Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Or..

Instead of a clean up the murder occurred somewhere else nearby and the body was carried to the spot and the blood spattered to show a different tale? She was light and easy to carry by a man or two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An interesting take but why not just disappear the body if you are going to move the body ... make it look like a cliff fall ... keystone cops rule it an accident.

Unless you had limited local knowledge maybe or the actual scene was very closeby so not moved with a vehicle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Carried to a spot where it would be noticed straight away by the next passerby?

Yes. That would work with the staging narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"I never heard this before that Bailey was seen driving towards Sophies by a friend of Jules - Can you post a link for where you seen this information. What time was he seen at?"

I'd say there's no link, but we'll wait and see.

The first reported sighting of Bailey on the Monday was by Shirley and that was after 2:00pm I believe.

Probably mixing up or making up.

I'd say there's no link to the "footage" of Bailey striding through live crime scene either.

There is a photo of him several days after the murder walking up towards Sophie's house,

by which time every Tom, Dick and Harry had been up there.

Again probably mixing up or making up.

If there are credible links I'll stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Whatever about his attempts at writing poetry, Montague was far from impressed by his attempts at gardening.

What is Bailey knowledgeable about or has he achieved anything in life that could distinguish him from the community of peasants - no doubt he regards them as such - among which he chose to settle? Nothing! He is a failed journalist, writer and (would be) academic. A complete spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

To be fair, he is not a failed journalist, and he does have a good education.

If it weren't for the murder accusation he would still probably be a journalist for a tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You haven't allowed for my use of quotation marks, I was referring to the community's possible perception of him considering himself better than them (communities hate that kind of thing). Is he better than them? - I don't know

Well, let's say he was not a particularly distinguished member of the fourth estate, a provincial hack. He chucked it in for what he must have regarded as a superior lifestyle - an unemployed hippie in West Cork. Although, it may have been convenient for him to "escape" given that he was facing charges of assault on his own wife at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think you are wrong on both comments you made. Bailey was still a journalist at the time of the murder and never chucked it in to become a hippy. He also wasnt facing or never was facing any charges for assault of his wife - in fact his wife said he was never violent towards her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Is anything known about John?

Gemma claims he is a good looking bent copper who was an alcoholic and rustled cattle? There has to be a million story's about his antics in the locality. Is this the stuff that they always say the locals know more???

"The officer at the centre of these claims, who is now deceased, was a notoriously violent person and a sexual predator infamous for having affairs with women, particularly foreigners. A married man who was strikingly handsome, he was a rampant alcoholic who is described as having abused his power whenever he could. One local portrayed him as being “crooked as a ram’s horn”.

He was known for rustling cattle and sheep from farmers who had committed minor offences and he was in a position to blackmail. He also drove a blue Ford car.

It is believed the officer may have come into contact with du Plantier because of her fears about drug-dealing in the countryside close to her. Some in the area claim he had a sexual encounter with the French woman, whose love-life was complicated and fraught, but that he was subsequently rejected by her."

Although, it may have been convenient for him to "escape" given that he was facing charges of assault on his own wife at the time

So have you just made that up then?

I can't provide you with any credible links to provide you with proof of the allegations I made. Then again, Is there any proof that they are not true. I am repeating things I have heard previously. If they are inaccurate, fine. I don't hate Bailey and would not derive sadistic pleasure by seeing him punished but, at this stage, I am convinced of his guilt. Given his large ego, I believe not even a death bed confession will be forthcoming. He will never admit it and the case will never be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

After reading most of this thread and watching the Sheridan documentary, I still cannot see any one of the people mentioned on here having enough motive to carry out such a killing.

An interesting tangent was the link to drugs which most know were being smuggled in close to Schull at that time and indeed one of the biggest smugglers in Europe was based in Kinsale in 1996.

Did Sophie actually see something she should not have seen, the lack of forensics would point to a professional clean up which international drug smugglers would be fairly good at.

Maybe this is going off in a tangent but Johnny Morrissey had no problem making people disappear that were a danger to himself and his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very easy to be convinced of his guilt when you give credence to allegations you have no credible source for, and repeat with weasel words like "Is there any proof they are not true?"

Where have I heard phrases like that before? Anytime anyone's trying to sell a fake story.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

In Limerick city in 2002 a 40-year-old man armed with a knife managed to make his way into the hallway of a shared house where he lay in wait for one of the occupants to give him a fright supposedly. A 22-year-old came home from work and while entering his apartment the knifer's phone rang alerting him to his presence. These two people had never met each other yet the younger man was stabbed in the side and had his throat cut. Murdered for no reason with no motive.

Look how breezily he shrugs this off ; "If they are inaccurate, fine."

This person is not to be taken seriously

I expect there was evidence of some form found in that case, no professional clean up?

Wrong place at the wrong time, maybe something similar happened Sophie, I recall Barry Galvin mentioning West Cork was the gateway for drugs into Europe in the early nineties.

Drugs seem to be intertwined in the case, Gardai paying a person to give evidence with drugs, A Judge giving a suspended sentence to someone with more than 13K of drugs, its possible she saw one of Morrisseys shipments being landed and had to be dealt with, everything about this case is crazy.

A lot of strange things regarding West Cork, drugs and Gardai happened in 1996....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/urlingford-operation-to-catch-drug-traffickers-red-handed-lacked-the-crucial-sting-in-its-tail-1.34052?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Furlingford-operation-to-catch-drug-traffickers-red-handed-lacked-the-crucial-sting-in-its-tail-1.34052

• Advertisement

13 tons?

That'll be 4 for the growers ,

4 for the Cork lads,

4 for the Dubs,

and 1 for the books.

It would make you wonder if the drugs would ever have been found if Customs had not got involved, it seems the guards were big into importing narcotics in the pretext of sting operations during the nineties, there was also the Griffin episode in Dublin where the Gardai had facilitated the importation of drugs into the state and another episode in Cork where drugs were also imported as a sting to catch Corks biggest dealer at the time, given the professional clean up in Schull, you would have to wonder if Bailey was the patsy in a cover up that went straight to the top, I think The Penguins close relative was in the Dail at the time.

Bailey is literally the perfect patsy. He must be the most guilty innocent person ever.

You'd also have to imagine Maria and Chris Farrell we're involved in the drug smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

What is the next step for Bailey?

I suspect the Irish Government will have placated the French by pushing for a resolution in the murder case.

We don't want Bailey being shipped over to France, to be tried and condemned within a matter of weeks, something that the Irish couldn't do in twenty five years..

The recent activities suggests that the game is a foot.

Several new witnesses have come forward with written statements that cast doubt over Bailey's claims of innocence. Your man that said Jules Thomas told him she washed Bailey's bloody clothes, and the two French friends of Sofie that claim she told them she was meeting a strange poet in Ireland..

It's looking very likely that there is a push to expedite the investigation, driven by both the Irish and French Governments.

I'm sure I read somewhere too, that Ireland being part of the EU has to turn over Bailey if requested by the French (don't take this as accurate, I recall there was several legal arguments pending the legality of this??)

But overall, I think Bailey's future is looking grim. The very fact that the French Prime Minister was talking about giving Bailey another trial in France is significant, and more so that our own Government didn't contradict him.

I guess both men discussed Bailey in private, and a deal was made to either ramp up the pressure here (more witness statements), or close whatever legal loophole was open preventing Bailey being shipped off to France.

This story is far from over yet.

Mossad have been know to send over snatch teams for suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

So you think the DPP is infallible then? That`s gas. I thought that was only the pope, me being a fundamentalist Christian and all. A new fundamental religion there then. The Holy DPP`s first, second and third letters to the Deluded. By the way, I have read the DPP reports several times. There is a bizarre irony there that someone who thinks a DPP is infallible, would mock people who are religious.

For information purposes however, as you have previously labelled me, I should say that I am not a Christian fundamentalist. I am more closely aligned to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. My mother would have been so happy if you were right though. One less lost soul to pray for.

Yet again you show an innate inability to weigh up the facts that are in front of you and come to a logical conclusion. One would think that your determination to pin it all on Alfie because the evidence can be "imagined", is akin to believing there is a deity up there somewhere above the clouds pulling on all our puppet strings.

Hey, there you are back, our little runaway. What's it been, maybe two days? There were some difficult questions, maybe I was too hard on you.

I have noticed that, although rarely, buried in the rubbish that you consider reason, there may be a chink of light that means you shouldn't be dismissed as a lost (soul) cause. You may yet be redeemed and accepted among the ranks of sensible people. It is this line that is almost like a cry for help;

"By the way, I have read the DPP reports several times." You make no further comment on the contents as I'm sure it must have been traumatic to have the bottom fall out of your world so you may well be in denial. It is very obvious that the more people familiarise themselves with this case the more they realise that Ian Bailey has been deeply wronged. If you can't see it you have serious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Disposing of a body is always difficult in any crime scene as there is the possibility of creating further traces. The problem would have arisen that the Guard in question would have had blood all over the interior of the fiesta. I would also suggest that if the Guard did it, he may have shown up at Sophie's house some time before midnight. He then had ample time to go back to the house, to look for any incriminating notes, about possible drug activities going on in the area, Sophie was observing. I would also believe that Sophie will most likely have confided in others about her observations on drug trafficking in the area. Is it known how many people she'd spoken to about drug trafficking?

I would suggest that any woman who was sleeping around, would have heard about this man's reputation. Sophie also would have followed some kind of routine when picking out her partners in bed. In the end, she wants brief fun, not meeting her death. So I suppose that Sophie would have been very careful when she met the Guard that night. Thus, I'd say that any advances by him will most certainly have been met with rejection by Sophie. Sophie would also have known that she couldn't exactly trust that particular Guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mossie

I'm pretty sure Ireland doesn't have to hand over anyone for trial in another EU country for an offence that occurred in Ireland. If they had to then the courts would have been unable to stop the extradition. The "legal loophole", as you put it, was the fact that the DPP had previously ruled there was insufficient evidence to send Bailey for trial here so the same applied when France requested his extradition so not actually a loophole at all. There may well have been agreement to try to find new evidence / information but that "loophole" cannot and should not be closed given it could be abused in other cases.

I don't know if Bailey is guilty or not and I certainly have no time for him but he is entitled to the same protection from the law as anybody else and if new evidence is found he should be tried here not in France.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement