Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One of the irish women was on an Argon 18 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dan's last race day on a bike just starting on Eurosport/GCN now.

May be a 3rd weekend in a row where ive sat and watched a race from start to finish!

Do they usually show the full race for Lombardi?

I don't recall them having it from the start before. Eurosport rarely have full races, there's always tennis or ski jumping or something to be shown first before joining the cycling. Must be that time of year when there is nothing else on!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Really should do something more productive today than watching all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nonsense :) Having some of this new breed of cyclists in races makes it even harder not to. It's like Homer complaining to Marge that the little guy hasn't done anything yet and when he does you know it's going to be good.

Landa is looking rough these days. He's had no luck in the last 3 years now with crashes and injury. He looked great at Burgos earlier in the summer, best he'd looked for since 2017 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oh that looked a hard landing for Cosnefroy. Looked to have hit the wall with his shoulder/head. Thankfully had the mind to just sit down and not try for the bike after walking up and down for a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

That Froome wave to the camera is getting familiar.

• Advertisement

A very dull race so far hoping the racing picks up soon.

Expect something to happen when they catch this break.

Remco getting dropped.

Pog on the move

Time to look away while they descend this one.

Go Masnada !!!

JVs JV needed to burn himself in that chase. No excuse when you have 2 riders in the chase

• Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is that all folks until next spring or any interesting races left in the calendar?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Paris Tours tomorrow which as been a decent race in the last few years with the route through the vineyards. Then a couple of Italian races next week, one is a race that hasn't been run in a few years and is part of a series of events in the area. As part of that they have a gravel race on Friday but I can't see if it's being shown on ES/GCN they have a few pro teams on board to do it. 126km of which 110km will be on gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Leaving aside the amazing drama of PR last week, have to say that the finale of Paris-Tours was one of the best races of the year; amazing racing through the vineyards and what a spectacular finish

• Advertisement

Yeah a fun watch. Happy for Demare. Had a tough year.

I love it when Demare actually goes racing.

Think you’ll see more of that next year similar to Cobrelli this year.

Catching up on the CX now which we'll have to make do with for the next few months. I'll have it on but it can be a bit too much like formula 1 on bikes a lot of the time. There are some traditionally great races which never fail to disappoint but there are many races where he who gets to the front on lap 1 stays in front.

That said the races this evening were great. Also great to see Maria Larkin in her national champs jersey racing.

EDIT: Vos was riding a Cervelo for that race, last season herself and WvA had Jumbo Visma logo's on their bikes as Cervelo don't have a CX bike and were probably on Bianchi ones. Wonder is that the first look at a Cervelo CX????? Off to a great start if so.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I'm wondering if Jan-Willem is okay?

He was behaving very oddly after the Madison win at the Euros, hyperactive and shaking, and a lot of people there were very obviously worried about him.

If you can, watch the last 15 minutes or so of the GCN/Eurosport coverage of Day 5 to see what I'm talking about. The cameras cut away from the holding area behind the podium where the medal winners were assembled before the ceremonies and we just saw a general wide view of the centre arena. Concerned race officials and Netherlands team members milled about and paramedics hurried to the scene. After a while, the commentators told us there wasn't time to show the podium ceremony and the transmission ended.

The only news source I can find on it is Sporza, in Dutch:

Google Translate or the like will give a decent gist of the content.

They have a video there of the podium ceremony, which is only making me more concerned for Jan-Willem.

Could be anything really from physical pain to over exertion to something more serious.

We have seen riders need oxygen and stuff before

Didn't get time to watch the men's CX race tonight but Vos vs Brand was quite a race in proper CX weather. This was the same course that will be used in the worlds in January.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RAS na mBan highlight on Eurosport at 5.30 for anyone who hadn't seen them

• Advertisement

Good result for Darren Rafferty in France today, 2nd at Chronos des Nations MJ ITT.

Think he's off to race with Hagens Berman Axeon next year.

Advertisement