Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I doubt it. Seed is hard to get and expensive. It strips residual N out if the soil and leaves nothing behind unless it ploughed in. It starts to go to seed from late April on

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Looked into it but seed availability snd price against it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Well whatever he's spreading we need to educate ourselves. The french are 20 years ahead of us on reducing nitrogen and while short term the gas problem and fertilizer prices might be sorted, long term were going to have to take a serious look at the French model and see what can be adapted to our situation. Obviously, not everything is going to work but we should be trialling what we think can now. Im sure Dawg pits clover and uses it as a cheap protein source in a diet? that should be trialled here. Growing crops with just dung application should be trialled here and lots more im sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A good bit of panic creeping into this thread now.we ve always had problems in farming and this is no different. Hopefully the thing will affect global and if it does we ll be fine. The danger is if there are inequality s globally we could lose out.steady the ship .figure out strategies to deal with it and move on.as for farming in France, plenty of environmental problems there too and as far as I know we still the second best for water quality in Europe. But open to correction

Post edited by K.G. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Sorry to nitpick but that quote is 1 more cow, 1 more sow, 1 more acre under the plough. ( an exhortation to increase production during war years ). Would anyone agree with the opinion that rather than fertilizer now being too dear it has actually been too cheap back the years, thus delaying new methods being attempted before now as it was too easy to sow monocultures of ryegrass any plenty of nitrogen. Spread very little myself but circumstances allow me to make that choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

There will be alot of cold homes throughout europe between now and spring. Something will have to be done. Food shortages are bound to occur soon and I'm glad I'll have a clear conscience on that matter. I would say between China heading into recession, energy crisis and impending food crisis a global recession is likely. That should sort out alot of demand also. All in all I think I'm beyond caring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I never suggested that ye should grow maize etc. I outlined what WE grow, and the AMOUNT of fertilizer we use. It’s up to ye and Teagasc to figure out a system going forward. The resistance to change is sizable. Looks like there’ll be plenty selling entitlements and going off grid…

I got offered Yara 33.3N bb toplift for €505 and Lithan (Lithuanian) 34.4 for €460. Spoke to lads at home and another merchant, and both said immediately to take it. Seems that they can’t even get a quote, not to mind supplies. Rang at 5 before closing and it was all sold…they only had 1000t of each, but it shifted fair fast. Maybe Jay is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The thing is though - this is a blip - there's no shortage of gas at the wells( at the moment ) , it's a shortage of delivered supply in Europe and Asia , as soon as supply increases it'll be business as usual - that could take a year or 2 though ...(although I could see prices being a bit higher ,) ...

What'll be interesting is if it changes mindset - theres loads of guys who could make more profit and have an easier life changing systems and using less fertilizer,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Well researched article here, by our esteemed farming media, anyone thinking the normal market forces are in play just look at the inflation rates in shipping freight prices are 10x in alot of cases pre covid rates that's voodoo economics at its finest that still hasn't resolved itself

Post edited by jaymla627 on

What regime is the most fertiliser efficient, multicut or large bulk cuts.on your average grass swards by how much does fertiliser increase yeild--100%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Correcting all nutrients macro and micro is key.

There's an excellent grass grower in my locality. Neighbours, everyone is in awe of his skills. Has cows out in December, back out in January, etc.

He got/gets a detailed soil report done.

It came back low in selenium. One agronomist/livestock expert recommended there's no point spreading selenium on soil. Just have it in the minerals fed. He didn't listen and spread it in March this year. He remarked it made a big difference in grass growth and N efficiency.

I already thought he was good but he must be hitting another level if he says it's improved again. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Interesting question, but what I do know is that you need grass to grow grass, so overgrazing or cutting crops too tight definitely effects grass growth and no amount of fertilizer can compensate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would ye take can at 385 a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Only was allowed a few ton collected, it all helps I suppose

Chatting local merchant this morning and he's fielding calls from lads he's never dealt with before looking for fert, he was extremely bullish two weeks ago when I bought of him that price/supply would sort itself now, different story now....

Most interesting story was a local tillage man who needed 200 ton of fert that always dealt with his co-op trying to buy of him, its going to get very messy from here on out trying to source fert

Ya alad I normally buy fert off wasnt in great mood and was saying farmers didnt buy much this year?? Be interesting come the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Surprised there hasn't been more leadership from teagasc , farm organisations or even the processors/ co-ops on what's likely to be available this spring and what the likely prices are going to be for milk ect.. , and what if anything can be done on individual farms to deal with low availability ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

While I don't question your man's grass management abilities. At the end of the day, he's part of a fraction of farmers able to do that due to ground conditions, He could have all the grass in the world, but it's no use if the cows are going down to their knees in the ground.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Weather and soil type trumps all.

I Was in Solohead in the mid 2000s. August time the farm was a sea of grass and clover. It was as impressive a farm as I ever saw. Teenager mad for farming, I tried replicating it here. Reseeding more than planned and broadcasting clover seed out as was mentioned at the time. Came ok but a few wet summers finished it. It's still there though as it shows itself in droughts. Solohead they class as heavy but that is relative. Clover is a bit like solar power. Awesome when the sun shines.

Slurry treatment should be a big topic. What's out there aside from salesman talk and anecdotes. No good talking to two fellas, one says it works great and another calls it snake oil.

On slurry also, will the price of trailing shows and dribble bars go up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Best post on here in a long time it's all relative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Yes, I'm interested in learning more about slurry treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Number one they're not bothered it's not there Money at risk

Number two they as a collective and also us as a collective haven't a clue where things are going and where they are going to end up

If fertiliser is scarce next spring it raises interesting questions for a coop.who gets it and on what basis,loyalty, prompt payers,scale and other business with the coop,members/non members, within area or outside area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

he spread selenium in the like of selenistart? There is only 0.002% selenium in that product. Would that be enough to make such a difference?

I don't know what he spread.

He's always been into the micronutrients testing. And for all the criticism of teagasc in quarters he's been able to call on the advice of the soil 'experts' in johnstown castle.

His latest test wasn't a teagasc one tho.

He was light years ahead of the locals here moving to calcium lime and balancing up. When all of us around when we'd ring for "lime" and not knowing any different we'd have magnesium lime delivered.

The selenium from Gouldings does work to be fair, 1st pic is 2nd cut that got normal can and 2nd pic is 3rd cut that got two bags of selenigraze

Anyone doing forage mineral analysis able to beat my molybdenum scores

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How do you treat for copper with that high level of Mo?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement