Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf- How tough is it?! Can you break 100/90/80?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you can't really say its all about the short game either

If you play better in one area and the same in the others you will more than likely score better

The good players aren't chipping on from close in unless they made a mistake

They are hitting the green with medium irons and 2 putting

its all about consistent ball striking and hitting your distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

It was really cold and foggy yesterday and my irons were not travelling at all. It took me 5-6 holes to firmly commit to playing a club extra to account for this. Hitting your distance is right and it simplified all too often.

Plus I am finding that the rough with morning dew and being left to grow up is really tough at the moment, which again makes clubbing really hard. Found myself using a 6-iron (160yds normally) from 135 yards yesterday from the rough and being the right club.

Same with putting, distance control more important than accuracy for that first longer putt

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Don’t agree with this at all, the stats show a scratch golfer is missing 6 or 7 greens a round, someone off 4 or 5 is missing more greens than they hit. My experience of playing with 0-3 handicaps is of course they are better all around, but the real difference is short game, always getting to at least 6-10 feet when out of position and making close to half of these putts. They they tend to make it up with wedge play on par 5s. Consistent ball striking will get you around most greens in regulation, but will leave you with plenty of up and downs if you are hoping to break 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

exactly. I was doing a direct comparison on a round I scored well in to my average round. Stats were identical with the exception of my short game. Up and down jumped massively on this day which resulted in a serious improvement in my score. WOuldn't have happened with other parts of my game, improvement for sure but not to the same degree or impact

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yep, I struggle to break 80, but each time I shoot 82 or 83 I look back and generally find one penalty stoke and a couple of easy up and downs not taken. If it’s 86/87 it’s generally another couple of penalty strokes, or one off the tee. I thought getting to single figures was what made you a good golfer, but I’m still rubbish enough, but so most guys above 3 or 4 that I play with, they are just a bit more consistent. If you are consistent enough as a ball striker to think about breaking 80, it’s all about your misses and then your short game. You are going to miss half the greens and fairways. ,Miss them on the safe side, so no penalty shots, then miss greens on the bail out side to give easier up and down, whether that’s short, long or left and right. (Generally always playing the centre green yardage but playing for the miss)

that is why something like GIR and FIR is misleading and focusing on one is mistake, 1 foot in the fringe is not a GIR and so is missing it being pin high and 100 yards right, that is what someone on 20 is doing

Just as a 30 foot putt on a par 3 is not the same as a 6 foot one

That is where the difference is and where the low handicappers make up shots and the others don't

Of course you need to be good at all areas, but no one area is more important

If you are good from tee to green you will put way less stress on your short game

Proximity is key, GIR is a blunt stat for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Where you can pick up shots is different for each person.

I tend to go over my rounds after them and add up where I feel I dropped the shots. I'll attribute them to drives, woods, irons, non-full shots, chipping, bunkers, putting. I find this really useful to see where the most room for improvement for me is. When playing on a standard course, on a good day I could still drop two shots from a bad drive - all it takes is one. On a bad day it could be 6 shots (when you're only hitting 12 in a round, that's a big one!). Now that I'm on a course where I'll hit between 1 and 4 drivers in a round it's still a major source of dropped shots some days. The problem here is that I'm not hitting it more, so I'm less reliable when I do. On a standard course putting used to also be a source of dropped shots. Silly three putts or missing short ones for up and down.

Now, on Corballis the non-full shots can be the source of 5 dropped shots on a good day. On a bad day maybe 12.

But it's different for everyone. For some people they don't hit the ball a long way and are rarely in trouble from the tee. Or they consistently hit the green from 80m away. Whereas they might shoot a similar score to me because they're hitting long irons into greens and a bogey is therefore a reasonable score. Or they're hitting a lot of fairway woods and bound to drop a few there.

I wouldn't worry too much about where people typically drop shots. I'd just look at your own failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

spent 2 hours practising pitching from 100m and putting last week and played first 18 since today. Prob best round in 3 months, hit the middle of the green on a lot of holes and had 2 putts for par on a good few. Left at least 6 puts the exact same 2-3’ short, but had no problem tidying up with the second putt after practising a lot last week.

from someone who probably most practises driving and lob wedges, this seemed a much better return. I drove OK today, not good or bad, but didn’t seem to overly affect the round. The scoring was in getting up and down a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I shot a 98 on Sunday. After an 88 and an 89 in prior 2 rounds, it was disappointing. However, it felt like a much better round. I played the round with 1 ball (granted I did recover it from a close OOB). My striking was really good and I had no real duffs. On reflection, I counted 12 shots lost to not making easy up and downs or 3 putting. I actually chipped and putted well but I couldn't get the weight of the chips or the line of the putts right on the day. I've played a few courses recently with very different greens and I think that played into it. There are many ways to return a bad score other than hitting the ball poorly 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Shot 80 on Sunday. Kept to the plan. target score in brackets

1-3 [+2] : +1

4-6 [+2] : +1

7-9 [+1]: level

10-12 [+2]: +1

13-15 [+1] : level

so 3 over after 15 holes, when I was aiming to be 8 over, i was cruising

16-18 [+2] : +5

Made a good bogey on the 16th, I was unlucky not to par 17(got 2 bad breaks on the hole) and then a triple bogey up the last after my only bad drive of the day.

I got nothing in those first 15 holes though. I had 11 birdie putts and made none of them. 4 of the putts were from inside 10 feet. Playing great though and i feel under no pressure on the golf course since changing tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

I was half thinking of your system yesterday when playing, and while it didnt do anything to influence shot selection for me, i did find it a good way to refocus the mind. Every 3 holes was a form of a mini game, and it meant if I had a bad run, that was wiped and it was 3 new holes to try and beat the target (+2 for me). Or the opposite, if I went on a run, that was banked and a new version of it starts again on another 3. Whereas on other days, I'd foolishly start thinking 'todays the day' kind of stuff for a low round.

Must try it again next time and see if it helps. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

39 points off 24 today with a 91. I deliberately didn’t keep track of my points today and just focused on the next shot. 2 bad errors off the tee and a slip resulting in a sliced hybrid OOB cost me the chance to break 90 for the first time and probably a real chance to shoot mid 80s. 5 of my best 8 scores on WHS have come in the last 6 rounds so the game definitely improving and handicap falling thankfully. The tips discussed here definitely helping 👍

Advertisement