in its current form, has had over

2,200 mortgage drawdowns in just over

3 years of operation. The product will

be changed by lowering the interest

rate for new borrowers by 0.25% and

raising the maximum income ceiling for

single persons to €65,000 in areas where

the house price limit under the scheme

is €320,000 (Greater Dublin Area5,

Cork, Galway). These improvements

will extend the reach and impact of the

scheme, particularly for single people,

whilst ensuring that the Home Loan’s

features remain appropriately positioned

compared to commercial mortgages.

• Advertisement

Is the housing for all scheme is coming into play any time soon? Plan is to reduce the RI interest rate by .25% which would work out to be a significant chunk over the lifetime of the loan.

Advertisement