Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Shot my best ever score today. For the second week in a row I’ve shot my best round so I’m delighted to be striking the ball so well. I’ve only recently started to keep track of my putts and it’s only now that I’m starting to play better and my handicap is coming down that I’m paying more attention to each and every shot, particularly the putts. I had 34 putts in my round today and still broke 80. All my work for the next 3 or 4 weeks is on my short game. If I can shave a couple of putts off then I’ll really be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

35 points off 17 today. First decent round on my home course in months. The non full shots and putting killed me. I left myself 80-105m to the green on 7 occasions. 6 times to hit on and two putt for par, once for bogey. I hit zero greens out of 7. I'd guess a 17 handicapper should be averaging getting down in about 3.5 shots from that distance, so 24.5 shots. I took 31. I didn't get down in 3 from that distance once. Of my 18 dropped shots today I'd attribute 8 to catching those shots fat (and one thin). I also had 5 three putts. None of them from positions you'd think a three putt is likely.

My other 5 dropped shots were from deciding to play the index 1 as a par 5 (my only 0 pointer), and 4 decent iron shots that just didn't find the green and I didn't get up and down.

But to go from a series of mid 20 point rounds, I'm actually heartened from what should be an infuriating round. I'm stilll not convinced my putting is that bad, I just need to practice distance control. And even those cut down shots in trying to shift my weight on more to keep them down. I think I'll get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

funny time of year for golf for me. Between holidays and catching up with people I have fallen out of weekend warrior mode. Played last Sunday in the members comp. Early start of 7.30 or so.

Made a really sluggish start. 5 points for the first 5 holes. Ball striking was abysmal off the turf. Missed two easy putts, left a chip short which cost another shot. Add to that a bad drive and one or two more just absolute crap shots costing a full shot on a course which just knows how to punish you. Had a reset moment on the 6th hole, clubbed up and focused purely on a clean contact. Set up a par. Kept clubbing up and it served me well for the rest of the round. Rythym is so important for this game, got into a nice Rythym, easy swinging at the big target every time. Made one birdie on the par 5 but never really threatened a bird after that. Comfy pars and one or two bogeys.

Ended up with 35 points which after the start was great going. Playing of my new single figure handicap also which was nice and felt a bit like an affirmation. The poor start gives me encouragement that I can go even lower again. Looking forward to the rythym of the weekend warrior

Holy mother of the blessed fruit... horror show of a round yesterday

Weather was perfect, gentle breeze but pretty much a non factor. Had about 3 hours sleep which might go someway to explaining why I played my worst round in the last 3 years.

Started off ok, bogey on the first from a rubbish lie. Was on green in regulation on the next two holes but two three putts. Into the bunker on the par 3 4th. Got up and down except it took me 3 attempts to get up. Crap lie on 5th from a slightly pulled tee shot, failure to take medicine set up another double. Striking was poor all round, wasn't in the game at all. Playing with 3 good golfers (1 of them an angry man who threw his club once, beat his bag another time...).

Just bad, all around bad. Hard to put a finger on it, I am thinking its mostly the lack of sleep. But also have spent zero time at the range working on technique and feel in the last 2 months, playing lots and feel maybe I have fallen into some bad habits, making the wrong adjustments and compounding those very bad habits. Iron play has gone to hell specifically. Going to book in some more range time this week and will see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Genuinely, golf is absolutely crazy game. Scratched 5 holes on the front yesterday and had single digit points at the turn. Went around the back -3 to end up beating my handicap. I have absolutely no way of explaining the start but the back 9 was brilliant. A great thrill to put together a string of holes like that.

• Advertisement

I had a week off last week and got to play twice - Monday in Tramore and Tuesday in Gold Coast. I played very badly both days but didn't score all that badly - 34 points the first day and 31 the second. Putting was awful - distance control for longer putts the problem as always. 9 three putts over both days. The chances for up and downs aren't the problem, my chipping is decent and I'll usually get a couple and run most of them close. But even from 15 feet there's a chance I'll leave myself a 5 footer for the next.

My driving wasn't great either which was disappointing. I had been nailing that club, but the dreaded slice came back to me this week. I still hit good ones, but I lost 3 from the tee in Tramore and 1 in gold coast. But by far my biggest problem was catching those 3 quarter shots fat. They've always been what drags me down more than anything else, but the rest of the game I can see coming together (even when I have 9 three putts in two days), but those shot are just dreadful and I give myself so many of them in a round. I've actually never had as many as I had in gold coast on Tuesday. It was an open comp and they set it up for the older golfers. Which is great - just €15 entry, I'd say there are a lot of guys playing it every week. But the tees were ridiculously forward. For the two par 5s on the front 9 I went behind trees from the tee, so had to play a 9 iron and a gap wedge to get over them. For two of the par 3s I hit a 9 and an 8 iron from the tee. Those two 9 irons and that 8 iron were the only times on the front 9 I hit longer than a gap wedge. And it was the same story on the back - I hit a 6 iron on the par 3 and then for the last 3 holes I hit 6 iron, pitching wedge and 3 wood into the greens for my approach shots (2 par 5s). Again, they were the only times I hit longer than a gap wedge. To be honest, I probably wouldn't play that again because it was a bit frustrating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got out yesterday for the first time since the birth of our first child 5 weeks ago, and was like a kid at Christmas on the way to the club. Got there early, stretched, did some practise putting, and proceeded to lose two balls in the trees on the left of the first hole 🤣 Hit a few good shots over the next few holes, even with my Driver still being very erratic, and played some solid golf after that, getting two birdies on holes i rarely score well on, so was happy with how it went overall.

Playing an interclub match tomorrow, so hoping i can not repeat that start.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

20pts front 9 and feeling good then the heavens opened and I limped home with 31pts. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Played the monthly medal on Saturday. First time breaking 100 shots, was going well until the 17th hole. 16 strokes on the last two holes to finish with a 98.

Was disappointed with the finish but happy with breaking the 100 shots. Have recently changed both my irons and my swing so its an improvement overall.

Well done - always nice to hit a milestone. And I wouldn't worry about the last two holes too much. It shows there's easy opportunity for improvement.

However well someone scores, they always could have shot lower. You got under a hundred - I'd say when you think back on the round you could get that down to 90 fairly easily. The guy who finally goes around level par - it could easily have been under par. Even the guy who goes around in 60 shots on tour I guarantee you looks at a few holes where they could have made it a 59.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Myself and a mate were actually discussing this after our round on Saturday. I shot +8 with 3 tiddlers missed from 3 foot and said "that should have been a 74/5" easily.

Then we said how even when you shoot a great round there will always be shots you felt you left out there and the round could have been 2/3 shots better.

A three footer is one you should always be hoping to make. But I wonder what the rate of success is for amateurs through the various handicaps.

And while we always look back at where our round could have been better, we don't give anything like that scrutiny to where it could have been worse! If you were making three footers all day - that's probably something you can't rely on every time. Or the far more obvious strokes of luck like hitting a tree and still having a clear shot to the green, stopping just before water, hitting the flag on a chip that was running off the green, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nobody ever mentions the bad shots that they got away with when looking back in retrospect. It’s usually the ‘ah I got a couple of lousy lip outs that go in on another day’ or ‘got a couple of awful hops of the ball’.

They rarely mention the thinned shot that ran 150 yards onto the green or the putt that was going 15 foot past but hit the flag and stopped ha. That’s just to put a little perspective on it really. Generally over time it evens out.

Well played on under 100 - Like the guys said - take it as a massive positive you hit under it for the whole round and ignore the last two holes as a separate entity.

whopper trip down south. Dooks, BB Cashen, Waterville & O'Mahoneys Point

Dooks

Wonderful course. Stunning day. Had an erratic day playing wise. Birdied the par 3 8th then it was a mixture of pars and bogeys with 3 double bogeys in there for good measure. Ended up with 34 points playing off 9. Loved every inch of the course. Not sure what they were thinking when they built the clubhouse though. Looking out onto the one side of the area that isn't a world class view. The grub and the course itself more than made up for that

Cashen

Shot exact same score as the day before in dooks. Cashen is a mad course. Its like corballis on steroids. You need to take iron of the tee and be super accurate where you place the ball. Had a birdie on the 3rd hole. Loved the greens on both Dooks and Cashen (same grass on old course also), anyone know the type of grass? its a very thick grass, looks long and flat but the ball rolls across it so nice. 34 points playing off 9

Waterville

Wow, what a set up they have down there. The clubhouse and facilities are the nicest I have seen anywhere. Started off really well. Parred first two holes with a real good look at birdie. Stuck ball in water on 3rd but managed to make bogey. then it was bogey par bogey par all the way home. I made a balls of the last hole, my body was well shook. Early tee time of 8.10 am, drive down from killorglin meant a 6am start. Doubled the last to score - 33 points of 9

O'Mahoneys Point

Final course of the trip. Picked a parkland. We had a birdie comp going over the 4 days. Everytime anyone scored a birdie, everyone put 5 euros into the pot. We had 10 birdies (8 golfers) going into O'Mahoneys and we doubled that count on the last day. The winner of the comp was the last person to hole a birdie on the trip. idea borrowed from NLU. First 9 holes was okay, had 18 points with a mixture of birdies and pars. Back 9 I took off. Had 3 birdies, 2 of which were mm from eagle. Ran a few others very close. Was -2 for my back 9, first time ever under par. Managed to split the pot between 3 of us. Stableford score for the round 41 points of 9

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Had probably my worst rd on Saturday with work society, 3 hrs sleep after night shift probably exasperated a shoulder niggle I have. 1st drive out of bounds poss, took a provisional which didn't make the end of the tee box.. eventually got up to 1st drive... Gonzo.. scratched 1st 2 holes, 7pts front nine, didn't improve back 9, 13pts on back. Only for the 3 other players entertained me all day I would have walked off after 9.. 😭 big difference from the last 2 months. I'm putting it down to lack of sleep..🙏🏼 weekend off golf will aid my shoulder and hopefully back at it in 2 wks.

Played in the West Cork Shield in our course on Saturday. 4 ball better ball, and we shot 38 points which i was happy enough with. Driving was shocking for the first 7 holes (bunker on the 1st, topped it on the 2nd, topped it on the 4th, pulled it left into OOB on the 5th, pulled it into the water on the 6th). Then my playing partner suggested i put the ball further forward in my stance, and i hit every fairway for the rest of the round, while absolutely smashing it. Was absolutely delighted, as that's been by far my biggest issue lately.

Looking forward to getting out and trying it again this weekend.

Won my first competition of the year on Sunday. 41 points in some not so good conditions. Course was very wet, so wasn't getting much run on the ball, but that actually helped me once or twice on some wild drives. Driving was hit and miss, but my short game was excellent. Was up and down on about 8-9 holes, with no 3 putts.

Nice to get a win...been far too long. Cut 1.3 shots too, so currently hitting my goal of being under 14 by the end of the year (13.1 atm).

Had 31 points on Sunday with 4 dings.

Found it really difficult to keep double/triples off the card in the last couple of months.

For the 14 holes i finished on Sunday i was -3 to my handicap but 3/4 dings kill a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭boccy23

I've been finding the same recently. Had 19 points on first 9 (9-hole course) with 1 drive OB scuppering the card.

Second time around had 13 points. Blanked the 13th out of trees by trying to do too much. Blanked the last with a knocked drive. Had 3 putts horseshoe out and touched the hole with 2 more that could have dropped.

38 points in New Forest on Saturday. I played okay, hit some good shots. My distance control on putts had been atrocious, but I only had 2 of those putts on Saturday (both resulting in 3 putts). I had two scratches, including the last which was annoying. Both mainly the result of taking a club too much and landing on the downslope after the green. I came up short on a couple of holes too, but the worst consequence of that was a chance of an up and down. While the hazards tend to be in front of the green, the worst punishment can often be on the back. A bunker will hopefully just be one dropped shot. If you land on a downslope you can run miles off the green. In my case yesterday into meadow grass and onto a path behind a hedge. I couldn't find anything about the path on the card so I took an unplayable. It may have been OB. It wasn't a comp anyway.

We played from the yellow tees which I found annoying! In fairness, on the last hole I hit a 6 iron from the tee and one of the others hit as good a driver as he had hit all day and we were about a yard apart. So they were certainly the right tees for him. I'd have enjoyed a bit more distance.

I had played the course a fair few times a few years ago and I was surprised that I'd forgotten most of the lines from the tee. It caught me out a couple of times, but the course is so open you can go a long way wrong before you're in serious trouble. But I do love the course with the exception of the index 1 12th hole. There's no good way to play it for par that I can see. To carry the stream you need a very big drive to a very small landing area. You can't really go over that tree on the fairway if you want to make the green. You're either too close to it to get over it or too far back to make the green. You can go right of the tree, but again you're looking at a very small area to leave the ball to have a clear line to the green. And to play it as a par 5 it's a bit of a boring hole. I went with the hit it at the tree and punch it low up the fairway. It worked out, I ended up pin high for birdie (I didn't make it). I had my first par for 4 points in roughly 19 years.

And that round has knocked my only good round out of my last 20 scores, so I'm up to 18.3 now. I didn't like the handicap going up so much so I played a few away courses recently. 4 of those 6 away rounds are counting towards my handicap and 4 of 14 from Corballis are. I find it funny that I am now regarding rounds with a couple of scratches, a couple of bad three putts as decent rounds. A part of me thinks these should be frustrating rounds, but instead I'm relieved to be coming in with a respectable score.

• Advertisement

Shot +9 gross on Sunday there with 4 double bogeys. Pretty frustrating that I can't keep those off the card or else i'd be playing off 6/7 rather than 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Similar to yourself in my last round, at the weekend.

I had 3 birdies in the round, but 6 doubles, mostly from small silly mistakes

Won club matchplay singles semi final on saturday.

Was giving up 6 shots to my opponent but was in control for most of the round. We halved first couple of holes. 3rd hole is index 1, long par 4 into the wind which is tough off the tee and a tough approach shot into a narrow long green, so many ways to lose a golf ball here. I managed to get a good shot off into the middle of the fairway. My opponent very unfortunately had someone shout fore on his backswing and caused him to go into the heavy stuff. Lost ball and a lost hole.

I won 6th hole and then the 7th hole with a brilliant approach shot but gave back a hole on the 8th by losing my tee shot.

I won 10th before finishing the match on the 15th. I missed short putts on 12, 13 and had a lip out on 14th. Was even par for the back 9. I played very well.

After the match we had a good chat about how it went. In every round of the comp i have been giving up shots and I reckon I have not just halved but won the majority of those holes. I think having a shot gives you a psychological disadvantage because it encourages conservative play. As the person giving up the shot I have to be aggressive, unless my opponent plays himself out of the hole then I need to go for greens and go for putts.

Anyways, very happy with how I played. If it was stableford I was pushing 40 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

For matchplay, who goes first on each hole?

Also, for handicap purposes, if one player is off 12 and the other off 14, are the 2 shots applied to Index 1 and Index 2 or are they on Index 13 and 14?

Should be a coin flip for the first hole I believe, though sometimes it is offered to the lower handicapper to lead off. Then its whoever won the last hole.

if there is a two shot difference then the handicap is applied to index 1 and 2. Effectively the lower handicapper goes to 0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just on your last paragraph here, I find that a real plus of the WHS system adjusted gross score as it means my round isn't completely destroyed by a bad hole. I played a comp a few weeks ago where I took a 9 (don't ask 😂 ) on our first hole which would have basically ended my round before it began but because of the adjusted gross I just said to myself to forget about that hole and try break 85 the rest of the way in. Played relatively ok the rest of the way and my adjusted gross ended up at 86 and a score differential of 13.6. One of my last counting scores was falling off so if I had have given up or played badly the rest of the round I likely would have went up a bit but instead I just went up .1 because of it so managed to keep myself around where I want to be. Probably my last qualifying score this year and leaves me needing to cut about 2.5 off my handicap to reach my aim of single figures next year. Looking forward to the challenge already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

That adjustment was in the old system too though, clause 19 (if i remember correct). For handicap purposes any big scores were converted to net doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Think in our place it is whoever is on top of the drawer gets the Honour

38 (17/21) points off 9

This is such a weird game. Really feel like I didn't play particularly well but the score suggests that I played well. Makes me think I can drop a good bit more in terms of my handicap. My putting was solid. No 3 putts!! But didn't hole anything outside of 6 feet. Cold topped the ball 4 times which cost me 3 whole shots. Pulled approach shot on 7th hole which resulted in only scratch of the round. Wedges were poor when normally they are a strong part of my game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm a beginner, so my rounds are nowhere near as impressive as everyone else in here. But I went out and played Elmgreen for the first time today. It was my 4th ever full round of golf having previously only played Dunboyne R&R. I immediately noticed the difference in quality between the 2 courses. Like night and day.

I made par on the first hole which set me off to a good start. Throughout the rest of the round I had a couple more pars but the best part of the day for me was making my first ever legit birdie. I chipped in from about 10 yards off the green. I felt like I'd just won the masters!

A few holes later, on a par 4, I was putting for birdie again and left it hanging on the lip. I still don't know how it didn't drop. But to be that close again was very encouraging.

I did have a couple of blow-up holes where I had a complete meltdown. Shot a 10 on one hole and had a few 8's and a 9. I need to learn to hold it together and not completely implode when things go wrong. I find where I slip up for some reason is usually my 2nd shot. I'll almost always duff it a few feet in front of me but then follow that up with a decent 3rd shot. If I can tidy that up a bit I reckon I'll shave a good few strokes off my score.

All in all, I still haven't broken 100 yet so as I said it's nowhere near impressive. But for me, I feel like it's the best I've played so far. Dying to get back out again asap!

Advertisement