Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

State pays €800million a year in HAP payments, that'll probably pass 1billion next year, I would have a bigger problem with that than paying for Mica .

€350K does seem extreme when you figure water,power and sewage are already on site but I think that because its a State scheme you'll be forced to use their cronies pushing the price up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They aren't mutually exclusive frankly.

Im against the privatisation of social housing it absolutely makes no sense to basically send hundreds of millions abroad and earn next to zero tax on it. We are literally bleeding money out of our economy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Behind pay wall. Who are they taking the action against?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry no idea, you think I'm daft enough to pay for the Indo, to see cr@p like love letters left for Maura Higgins from her boyfriend?

I only read what you read, but even only knowing the headline, still interesting development in the Mica scandal.

Some Mica families on the Late Late Show tonight.

Must say I'm surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah they're on now. Dunno what they're saying as just on in the background here with volume down

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ha, sorry. Just saw them on so thought I'd see if anyone here had mentioned it already

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

As I see it from Canada there are Government standards for all blocks and bricks used in buildings. Blocks and bricks can be tested, put under pressure until they collapse. I usually used poured concrete for foundations and exterior walls. Cores were taken usually 2 inch diameter and tested to a stated pressure, if the sample failed more cores were taken and the failed walls were demolished and rebuilt. I cannot see Irish contractors testing blocks and bricks, they would rely on the manufacturers meeting mandatory Government of Ireland standards. The manufacturers must have marketed the defective products to the builders. Did they claim they were lighter, were more insulative, cheaper, what were the selling points. The buyers of residences would expect materials used would meet Government standards and if they did not the manufacturer is responsible. If the manufacturers moved their assets to the Cayman Islands or declared bankruptcy then the Government is at fault and should compensate all affected homeowners fully. The best way to do it is to pay the homeowner the cost of replacement residence. The homeowner can then build to suit his budget. No big Government and big Construction boondoggles. I am assuming here that Ireland has a competent Government, thinking otherwise would make me uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

So, explain to me how someone in gets a Mortgage to construct a property that will always be worth less (substantially it seems) than the cost of construction? That brings me on to the tax take, lower tax take can generally be equated to lower income, which does not correlate to the seeming excess disposable income, to cover the shortfall between the construction cost and mortgage-able value of the property.

I know I will now be told that x number of people purchased these houses on the used market at the going market rate, so they could afford that but not necessarily the construction cost, so they are only in a hole for the purchase price or the market value if Mica did not exist, lets be kind and say whichever is higher.

I'd be very curious to hear the breakdown of figures between first owners and used dwelling purchasers, to see how it washes out the disparity of cost vs nrv.

As for infrastructure, The Luas is in Dublin, so I wouldn't know anything about it, I can see a railway line, closest station is bit of a spin away, or a two plus hour walk regular buses? There was a bus stop 2 miles away, the Motorway fixed that, its about 6 miles now.

Public leisure centers? I presume you mean swimming pools gyms etc, the ones that are private that we pay a membership fee to use?

Its ****, I get that, but its guaranteed that there have to be losers in this, all I am suggesting is that we all loose. You get a new build to replace your 1980 to 2011 house from what I see reported as the affected range, so a 41 to 10 year old build replaced with new, the oldest builds are heading to needing work anyway, they will have a brand new roof and will be set for another 40 years, anyone else in the county with a 40 year old house is going to be stuck with that themselves, lets be fair, a rebuild of even a ten year old house leaves the person better off, there has to be some cost of that borne by the benefactor, especially considering that the other parties you are asking to pay for it have absolutely no part in this.

I get you are all pushing for a free rebuild, wouldn't we all if we were in your shoes, but in reality, we are not in a communist state, your property is your asset, all benefits and risks pertaining to that asset are yours unless covered by an insurance policy or secured against a finance agreement.

For example, if you get a rebuild for free, sell in ten years at a €120k profit over your purchase price, should you not owe an element of that to the tax payer as a stakeholder in the property, seeing as the general gist in your argument is that the tax payer is liable for the construction issues?

I look forward to being struck down for this, but I honestly believe that those seeking a complete bail out need to acknowledge that there are massive costs involved in this and that they need to be borne proportionately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Many of the houses are either condemned (unliveable) or soon to be condemned. The houses have to be demolished in their entirety, the lots are still useable. The amount that should be given to the homeowner is determined by square footage and age of a house properly built and in reasonable repair. The cost of demolition must also be accounted for. That amount is given to the homeowner who can do whatever he likes with it. There are a lot of bright boys and girls in the business who can determine the value of the building lot separate from the house on the lot. It is scandalous that manufacturers of concrete blocks were able to produce garbage for almost two decades. Ireland is not a low income tax country, it is a low corporate and wealth tax country. Income tax intake is sufficient to ensure that standards are in place and testing and inspection conducted. Look at France and Germany do you hear of junk building practices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've said it a few times on the Mica Facebook group, pissing people off by blocking motorways is a terrible idea and will do far more harm than good.

And this is just days after those Insulate Britain dickheads have demonstrated this so well in the UK.

Such a stupid thing to do.

Everytime this makes the papers, all i see are people with daily mail sad faces in front of their crumbling McMansions! Did anybody build a small bungalow or a 3 bed semi with the mica blocks?. If they exist please put them front and centre,but please stop asking for 100% redress from the rest of us(taxpayers) for homes most of us would never get to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Anyone that thinks blocking a motorway is a good tactic is sadly mistaken. You are blocking people trying to collect kids etc. All you are doing is driving the public against you

Do it again and the public will be with the TDs

So sorry the plan is to get a big lump of money and the person can then spend it how they see fit on repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've made my feelings known and believe redress is required, I won't claim to know how that's achieved or how much but I have to comment on the quite shocking lack of reporting on yesterday's protest (incidenty I must be honest and say blocking motorways not helping any cause and have to also say the spokes person Paddy Diver is not helping, I get his frustrations and anger but feel he's going over the top a Tad)

Recent posters I saw with public figures faces crossed out were quite ominous to be honest and I'm no fan of those who's faces were crossed out either.

Media Coverage.

Morning Ireland barely mentioning the Mica Story.

The Claire Byrne radio show in fairness has given the Mica scandal a lot of coverage, particularly reporter Barry Kenny who reported live from the city yesterday.

Joe Duffy has ignored the story completely, I suspect under instructions , clearly callers have been trying to call the show for weeks and Duffy or management having none of it.

But most intriguing was RTE''s main evening news last night. Main story was whinging farmer protests, followed by wind power (Both involved a lot of wind and not the weather variety), I think the Mica story was the 6th story and really only an aside.

Either the message is being lost or a concerted effort to Bury the story is at play ,

Dare I say its starting to look like the pandemic bonus debacle, initially everyone up in arms, every public service union looking for a slice of the pie, government spokes people mutter occasional words of support for the idea, then quietness settles in, followed by complete silence in the hope everyone forgets about that idea, In essence I'm sensing a classic, let them turn on themselves approach by government. Those legitimately leading the protests really need to ask is the movement loosing the run of itself and ultimately the battle.

Just my humble opinion I might add. I still absolutely support redress.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I agree with the sentiments above 're Paddy Diver. No need to block the M50 and then gloat about it. I've seen and heard him several times now and honesty he shouldn't be the face of the campaigners.

He's obviously a hard worker and someone who is important to the group but wouldn't be my choice for the person to put in front of the media.

Any more of this and you won't be posting here again.

Blah blah blah. There was articles all over the shop on it. It was covered on all the radio stations news and they were on the late late show.

It's absolutely dishonest to say it's not getting coverage. That's Narnia land .....

The story is everywhere and the government have made multiple statements and video releases etc. No idea how anyone is saying it’s been buried

• Advertisement

You need to familiarise yourself with the topic before posting again.

Any further use of the term "McMansion" by anyone will be considered trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Donegal already costs Dublin a fortune, but that's ok. However, blocking the tax payers that help sustain you from going about their business & work will reduce the sympathy that's there.

That was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So your happy with RTE's general coverage are you, fair enough but if it were I that was affected, I'd be livid frankly. But if your happy, so be it

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Totally agree and I've said it before.

If you're looking for someone to do the Braveheart style speech for troops going into battle, Paddy is your man.

But he's not a good public speaker. Any time I've seen or heard him interviewed he just gets too emotional and waffles. Totally fails to present the facts.

Also the God status that's being applied to him helps nobody. Not his fault of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

That seems to be a term, mainly used by people from Dublin who seem to envy the fact that country people are able to build larger houses than they can in the city, but at the same time the same people would scoff that they could never live in the country without the services and benefits city life gives them.

This has now carried over to a sort of resentment for some people now that there taxes may have to contribute to this scheme.

But to answer that original posters question and many others who haven't really a clue whats really happening up here.

There are many people in smaller housing estate houses which are also now condemned with this mica problem as well, you may not see it on the media coverage much though.

The guy on the late late show with the PhD was calm cool and collected when Tuberty teased out the questions that the public ask about who is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If my mind serves me right the main story yesterday was about Bank of Ireland closures. Don't see why because this was Bank of Ireland's end goal all along.

But if anyone thinks this deserved to be lead news ahead of a crowd of 20 or 30k bringing the capital to a standstill because there homes are collapsing around them is hard to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

This crowd number seems to keep growing by the hour.....

Advertisement