Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭obi604

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its 40 a month with Pure for 1Gb for 12 months and they give free install and activation too. Only goes to 79 after a year and you can switch then

If you go with pure or eir or whoever offers a free install.......and after the 14 days cooling off, you are not happy and cancel, will they then change you for the install. Presume they won’t remove a new ONT box anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Tried to get Vodafone but they can't lay down they can't lay down the wires in our flat. There's an existing virgin media set up so that woudo be easy to get up and running but I'm hardly paying €65pm for some broadband.

Does anyone know if puretelecom or anything can use the virgin media wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Tried to get Vodafone but they can't lay down they can't lay down the wires in our flat. There's an existing virgin media set up so that woudo be easy to get up and running but I'm hardly paying €65pm for some broadband.

Does anyone know if puretelecom or anything can use the virgin media wiring?

Nope. Virgin Media are out on their own with no sharing. Loads of networks piggyback off either eir's copper and fibre network or vodafone's fibre SIRO network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

daraghwal wrote: »
    Nope. Virgin Media are out on their own with no sharing. Loads of networks piggyback off either eir's copper and fibre network or vodafone's fibre SIRO network.

Ah balls! I'll have to go with their €40 for 12 months deal then get rid of them if they don't give us another discount after the 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

oldmantime wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking for some advice for broadband, eircom is doing it's customary thing where it knocks off astonishingly regularly and they are about as much use a chocolate teapot when it comes to fixing it so I'm going to move providers, the 2 options I can see at the minute are digiweb metro and vodafone (seeing as I'd like to get unlimited anytime national calls as well). Any information on the contention ratio/reliability of these providers?

Hello. I can tell you about Digiweb's Metro, as I had it here in Naas for several years and I had no issues with it. Broadband speeds and phone service were good. It uses wireless technology (a small radio on your roof which feeds into a modem/router inside). So no phone line required.

If you opt for the Freedom package you get unlimited calls to Ireland & UK landlines & mobiles and up to 30mb broadband. See weblink below.

https://digiweb.ie/metro-broadband/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imagine have a sign up at the end of my rural road, saying superfast broadband is coming soon.

Currently I get 20meg via wireless. We are not in a fibre area.

I called them and gave my Eircode and they said I should be capable of getting the full 150meg speed.
    I would be worried about signing a contract to a service which I know little about.

Has anyone any thoughts on Imagine as a company? Are they likely to give me 150meg for 1 week, then drop it off like many of the other providers, with no comeback on my part?

Any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imagine have a sign up at the end of my rural road, saying superfast broadband is coming soon.

I called them and gave my Eircode and they said I should be capable of getting the full 150meg speed.
    I would be worried about signing a contract to a service which I know little about.

Has anyone any thoughts on Imagine as a company? Are they likely to give me 150meg for 1 week, then drop it off like many of the other providers, with no comeback on my part?

Any thoughts welcome.

review the dedicated thread to them on this forum

tread carefully :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

NIMAN wrote: »

Any thoughts welcome.

I had looked at them before and was worried about the fact the 14 day cooling off period starts when you sign. Not after the install and the install date was going to be longer than 14 days which mean i'd have no cooling off period which is complete nonsense.

From what I've heard is it starts out ok when there's not many users on the "masts". Things go south once a few users are up and running on it apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Does anyone have a direct link or phone number for cancellation of an Eir broadband package / account? couldn't find anything on the Eir website and their Chat is turned off.

thanking you :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

01-7662699 is their support number, not sure if there is a direct cancellation department number though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 hada87

Hi all - moving soon and basically have an option of Virgin for either 500mb at €51/pm or 250mb at €40/pm. It will just be me and the wife - I work from home 2 / 3 days a week (so plenty of Zooms!) and we stream quite a bit.

The techy bit of me wants to pay for the 500mb, but interested in hearing people's thoughts on the suitability of 250mb. Wouldn't be a massive saving, but a saving nonetheless as will be going for Sky separately for TV so it's a bit more expensive when not in a bundle. Also, don't seem to have any other options for high speed broadband out in Glasthule (Sky, Pure Telecom etc are offering me 10mb/15mb!!).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

hada87 wrote: »
    Hi all - moving soon and basically have an option of Virgin for either 500mb at €51/pm or 250mb at €40/pm. It will just be me and the wife - I work from home 2 / 3 days a week (so plenty of Zooms!) and we stream quite a bit.

The techy bit of me wants to pay for the 500mb, but interested in hearing people's thoughts on the suitability of 250mb. Wouldn't be a massive saving, but a saving nonetheless as will be going for Sky separately for TV so it's a bit more expensive when not in a bundle. Also, don't seem to have any other options for high speed broadband out in Glasthule (Sky, Pure Telecom etc are offering me 10mb/15mb!!).

Thanks.

250meg will be perfectly fine for most users. For instance my wife and I both worked from home just fine on 30megs... save the 11euro you can always upgrade later if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hi all,
    Is there any such thing as a short term broadband/rolling contract these days?
    I remember back in the day in college we used to have those dongles things but they don't seem to exist anymore for good or for bad :D

My current situation is I am am paying for eir at the reduced rate of 30e/month but this is going up to 70 in july, which I am loathe to pay as it barely works as is! However, we should ne moving out of our current accommodation in october to our new build which will have fibre installed, so I'm really just need something to tide us over until then. Partner works from home at moment so has to be somewhat decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Magnet do fixed no contract at 42 a month?

https://www.magnet.ie/residential/products/fatpipe-24/

Or you could as you suggested do mobile broadband, LTE can be pretty good depending on where you are... you could get your OWN modem from Amazon and just get a cheap sim only SIM card from someone like 48 Months or the like and use that... dont go into contract with one of the mobile crowds..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used a Three sim card and an LTE router for a month, and it was actually quite good. €30 a month, no limit and no fixed contract.

Depends on where you are based, but if you get a decent signal, its more then usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Had an eir sales guy around recently offering 500MB for €40 a month two year contract, is eir any good, I asked him about the support reputation but he said they've improved (maybe :rolleyes:)

I'm currently on Virgin 250MB for €59 a month, North Kildare, what do you guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Had an eir sales guy around recently offering 500MB for €40 a month two year contract, is eir any good, I asked him about the support reputation but he said they've improved (maybe :rolleyes:)

I'm currently on Virgin 250MB for €59 a month, North Kildare, what do you guys reckon?

Eir's network is rock solid.

Because of that you don't have to deal with their support very much.

Eir every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BopNiblets wrote: »

Please please please dont order from the door to door folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Folks, to save me reading back over 60 pages, can I pick your brains?

I'm with Virgin, in Dublin, on 360mb broadband. Over the last few months all my devices (firestick, sky, xbox, tablet) will have moments where they can't connect to the network and so I have issues streaming, buffering etc. The router is 5 feet from the devices so it's not an issue with distance. I am out of contract so can switch to whoever I want.

That said - is there a consensus for what is the fastest and most reliable broadband available at the mo? I've read good things about Eir but have always had such bad service whenever dealing with them, it gives me pause. I had a trial with sky about 7 or 8 years ago and it was terrible so I won't go with them. I don't know much about the others in the market. I have also considered just threatening to cancel with Virgin and trying to get a cheap or free upgrade to their 1gb service as perhaps the new modem would not have the same issues I am having with the current on.

Anyone have any advice, pointers or experiences to share with me?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 31 running_away

Hi, this has probably been asked before but couldn't find it...

Can I order a SIM from 48/GoMo pay monthly etc stick it in an old router and use this for mobile broadband at home?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Hi all. Time to switch FTTH BBand after 12 months with Sky. Don't want to go back to Eir, what are Vodfone like for service and how good is their router. Found eir router slightly better than sky's but not much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

so im up for renewal again with virgin media. i use broadband only and costing me 63 euro a month currently. (too expensive)

i called them and the best offer they can give me is 30 for 6 months then 60 for 6 months for 250MB for 12 month contract. im getting maybe 35 upload and 8 download (not great)

i called EIR ands theyre saying 100Mb fiber for 30 a month for 12 months..is this too good to be true?

Anyone any experience with this package?

i live in hartstown, dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hey folks.

A question I hope some of the wise old heads here can help with?

Currently with Sky on the 500mb fibre deal and coming to the end of my minimum contract.

Planning on moving providers to take advantage of the one big switch deal.

I have a query on the porting process? Is the ONT replaced? Or is it just a matter of forwarding the ONT serial # to the new provider and then service/billing switches automatically?

Is there a need to confirm cancellation? Or is it similar to mobile service in that a port request counts as cancellation?

Just bought a rural gaff, and put down my deposit for Starlink. May take a bit longer than promised so stop gap with Fastcom for a few months. Was reassuring that even the Fastcom installer admitted that Starlink will be a gamechanger….that he’s seen the industry data and can confirm the performance as it has been in the US. Can’t wait until the rollout in my area, should be later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would Starlink be better than FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

no chance, but its better than most other alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just to close out my own question if anyone poses similar.

Porting is still handled via UAN and the port request from your new operator ceases billing and generates final bill with your current operator. With the very important exception of moves to or from Virgin Media. Leaving VM you will have to submit canx request, and joining VM you will have to submit canx to current provider.

My initial choice for provider was Vodafone, submitted my port request via Bonkers and had a call back only to find that they wouldn't accept N26 as a payment option over the phone, only Irish accounts. This is IMO a breach of EU banking rules, but VF are satisfied that because they accept EU IBANs in store, that they satisfy requirements.

So cancelled that port and I'm currently waiting on pure telecom to give me a call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I've left VM a few months now as I wasn't willing to pay what they were asking for a broadband connection. I've recently applied to Sky for €35 a month but when the engineer called out to do the installation he told me he'd have start cutting a tree on the road to get the cable to the house from the fibre box across the road. My question is, if I was to go with Vodafone instead, would they be using the same box so would I have the same installation issue with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

If I'd only I'd read the last page of this thread before posting I'd have realised that by posting here I'd just be adding to the long list of people on this thread who never get someone to answer their question. Even the guy above me had to answer his own question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Hi folks

Quick query hoping those with more knowledge in this area can help. I am currently with Eir, living in Terenure. I'm paying for up to 100MB, however the broadband is very slow. Speed tests show a max of 11MB download. I contacted Eir and they said that the max I can get on my line is 12 MB due to the distance of my house from the local cabinet. They also said that no matter what provider I go with it will be the same. Is that correct? I am stuck with 12MB?

Thank you

Advertisement