Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You'll be limited the same as everyone else would be?

On the carbon that would be the states plan all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭straight

No, my neighbour is allowed 5 cows/ha. I will be limited to 2.3. Biggest problem I have is compact calving and high EBI cows producing over 6300 litres. He has rough looking British Friesians and stock bulls and an outside block of land for silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

One would assume he is taking vast majority of slurry back to that block. Understand what you are saying but the rules are the same for all of us, our own personal situations are what make it different. May be hard to get but you could contract rear and or get ground for silage and or replacements as well. I'll be capped at 2.3 whole farms as well and looking at what I can do to manage it.

I'll be grand. The point I'm making is how long are they going to be kicking the ball down the road and pushing pointless sh1t like moving water troughs and the likes instead of tackling the real cause. I'm keeping an eye out for a second block to buy locally but I won't overpay for it.

I see China are restarting coal plants instead of phucking their country. Their green vibes weren't long fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

So you’ll buy a second block but keep cow numbers the same as currently on milk block?

• Advertisement

Ya, about a cow to the acre. It would just take the pressure off. I sell alot of surplus replacements as calves and would like to sell them older. Plenty flying herds out there. Would consider keeping cull cows for it too. I'm also thinking of just buying like 10 acres or so to grow maize. I could buy that further away like.

Don’t see what your issue is with the new nitrates is then?

your not intending to stock much higher

we’re paying for every acre we’re farming atm, can’t run any lower of an Sr if I want to pay myself, mother/ father , cap ex and loans

need them all working as much as possible

Won't improve water quality and so we will go around and around and around again.

Completely disagree

Why do you believe sr is causing water quality issues?

were In derogation and following all the rules with storage requirements and spreading

guys not in dero don’t have to be as compliant

if spreading out of season was properly inforced by the dept it would solve a lot of water quality issues coming from farming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭green daries

Nitrate over loading on the grazing block is a large part of the problems

• Advertisement

Non compliance is definitely also a contributing factor and I agree that the non derogation farmer is probably a bigger culprit than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Looking at the latest water quality report there from the summer, the issues arise form areas with greater production. The east and the south. The issues with nitrates tend to be within the catchment areas south Leinster and east Munster. Higher stocking rates and tillage ground tends to lead to this.

I can see greater field margins going to be required in these areas as a filter. Stocking rate limits, and the greater uses of the 3 crop rule with tillage.

As farmers we have to adapt our business to the conditions that are outside of our control, we do it daily with the weather and growth. Cap and the greens are going to force the agenda and this will see a reduction in fertiliser used, limits to sr, especially to the milking platform, longer closed season, and potentially an end to dero

Each to their own on how the decide to comply, for some it might be taking more ground, others it might be a reduction in stock, some other it might be leave the industry.

The agenda of environmental change is set, and while we might not like it, we are not going to turn this tanker around. It will be fighting to find some half way ground will be key. Times of great change lead to times of great opportunities.

Well they have done nothing yet to limit the milking platform stocking rate yet and we could end up losing derogation over that yet. Times of great change lead to times of great hardship more than opportunities it seems.

No such evidence to prove that

teagasc have done work on it

if you return majority of slurry to support ground it’s the same as being stocked at 2.5 if you’ve all your land around the yard

EXACTLY. Teagasc say there is no problem with 5 cows/Ha on the milking platform. How long before they change their mind on that. They are getting very difficult to take seriously at this stage. EBI is out the window now with them, cow of the future is their latest thing. 500kg cow, bla, bla, bla.

Can’t say I know anyone at 5 cows /ha

we’re at 3.8 cows but consistently growing 15t of grass to do so

Teagasc have done a lot of good work for the Irish farmer and I’ve benefited a lot from there advice

IMO I farm responsiblly, follow all the guidelines/rules. yes I could reduce Chemical N a bit, am planning to do so

spread 250kg N/ha this year between slurry and bought N

ive a high ebi cow and very happy with them, heading for 560 kgs of ms this year and never picked a bull on litres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What's the ratio of bagged n on milking block versus outblock, another point re your slurry going out on outblock, are you spreading compounds like 18:6:12 on grazing block heavily to account for mining of your p's and k's....

Slurry while a issue its the bagged stuff leaching of heavily fertilized milking blocks that's doing the most harm especially on free draining soils, river system down stream of us, is one of the worst in the country, 1000's of cows been milked along its Bank over a few miles of it, teagasc couldn't really explain away the above with following their best practice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Tegasc have done a lot of good but they’ve drove us here ,they drove dairy expansion ,drove early n drove 80/100 units n before April ,drove loading on cows first and shur worry about things like housing and slurry storage later on etc they were the driver of proposed n bands ….blinkered vision and one track advice ….too late to table with clovers and there overestimating what it’ll do away from clonakilty ….solohead is not a wet farm ….constant drainage and money threw at it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

As I said before you still have lads horsing out over 100 units of nitrogen for first cut silage. We'd be lucky here to have any fertiliser out anywhere by paddy's day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ah how many are following teagasc advice.in our area every one has their system to suit their circumstances. Are ye really saying people do whatever teagasc say,people are following the money that's what they are and if there was money in alpacas they d have them and wouldn't give one damn what teagasc say.for every teagasc posterboy there's 20 more lads doing their own thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ginger22

this water quality story is only bullshit propaganda, we have the second best water quality in Europe

We spread 200u N /ac on out block for silage over 3 cuts and a grazing for heifers

it got 5 k gallons of slurry between 2 spreadings then

yes spreading Ps and Ks on milk block to account for off takes

haven’t soil tested in 4 years, testing this December so we’ll see if I’ve been putting enough back or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Have they actually done work on it or is it just laurence shalloo did a few back of the envelope calculations which dont necessarily reflect the real world

They had a slide up on the webinar teagasc and the dept had over the new nitrates bands

jack Nolan concurred with the results

if you’re returning all your nutrients evenly across your farming area there’s no issue with high stocking rates on one block unless they’re way and above a reasonable level

if they go to limit milking platform stocking rates they’ll make a lot of small dairy farms unviable

Agree re sr and spreading slurry between blocks …there should be no issue …maby there should be a requirement to soil test yearly to get a very clear picture ….I’m still not buying Tegasc efforts re the bands …all in house ,no input from the vast range of experts outside of them …they were hardly going to go against what they’ve been shoving for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Real interesting side bar to the whole clover sh**te their going to start shovelling now and they themselves have researched this and printed papers, on high molybdenum soils in wetter areas like the Midlands etc going in with clover on these farms is beyond stupidity, below link on their own work on the subject....

Their generic one farming system fits all bulls**t is getting tiring at this stage, and the poor gobshites not following their preachings are system drift junkies

I'd say if teagasc told jack that black was white he'd believe them. I wouldn't say he knows much of the reality of farming. Is he back from Brussels yet. I believe he's over there trying to secure derogation for 4 more years.

I've heard Jack and others say that farmers will deliver. We know that because they've always delivered and they'll continue to do so. Well - I wouldn't be so sure that will be possible. Putting the wives out to work and taking on second jobs is all that's keeping the beef guys going. Dairy men can't take on a second job or at least I can't anyway.

Everyone must do their own business but I'd be doing my figures based on losing derogation and limited MP stocking rates going forward. Few guys I know are selling their entitlements already. They're looking for 2.5 times the payment.

It sounds appealing ..having chat with accountant about it and what implications tax wise it’ll have …on paper sounds like a plan and if your no where near a river and are complient as regards having enough storage etc well what can anyone do ….

It’s in the back of my mind too but then you look at New Zealand with no payments from government and they’re being made comply

I don’t know if it’s as easy as no sfp and farm as you wish

• Advertisement

The storage ,spreading with less spreading dates etc I’ve zero issue with ,proposed bands and how it’ll affect my income is my worry ,flogging off the entitlements and all that comes with it would nearly make it worth while

Advertisement