Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Echo and the Sonnymen 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I hope Ole and Sk can turn it around but evidence results performances facts point to serious question marks about Ole at Utd and Kenny at Ireland

Post edited by Sonny678 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Your obsessed with Hughton - a poor mans big Sam

I will leave it there. Hopefully this is the beginning a turning point Kenny can save his job and we actually start beating proper teams and we improve Hopefully we can see improvement on todays performance. We need to.

Thanks for the insults

1 win in 13 competive games

2 wins in 17

Hughton did great job at Newcastle Norwich Brighton. Everyone in the game believes he did outstanding job at those 3 clubs.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Actually, a lot of your 'facts' about Chris Hughton's brand of football are opinions.

You can't say it was a 'fact' that he had Newcastle, Norwich and Brighton playing excellent football because for the most part, it wasn't that great plus he had a lot of reliance on big number 9 types like Andy Carroll, Grant Holt, Johan Elmander and Glenn Murray. Not exactly the hallmark for exciting football, is it?

Norwich and Brighton sacked him because, after good first seasons following promotion, he brought them backwards because he wasn't able to develop his ways or methods.

Newcastle he was hard done by, but when you look at how Norwich and Brighton regressed after solid first seasons post-promotion, it looks like Mike Ashley got that one right.

After his shambolic reign at Forest, I see no reason to believe he would improve this Ireland team.

He's regressed big time as a manager because he won't change his ways. It happened with Trap, it happened with MON and it happened with Mick McCarthy II. Look at everything I just posted and Hughton fits into that category and he'd be a regressive appointment for the future of Irish football.

I remember when John Toshack took over Wales years ago when they were all old and stale and they were missing a generation of players in that 21-27 year old bracket because they weren't developed. He came in, ripped it apart, started a rebuilding programme and was torn to shreds by the Welsh media and fans.

However, he gave a number of players their first proper go in a Wales jersey like Ramsey, Bale, Ledley etc and once he left, Gary Speed, Chris Coleman and Ryan Giggs/Robert Page are all benefitting from Toshack's work, which was a ballsy move to make in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Would a two line insult be more preferable to you because I'm sure that can be arranged

Thanks for your response. Allot of interesting points.

John Toshack had a great CV did a brillant job at Swansea. John Toshack managed at high level in England Spain and France. Toshack managed Real Madrid twice. He managed Real Madrid to the la Liga League title. He won league with Madrid with at time was record pts and goals. Toshack had world class CV.

Toshack rebuilt Wales but he managed Real Madrid twice and other clubs like Real Soceided. Wales were lucky to have manager who had experience of managing the most successful club in European football history. Toshack was deep thinker on the game and such a great CV Wales were lucky to have a manager of his quality to come in and rebuild. Ireland have never had successful manager at club level as goof as Toshack. Maybe O Connell with Barc in 30s but in last 80 years with exception of Frank Farrell at Utd in 70s, we haven't a manager like Toshack who managed Real Madrid twice.

• Advertisement

I'm only focusing on the 'negatives' because you're completely ignoring them?

He was a good coach at Spurs, but that's all he was, a coach. He wasn't the manager and he had very little input into the tactical side of the team, it was his job to coach them to implement it.

At Norwich, they had a good first season, you're right, and while that 11th place looks good on paper, the facts are (and the massive context required) they were only 8 points clear of relegation (only 13 points separated 8th and 18th) and they scored 41 goals - only Stoke (13th) and QPR (20th) scored less. The dazzling Grant Holt was their top scorer with a fantastic 8 goals. And I remember that season. They got some great wins but 'sparkling football' it was not. They then regressed under him because when Holt wasn't good enough, he replaced him with another brute in Elmander.

Brighton, yes he did a great job in steadying the ship. However, Brighton didn't want that, they had ambitions of consolidating their place among the Premier League and Hughton was never going to achieve that. Potter's brand of football is excessively different to that of Hughton, who was leading Brighton out with Glenn Murray and Leonardo Ulloa. Again, you speak about the 'sparkling' football he played, but there is literally no evidence of that anywhere other than the odd highlight real, which can make any manager look good. Just to look at their first Premier League season, against only 3 teams scored less goals than Brighton and they finished 7 points clear of relegation on 40 points. Great he kept them up, but he didn't build on it the second season and by the time he was sacked he had won 3 in 23, and wasn't looking like changing his ways.

No insults here, just facts and evidence to back up my opinion of Chris Hughton as a manager.

You cannot compare Stephen Kenny to John Toshack. Kenny managed Longford Town and outside LOI Dunfermline and Toshack managed Real Madrid twice led them to liga. Toshack had presence the CV the stature in the game where Welsh FA and supporters could believe in figure like Toshack.

I compared the respective rebuilding jobs they had/have to do, now you're blathering on about who they managed?

Both were divisive choices when appointed, both had to replace aging squads, both faced intense criticism from media and fans. What's so different in these scenarios? Nothing.

You've realised that your claim of 'sparkling' football played by Chris Hughton's teams doesn't stand up to scrutiny when hit with the facts, evidence and statistics, so now you're just making baseless claims and deflecting.

I admire a manager who is happy to see what's there in front of him and make changes, instead of being stubborn and stuck in his ways. The football we're playing has been the best in a long time. Direct doesn't mean dull, in fact if there is a purpose to it, it can be much nicer to watch. Ireland played some good stuff today and have done so all campaign.

The football Ireland has played is poor. Dreadful performances v Andorra Azerbaijan Luxembourg Bulgaria twice Wales Twice Finland twice England. Serbia should have scored 3 or 4 goals goals v us. What about games v Andorra or Luxembourg or Arizejabain at home all Dreadful. Finland twice Wales Bulgaria twice England Dreadful. We tried to defend whole second half v Portugal. Serbia outclassed us at the end was long balls and crosses to get goal like Arizejabain game. We haven't scored many well worked goals. Before tonight outside Andorra who shouldn't be international team, we only scored 1 well worked well goal that was v Slovakia. The others were headers from Egan Duffy. And Serbia own goals and Serbia messing up at the back. We scored tonight v Dreadful team. Who actually dominated possession and had many chances.

My argument is based on facts stats results. It's boring repetitive but it's the truth.

I have lost faith in the manager. I am entitled to have that believe and I am not the only one.

Yes you are, and your alternative is going back to the status quo of hoofball at a big number nine which is a backwards step.

I don’t have faith in Chris Hughton and I am entitled to that belief, and I am not the only one.

I never once said going back to hoof all. Never once. If you don't support Kenny your accused of wanting hoffball. That is unfair and untrue. Like everyone else I want Ireland to play good football and win games. But just like Paul McGrath Richard Dunne and many many Irish supporters I have lost faith in manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ah yes the tactical geniuses that are McGrath and Dunne. Both excellent players and servants but thats where it stops. Neither have any involvement in the game post their playing careers.

As for some of the other nonsense that you're copy and pasting in every post, well it's just that, nonsense. 'Serbia should have scored 3 or 4', but they didn't because we defended manfully and our keeper did very well, they are just facts.

You claim Azerbaijan 'had many chances' yesterday. They had one, maybe two, decent long range efforts which Bazunu saved well. Outside of that, nothing. We had more shots overall and more three more shots on target. Again, these are just facts.

You don't like Kenny, you don't have to, we can all see that. But you can't discredit him when we lose and also when we win. He's bringing through new talent where he can. As you well know and are obviously ignoring we do not have bundles of quality players available to pick from. It's a work in progress and most reasonable people are able to see and respect that.

Please don't copy and paste another of your posts as a reply.

• Advertisement

I have not copied any of my posts.

I like Kenny. I was happy when he got the job. But i just think a manager with 1 win 13 competitive games 2 wins in 17 games, is not equipped for the job. Dreadful football performances v Luxembourg Arizejabain Qatar Andorra Finland twice Bulgaria twice Wales Twice all some of the worst teams in Europe or worl. He is struggling terribly. Kenny has been a disaster. That's a fact. To support Kenny is blind faith. If he didn't win yesterday he was one defeat from the sack. Defeat yesterday would have been unacceptable. There needs to massive improvement if he gets the Euros.

Another thing anyone who criticised Kenny is always degraded. I have saw people saying terrible things about Giles Kerr McGrath Dunne all because they criticised kenny, a manager with worst record of any Irish manager ever. Also excuses there's always an excuse for kenny. If we get tough group in Euros it will be Kennys unlucky. The truth is Kenny is very lucky any other manager would have gone long time ago. If he had Ulster accent or English accent or Italian accent he would be gone long time ago.

People asking questions and criticising manager who has struggling in his job, is normal practice. When you don't win matchs at any level and only beat worst in your sport. You will face huge criticism. People who don't see that are the one being unreasonable. But the thing is Kenny is seen as saviour of Irish soccer, which has led to people ignoring facts and believing in blind faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Good win yesterday. Delighted for Kenny and the players. Sports are momentum based so it’ll be interesting to see how we go on from here. Continued development of Omobamideady (autocorrect), Bazunu, Idah and Ogbene is great to see. Knight to come back in too. There’s a lot to be optimistic about.

Jesus wept you're a broken record. You are copying and pasting as there's no other explanation for "Arizejabain" in one sentence and Azerbaijan in another.

"Defeat yesterday would have been unacceptable", we won, that's a fact.

Look I know us winning yesterday has really triggered you, you're upset. But maybe step away, go for a walk in the fresh air and things won't seem as bad. Enjoy your day.

First I have copied not one word. Not one word. I swear I haven't copied or pasted one word. I am writing this on Samsung phone. I don't even know how u can copy paste on Samsung phone.

We won yes we beat a team at the level of North Korea. That's up there with O Neill beating World Champions alright. Again Kenny is above criticism. Losing to Arizejabain was unacceptable. Now he needs to keep it up beat Qatar and Luxembourg Then starting beating team the better teams maybe a Wales or Scotland. Then maybe a strong team Switzerland Austria than maybe after that result v top teams German Italy. We are the very bottom with Kenny after 1 victory v one worst teams in Europe. Fighting to not finish last in the group or second last with the Mighty Luxembourg and a team at level of a Mozambique. We need to see massive massive improvements from here on. I am fully entitled to criticise currently worse manager in Irish soccer history. Instead all you get is insults. Cannot criticise the chosen one who will save Irish football. Kenny is not above criticism, as others might think.

I see Hamman rightly called out Kenny for spin after the game.

I.e., talking up a 1 defeat in 7 game run.

However, it's his first competitive win in 13 games.

Perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

A bit harsh from Didi leave the poor bo77ix enjoy his moment.

Team is improving slowly there are no other options in sacking Kenny-I would get hughton involved as assistant to replace Andrews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Regarding Toshack and what he did at Wales, I think people are ascribing skill to what in reality was luck. A few games of international football didn't make these players. It was their own individual ability combined with high-level club form. Having the likes of Bale, Ramsey, Ledley, Allen, etc. all come through at the same time was just one of those random freak occurrences than you get in international football. It's why Belgium are punching above their weight and ranked number 1 in the world, whereas the likes of Germany are in a relative slump and ranked 14.

To suggest that Kenny can "do a Toshack" is pretty disingenuous and sets him up for failure if you ask me. The 800lb gorilla in the room is that this still remains a very mediocre panel of players that we have available. I see the latest puff piece from balls.ie is describing Obgene as becoming a "key" player for us. I would love to be proven wrong, but history suggests that 24 year old League 1 players who aren't showing much at that level don't typically become key players for their country.

The cart cannot come before the horse. Unfortunately, even in the time of Kenny's reign, we've seen the level at which our players operate dip. Many of the older players have ended up dropping a division, but so few of the younger ones have been able to make a step up to compensate. People are deluding themselves if they think Kenny can have any impact on the standard of the players available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It's balls.ie, they've got to get their clicks somehow. I'd love if Chiedozie became a key player for us because it's great to see a lad you went and watched week in week out at club level playing for the national team. But last night I think Chiedozie showed he can be a good impact player for us but needs to start doing it at club level to become a regular starter for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

There seems to be a overwhelming consensus here that we've turned a corner, and that we are a much improved side from the same team that started out under Kenny 17 games ago. Although there have been some improvements, I think overall the performance last night was poor and that we still haven't grasped the basics.

Azerbaijan had 64% possession last night. I thought one of the main points of Kenny's philosophy was to stop this from happening, especially against inferior oppositions. Instead we gifted them so much time on the ball and rarely put them under pressure. They had time to push forward, pick out a pass, and unforgivably - time to shoot. Lessons weren't learned from the first time we played them when they scored with a peach of a goal from long range.

Azerbaijan made over 200 additional passes than we did with a higher completion rate. Again, weren't these type of statistics meant to change with the appointment of Kenny? On occasion last night we had the ball in the final third only to slowly pass it backwards into the center and then onto Bazunu who punted it long. It's certainly not as frequent as to how often it happened under O'Neill or McCarthy but it's still happening.

Squad selection remains an issue. Before the game Horgan and McClean's inclusion was a baffling one. Although I thought McClean did OK, Horgan again looked out of his depth and was rightfully substituted when he was. Hendrick again flatters to deceive with the question of what he offers this team still an unanswered one. I would like to think that had Knight been fit he would have started ahead of Hendrick, but who knows.

The result was pleasing last night. But massive amounts of work still need to be done, most of which should have been done by now. I'm delighted Kenny got his first competitive win but the jury is still out big time.

We were happy to concede possession and hit on the break as evidenced by his second half changes.

We were 2 up, there was no need for us to try and push hard when sitting off and letting them hit from miles out wasn't causing any undue harm. Bazunu had maybe two good saves in the game. Nothing major really.

People who criticize Kenny are saying we shouldn't be playing short it should be longer, more pragmatic. That's exactly what last night was and now ye are complaining about not keeping the ball enough.

I thought we were relatively comfortable all game. We kept them at arms length and took enough of our chances. You're not gonna 90 minutes without them having a chance or two but that's the same in any game. Last night was a perfectly decent away performance, scoring goals and getting three points. Can't ask for any more than that.

• Advertisement

Agree with this. I feel like the shackles were taken off the players yesterday. Instead of trying to keep the ball at all costs, they were encouraged to take more risks and be more adventurous. The number of passes and completion rate naturally fell and we did give the ball away cheaply at times, but we did also create a hat-full of high quality chances. What was also refreshing was the number and variety of opportunities that we created from open play, we got chances from balls being played wide, long, through the middle, Azerbaijan couldn't live with our unpredictability when going forward. The fact that we didn't even get our first corner until the 80 something minute meant we didn't need to rely on an Egan or Duffy header as we often did in the past.

It will be interesting to see how Kenny approaches the Qatar game, personally I am hoping for more of the same. Let's try to be an unpredictable team that doesn't fall into a style box. For a team with a mediocre panel of players, it's our best chance of success.

Possession stats mean nothing if the team with the ball does nothing with it.

That's exactly what Azerbaijan did with all the ball they had last night, a couple of pot shots from distance in the hope one of them might go in.

Even if you take all of the goals out of the equation, we created far more chances than they did. It should have been 5 or 6 last night, but our strikers finishing abilities are still there for all to see.

This includes Robinson btw. He played well and delighted for his two goals, but he should have had more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I really hope he treats the Qatar game like a friendly and tries out different tactics and players.

Too many Irish managers throwing out the A team to keep the stats up over the years.

Win lose or draw I really don't think a friendly against Qatar is worth the eventual hyperbole were are gonna get after the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Problem is that a defeat to Qatar would have the Kenny out crew back in full force

You reverse that possession and passes stats but the game finishes a draw and you'd have pages and pages of Kenny out. Yeah we went more direct tonight but we played to the conditions to avoid an Azeri high press on a **** pitch. Had we tried playing out from the back and coughed up a goal from a mistake because of the pitch we'd have pages of moaning.

Yeah the possession stat could have been a bit better but we ended up with Ogbene as our main hold up player in the second half and Hendrick was Hendrick. Idah was poor last night and gave away easy possession when we needed him to hold it up for us, and Hendrick was too slow in midfield. If we're to make 3-4-2-1 work then we need a hold up player that's playing regularly and more than just Josh Cullen for that midfield two position.

We created god knows how many chances last night and should have been 5-0 in the end. Our first time scoring three goals in a competitive game in exactly four years to the day and our first time in six years years winning a competitive game by three goals or more.

I'm expecting we'll line up in the same formation on Tuesday and if so we really need to see someone other than Idah as that link up player. Whether it's Parrott or Will Keane if he also wants his link up player to be someone that can be an outlet for direct balls as Parrott is more ball to feet link up player. Can see Jayson Molumby coming in for the game as he's supposedly in Dublin.

I'd go with more or less the same but make a couple of changes like give one of the other keepers a game or both a half each. Stevens for McClean would be the only change I'd make in defence to give him minutes. Molumby in for Hendrick if he's brought in, start McGrath and bring in either Parrott or Keane as the link up man. Qatar won't be treating this as a friendly and neither should we. Going into next month with two wins will do the squad the world of good and we'll have two friendlies next March to give plenty of fringe players playing time before the nations league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

'Keep the stats up' ???😯

How does Kenny have the luxury to treat any game as a training session???

Baffled by that comment -

1) Kenny has just won one competitive game in 17 games

2) Kenny badly needs this team to gain momentum, confidence, consistency, and some cohesiveness

3) Playing a weakened team against Qatar will kill any potential momentum - plus the last time Ireland played Qatar it was a 1-1 result

--

People will have the Portugal game written off and not expect anything from Ireland in that game.But Ireland could likely take a walloping

Thinking of it logically, if Kenny takes the Qatar game lightly it will likely mean another poor result. And doom and gloom going to the Portugal game, which they could get hammered in.

Then the pressure would really be on against Luxembourg. And it will be back to square one.

Just a reminder of what happened the last time Ireland played Luxembourg. Arguably the most embarrassing result in Irish football history

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Qatar isn't the free hit that other friendlies have been before. This isn't an Oman or New Zealand type friendly and will be looked at when Kenny's contract is up for renewal. When you've a team that's still getting to grips with a style and formation that's containing lads with a low number of caps momentum is everything. We should definitely be treating this as a qualifier because they'll be looking at it as a game to help build momentum for the world cup. Especially losing all their games so far against the top two seeds in the group.

Different players can be tried out in certain positions but the core of the team such as the back three, Doherty, Cullen, and Robinson should all be starting again from last night. Throw in Kelleher for Bazunu, Stevens for McClean, anybody for Hendrick, McGrath for Horgan, and possibly Parrott for Idah to give another link up player a run.

Definitely need to keep some players for the new ones to play around I agree. As for the result it really shouldn't matter unless it's a complete battering

Not sure I agree. We had a good result against Azerbaijan and this is the last game of the window. I'd like to see us stick with a similar team to try and create some momentum. I'd be happy enough with the same team, maybe just have Kelleher in for Bazunu simply because he needs to have more than 45 senior international minutes under his belt and bring Knight in for Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

100% agree keep playing the same lads where possible, unless there is injuries/serious lack of form or some real 'standout' player emerges.

Chopping and changing makes no sense. How many times have we heard people say does Kenny know his best eleven?? Is there tactical consistency in formation etc.

Keep the same lads playing together would be my idea and create a 'club mentality' for Ireland. That is how Irish teams work best. Everyone knowing their job, core group of players, structure etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Would like to see Parrott or Ogbene start. Idah looked shattered last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't see why Kelleher would get the nod. Travers is the number 2 No?

Should be plenty of opportunities next year for fringe players to see minutes. Two friendlies in March, and with the WC on in November there could be a good chance to get a training camp together to see out the year.

March definitely needs to see fringe players looked at because June is a big window with four games in 12 days. We've already seen the fitness issues which comes with three games in one window, and this one comes at the end of the season.

Between then and now though Travers has given him a lot to think about. I'd like to see both of them get a half each. Bazunu talked about how he may have to return to City sometime and train within the senior set up if he wants to push on for Citys no.1 jersey. Could be a good chance that Travers is the one playing games regularly next season if Bazunu doesn't leave on loan again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

After seeing the 2nd half of the France vs Spain game wouldn't it be amazing to get to that level.

Even with our great future prospects we won't get to those heights sadly imo.

We got close to that level for about 15 years. Firstly with a very forward thinking manager in Charlton who despite how it looked was ahead of his time with a pressing and work rate based game. We also had almost exclusive foreign access to English football

Off the back of that we produced our only truely world class youth team who almost feel like a dream now when you look at the teams they were putting it up to.

Definitely could get back to that level but it is a very long slow generational process. Best we can hope for in the near future is to qualify for the new bloated UEFA and FIFA tournaments. Another Stuttgart 88, Giants Stadium 94 or knocking the Dutch out of WC qualifying in 2002 is a long way off

• Advertisement

Vlahovic had just one decent chance which he converted. That fella is going to be on the move to a top club, he really does look the business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement