Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

No I went to him first as I heard that diabetics were having trouble getting mortgage protection during the pandemic. My last couple of blood readings weren't great but he knew which one to apply for to get the best chance. I dunno what else he can do for you but give him a call and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Is a survey a requirement . I got word my buyer was to sign contracts yesterday and was doing so without a survey. Previous perspective buyer had a survey and nothing found so expecting no issues anyway.

however I have heard nothing yet how long from them signing to me having to do my sign over

if using their own cash, a buyer is under no obligation to have a survey. I am sure that their solicitor would advise it, but at the end of the day a buyer can do what they like with their own money. It’s the bank that requires it if the buyer is borrowing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bank doesn’t require a survey. They don’t see the report

They require a valuation but that’s separate

I think one should be done but it’s definitely not a requirement for a mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

A survey isn't required, but it's generally highly recommended, since any issues with the house become the buyer's problem once the sale is done ("buyer beware" is the expectation, so they won't have any recourse if the house is later found to have problems).

Separate to a survey, if they are getting a mortgage the bank will insist upon a valuation report, which basically just checks out that the house is actually worth what they're lending for it, and that if the borrower defaults then they'll be able to clear the debt. This is usually a lot less in-depth than a full survey, and will look at how much neighbouring property has been going for as well, since that will indicate how easy it would be to sell. If the buyer is paying for it in full they won't have this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

It can depend on the house also, my recent mortgage application with BOI required a survey as the house was over 100 years old. There didn't seem to be a requirement for houses newer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

second this I have Haemochromatosis and they were great, was able to get insurance from the back without a loading in the end as I had letters from consultant and nurse to say all was OK and I was responding to treatment,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So an update, feels like months since I posted in this thread but I just got sick of the whole house buying process and anything to do with it!

We're finally sale agreed on a purchase in a lovely area we used to live in years ago. We were first in line as soon it was listed for sale and got a first day viewing. Made an offer 10k over asking and got the property for 25k over. Not bad considering the last biddings we were in went to 60k+ over asking before we opted out. When you're seeing properties selling (and verified as selling on the PPR) for 75-100k over asking, it's crazy time.

Our current property is on the market, few viewings mix of families and investors, no offers yet but EA is optimistic given the market conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

From what I've seen on the FTB Facebook groups, yes. They really seem to fight for their clients.

• Advertisement

Alright, I'll give them a try then anyway and see if there's anything they can do for us. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Unfortunately it seems like Lion also cannot do much to help with this 😔 I've spoken to them and they've said that they can't do anything for the four insurers we've already applied with, and that the fifth one they deal with (New Ireland) tend to be even stricter than those others. Worth a try anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

That is **** news. Get on to the bank for a waiver is your only option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mahebleh

I see the insurers they check are " life insurance cover from Aviva, Irish Life, New Ireland, Royal London or Zurich Life". We got recommended trying laya life and got cover after Irish Life took ages reviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Just wondering what is "reinstatement value"?

I had evaluation done on property I am buying and evaluation report states: "reinstatement value": The Value mentioned was 71.3% of the total purchase price.

Does this mean that property is over-priced or what?

I did a quick google on the term "reinstatement value" and it means rebuilding from scratch? So I guess 28.7% is the land value of the cost of purchase?

Is that right or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

It's the cost to rebuild from scratch. You need it to apply for home insurance. The bank will need to see this value on your policy schedule before they will let you drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Advice greatly appreciated:

I've found a house and agreed with the owner on a price. I'm using a broker to get a mortgage.

I've been employed continously without a break for several years. In May I was made redundant but started a new job in September.

Will the bank frown upon me being on social assistance for 3 months? Is it better to wait a few months so I have enough payslips from this new job to cover the period the banks need to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Are you on probation or full time? If it's probation you're out of luck unfortunately.

The lender (in general it seems) needs to see your three most recent payslips, a salary cert from your employer and 6 months worth of bank statements from every account you have (including the likes of revolut etc.) all this aswell as your ability to repay a mortgage in those 6 months (savings/proof of rent)

I'm on probation for another 5 months but I don't think that's a barrier to getting approval. There would just be a requirement to be full time before I can draw down.

I have savings and all the rest. The redundancy is the only blemish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

While it's not a barrier to approval, bank generally won't let you drawdown while on probation. You may be able to get an excerption depending on your field.

• Advertisement

But is the gap in payslips an issue? I'd have one for September, then the next 2 would be from May and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

It depends on the bank. Bank of Ireland issued our approval in principle without my husbands payslips but had a condition that they would need to see them prior to issuing offer letter. He had just changed jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I don't think it would be, but talk to your broker - that's what he's there for.

As mentioned, being on probation in a new role may be of more significance, but if you're only Sale Agreed at the moment, you'd most likely be off probation by the time drawdown comes around. If not, you can have your solicitor slow down the sale to buy you some time (until you're fully permanent). You're employment history and profession would also come into it. If you're jumping jobs every 9 months it would be a problem. But being made redundant then getting a new job wouldn't be an issue (as it was out of your hands).

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but you need to talk to your broker.

Did you manage to get cover from Laya? Taking a look at their form, they seem to be a bit different in how it works, but are still asking the same general health questions as the others, which leads me to think they could just end up denying the same as the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mahebleh

Yep we got cover within a day, depends on what question comes up needing extra info I guess but worth a shot trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A couple who are good friends of mine have asked me to go to viewings with them because i saved them a fortune on hidden costs after buying on a house they were lookign at a couple of weeks ago.

Ive gone to 3 viewings with them last week. Really enjoyinh it thoug. But the smugness of the EAs is very annoying. Also the lies out of them.

In 2 of the houses I asked about the broadband. One said oh there is fiber on the road. I put the eircode into the checker and nothing. Offering only 4G.

EA pretends then they dont know what im talking about.

In the other one she said "oh the broadband is fantastic here. Its 4bits." I said is there any chance it will be upgraded to 6 bits soon and she says "I heard they were doing that next year". Put in the address and no fixed line BB there either.

This couple both want to work from home.

I asked could I connect to the router to check the speed and have always been refused.

And thats not even going into the building issues. Like one saying the house has been dry lined and the attic insulated. I check the walls and they are block.

I guess i shouldnt be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

tbf no homeowner is gonna want some randomer hooking into their router, of course an EA is going to refuse that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I looked at one a couple of years ago and all the broadband details were left bedide the router.

They had set up a guest account and all you did was connect with your phone and do a speed test.

They had also left details of the packages available , who they were available with and the cost.

I dont think people understand how important fast broadband is already and it will become even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Agreed that's a nice thing to do, and I can see how it helps a motivated seller! But I'm not gonna act surprised when an EA doesn't let me hook into their router in the same way I don't expect to be let have a shower or adjust the settings on their boiler

• Advertisement

I gave them a try but unfortunately they also gave a swift refusal of cover for the same condition :/ It's so strange, because the condition itself is not fatal or debilitating in any way, and is easy to manage. The advisor from Lion said that when you have something that is on the rarer side, insurers spook more easily though, and don't feel comfortable insuring against it, and this one occurs in less than 1% of the population.

Advertisement