Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

An Irish “talent” manager. You see his name pop up in here and over in the ‘Late Late’ thread in the “Television” forum.

A lot of bees in bonnets over the number of people he manages getting, well paid, jobs or “appearances” on RTÉ.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Oh

I thought Noel Kelly had that gig sorted.

My bad my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Listened on Sunday. Dearbhla seems to be on point with all virtue signalling talking points. The question at what point do we resume normal life seemed to be entirely brushed aside. Too many people comfortable with never ending covid19 restrictions.

Well , a chara, qualified medical people are making those decisions.

Have you the medical qualifications to refute them.

No, sorry B, you’re right. It’s Kelly, not King. Confusing the name with the Irish soccer fella.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Aaahh, yes, Was thinking Kelly wouldn’t be bounced out too handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Looks like Beefy is back-and not a word about it.

I ended up with it on in the background this morning while I caught up with some work. Thankfully the mischievous little Mental Elf hasn't made an appearance yet, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Hardly any comments on this thread anymore. I really think people have tuned out of RTE. They took the older demographic for granted, the only demographic who listened in huge numbers, and alienated them by their constant platitudes about every topic under the sun.

Load of crud now.

Listening to Ballsy whining on a wedge of 240k is too much for most, I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm just wondering what BOC, Pat Kenny, Tubs and all will do when Covid isn't occupying half their shows come 2022?

I guess homelessness will become the topic of choice again.

Won’t be inflated wages, Man, rest assured on thaaaaat

The trio can milk the bejayzuz out of COVID well into 2023. For now sure they're grand.

Decent innings from O’Connor today. Great interview with Johnny Sexton and had some other interesting pieces throughout.

If there were any “dud points” I must have missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought Johnny Sexton was a good guest.

I enjoyed the interview and I'm not remotely interested in rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The amount of times BOC says "listen" is really annoying me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Considering the fact that BOC hasn't a breeze about sport ,it was a relatively decent interview

I think it was the third word out of him today.

These tossers on huge wedges paid for by the taxpayer need to be called out more.

Ballsy is annoying with this whining ‘Nooze’ and ‘listen’ .

Does any dumbo in the Pink Palace say “Ballsy…. Stop this listen crack…you are annoying people”

Time these tools were called out and told the truth from their listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Such a boring, boring interview with this air travel controller

radio off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Haha I knew when the guy went off on a tangent about his job at the first question that he was going to be a dose. BOC probably had the same feeling. The guy is in love with himself I'd say.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Yep.

Bang of the jobsworth off that contributer.

such boring fare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

O'Connor appears totally surprised about journalists phones being bugged!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

conor Lenihan ??? Really??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Fond memories of listening to 'Get an earful of this' as a teenager. Radio Luxemburg came a close second on my little transister.

Great to hear Rosaleen a very funny woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was there a misery/mental health/fitness/diet segment yet? Did he say "listen" at all?

Am listening to playback on BBC Sounds about niche podcasts. Great stuff, and the choice of topics from BBC overall is amazing and easy to search and find on the app.

RTE is samey, formulaic, and full of The Family of RTE wannabes. Can't stand it anymore.

Brendan giving her nothing back when she makes a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

It was a non-PC joke and Brendan was afraid to find it funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Coming up later after Brendan, women in the military and their stories of abuse at male superiors. Fcuk me is there no end to the victims queue at Donnybrook hq?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting they should stay silent and let the “boys be boys”?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I know it's a running joke on the thread now and I don't know if anyone would believe this but I was honestly in the kitchen making lunch and the radio hadn't been turned on at all today so far. I thought about switching on but thought ,"nah".

Then when eating lunch I though "ah sure ill stick it on while I eat this"

Switch on.

Ballsy and guest talking about grieving over the deaths of their siblings.

I've no right to complain or anything. The exact thing I thought would be discussed was being discussed.

It takes a fair bit of skill to turn an interview with the bould and manically upbeat Hector into a miseryfest, but Beefy managed it with gusto.

Could someone please explain why O'Connor was given this slot when Marian died? RTE have **** loads of staffers who could do it better and for a lot less money, Rachel English for example.

I’d say they were terrified Newstalk would “poach” him as a replacement for Ivan. Misreading the mood of the country just as they did when they took Ray D’Arcy away from Today FM.

I think Brendan has turned into a parody of himself. The repetitive words and phrasing (“listen”), the endless verbal apologia in case anyone is offended by a contributor’s comment (“we’re not suggesting everyone lives in a tree house”) and the brutal ending of an interview (Jenni Murray today, hastened off the airwaves).

I’m not sure what the programme is trying to be, but whatever it is, it ain’t making it.

Ever since the RTÉ payout to the homophobes, Brendan has been a slave to the RTÉ “balance”. As long as he gets thing balanced by the end of the show it is deemed a success.

Jesus wept. RTE sports hack (Greg Allen) at the Ryder Cup is blaming an animated crowd on Trump.

Seriously. What an absolute bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"... a lot of young people shouting at the radio right now."

I doubt there's too many"young people" listening to you, Brendan.

The mental elf slot again.

• Advertisement

And the world media is racist for reporting on the Petito case (courtesy of Sophie White, another unbiased contributor).

Beefy pondering why Friends hasn't been "cancelled" given how "unwoke" (paraphrasing) it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You'd wonder what it costs to send that lad and his team to the US....

and that Sophie wan, its amazing how they can find a "rasist" or misogyny angle in every story they cover, its a virus which has taken root in rte some time back, ah I miss Charles Mitchell telling us what happened and leaving us to make up our own minds like adults

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭CptMonkey

Show was fairly poor this morning. The economist saying the housing shortage isn’t a major issue 🙈

where do they find these people

Ballsy Sticking up for the Irish footballer who won't take the vaccine: it's a bad idea to harangue people like this!!!

Radio on

ex td john halligan

radio off

It's interesting that the late Marian Finucanes thread was 100 times busier than this one, even though that her work/show was pretty poor for well over a decade at the time of her death. The worst thing than being talked about is not being talked about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Did I hear the contributor Eileen / Ellen say that the banks were offering more money than they were comfortable to take?

• Advertisement

I’m a sales rep. Travel around a lot and talk to lots of people during my work day.

Anecdotally from talking to ppl on Mondays most of them never mention the show or him. I have brought it up a few times and the general vibe is “can’t stand Brendan o connor, hes sanctimonious, insincere, fake, etc etc”

for all her faults Finucane seemed to have more of a connection with the audience

Advertisement