Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no citizenship test?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,887 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I get the point you are trying to make.

But the rules of the road should always be followed as it is a safety issue - practical. Whereas a Citizenship 'test' is more intangible. I mean when you think of it Jack Charlton was made an 'honorary' Irish citizen. Yet I doubt he knew the number of counties in the ROI. Would he have known the difference between the Seanad and the Dail? And did it matter?

It reminds me of a bit I read in a book about Charlton. He was at a function for Murphy's stout.

He gets up and says "I like the Irish people and the Guinness is great."

There was shuffling and murmurs in the room. Someone said to him - "Jack, it's Murphy's"

So Jack corrects himself "I mean Murphy's Guinness"

--

Citizenship tests are overrated and not really needed IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So they wouldn't fail, because citizens wouldn't have to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In countries that have a citizenship test as part of their naturalisation process, nobody ever fails it - or, at least, its vanishingly rare for anyone to fail it. They give you the material you need to study in advance; it's basic stuff and not difficult to master. So the point of these tests is not to reduce the number of people who are naturalised.

Nor is it to deter people who harbour "Un-Irish" (or whatever) opinions or values. You're not required to affirm that you believe what's in the citizenship test; just to show that you understand it. And, even if you were required to affirm a belief in it, that's a belief that it would be easy to fake.

No, the idea behind these tests is that they are supposed to be helpful to the people being naturalised; the information is supposed to be actually useful to them, and to be information that they might not otherwise readily pick up, since everyone else takes it for granted and it's not often explicitly discussed or formally taught.

Whether it is any use to naturalised citizens or not is another matter, but that's the idea, and that's how citizenship tests should be evaluated. Therefore if you want to know whether citizenship tests are any use, the best way is to look to other countries that have citizenship tests for naturalisation and to talk to naturalised citizens about whether it was any use to them.

I took the Australian citizenship test. It was no use to me. On the other hand, it was no burden to me.

Perhaps there is an epidemic of foreigners coming to Ireland who don't speak any English, but considering it is by far the most spoken global language and I have rarely come across anyone below the age of 50 who doesn't speak at least some (and often very good) English, I somewhat doubt it is a massive problem.

Again with the extremes. A epidemic of foreigners. Massive problem. In any case, how could you know since many of these people wouldn't be part of your social circle, or part of your work? It doesn't have to be a massive problem now, but a problem for the future, considering the steady increase per decade of immigration patterns and where those immigrants are coming from. As I said earlier, they could be carried by their partner. In many Muslim families, especially those of poorer or more traditional backgrounds, you wouldn't be meeting their wives, because you're not a member of their family. That's simple truth... and Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, with large concentrations in Africa, and the M.East, from which a significant group of immigrants to Ireland come from. Traditionally, most immigration to Ireland has come from Eastern Europe where the learning of English was mandatory for most countries, but the demographics are shifting towards other continents, where English isn't as widely appreciated.

And the point I made earlier is whether someone had enough English to work in an environment where English is the language used. Having the basics of English, where you can ask for something in a shop, is not the same as being able to be employed where English is necessary.

Acknowledging the cases raised here aside, they are clearly massively minority cases. The idea of reams of people coming over who can't speak a word of English who are getting citizenship is clearly nonsense.

And again with the "cant speak a word of English". So, you've disregarded my response to you, just so you can dismiss the concerns once again. Nothing to see here. Move on swiftly.

I have no problem with a language test for citizenship, but I just do not remotely believe it is anything close to a big deal.

Nor will it be a big deal until it is one, and there is an established resistance to changing it. When there is sufficient population for people to live and work while using a language other than English or Irish, then it will be extremely difficult to force or encourage people to use English instead. That's already happened in other European countries, but naturally, it will be different here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The biggest risk currently of any single people having the ability to live their daily lives speaking only their native language is surely that of the Polish and they don't need to take a citizenship test to live and work here indefinitely.

So a citizenship test will do nothing to alleviate your fears.

Oh no Klaz the polish are coming.....

• Advertisement

According to this article, the US version has questions on the number of voting members in the House of Representatives, and on the Louisiana Purchase — neither sound especially useful for newly-naturalized citizens. And while it’s probably not very taxing if you’ve studied, the failure is not insignificant at 10%.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/us-citizenship-quiz-trnd/index.html

It amuses me that the whole reason for the citizenship test for a lot of posters is not the 'citizenship test' itself but competency in the English language.

Given that Irish is supposed to be the first official language of the state. Wouldn't it make more sense to make Irish language competence a prerequisite?

Also you could have a regular retest of all citizens Irish language competency in order to retain citizenship - a sort of Irish language NCT.

It would include citizen's born are reared in the ROI and those Irish citizens born outside Ireland.

At least it would have a more practical purpose than just English! As citizenship tests are supposed to be based on the culture of a country and make citizens a more 'engaged' citizen?

Except, for many Irish people the Irish language has never been part of modern Irish culture, except on the sidelines. English is the language that is used. I've never encountered a situation where I needed the Irish language, except when spending time in the gaeltacht, but most Irish people never have to do deal with that.

The perspective on having English for immigrants relates to integration/assimilation, as opposed to encouraging the enclave mentality that is common in other European countries where migrant groups congregate to live and work, and therefore have little need to learn the native language or involve themselves with the native population except for the most basic of interactions.

The intent behind needing English for citizenship would be to make a start on avoiding the mistakes other European nations have made with immigration.

Now, if the Irish language had any real practical use for the average person, I could understand your pov, but it doesn't. For most people I know, English is the primary language in Ireland, and the Irish language has no importance.

That is not the point though is it? The Irish language is supposed to be a key part to Irish culture. 1.7m people have some Irish. Plus from the bits I read about citizenship tests in America and reading comments from posters (who sat such tests in other countries) they were not exactly useful/needed. But it was supposedly culturally based.

So it seems a bit hypocritical of you to call for an English language test, but baulk an an Irish language one IMO.

-

Personally I do not see a need for an Irish citizenship test. But if we did create one. It would be a great opportunity to give the Irish language more a focal point IMO. For many it is currently out of sight and out of mind.

That is not the point though is it? The Irish language is supposed to be a key part to Irish culture. 

Beyond a few Irish speakers, some wealthy types and politicians, I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone pushing the Irish language as being a key part to Irish culture.

1.7m people have some Irish.

Yup... a lot like those immigrants with some English. Scattered words, and a few phrases, but little real ability to formulate easily understandable sentences, or engage in any dedicated type of conversation.

I grew up speaking Irish and English together. We spoke Irish in the house after school, and it was a part of our lives right up until the leaving cert... and then it just faded away in usage. Everyone around us was speaking English, and there was no need for it in education or work. Now... my Irish ability is pretty weak. Oh, after extended periods with family based in the West of Ireland, I tend to remember quite a bit, but it's still not much, when considering the range of vocabulary/grammar needed to use a language in any kind of formal sense.

So it seems a bit hypocritical of you to call for an English language test, but baulk an an Irish language one IMO.

You're showing a lack of understanding of what it would mean to be hypocritical then... because at no point have I raised the importance of the Irish language, and have, in fact, pointed out the importance of the English language in Ireland... for formal and work situations in particular.

It just goes to show the small amount of attention you've given to what I've written.

Personally I do not see a need for an Irish citizenship test. But if we did create one. It would be a great opportunity to give the Irish language more a focal point IMO. For many it is currently out of sight and out of mind.

Until the Irish language gains some importance for the average person in terms of daily living and employment, it will continue to be largely irrelevant. An Irish citizen test is not going to change that.

Again, as I said before, the citizenship test in regards to the English language, would be an indication towards the desire for integration/assimilation. Having the same requirement for the Irish language would do nothing to encourage integration/assimilation, because very few Irish people use the Irish language on a daily basis. It simply doesn't have any importance within modern Irish culture from a practical perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have no objection to a certain level of English forming part of the requirements for citizenship.

But it's citizenship we're talking about here, not immigration, and there has been quite a lot of conflation of the two.

Making citizenship harder to acquire will have a pretty limited impact on immigration, and integration/assimilation or lack thereof of people living in Ireland without Irish citizenship

How about the 17k undocumented/illegal migrants who the politicians would like to extend citizenship to?

It makes sense to talk about citizenship and immigration together because that's where things have moved towards. In the past, that wasn't the case (at least after the birth citizenship referendum), but it's becoming, once more, something to be linked together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The plan does not involve 'extending citizenship to' 17k undocumented/illegal migrants. It involves making them legal residents, so they can access the (legal) labour market, and, in the words of the plan, 'begin the path to citizenship'. It doesn't do anything other than turn the Uzbekistani who is residing here illegally into an Uzbekistani who is residing here legally, just like his Polish next-door neighbour. They are then both on the same 'path to citizenship' through naturalisation that the Pole was already on, should they choose to go down that path.

Now, you can argue the rights and wrongs of that scheme to regularise the residency rights of undocument/illegal migrants - I'm not in favour of it myself. But it's an immigration issue, not a citizenship issue.

It's only connected to citizenship by the fact that a 'path to citizenship' actually exists for legal migrants.

Advertisement