Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive modding in regional forums

Options
  • 11-10-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi,

There is a deliberate and intentional aggressive moderation in the Donegal forum . The moderation style is off the cuff . It is against the actual charter of the sub forum and it's appears the purpose is to stifle discussion that the Mod doesn't enjoy,depending on mood.

Today the Mod banned 'terms' being used in a discussion thread in which such terms would be appropriate. Then proceeded to ban me from posting on the same thread based on a need to take the topics subject matter to DM. Which is evidently and clearly against the sub forums charter and the forums charter.

It is a flagrant misuse of power and a ploy to ban posters from the sub forum so it can be left in an echo chamber.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP as this isn't DRP related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I just want to post to agree with listermint above. The way the moderation of the mica thread in Donegal forum has been handled by mod muffler has been very disappointing. Since this topic has started to attract wider attention he has decided that he is not going to tolerate any form of balanced discussion. Effectively if you do not agree with "100% redress" you are not welcome.

He threadbanned me for questioning the reported size of the protest last week (one which I personally observed - and indeed put maths behind my estimation), yet it's alright for others to post wildly inflated crowd sizes. Once it agrees with the narrative he supports it's fine.

I see now he's added banned terms "McMansions" and "Blank Cheque" the best two terms to quickly summerise an unlimited uncosted scheme to rebuild one off houses, 40% of which are 175% the size of the average house. The use of these terms in thread was for that purpose, not to rise or goad.

I had suggested previously that someone else should moderate that particular thread, since the current mod was a partisan contributor. I think this suggestion should be looked at again. There are other legitimate points of view on this topic other than backing the protests without question and this should be heard if posters want to make that case - even if it makes uncomfortable reading for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I haven't posted in the thread but I have for the past month reported about 5/6 of Mufflers posts and actions on the thread but unfortunately no other mod has done anything about it.

I think he should to step back from modding this particular thread as it seems to be too close to the bone for him and he is abusing his powers with impunity and stifling debate about a topic that is going to get a whole lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry but this is nothing but a witch hunt.

I've had to stop posting in that thread because of the constant trolling by MrMusician in particular.

Every 5 minutes he (and others) post baiting nonsense with the same old buzz words - McMansions, blank cheque etc. Constantly snidely suggesting that the victims of the Mica scandal are chancers just looking for a freebie payout from the government so they can benefit from free cash.

It has been explained over, and over, and over again that nobody wants a blank cheque. They just want to be made whole. Musician, Listermint and others have been told time and time again to stop using emotive terms like those above and yet they continue to ask the same questions, over and over and over in an attempt to get a rise from those suffering.

They will no doubt argue that their questions are valid, and some of they may have some substance. But the fact remains that these questions have either been answered, or simply can't be answered until more details emerge but these guys still love rolling out the same old stuff over and over along with the inevitable dose of victim blaming rolled in for fun.

I totally understand that this is a contentious issue, but there is I believe a thread in the Politics section that people can argue in til the cows come home. The thread in the Donegal subforum is naturally full of people facing bankruptcy and homelessness because of this issue and of course should be moderated with a more protective approach.

I've never understood why these folks come to the Donegal based discussion to stir the pot rather than stay in the Politics one.

Muffler is doing a good job in the face of relentless baiting and the only criticism I've had was that he didn't boot out these hateful trolls sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. As an affected homeowner, it would appear that there is no sympathy or empathy and the posters named above are merely trying to get a rise out of already stressed homeowners.

Mr Musician tried to say that he drove past the protest last Friday and that there were only 2,500 people there. He used 'maths' to back it up. His maths is as defective as the blocks my house was built with.

It's a very emotive topic for anyone stuck in the middle of it but we get posters demanding answers to questions that we simply don't have answers for. I stopped posting in the mica thread in the politics forum for this very reason.

The moderating in the Donegal forum is fair IMHO.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

How is the moderating fair in the thread of the the mod is only calling out the people who don't agree with 100% redress?

Also he is posting some of his own posts in bold as if they are a mod instruction.

It is time for him to either be a mod or a poster in that thread as he is taking it too personally.

The trolling is only coming from those who don't agree with 100% redress.

Posts in bold, from a moderator, ARE a mod instruction. That's how it has always been.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The idea that anything other than full support is trolling is the core problem here. An echo chamber has been created, the modding is not balanced and I wouldn't even consider posting in that thread due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What do you mean, no sympathy or empathy? I don't think anyone has said the homeowners should be left without help, certainly not those named above.

Posters are looking for answers that every protester should have, if they are in any way engaged with the topic. Questions like, why do you think the state is responsible for this? What does "100% redress" even mean? I mean, if the last one can't be answered coherently, what is it you even want? These are reasonable points and shouldn't be banned.

You had someone claiming that there were 30k there (in a space about 2000sqm lol) yet that poster wasn't sanctioned. It's only one side that's being moderated here.

When you come and post here, you have to take the rough and tumble of not everyone agreeing with you. If you cannot back up your arguments, well that's on you. One shouldn't be depending on moderation to shut up dissenting opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there no Mod in this forum to review? Where to these disputes usually sit now?

The fact two posters on this very thread have called me a troll shows the extent of poor moderation in the regional forum. It's gone beyond reasonable at this point. Creation of a regional echo chamber .

• Advertisement

Where are you getting the 2000sqm from? You've plucked it from the sky. All those questions ^^^ have been answered previously. You already know why people think the state is responsible. You've been banging that drum since you started posting about it. What is 100% redress has been asked and answered previously too. We would like our houses returned to the way they should have been the same way the Dublin properties were with pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

At what point does an opposing argument become trolling?

I'd say when you repeatedly parrot the same few lines despite having been thoroughly disproved and refuted, time and time again. As one poster above alluded to, references to mcMansions and chancers looking for money are nothing more than derogatory terms that add nothing to any discussion - not a question of being pro or anti redress - clearly looking for nothing more than a rise out of people.

When posters come into a thread, post a load of nonsense, are disproved, then a week later come back and do the same thing with the same faulty arguments - how is that not trolling?

Can we keep this about the subject matter at hand please. This thread isn't intended to be a rerun of the one sided mica debate that goes on in the Donegal forum.

Neither should it be a thread for you and others to call me a troll which is against multiple charters.

I'd like for you and your two buddies there to go off and pull every single post I made on the forum and show my where I used the term mc mansion or any other repeated claims . You won't find it because it doesn't exist.

You, others and the mod are keen to run everyone out of the forum that has questions about the redress scheme and how it's operated. Forums cannot turn into miniature fiefdoms. This is an open forum and not a playground for individual mods to police by their own rules. We have charters for a reason and procedures for a reason.

This is a fine example of poor moderation on that forum and it doesnt appear to happen anywhere else to be honest. This is an emotive topic I understand but the moderator has made it personal and thus has impacted their ability to abide by the charters.

It's not one-sided. You and others were given a platform to air your opinion on the matter. You got a warning from a moderator and you ignored it. That's on you.

That's untrue , the moderator is adding terms that can't be used during the debate on their own whim. That's not moderation. It's against the charter. That is on them. Note the moderator said if I have anything else to get off my chest to take it to pm rather than posting. So they banned me from posting without warning. Again this is outside charter.

We have card systems and warnings for a reason.

Abysmal personal moderation. Simply not following the rules and doing what they liked. Coupled with abusive posters like yourself following people around the site calling them trolls. It's a seige mentality and it's bizarre.

I agree we have charters and mods for a reason - so that threads arent full of people taking the p*ss or deliberately goading others into a reaction.

Also discussion actually happens - and threads dont repeat the same 3 arguments ad infinitum.

But lads it was 20-30k yesterday are we revising back down now ... Whatever the figures are there is compromise needed to get this over the line. And it won't be 100 percent redress for all with blank cheques.

Just one of many references from yourself to blank cheques or unlimited money being asked for - except that it isnt the case, it never has been, and the only people to mention blank cheques are people (like yourself) intent on smearing the protestors by deliberately misrepresenting their aims. THis has been refuted several times in the past few months on that thread (and others) yet you continue to use these dishonest arguments - either you are hard of reading, or you are deliberately trolling.

Blank cheques is only an outlawed term based on the mod deciding it was yesterday. That's not moderation. You have zero interest in debating the subject matter only attacking people as is evident in this thread .

The term blank cheques quickly became a pejorative on that thread - and despite the intentions behind it being thoroughly debunked time and time again, you and others continued to use the term and the push the (false) narrative that said protestors were seeking unlimited monies to rebuild their houses, which is untrue and has been refuted multiple times.

What is that if not trolling? Why would you continue to use the term and push a false narrative despite it being repeatedly debunked? That is the crux of the problem here.

The blank cheques term has been pulled up and condemned by the mod on a number of occasions.

It was put on the banned list the other day because certain posters keep bringing it back up to get a rise out of the victims.

• Advertisement

Not true. I and many others (including Muffler) have been very critical of some aspects of the campaign. There has been widespread criticism (by 100% supporters) of the blocking of the M50 and also Paddy Diver's position as the main spokesman for the campaign.

So there are things that I don't support.

The main reason that the thread gets derailed is because some posters ask for information that isn't available, push avenues that have already long since been discussed to death, and then inevitably throw in the term "blank cheque" or similar.

And I'll ask again, why are these posters so interested in arguing with the victims in the Donegal forum? If you want to accuse thousands of victims of being scroungers looking for free money, can't you do that in the politics thread?

I haven't been abusive to you. I didn't specifically call you a troll. It happens throughout Boards where specific terms are banned. This is not a new thing.

It hasn't and it was just added to this Blaise list .

Zero credibility and zero credible arguments the only witchhunt going on now is a pack of posters from Donegal hunting down dissenters. You are all here.

I'm interested in debate. You are only interested in being abusive.

Once again in this thread you are slinging accusations at me. I never once called anyone a scrounger or looking for free money back up your claims or be off with you. This is a cynical ploy to get people to feel like your a victim here by throwing slurs at me that I've never made. Guilty by association is it.

Ridiculous and obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, but you did thank a post on this thread where they were called a troll.

Unfortunately there's no option to select which part of a post you are thanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

unfortunate indeed. You do think there is trolling going on you're just smart enough not to name names.

There's the option to not take part...

Nothing but targeted and relentless abuse.

The sooner a review is carried out of the moderation the better .

I'd imagine the review is ongoing. For my part, I support the moderating in the forum. I don't see any targeted or relentless abuse but there you go.

Yes. I do. That's why I said it. There's no secret.

• Advertisement

Lol do people need safe spaces now? Stop getting all precious about being abused.

Lots of people have brought up the term blank cheque, or similar terms. The most recent incident was by Listermint. If LM has used the term before, then they're guilty of dragging it up again in full knowledge of the history of the thread. If they haven't, then they're only guilty of ignoring the arguments that went before.

If it's the former, then trolling is a fair description. If it's the latter, then the common sense thing would be to accept the warning from the mod who explained that it was banned due to previous issues.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of why you lovely wonderful nice people feel the need to beat down the victims of this scandal in their own back yard rather than in the politics section. Does it give you a sense of moral or intellectual superiority?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement