Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

The cynic in me is thinking that the uk government will push this as far as they can, then announcing that they've no choice but to let go of NI in order to save themselves.

Its increasingly looking like the only rational explanation. Either that or they are simply stupid buffoons, which I doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

Johnson et al may appear to encourage this "buffoon" act, but extremely shrewd operators and I am of the same thinking as you. Make NI Irelands problem, sever the limb that is bleeding them annually and blame the EU. Win on all fronts and stir up the 'bulldog spirit' of old; UK again the Gerries all over again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that they are, in fact, stupid buffoons. It is either that or they are manically focused on short term domestic gain with the remotest concern for the long term viability of their own country. Which, ultimately, basically just makes them buffoons again.

The idea that Johnson is "shrewd" is utterly laughable. This is the man who resigned from cabinet over a deal "no PM could ever agree to" before agreeing to it himself and then through his intransigence and unwillingness to engage with the deal he himself championed has caused untold suffering on his own citizens. All this before the worst of it has even hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

He resigned but where did he end up after it all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,647 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I can't see how the EU court would have nothing to do with it since these are EU rules and, in the event of a dispute, who but the EU court can authoritatively determine whether they have been broken or not?

The argy-bargy over the jurisdiction of the EU court to determine questions of EU law looks confected to me. The Brexiters original excuse for attempting to resile from what the agreement the UK made in the Withdrawal Agreement was that they hadn't expected the EU to be "so inflexible" in the interpretation and application of the agreement. But that won't wash for the clause giving the EU court jurisdiction; the EU has never invoked it, so nobody can say that they have been aggressive, inflexible, unreasonable etc in their application or operation of the clause. And the jurisdiction of the EU court doesn't come as a suprise to anybody; it was absolutely explicit in the deal that the UK freely negotiated, signed, ratified and enacting into law. So, if the UK persists in making this an issue, they cannot say that they are responding to the EU's inflexibility or unreasonableness; they are seeking to have the Withdrawal Agreement renegotiated for no better reason than that they have unilaterally and for no obvious reason changed their minds about what they agreed to.

This is telling because it shows that, on the one hand, the UK demands that the compromise, move towards the UK position, etc, etc, and, on the other hand, whene the EU does show signs of moving towards the UK position the UK walks backwards, distancing itself from the EU, adopting a new and more extreme position.

I think this is one of the weaknesses inherent in Brexitism. Brexit has never really been about a positive view of the UK, which is why Brexiters have never been able to agree on what Brexit should be - an inability that has crippled the UK throughout the Brexit process. Instead, it has largely been reactionary; Brexiters hate and fear the EU and Brexit is about (a) damaging the EU or (b) distancing the UK from the EU (or (c) both). But the fatal flaw here is that any Brexit terms to which the EU will agree is, by definition, not True Brexit™; if the EU agrees to it it is obviously not damaging to the EU, or not as damaging as it could be, plus it aligns the UK and the EU on something; neither of these is an acceptable outcome to the True Brexiteer. Hence, if the EU ever looks like moving towards a position that the UK holds, the UK must immediately leave that position and take up a new one, further off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That sounds more like the wishful thinking in you than the cynic in you ?

This is a really interesting conversation on Twitter initiated by a Law Lecturer, Newcastle University, and Senior Research Analyst, House of Commons Library

Various opinions being exchanged honestly and demonstrating that there are significant challenges and risks for both Eu and Uk and good reason for unionists not to just roll over

(sorry can’t seem to change font on my phone)

https://mobile.twitter.com/sylviademars/status/1447126574122377217

From the eu

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2017/596828/IPOL_STU%282017%29596828_EN.pdf

“It is possible to implement a Customs and Border solution that meets the requirements of the EU Customs legislation (Union Customs Code) and procedures, with expected post-Brexit volumes of cross-border people and goods, if using a combination of international standards, global best practices and state-of-the-art technology upgraded to a Smart Border 2.0 or similar solution.”

Well, that's not actually "from the EU"; The European Parliament commissioned it, but it's from Lars Karlsson, an independent expert. He'd be outraged at your libellous suggest that what he wrote was simply parrotting the views of the EU. They're his views, not the EU's. That's what "independent' means.

More to the point, he's not saying that there doesn't need to be a border. He's saying that, if you do have a border, here's how you might do it.

Presumably, if you think that that's tantamount to not having a border at all, you'd be happy if Karlsson's proposals were applied to check and control NI-GB trade? If so, problem solved (if you can get Lord Frost to agree with you). If not, then you can hardly put forward Karlsson's proposals for application to NI-RoI trade and pretend that they would be tantamount to not having a border.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Ddi you read this thread all the way to the end, Downcow? Its conclusion is this:

"In sum, the EU is in a really difficult/disadvantaged position on the Protocol. But if the UK tries to exploit that, the EU will basically sit on the UK until it cries 'mercy'."

The gist if it is that, if the UK walks away from the agreement it has made, that will be painful for the EU and there are no options which are easy for the EU that will be effective to put manners on the UK. But the options which are open to the EU that will be effective to put manners on the UK are extremely painful to the UK,

In other words, if the UK provokes a trade war, it could get nasty. But it's likely to be a lot nastier for the UK than it is for the EU. Therefore, the UK is playing a very high-stakes game here.

• Advertisement

Yes I read it all. And I expected some here to cherry pick what suited them. High stakes game for everyone and yes potentially slightly higher for Uk. They need to hold their nerve as simple common sense approach will remove risks for all so it’s a no brainier.

it’s like we have to fighter jets and the Eu has a slightly bigger one. Should we have a dog fight on the basis the Eu one is more likely to shoot down the Uk one but high risks of both crashing or should we land the planes and negotiate.

The problem is that the Uk "holding its nerve" and the UK displaying "simple common sense" are not the same thing. There's a Brexiter article of faith that the UK acting psychotic gets the EU to make concessions, and therefore the UK should continue to act psychotic. But the UK acting psychotic is pretty much the opposite of the UK displaying simple common sense.

Simple common sense would involve the the UK trying to make a success of the deal that it negotiated, hailed as a triumph, secured a general election mandate for, signed, ratified and enacted into law. They should hold their nerve and implement that deal, instead of trying to pander to the looney wing of the Tory party and their DUP lickspittles. They should display simple common sense and make use of the mechanisms built into the deal to negotiate improved implementation instead of casting around for new reasons to run shrieking like a demented banshee from any approach by the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You have to ask where all the histrionic sham war talk has gotten the UK - a few proposals on easing the Protocol. Whoop de whoop.

Yes — and where easing was always available, and was expressly provided for in the Protocol itself.

Brexit cheerleaders will claim that, as a result of all the performative psychosis, the UK will now get a better deal, more generous easements, from the EU than would have been the case if they had simply engaged with the process straight off. Such a claim is impossible to improve or disprove. But we should reflect that exactly this claim was made in relation to the shenanigans the UK engaged in before they agreed the WA, and the wonderful concession they won through those shenanigans is the very NIP that they now denounce as unacceptable and not fit for purpose. So, on their own evidence, the track record of the performative psychosis strategy is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭KildareP

Your last paragraph sums up the attitude of the UK and in particular the likes of the DUP.

The seamless "I can't believe it's technically a border!" border solution - seamless, that is, once it is kept dry.

Almost as amusing as the "trusted trader" concept - yes, because the way out of this mess is to suddenly take the UK at their word when they say "just trust us".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

I have no doubt that the UK is acting in bad faith. Unfortunately, the Eu must accept, until it is proven otherwise, that the UK is attempting to negotiate a solution.

< Quoting is very difficult on this new forum>

Perigrinous wrote

"They should hold their nerve and implement that deal, instead of trying to pander to the looney wing of the Tory party and their DUP lickspittles. They should display simple common sense and make use of the mechanisms built into the deal to negotiate improved implementation instead of casting around for new reasons to run shrieking like a demented banshee from any approach by the EU"

FrancieBrady wrote

"You have to ask where all the histrionic sham war talk has gotten the UK - a few proposals on easing the Protocol. Whoop de whoop."

Perigrinous wrote

"Brexit cheerleaders will claim that, as a result of all the performative psychosis, the UK will now get a better deal, more generous easements, from the EU than would have been the case if they had simply engaged with the process straight off. Such a claim is impossible to improve or disprove"

By pandering to the UK though, the EU is probably going too far in trying to get a solution. We understand that Sefcovic has been working on proposals for months now. which will be rejected and the UK will create another red line, i.e. The role of the court. The message to the UK though is that your histrionics are working and we respond by spending huge resources pandering to your whims.. Coveney's twitter storm doesn't help. Frost must be delighted that his position is getting such reaction. And Coveney repeating conversations with Sefcovic ( on RTE this morning) does not do anything to help Selcovic in his job. Perhaps someone should take Coveney's phone from him! ( He scuppered the backstop by taking to making a premature announcement too. Is he afraid he might get be sidelined by an agreement)

I imagine EU patience must be running thin. It would make sense, if the new concessions are not agreed by the UK, that the EU move to put a border in Ireland, impose targeted sanctions on UK and wait . Ofcourse Irealnd would argue for more time but at this time it is hard to see how

Speculation in UK media in tha past few weeks would suggest that Johnson would be happy to ditch Frost and make an agreement. But Johnson will also be aware of the potential for more anti EU rhetoric that Frost can provide. The EU, and the Irish government, need to convince Johnson that Frosts behaviour will get no where. And that includes not having a Twitter war of words with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

outline this solution as the only one I know of is a land border. you NEED checks somewhere.

i think the solution you are after is dont have a brexit. Too late for that one. your people voted for it. ledyou into a blind alley and now instead of questioning the kind of leadership you have, you are whinging and complaining about something Unionism asked for.

Im glad the world is getting to see what unionists are really like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Coveney most definitely did not "scupper the backstop" in any way, shape or form. That was an entirely domestic political death in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

I can't see how tip-toeing around the UK makes sense. I'd prefer our Foreign Minister to call the UK out on their nonsense at times like this, where it will be reported in international news, and not worry about "provoking" the UK. They are bullies and appeasing them by allowing their nonsense to go unchallenged only encourages them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

The UK intention is obviously the complete step by step dismantling of the protocol by attrition. I would say Frost is thinking once any kind of concession is achieved the floodgates of possibility will open and bit by bit it's taken apart instead of all at once, which would be too bitter a pill to swallow.

Since the beginning the EU has gone out of its way to treat the NI question as sensitively as possible and to not threaten the UK directly in order to preserve harmony and relations but the way things are going now I only see this being resolved by a race to the bottom. They talk about article 16 this and that. I say let them do it, let them feel the full force and consequence of their actions, trade war and all. It's literally like a war, you go into it with a heavy heart knowing there is no other way. This can't go on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

She is a long distance from her competence (not international trade) and makes some bold assertions at the start based on her understanding of international law. Without even knowing, asserting that "not checking on one border is fine" seems to underestimate how trade works. Moreover she fails to understand what "hurting means" - I mean, possible reputational issues of access to the EU market vs the EU states actually sanctioning the UK. The EU has not even applied many of the rules under the trade deal and UK supply chains are collapsing. Imagine what would happen if the EU states tried. There is little or no comparison here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I suppose it (appeasement) makes sense for "us" (Ireland, Irish govt.) because we will get hurt, and god knows what happens to NI when these efforts by the EU to placate the UK finally run into a wall. The time and energy spent on it by the EU is depressing though as it seems to be just a dance or choreography that has to be gone through. I do pity those poor EU civil servants busy coming up with proposals and plans to get the Great British sausages where they are needed, and then they get shat on by Lord Frost via the Tory "noise machine" before they even really see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

This stuff is actually painful. The Unionists are actually incredible on this, the UK shaft them at literally every junction yet they still hang on to their coat tails like a child hanging on to their mother hoping they will make everything alright.

I'd say at this stage, Boris could sh*te on the lot of them and the DUP would blame it on the fact he had a curry in a dodgy restaurant down south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Post-Brexit Trade on the islands of Great Britain and Ireland : lose-lose, win-lose, win-win?

The trade figures released by the CSO show a striking change in post-Brexit trade patterns between the Republic of Ireland on the one hand and Northern Ireland and Great Britain on the other: The value of exports in goods from Ireland to Great Britain increased by 20% during the first six months of 2021 compared to the first six months of 2020, while its exports to Northern Ireland increased even by 43%. Conversely, Great British exports to Ireland decreased by 32% (see table 4).

Looking at the trade figures by product group provides further clues about the impact of Brexit had on East-West and North-South trade on the islands of Great Britain and Ireland. A first category of products shows a lose-lose pattern. Food and live animals fall into that category: Exports from GB to the Republic declined by a staggering 50.42% and exports from Ireland to GB declined too, albeit only by 6.89% compared to the first six months of 2020.

Most sectors, however, show a win-lose pattern, i.e. Irish exports have increased while British exports have decreased. This is the case regarding products such as beverages and tobacco (Irish exports to GB increasing 22.43%, while British exports to the Republic of Ireland decreased by 31.82%). Similar win-lose patterns can be observed for crude materials, chemicals and manufactured goods of all sorts. Across all categories, excluding commodities, Ireland has seen a 19.70% increase in exports to GB, while GB has seen its exports to Ireland plummet by 29.85%.

The only type of product where the picture is rosier from a British perspective concerns mineral fuels and lubricants. Here, British exports have increased 13.82%, although Irish exports to GB have increased by more in percentage terms (19.42%). This is the only win-win product category in bilateral trade, and most likely driven mainly by oil price rather than increased export activity.

What’s in it for NI?

Contrary to Great Britain, Northern Ireland is currently one of the post-Brexit trade winners. The CSO’s figures show that Northern Irish exports to the republic increased by a staggering 78% between January and June 2021, compared to the same period in 2020 (Table 4 here).

https://encompass-europe.com/comment/post-brexit-trade-patterns-an-opportunity-for-northern-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Part of me wants a hard border back in Ireland, the north would be at the arse-end of a very strained supply chain and would lose seamless access to the EU. In short order the north would be economically crippled by a combination of Brexit, being on the periphery of borked supply chains, and Tory austerity. Meanwhile the rest of the country continues to grow and prosper, those in the north can be vote to end their pain, and we can have all-Ireland sovereignty and the ending of British misrule once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Ironically it seems the Unionist parties up there would rather starve with Mainland Britain in solidarity then look out for their own people. Being British takes precedence over absolutely anything, so this would be seen as a win by the likes of the DUP and unionist activists such as Jamie Bryson as the like. Although, I suspect the DUP talk out of both sides of their mouth, they say alot to try and appease the loyalist paramilitary mob who see any kind of concession as surrender. DUP have no interest in educating working class/borderline poverty areas in Belfast, it suits them to keep them stubborn and uninformed of the wider picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

The flaw in your reasoning is that you assume he is not a hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don’t like that logic at all. You are assuming that somehow a collapsed economy north of our border wouldn’t effect those of us south of the border. A strained or collapsed economy would bring back the criminal element in vast numbers. I’m under no illusion at all that Boris would happily chuck NI under a wheel to get his own way. The NI politicians, in my opinion, were handed a golden goose at the time (straddling both GB and EU markets) by Theresa May and decided to crush it. As I recall, most of NI businesses and farmers were quite happy with the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Part of me wants it, the mischievous '**** this shit' part of me. But no, I will try to rise above it all and hope that we can save Unionists from their instinctive hatred of us, which is the one thing that supersedes their 'Britishness'.

• Advertisement

Morality aside, the tactic of encouraging NI back into a united Ireland through systematic economic punishment beatings is not likely to work.

Advertisement