Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Positive on the face of it but I wonder what is driving this. This is Mayo so we can expect further drama in the coming weeks.

Now the hard part installing a Dublin \ Kerry \ Tyrone standard of Chairman. First he has to be found, then persuaded to stand and finally Clubs need to put aside their own self interest and put in whoever will be best for County.

Personally I think we need a complete outsider. By this I do not mean a non Mayo person but a person who is a complete outsider to Mayo GAA \ Divisional Executives. Somebody who knows how to successfully run an organisation. It does not matter if from Mayo or not.

The winning or losing of next AI final starts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

You're looking for a paid CEO, not a voluntary chairman.

I'm not saying you're wrong to look for that, but it's a different role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

There was rumours going around the week after the all ireland that he was going to resign. Which has now turned out to be true!

I would have no issue with a paid Executive Chairman or a CEO under a voluntary Chairman. If Senior Team managers are being paid and County Secretaries \ Administrators then why not a Chairman.

We probably spend €1-1.5 million on Senior Team every year with no return so why not spend €100-150k on a good Executive Chairman or CEO. We need to try something different.

I'd agree with that. I think Mayo GAA is a big organisation now, and has the potential to become much bigger in terms of commercial income etc

Much too big for voluntary office holders to manage to it's potential, and probably unfair to expect them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Disappointing to see Moffatt stepping down. I thought he was doing a reasonably good job. It's difficult for anyone to put in the time required for a job like this and especially so when you have a couple of young kids. Good luck to him in future endeavours

Will be interesting to see who replaces him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Head over the the Kerry thread, not much love for the CB chair over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

You do not want follow the Kerry CB template. It's a shambles. And I'd probably get banned for expressing my thoughts on Murphy but I'm glad his time is up.

A paid CEO is the way to go these days for counties that can afford it and Mayo are one of those who can. A proven business man who knows what is required to succeed. Days of county board officers, jobs for the boys along for the ride are numbered and it wont be long before a paid executive is the norm.

Do many counties have paid CEOs? How does it work in relation to the CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Completely agree, larger counties are fairly big business these days. A competent CEO should pay from themselves multiple times over... The only problem is that you could/would likely still get jobs for the boys candidates filling the paid positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

pretty sure there's only the one.

I do think more counties will need to look at it. It's a full time job as it is and expecting people to volunteer all their time for it isn't going to be productive, all you will get from that is lads who are past their prime and likely without the relevant experience needed.

Just Dublin afaik. But on a list of counties who could easily afford it you're probably looking at Mayo, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, maybe Meath and Kildare. On the hurling side, you'd have Limerick, Tipp, Kilkenny, maybe Cork and Galway?

That's a fair amount of counties who could afford to implement such a measure. Add Offaly to the list too now Lowry is backing them.

Not a discussion for this thread so apologies for taking it off topic but I'd see a CEO of county boards becoming normal soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Another levy on the clubs to pay for this?

how did the Tom O’Reilly experiment work out?

• Advertisement

I don't know who Tom Reilly is.

No levy on clubs. County sponsorship would cover it. The counties I mentioned all have deep pockets and Kerry reportedly make a million a year off a dinner in New York, I'm sure Mayo and others pull in similar. With the amount spent on county teams these days, a CEO expense isnt a huge one.

Yeah, it's a bit off topic but worth discussing somewhere all the same. FWIW, I think it's something that the GAA should look at centrally (e.g. roles & responsibilities (including the responsibilities of the GAA/CB as an employer), transparency, etc.) - otherwise, we'll end up with it done arseways in a lot of counties

It didn't he walked. No pint employing professionals if you don't use them properly. Old saying "No point having a dog if you want to bark yourself" or something similar.

Sure if only we had a full time CEO. There would be Cliffords, Fenton’s and O’ Callaghan’s at every club.

Coaches not CEOs are what is needed

Can you explain what \ where coaches are needed and what you want them to do.

• Advertisement

Work with clubs to develop the volunteer coaches who are ultimately responsible for new talent coming through and then to stream that talent into development panels from u14 ensuring all promising players have gotten exposure to proper coaching for a number of years by the time they reach adulthood.

Ultimately it’s about changing how we go about developing players. Move away from a system which pulls all talented footballers out to their own 40 and midfield at club level to maximise their time on the ball, therefore not developing fully rounded footballers in all positions

Would have no issue with your point on its own but unfortunately there are more points to consider.

• What is coaching philosophy going to be for these coaches. Let us say that we have 8 coaches in County odds are we will have 8 philosophies. 1 will follow Mickey Harte, another Jim McGuinness, Dessie Farrell, Donie Buckley etc etc so no consistency and then players arrive in minor , senior squads where different philosophies again. Thus to solve this we would need an agreed philosophy and a "Supervising Coach" in overall charge to ensure consistency of approach, manage recruitment, coach training and development etc etc Then question of where this person sits in hierarchy, does he work under county manager, Chairman or someone else.
    • So now have Senior Manager, Minor Manager, U20 manager, Hurling Managers, Supervising Grass roots coach, County Secretary, Treasurer, Commercial Officer etc etc. Who is going to manage all of these potential professional ? A part time amateur Chairman who may have never managed anyone or anything in his life with a full time job. I think not.
    • In team sport everybody is now looking at everyone else and learning from them and many sports professionals are moving between different sports and bringing what they learn in one to the next. The GAA is doing this as regards central management to a certain extent plus some counties are seeing the light. If Mayo does not modernise quickly not alone will it not win an AI it will end up returning to the dark days of the 70's. I think we can learn a lot from Rugby who are not as big as GAA but have to mange both Professionals and Amateurs in playing, coaching and management streams.

To be honest I think to highlight the success of rugby does a huge disservice to the GAA. The are 5 professional setups and otherwise the rugby system is floundering, development only being rescued by the wealthy private schools. The amateur game is in disarray. And dont even start on the women's game

As an entire organisation the GAA is far more successful.

On structure for games development in Mayo.

A full time "Sporting Director" with full time Head of Football Development and Part time / Full time Hurling development coach also. Senior Manager also to report directly to the Sporting Director, with underage Coaches as games development coaches falling under head of development. The Sporting director sets the vision for the county with CB approval and holds the development arm accountable. The Senior team would be separate to the development arm as ultimately that have to work with what they have, however Sporting Director would ultimately be charged with merging philosophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

There’s already an academy structure in place that plays in a broadly similar fashion.

Fanofconnacht clearly has an agenda on here, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t linked in some way to our friend in London.

From what I’ve seen Moffatt did an excellent job in a very difficult period and will be a huge loss. From what I’m hearing there’s no drama in his stepping away, it’s a genuine case of him having more going on outside of the CB and not being able to commit the time. I think he’s left the CB in a much better position than when he took over.

Ah Ref reckons we’ll have a contest for his successor which is always a good sign

Of course I have an agenda here just like every poster on Boards. On this one mine is making contributions for the betterment of Mayo GAA leading ultimately to winning an AI.

Who is "our friend in London" that you wish to link me to ? I have no idea who this is.

It always amuses me when people resort to "Conspiracy theories" when ideas and opinions are put forth which they do not agree with and which they do not have the intellectual capacity to counter.

I post my own thoughts \ opinions \ ideas which are not to everybody's liking. If everybody had the same opinions Boards would never have been set up.

When somebody resorts to making a personal attack on me I know I am winning the arguement. Like playing football, when your opposing number started playing dirty you know that you have won the football battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mayo man in london

Green&Red

Its seems you are the one with the agenda here. our friend in london is an insult to all the people that left our county to seek a better life . there are 100's of mayo people living all over the UK while the mayo association in london hosts an annual gala dinner and other events which raise 100,000euros every year

Dont kid yourself -Liam Moffat is NOT leaving because of personal reasons. Did his radio interview on Midwest a day earlier sound like someone about to resign. He sounded like a man very much in charge of his thoughts and emotions - a man with a plan. he will go down in history as the shortest ever serving chairman of mayo gaa

The reality is what has he achieved as chairman? he cleared up the mess with the foundation at a initial cost of 250,000 euros with more promised. Your man in london i think you are referring to pledged to buy the land for lough lannagh and contribute an additional 1m euros - thats the reason lough lannagh is NOT going ahead. Mayo dont have any money or other donors and croke park wont support any new expenditure given they are the biggest creditor

All major decisions including hiring now have to be approved by croke park/john prenty. mayo gaa are servants/slaves to croke park who will collect 33000 euros every month for next 24 years at a cost of 9.5m! leitrim have a centre of excellence while roscommon announced last month they intend to build one to. that only leaves mayo and galway to use Bekan which is a vanity tool for john prenty. do you not think mayo should not have their own facility?

Ah ref is right though - the race for the next chair will be close. I just hope he/she is strong enough to make decisions for the better of Mayo GAA and not be a puppet to Croke Park/John Prenty. Ah ref should run for PRO but unfortunately the service he provides on his accounts about the club games are fantastic and i love the podcast too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Advertisement

No insult at all, I've plenty of friends in London, I was talking about one man in particular.

Tim O'Leary had some great ideas on financial governance but thought that his money could bypass corporate governance. Liam Moffett did the right thing in telling him that Mayo GAA wasn't for sale. You'll go a long way among mayo GAA people to find someone who thinks Liam Moffett did a bad job as chairman, in general those that do are upset because Tim O'Leary was told that a big cheque wasn't all it took to have control over Mayo GAA.

As for your friend fanofconnacht, intellectual capacity

which bit of corporate governance do you take issue with? Was not the county board at fault with their own lack of governance? i not sure what unreasonable demands tim oleary made but if i am wrong please tell me. Anyway that is water under the bridge - lets move on

re liam moffat popularity, he was only elected because of the sh!t storm created in the media for the 3 months previous by oleary which was clearly very strategic and thought out and no doubt liam/oleary were clearly in bed together. Liam eventually got 55% vote and won very narrowly. it is fair to say liam was an outsider as chair and as the unexpected person who won he had many enemies day 1 before he even started. The week before he was elected, the current secretary was publicly telling people to vote for Tuohy. how could the chairman and secretary have a normal relationship given what happened pre the 2019 convention.

the truth is liam was not strong enough to stand up to all the people who wanted tuohy as chair, an aggressive/demanding inter county manager and croke park of course. Liam stopped all the trips for the county board members and their friends and families - give credit there for that but the old boys clubs were plotting how to get rid of him and resume normal business. Overall it was a nightmare for liam and i can assure you he is sleeping well finally this week having made his decision.

Where do we go from here? go back to old school, or give full control to croke park. maybe liam was destined to fail day 1 after the way he was elected? we will never know...

Post edited by mayo man in london on

Ah Tim O Leary. Just to be clear I have never met him, spoke with him or had any dealings with him of any nature. The same goes for "Mayo Man in London".

"Corporate Governance" is one of the great "buzz" expressions of our time but unfortunately most people do not seem to realise that every organisation has "Corporate Governance" some have "good" and some have "bad". Those with the "bad" invariably end up in the news for the wrong reasons a lot more than those with the "good". Compare and contrast Mayo GAA with Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Kilkenny, Limerick, Tipperary or indeed Leitrim, Carlow, Wicklow and Fermanagh.

I have no idea of the ins and out of the rown between Mayo GAA and Tim O Leary as unfortunately there is no real transperancy as regards operation of Mayo GAA. In some ways it is unfortunate that threatened court case did not occur as maybe we would have learned something about how Mayo GAA operates.

"Mayo GAA not being for sale" is another buzz expression which is meaningless. I don't know if LM actually said this or not but meaningless if he did.

if I decide that I want to donate to any cause I can do so unconditionally or I can do so with conditions that is up to me. if is up to receiver to decide if my conditions are acceptable to it or not. If not it would always be helpful to know why exactly both for potential donor and receiving organisation members.

I probably move among different "Mayo GAA People" to "Green & Red" but I know many who think LM did a bad job as Chairman and welcome his departure. This has nothing to do with TOL saga as none of us knows exactly what went on or who was right or wrong.

Maybe Mayo GAA should sell off the senior team to a private individual \ group of individuals for a number of years as an experiment to see if this would deliver AI success. It could do no worse than current arrangement has done for 70 years. I don't think the fans would care one bit so long as this delivered success.

Things have to change if we want success. Will they ? Probably not if new Chairman comes from current County Board gene pool.

Another interesting article by Anthony Hennigan in Western People where he focuses on Review of Mayo performance by Chairman \ County Board and effectively questions their willingness to do it in a meaningful or an effective manner. I agree with him nothing substantive will come of this review especially with Chairman heading out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

And what evidence do these Mayo GAA people give for concluding that LM did a bad job. From I can see, he seems to have stabilised Mayo GAA issues. Every year Mayo GAA were making headlines for something controversial - Holmes & Connolly, God knows have many articles were given to this Tim guy. For the past few years, that rubbish seems to have subsided a bit. And we have got to the last 2 All Ireland finals. I don't really know LM. I played football with him few times, and bump into him every couple of years. But I know he is mad about football. Would passionately talk football day and night. And is very dedicated to Mayo football. He had some role within the senior management team for few years - physio maybe??? Not sure about that one.

I don't know the ins and outs of what he has done, but from what I can see, he has done a very decent job in a no-win role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

If he is doing a good why is he leaving unless it's for crocker job.

It's an unpaid role that takes up a lot of time. He has to make a living and raise a family.

It was also an unpaid role that takes up a lot of time when he decided to run for chairman in 2019. You cannot use the excuse he did not know what he was getting himself into when he was already on the mayo gaa executive before he bacame chairman.....

I'm not making any excuses. I don't know him at all or the specific reasons he's stepping down, but he said it was for business and family reasons, which sounds reasonable to me.

• Advertisement

“Maybe Mayo GAA should sell off the senior team to a private individual \ group of individuals for a number of years as an experiment to see if this would deliver AI success.”

WOW

TOL thought that a big cheque entitled him to a big say in how the county board is run. It’s doesn’t. The GAA as a whole has structures in place on how county boards are run. TOL thought he should have a say in who was appointed senior manager and ran his mouth off when it wasn’t who he wanted. Drunk tweeting like a clown

Conditions on a loan are fine, holding the county board to ransom isn’t. That’s what I mean by Mayo GAA not being for sale. Still isn’t, despite your wish above.

And I’ve no doubt we run in different Mayo GAA circles, I’ll be in Breaffy next weekend watching Knockmore v Charlestown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Where did you get that quote about effectively privatising the Mayo senior team. Was it some joke article?

Sounds like Brolly on a wind up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's from a few posts back, the level of ignorance of how the GAA is actually structured and operates from some posters never ceases to amaze me

Fanofconnacht’s suggestion, literally jaw dropping

They think it’s Newcastle United they’re buying

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

In fairness, this is how many people view the gaa. Many see the county teams as the be all and end all and zero interest in the club's. All the controversy has been about the intercounty senior team but very little gets mentioned about the nuts and bolts of things such as boundaries for clubs, issue around amalgamations. Look at the issue around lacken not being able to fulfill championship fixtures and knock on effects to other teams in the group. How about clubs teams sitting on their hands for the better part of the summer with no meaningful games.

There have been a two tier system within the county for years, clubs are not the priority and this is what needs to change.

Afternoon Green and Red

i am still lost where you think Tim O'Leary held the Mayo County Board to ransom? He only asked how his money was going to be spent and the reply from the county board was that is none of your business. He did not ask for a place on the board and wanted NO control in any decision making though like many others who have done well for themselves he was happy to help if asked

Before the ill-timed (maybe planned) tweet #Horanout, TOL and James Horan had a falling out over James Horan failure to produce a €150,000 business plan required for additional funding for the team preparations AND TOL refused to issue a pre paid credit card with €35k. Their relationship was effectively terminated and this was confirmed by TOL pledging all the money and future money towards the academy.

Horan therefore had no need for TOL so it was only a matter of time until things blew up

FairPlay to him not keeping the money and giving it all away to local charities like Mindspace, Mayo and Roscommon Hospice.

Did you know that this year Mayo GAA have not being able to feed the boys form the academy after training sessions? Do you think James Horan cares? Not in the slightest. He convinced the MCB to increase his expenses to €60,000 per annum.

You are right about one thing - that is Mayo GAA cannot be bought and it is bigger than any one person and that includes James Horan, TOL and even AOS.

Please also consider this. Do you think it was appropriate that James Horan was fighting and arguing in the final quarter of the AI final with his selectors such that they all stormed off and sat in the stands with the players. Im the most important 20 mins of our season and with the game still there for the taking, our leader lost his cool and nerve when we needed him most. Comapare the mayo bench to the Tyrone bench who were working together as a team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone seen this before?

More of the same from TOL and Co. If No. 18 is referring to what I presume it is then it’s a particularly trampish question based on gossip and has no place on anything to do with Mayo GAA.

Other than that a fairly vile attack on Howley and AOS amongst others.

No. 13 is Ger Caff’s job AFAIK.

Not sure why the county board would need to be involved in where the team stayed. How would a review of the 1989 final would benefit Aidan Orme or Tommy Conroy?

Is this the kinda micro management that these crowd are proposing?

Any decent point he does make is lost amongst cheap shots and trampish comments

@Green&Red what evidence have you got that the questions are from TOL? It seems you have your bee in the bonnet about someone who walked away nearly 2 years ago and gave all his money to charity which are far more worthy clauses and if I am right quietly when he could have taken the MCB to court and caused more embarrassment

i personally don't think the questions needed to be ask because James Horan/MCB could easily have put most of the issues to bed by doing a podcast/interview with the Mayo News 2 weeks ago

whatever you may believe things are not that rosy at HQ - the chairman has resigned unexpectedly while the Conduct on the sidelines during the final needs to be reviewed.

Isnt a massive jump to get to TOL from here

So TOL set up a twitter account 4 years ago before he was even involved to attack the county board - NOT a hope

• Advertisement
Advertisement